Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old November 10th 2014, 09:25 PM
Cause everyone's just too weird

Default Re: Sonic Highways the HBO TV series - discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo3001 View Post
Well, for example the whole "he's studied music, can read music.. A very valuable assett to the band" - thing seems uncomfortably ironic.
I think you're reading too much into it. He was saying Chris is the only one in the band who can actually read music. He was, in other words, making fun of everyone in the band except Chris.
Old November 10th 2014, 09:40 PM
Winnebago Life

I think it all comes down to the first time they met. On the Back and Forth documentary, when they finish playing a song, you can totally see Dave was totally blown away and that Chris was the right man for the job. But Dave wasn't telling him all that! He sorta clapped a little like saying 'not bad'

I'm sure Dave kids around a lot, but deep down, he has nothing but admiration (and maybe a little healthy envy!) to Chris
Old November 10th 2014, 10:20 PM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by matirocker View Post
I think it all comes down to the first time they met. On the Back and Forth documentary, when they finish playing a song, you can totally see Dave was totally blown away and that Chris was the right man for the job. But Dave wasn't telling him all that! He sorta clapped a little like saying 'not bad'

I'm sure Dave kids around a lot, but deep down, he has nothing but admiration (and maybe a little healthy envy!) to Chris
I think Chris is probably one of the best "musicians" in the band along with possibly Taylor. He brings a lot more skill and technique required for most of the Foo's songs and probably underutilized until SH. It seems like this is definitely his breakout album. Even though not the oldest, he feels like the older brother that keeps the other kids in line. He's all business and that's not a bad thing to have.
Old November 10th 2014, 11:16 PM
There's something out there...

The one thing that's always made me feel just slightly weird about Chris's place in the band, despite the fact that he seems thrilled to do what he does, and I really think Dave has been giving him more credit at least since WL (most notably, always making a point of introducing him as "lead guitar") is that he usually seems so low in the live mix. Maybe it just seems that way because a lot of the time the he's playing the lead part alone while Dave and Pat are tag teaming rhythm, (or that i've personally only seen videos and recordings of shows, not the actual live experience) but I find 7 times out of 10, you can't really hear much of what he's doing. Maybe it's my imagination, but it seems to be the case fairly consistantly. It's so weird and frustrating.

Sorry for the rant, and continuing the thread derail. I love the band, this is pretty much the only thing that consistantly bugs me a little bit.
Old November 10th 2014, 11:41 PM
Have you found your way around

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFooFan View Post
I think you're reading too much into it. He was saying Chris is the only one in the band who can actually read music. He was, in other words, making fun of everyone in the band except Chris.
Eggzactly ... there's no way he's bashing Chris in any way, and if so it is certainly only in jest. Anyone taking that any other way is just not 'with it'.
Old November 11th 2014, 09:33 AM
Raider of Lost Arks

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked_gravity View Post
Eggzactly ... there's no way he's bashing Chris in any way, and if so it is certainly only in jest. Anyone taking that any other way is just not 'with it'.
If Dave didn't think Chris was good enough, he wouldn't be in the band. It's not like Dave hasn't made that decision before with band members. I don't think there's anything to it.

Old November 11th 2014, 06:29 PM
tired of wearing black and blue

Los Angeles preview

... I miss L.A.
Old November 13th 2014, 04:56 PM
Old Rocker

Default Sonic Highways - Simply Amazing

Sonic Highways - get it now if you don't have it. . . and it's simply "much watch TV" so if you don't have HBO - go to someone's house that does and visit for an hour or so!!

I’d like to say that I was blown away by Dave's first foray into the "interview / documentary world with the Sound City movie.

As a 50+ year old musicologist I sometimes feel like a dinosaur in this world full of sound bites and clips on YouTube. The days of pulling out an album and digesting the entirety of it seems to be almost gone. . . but not quite!

Dave did an amazing job of stringing together some amazing history along with great interviews with many of the principles. I thought his strength in that movie was his interviewing style where he just posed the concept and allowed the person being interviewed to run with it. I think that produces the best results for documentary style settings. I was seriously engaged in that film and simply loved it.

Then comes the Sonic Highways series on HBO. I waited for it to begin, had a party on the night of the first show and we all watched and seriously engaged with what Dave was doing.

These shows are simply first class, very well thought out and amazing!!

The thought of heading to historic studio’s in various cities and composing songs based on the interviews they did in those cities is a stroke of genius and quite intimidating for those of us who are musicians.

I play in a few bands, write and record some music but obviously not like the professionals do. So to watch some of that process and see it come to fruition on the screen is simply mind-boggling for me.

The idea of sticking in a few “local” folks for solo’s and such on the recordings is also very cool. Zac Brown’s break in the Nashville show was very cool and trippy. . . .Gary Clark, Jr’s solo in Austin was simply face-melting in its simplistic majesty. Of course, all amazing guitarist in my book do thinks simply, with a blues background and it’s all about the phrasing – which perfectly describes Gary Clark Jr. in a nutshell.

If you haven’t ordered Sonic Highways yet – please do so. Vinyl is the preferred medium – trust me on that!!

Great Job Dave!!
Old November 13th 2014, 05:06 PM
A star burned out

Default Re: Sonic Highways - Simply Amazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsnaketex View Post
Great Job Dave!!
thanks
• Jan 14 2001 - Rio de Janeiro | Jun 24 2006 - Osasco/SP (Jackson United) | Jun 26 2006 - São Paulo (Jackson United) | Apr 7 2012 - São Paulo| Jan 23 2015 - São Paulo | Feb 27 2018 - São Paulo | Feb 28 2018 - São Paulo •
Old November 13th 2014, 05:09 PM
Fresh Pot

Thumbs up Re: Sonic Highways - Simply Amazing

I fully endorse this post.
Old November 13th 2014, 06:44 PM
I'll Stick Around

Default Re: Sonic Highways - Simply Amazing

Quote:
Sonic Highways - get it now if you don't have it. . . and it's simply "much watch TV" so if you don't have HBO - go to someone's house that does and visit for an hour or so!!

<snip>
I completely agree.

I have to say I didn't really expect much from Sound City, just another music documentary. But I absolutely loved it, it was so interesting and full of insights into recording and music history.

Sonic Highways is just the same, I think Dave may almost have missed his calling, he is an excellent producer/director (I'm not sure which he does, or what the difference is to be honest) and interviewer.

And what's more, the songs off the album become better when you have watched the back story in the episode and know what it all means. I had my doubts about the album when it was first revealed what it was going to be, but every time I listen to one of the songs I like it more.

I hope they do more stuff like this, I'd love Dave to do some UK based music documentaries.
Old November 15th 2014, 05:46 AM
Old Rocker

I think Dave is so wide-eyed and excited by this musical archeology dig he's on across America that he simply exudes that excitement in the episodes on HBO.

And I truly think that's why it is so cool to the audience. We get a bit caught up in his excitement!

I am really enjoying this stuff!!
Old November 18th 2014, 01:20 PM
There's something out there...

Preview for New Orleans

I am so excited about this episode.
Old December 6th 2014, 07:25 AM
Ready on your mark

Jezebel: "Dave Grohl's Sonic Highways Systematically Erases Women in Music"

Piss. Off.
Philadelphia, 2016 (Chevy Metal)
Sydney, 2017 (Chevy Metal)
Adelaide / Brisbane / Sydney, 2018

FooFightersLive.com
Old December 6th 2014, 10:13 AM
Raider of Lost Arks

Jeez. Bitter much?

Old December 6th 2014, 11:46 AM
the user formerly known as mexicanFOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by matineeidyll View Post
JESUS! this is straight up laughable:

Quote:
Hole is not mentioned.
ummmm ok.

and also

Quote:
Nor Bikini Kill who were not from Seattle....

Let's just ignore that note.
On a relevant side note, Emmylou was on a lot of episodes and I still have no clue of who she is but I love how she speaks of music. I need to check what she does.
Old December 7th 2014, 05:43 PM
Old Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beto View Post
On a relevant side note, Emmylou was on a lot of episodes and I still have no clue of who she is but I love how she speaks of music. I need to check what she does.
You need to run and read up on Emmylou. . . then you need to listen to everything you can by her.

She's quite simply the first lady of music. Period.

Plus, she's aged as only an angel should!!
Old December 7th 2014, 10:13 PM
Easy For YOU To Say

Quote:
You need to run and read up on Emmylou. . . then you need to listen to everything you can by her.

She certainly has - she's 67. But Joan Jett is 56 - I mean really, forget the flammable life - give me a hard ass life of rock and roll
http://i.huffpost.com/gen/1727523/th...L-facebook.jpg

I was there
Old December 7th 2014, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matineeidyll View Post
I saw this. I understand where it's coming from but it didn't make a persuasive case. If that's the best they can do, then I feel bad about the state of women in rock history. There were no suggestions of obvious female artists that should have been included, who fit the focus of this project that's supposed to wind up on a Foo Fighters middle-of-the road rock album. Hole? really?

I did wind up thinking to myself that country music did better by women than rock, if we're looking at the historical record (and if we take pure pop/standards/singer-songwriter/folk music out of the mix).

Quote:

She still tours. I see her about every third year in one forum or another. I think she's better on her own--she sometimes teams up with male artists. The Mark Knopfler combo was intentioned but didn't work.
Old December 8th 2014, 10:19 PM
Ready on your mark

I Want to Ride Bikes and Listen to James Gang With Taylor Hawkins

"Taylor Hawkins is my favorite TV character of 2014." This guy understands.
Philadelphia, 2016 (Chevy Metal)
Sydney, 2017 (Chevy Metal)
Adelaide / Brisbane / Sydney, 2018

FooFightersLive.com