Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 1st 2014, 11:59 AM
Have you found your way around

Default Re: Next Foo Fighters album - discussion thread

Anything with Joe Walsh added,is gonna be 150% better.
just ask the fookin Eagles about Hotel California sans Life In The Fast Lane!

cheers dears
Life's Been Good So Far!
Old May 1st 2014, 02:36 PM
The Sidekick

I think you guys are reading way too far into the 3D photo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjonze View Post
Paul Brannigan has posted a piece called 'Album 8 - What We Know So Far' over on teamrock.com

http://teamrock.com/features/2014-05...we-know-so-far
I did something similar on a Facebook group a few days ago, if anyone is interested. Nothing in it we don't know here though.

Quote:
Foo Fighters LP 8 - What we know so far (Updated April 24th 2014 - Info on a NEW recording session)

There is a lot going on and a lot of information floating around in regards to Foo Fighters recording their eighth studio album so I thought I would create a post to note all the facts we know so far, in April 2014. So here goes.

- The band are recording the album in several different recording studios, we believe one song in each but this is not confirmed. So far the only studios they have used are in the United States (more below) but at this stage we do not know if every planned studio will be there, they may record outside the country, they may not. We don't currently know.

- Several band members have spoken of a unique recording technique they are using for this record, something relating to both the way it was written and way it's recorded. To date this method has not been revealed to the public, it remains a mystery.

- Finally on a general note it's confirmed they are also capturing some video footage during the recording process, what this will be used for is not confirmed.

- The ONLY release date given by anyone officially is 'Fall' of this year (Which is 23rd of September to 21st December), mentioned by Butch Vig, who is producing the record. Any other release date you may see is at this point, just a guess or rumour. The only other official information on release date is Dave saying last year that he "had a date in mind already" but he did not specify what that date it.

- The first studio they visited was in January, 2014. It's confirmed that they recorded at Electrical Audio in Chicago, Illinois. The studio is owned by producer Steve Albini but it's confirmed he was NOT present at the studio when FF were there and had no part in recording. The band simply used his studio.

- The second studio the band are confirmed to have recorded at is Inner Ear Studio in Washington, D.C. in February. Pete Stahl and Skeeter Thompson were present at the studio but there is nothing to say if they featured in the recording session or not at this stage.

- The third known studio to be recorded at was The Magic Shop Recording Studio in New York City, also in February. Nate was pictured in the control room of the studio with Butch Vig and Dave was also seen out and about in New York with a film crew.

- The fourth studio visited was in Nashville, Tennessee. 'Southern Ground Recording Studio' in March. This is the studio owned by Zac Brown Band and where they recorded 'The Grohl Sessions Volume 1'. Again there is no confirmation exactly what they recorded or if any other guests were involved in the session. Just that they were there and recorded something.

- The fifth studio was Studio 6A at the University of Texas at Austin in Austin, Texas, also in March. No further details are known on this session, just that they spent approximately a week there to record something.
- In April Butch Vig went on record to say they were nearly half way done but gave no further details away.

- The sixth studio to be used was revealed by Dave Catching on April 23rd. He posted a photo from his Rancho De La Luna studio which showed one of the Studer tape machines seen in Dave's garage. On the tape machine was a reel with 'FF8' written on it, confirming it was FF related. He then tweeted a photo of a Gretsch Drum kit that appears to match the one owned by Dave, used on the Them Crooked Vultures record.

EDIT ON THE ABOVE: It has been pointed out that the kit is not in fact the one Dave used on TCV, only slightly similar. It is therefore likely it was Taylor's kit, not Dave's and it's business as usual on the drumming side of things, at least at this session.

Later in the week photos were tweeting showing Dave and Taylor with Joe Walsh and on April 29th Dave Catching shared a photo of Dave at the studio, noting they had been there 9 days. He also tagged Joe Walsh and Chris Goss on the photo, suggesting they may have been involved with recording but as with previous guests seen at studios, this isn't conformed.

So, in summary/TL;DR version

- Album is planned to be out between September and December this year
- They are using a 'never before done' recording process, both in writing and recording, but this method is currently not known
- They are recording songs in different studios around the US so far, possibly outside US in future
- Six sessions are known to have taken place so far
- The recording is planned to be complete by the end of June
- Butch Vig is the sole producer of the record
- They are recording video footage alongside the audio recording for some unknown usage

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Old May 1st 2014, 03:41 PM
Have you found your way around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
I think you guys are reading way too far into the 3D photo.

I did something similar on a Facebook group a few days ago, if anyone is interested. Nothing in it we don't know here though.
So June's only a couple months off, at most,
there's no rule that they couldn't record more than one thing at a studio,
[especially in light of the Taylor interview which talked about how able they are to get together anywhere and play or put songs/performances together at this stage of their musical history]

Will we see a couple more studios?
Have there been other things heretofore recorded on the DL?

Will Foos keep us guessing?
I'll say Yessing!

cheers, and I am gettin' stoked for later this year!
:>
Old May 1st 2014, 04:30 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FooFan58 View Post
Been away for a while & I may have missed someone else having a similar thought. Anyway....I've been wondering if perhaps "The whole new..never been done before" thing might be the very first album to be released via the new Neil Young music playback system. I think it's called PONO. It's supposed to blow cd/mp3 and all current wav (etc.) and LP sound away.
From some of the other thoughts being posted as to the "NEVER BEEN DONE BEFORE" thing.. Mine doesn't seem quite so outre now, does it?
Old May 1st 2014, 04:44 PM
The Sidekick

It's possible but when was that thing specifically conceived? I know Neil has been talking about improving music quality for quite some time but Dave started talking about this never before thing in January 2013, was the PONO player and download service already in the pipleline back then? Otherwise it would seem risky to promote that as the never before thing and then something happen and it not release.

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Old May 1st 2014, 05:31 PM
Times Like These

I know a double live album exists, but what about a triple studio album?

Ok, so that's just a pipe dream. I hope this new album isn't so far different than Wasting Light
Old May 1st 2014, 05:37 PM
Fooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnrougeux View Post

Ok, so that's just a pipe dream. I hope this new album isn't so far different than Wasting Light
We wish, but then again we wouldn't get the album until next year!
Etihad Stadium,Manchester 2018
Sportpaleis Arena,Antwerp,2018
O2 Arena,London,2017
Nos Alive Festival,Lisbon,2017
Accor Arena,Paris,France,2017
Cheese & Grain,Frome,2017
Krakow Tauron Arena,2015
Milton Keynes National Bowl x2,2015
Lancashire CCC Ground,2015
Invictus Closing Concert,2014
Sound City Players, London,2013
Leeds Fest,2012
Milton Keynes,2011
Wembley Stadium,2008
Manchester City Stadium,2008
Old May 1st 2014, 05:41 PM
The Sidekick

I'm sure some band, somewhere, have done that.

Anyway like FZ said a few pages back it's probably going to be a lot simpler than a lot of the ideas being thrown around. Hopefully late next month we'll finally start hearing more about the whole thing.

Then July and onwards the real hype/tease train will begin, hopefully!

--
Old May 1st 2014, 06:24 PM
I'm a Muggle Fuggin' Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnrougeux View Post
Sandinista! - The Clash was a triple record before being condensed to 2 CD's
Old May 1st 2014, 06:34 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
It's possible but when was that thing specifically conceived? I know Neil has been talking about improving music quality for quite some time but Dave started talking about this never before thing in January 2013, was the PONO player and download service already in the pipleline back then? Otherwise it would seem risky to promote that as the never before thing and then something happen and it not release.
The plan to generate the capital for manufacture was in place for quite some time. Dating back to early 2013
It was thought that a quarter to a half mill would be generated, to get a manufacturer to take it for production. To everybody's amazement it raised over 6 million dollars U.S. in the first few days.
Now in all honesty I do not follow the progress of this thing. Only what I've come across on either Yahoo or MSN. A 160 GB unit is expected to sell for about $300. If the audio quality is all that is purported, compared to the cost of an IPOD this is very competitive.
Given Dave's real interest in working to get the best sound he can (the Wasting Light and Sound City projects) and his previous associations with Neil Young...And there you have my line of logic and rampant speculation

Last edited by FooFan58 : May 1st 2014 at 06:36 PM.
Old May 1st 2014, 07:11 PM
How Do You Do

it doesn't go with the 'song writing' part, or the recording. you're flogging a dead horse here

Admin @FooFightersUK
Old May 1st 2014, 07:25 PM
Fooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.B.gene View Post
it doesn't go with the 'song writing' part, or the recording. you're flogging a dead horse here
True.If i was that Pono thing i would be disappointed, but i really can't see that this would be the unique thing in the way the album has been written/recorded either.
O2 Arena,London,2017
Krakow Tauron Arena,2015
Leeds Fest,2012
Milton Keynes,2011
Wembley Stadium,2008
Old May 1st 2014, 07:36 PM
How Do You Do

I think it's best people stop guessing (I know it's fun) and wait until it's officially announced. It'll be so amazing to be WOW'd by the news, it'll be more exciting...it's like not sneaking a peek at your presents before Christmas Day! Totally worth the wait.

Admin @FooFightersUK
Old May 1st 2014, 07:43 PM
Fooper!

Quote:
I think it's best people stop guessing (I know it's fun) and wait until it's officially announced. It'll be so amazing to be WOW'd by the news, it'll be more exciting...it's like not sneaking a peek at your presents before Christmas Day! Totally worth the wait.
But speculation is all part of the fun! It's what is keeping us going until Christ knows when!
O2 Arena,London,2017
Krakow Tauron Arena,2015
Leeds Fest,2012
Milton Keynes,2011
Wembley Stadium,2008
Old May 1st 2014, 08:31 PM
I'd rather leave than suffer this

It's been mentioned a couple of times that they might be recording direct to tape, with no effects post-recording, but maybe this could be taken a step further and that they are recording the album in sequence as well. So, if they're up to studio 7, or whatever, then they're also up to song 7 on the album. Literally recording the album onto one tape.
Old May 1st 2014, 08:51 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
Oh, Okay.
Old May 1st 2014, 08:53 PM
The Sidekick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhoundnz View Post
It's been mentioned a couple of times that they might be recording direct to tape, with no effects post-recording, but maybe this could be taken a step further and that they are recording the album in sequence as well. So, if they're up to studio 7, or whatever, then they're also up to song 7 on the album. Literally recording the album onto one tape.
This sort of idea is surely much closer to the real thing.

--
Old May 1st 2014, 10:33 PM
How Do You Do

Evil Re: Next Foo Fighters album - discussion thread

new photo of Dave leaning against a brick wall writing something down.....I think this new album will have something to do with brick walls!

Admin @FooFightersUK
Old May 1st 2014, 10:36 PM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
new photo of Dave leaning against a brick wall writing something down.....I think this new album will have something to do with brick walls!
I think this is the best guess so far.
Old May 1st 2014, 10:38 PM
Fooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lustigkurre View Post
I think this is the best guess so far.
Why didn't we think of this before?! It's all so obvious now! Well, the secret is out!Lol!

Is this new pic taken from looking down a camera?
O2 Arena,London,2017
Krakow Tauron Arena,2015
Leeds Fest,2012
Milton Keynes,2011
Wembley Stadium,2008

Last edited by aprilshack : May 1st 2014 at 11:49 PM.