Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old August 27th 2014, 12:44 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Default Foo Fighters Tattoo Help!

I know Foo Fighters tattoo's are pretty big, but a lot of people get the same thing - logos, lyrics, song names, etc.

What I'm looking for is something a bit more symbolic. I want something that doesn't immediately scream "Foo Fighters" something that could pass as just being a normal tattoo.

The idea here is to get a half-sleeve on my upper right arm of a bunch of my favourite bands, all with different meanings. Here's what I have so far:
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Heart with "Dani" inscribed in it. Dani is frequently mentioned or referenced in RHCP songs. Dani isn't one girl, but an amalgamation of all of the lead singers relationships.

The Black Keys - their songs seem to revolve around tough breakups and heartbreak. So to represent this I've chosen a pair of blue female eyes, shattered as if they were made of glass, with the pupils being black keys. Having recently been through a heartbreak I want this to always remind myself about loving and losing than never loving at all.

Jimi Hendrix - as well as the Dani tattoo, I also have a bit of the artwork from Blood Sugar Sex Magik (RHCP) to use as filler inbetween the key parts of the tattoo. Some of this artwork then merges into a guitar tablature of Purple Haze. My best friend has the tablature to Voodoo Chile laid out on his arm, I have always wanted something similar and that represents my passion for guitar.

Queens of the Stone Age - Josh Homme died on the operating table in 2010 from a complication, and was then resurrected - Same happened with my Grandfather. I have chosen to get a heart monitor line, with a flatline section. I also will be getting a radio tuned to KLON, with deaf notes being played from it - Songs for the Deaf.

Led Zeppelin - this is the only one that breaks my rule, I want to get the Zoso symbol, Jimmy Paige is an incredible musician to me and I always loved the idea of Zep's pseudonyms for Led Zeppelin IV. The Zoso symbol is really interesting and again represents my passion for Guitar.
Them Crooked Vultures - in a move similar to Dave Grohl's vulture feather tattoo's, I have decided to get three large Vulture feathers tattoo'd across my upper arm.

The only trouble is what to pick for Foo Fighters?
I'm struggling to find something symbolic that would work as a tattoo without being goofy - no offense, but previous suggestions of having mentos mints aren't really what I'm looking for. And as a previous suggestion also pointed out, UFO's etc wouldn't be a good way to go as Dave has stated numerous times he thinks the name of the band is the dumbest thing ever.
Some of my favourite songs that aren't the big hits are:

Aurora
Have It All
February Stars
New Way Home
Stranger Things Have Happened

But really any suggestions you guys have would help a whole bunch. I'd love to hear anything you can throw out. Even if it's some kind of cool band trivia that means something important and can translate well into an image.

Thanks so much, this is the last piece of the puzzle, then the design is ready!
Oh, and, here's a couple mockup images (yes I know this is on forearm but it's now been changed to sleeve)

http://38.media.tumblr.com/ae5a14243...qp2o2_1280.jpg

http://33.media.tumblr.com/051a8cfc8...qp2o1_1280.jpg

One possible idea I've had recently is how TCATS is an album that pretty much describes the beginning and end of a relationship. I don't know how to symbolise this in imagery, but any suggestions would be brilliant. Thank you!

Thanks!
Old August 27th 2014, 01:49 AM
I'd rather leave than suffer this

Default Re: Foo Fighters Tattoo Help!

Ok, interesting project! Here's a slightly random idea, inspired by Stranger Things Have Happened, but how about a metronome with the ff logo incorporated into it? A common theme with the band is the importance of the human craft of creating music, and a metronome is about as simple as it gets when it comes to the craft - as soon as you have a beat, you have music.
Old August 27th 2014, 03:17 AM
"Close your eyes, turn around"

Thinking of something unique was difficult. I too just didn't want to get the Foo Fighters logo but did want to have something that identifies the band. I just had mine done on Saturday. I love this band so much and wanted to show homage in some way. I ended up with the infinity symbol (like Dave's recent ink) with "Everlong" in cursive beneath it. While it is similar to his, it's unique and represents my favorite song, my unending dedication to this band. Best wishes on creating your design.
Old August 28th 2014, 02:08 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhoundnz View Post
Ok, interesting project! Here's a slightly random idea, inspired by Stranger Things Have Happened, but how about a metronome with the ff logo incorporated into it? A common theme with the band is the importance of the human craft of creating music, and a metronome is about as simple as it gets when it comes to the craft - as soon as you have a beat, you have music.

That's the out of box thinking I'm after. Maybe this an some analogue tape?

And this could tie in to the KLON radio of Queens of the Stone Age.

That's a really good idea. I'm liking this. I'd rather go for something other than a FF logo though. Something about it needs to speak more about it being Foo Fighters than a logo or text..

Something like the fact that Friend of a Friend is the first song Dave wrote, and he played an old guitar with a coin found by the phone.. It's that kind of like... sub-layer of meaning that I'm trying to pick out and convey.

Thanks for the help, keep it coming!
Old August 28th 2014, 02:31 AM
Visiting is pretty...

That actually kind of reminds me of something Dave included in one of the slips in one of the albums, about how he would record music back in the day, like during Nirvana or just after, how he would record a drum track on this old casette thing, then he would rewind it and record over a guitar track, then bass, then vocals, and in the end he would have like a 4-track.. that's pretty cool, I thought. Anyone point me in the right direction for this?

EDIT: Found it in the Greatest Hits booklet. A Tascam 688 Midistudio. So maybe a metronome, the Tascam and then the Tape Reel

Last edited by Chaoslava : August 29th 2014 at 11:52 AM.
Old August 28th 2014, 05:51 AM
Have you found your way around

To me it would seem cool to do the f symbol twice like you see either on music sheets for clef,
and/or even better maybe more apropos for this guitar driven band,

two f stops, or holes on the big guitars, like Daves, or Chuck Berrys ole Gibson model standing side by side for Foo Fighters...
Now,that's Rock n Roll!

cheers n best luck on the tatts
Old September 8th 2014, 12:00 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Any more help on this? I'm still really stuck, and eager to get this tat design sorted and done!
Old September 8th 2014, 02:21 PM
The Boss

Search frequent post archive. This question or discussions about Foo tattoos have been asked a lot.

My suggestion goes with something that means something to YOU. it's going on your body. Favorite song and then a symbol like a bridge that you think is beautiful for bridges burning or a metronome for alone and easy target.

Follow my dog on Instagram: jackthekeeshond
Old September 8th 2014, 03:16 PM
A star burned out

I got the connected "balls" from TCATS on my forearm, it's my favorite album and it's not instantly recognizable because it's a silhouette version of it, a lot of people know what it is, but a lot also don't. it's the effect I wanted for it.
• Jan 14 2001 - Rio de Janeiro | Jun 24 2006 - Osasco/SP (Jackson United) | Jun 26 2006 - São Paulo (Jackson United) | Apr 7 2012 - São Paulo| Jan 23 2015 - São Paulo | Feb 27 2018 - São Paulo | Feb 28 2018 - São Paulo •
Old September 8th 2014, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post
Search frequent post archive. This question or discussions about Foo tattoos have been asked a lot.

My suggestion goes with something that means something to YOU. it's going on your body. Favorite song and then a symbol like a bridge that you think is beautiful for bridges burning or a metronome for alone and easy target.
Great suggestion, that's pretty much what I did. The infinity symbol, which is representative of so many things, with "Everlong" in cursive underneath it. I'm happy with it
Old September 8th 2014, 09:56 PM
Visiting is pretty...

You could get a tattoo that one of the guys have!? See Dave's feather tattoo on his forearms?
Old September 9th 2014, 12:10 AM
A star burned out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carvery View Post
You could get a tattoo that one of the guys have!? See Dave's feather tattoo on his forearms?
copying other peoples tattoos is just wrong, it's one thing to get a variation of a popular design, like a koi fish or something like that. but another person's design that's not part of a certain trend means it's personal and that person chose that design for a particular reason private to them.

there's a lot of advice to give regarding what to get tattooed, one of the biggest is DO NOT COPY ANOTHER PERSON'S DESIGN.
• Jan 14 2001 - Rio de Janeiro | Jun 24 2006 - Osasco/SP (Jackson United) | Jun 26 2006 - São Paulo (Jackson United) | Apr 7 2012 - São Paulo| Jan 23 2015 - São Paulo | Feb 27 2018 - São Paulo | Feb 28 2018 - São Paulo •
Old September 9th 2014, 12:57 AM
I'll Stick Around

I've always thought about getting "Temporary" from The Pretender... get it?... Temporary... Tattoo... but it's permanent.
Old September 9th 2014, 01:41 AM
I'll Stick Around

whatever you do, use black and blue colors

"The deepest blues are black"
"Blame it on the black and the blue"
"Tired of wearing black and blue"
"Eyes that can change from blind to blue"
"Turning up in black and blue"
Old September 9th 2014, 02:36 AM
A star burned out

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOOentes View Post
whatever you do, use black and blue colors

"The deepest blues are black"
"Blame it on the black and the blue"
"Tired of wearing black and blue"
"Eyes that can change from blind to blue"
"Turning up in black and blue"
that's very interesting actually, I never noticed that.
Old September 9th 2014, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNESS View Post
copying other peoples tattoos is just wrong, it's one thing to get a variation of a popular design, like a koi fish or something like that. but another person's design that's not part of a certain trend means it's personal and that person chose that design for a particular reason private to them.

there's a lot of advice to give regarding what to get tattooed, one of the biggest is DO NOT COPY ANOTHER PERSON'S DESIGN.
I agree that a direct "rip off" of someone's ink is "wrong". I decided on the infinity symbol, "a popular design", because of its direct meaning to me. It's representation of wholeness, completion, a balance of opposites. It took some thought to the wording that I wanted below it, I knew it would be Foo related but wanted it to have personal meaning to me. Everlong is my Foo anthem and the infinity sign being a direct representation of an infinite flow of "in-breath and out breath exchange" only sealed the deal.
Old September 9th 2014, 03:09 AM
A star burned out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly112 View Post
I agree that a direct "rip off" of someone's ink is "wrong". I decided on the infinity symbol, "a popular design", because of its direct meaning to me. It's representation of wholeness, completion, a balance of opposites. It took some thought to the wording that I wanted below it, I knew it would be Foo related but wanted it to have personal meaning to me. Everlong is my Foo anthem and the infinity sign being a direct representation of an infinite flow of "in-breath and out breath exchange" only sealed the deal.
exactly, designs can inspire and it's absolutely ok, it becomes yours. it's just creepy to reproduce every line of someone else's. the infinity symbol is a popular one, lots of people have it and it's self explanatory in regards to its meaning so I think it's natural to each person do it for their own reasoning, what you're doing though is a lot more interesting because you're adding something of your own to it, that's the best way to get something that's been done a lot but still make it personal to you.
Old September 9th 2014, 03:32 AM

Quote:
exactly, designs can inspire and it's absolutely ok, it becomes yours. it's just creepy to reproduce every line of someone else's. the infinity symbol is a popular one, lots of people have it and it's self explanatory in regards to its meaning so I think it's natural to each person do it for their own reasoning, what you're doing though is a lot more interesting because you're adding something of your own to it, that's the best way to get something that's been done a lot but still make it personal to you.
Thanks!
Old September 9th 2014, 12:15 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:

Ah well you don't have to get an exact copy! Maybe a variation of what he has? He has a feather, and so by having one yourself reminds you of the Foos! Plus I think it looks great!
Old September 18th 2014, 06:55 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Good ideas, getting a little off topic though. I like the idea of Black and Blue theme BUT I wanted the whole sleeve to be black and white apart from the Black Keys eyes which will be a brilliant, deep blue.

More and more I'm considering getting audio tape reel in a loop or spiral around the base of my upper arm, near the elbow, where the sleeve will end. But I need to make it more Foo Fighters'y without having logos, something that is symbolic to look out and only screams "Foo Fighters" once the connection has been made.

Sorry, hard criteria! Haha.