Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old November 2nd 2019, 10:44 AM
Grave Rohl

Default Re: Foo Files Discussion (Latest release - 01020225 on Oct 11th 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmanjs View Post
This also happens to be a cover of a Jawbreaker song.
Danny Says is a Ramones song. Kiss the Bottle is a Jawbreaker song.
Old November 2nd 2019, 12:42 PM
I'd rather leave than suffer this

Oh, I didn’t know that. I’d like to hear Chris sing a little more though. Just need to find the right song.

Entertainment Centre, Wellington, NZ - Nov 25, 2005
Vector Arena, Auckland, NZ - May 5, 2008
Vector Arena, Auckland, NZ - May 6, 2008
Western Springs, Auckland, NZ - Dec 13, 2011
Mt Smart Stadium, Auckland, NZ - Feb 21, 2015
Mt Smart Stadium, Auckland, NZ - Feb 3, 2018
TCV - Brisbane Riverstage, AUS - Jan 25, 2010
TCV - Entertainment Centre, Wellington, NZ - Jan 29, 2010
Creator of the first completely silent album on iTunes.
TWITTER: @BrettBlackNZ
Old November 4th 2019, 07:11 AM
Easy For YOU To Say

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Yeah I don't know anymore, following the 'edition' theory this should be 01, not 02. Unless they goofed again, who knows.

Non-vinyl version of Spill indeed though, shame these aren't officially available to download anywhere although it is possible on certain streaming platforms....
And thanks first here to Hoss for making the Spill addition clear...

Are we totally sure in every instance here that all these are indeed official?

I'm guessing so, BUT they are so all over the place in both spasmodic release (ok sure this one is fine within a mystery theme), but also in quality of overall packaging, and then worst of all in the band (TH) being quoted in not having a clue wtf was going on.

If "one" was trying to work out a pattern, and not just go fuck it it's all just random bollocks from some merch idiot... "one" would like official comment on there being some strategy that linked to something... (um like ahh yes 2020 at the very least) without the tangible "Well yeah, we um kinda implied that maybe for a couple of releases (it will have been MONTHS), but that was just allowing younger fans to "catch up" in an online platform - it didnt really mean anything to what Dave was separately doing".

I see that as a future response.

Otherwise, in digital form only, with a few images gran could whip up in paint... it's only very randomly better than shit so far... though again, given I rate anything digital only as starting at "fuck off and die", with a serious need to immediately inspire any interest (re uniqueness, age etc etc), I am more than detrimentally biased against even the best digital campaign.

This though isn't great, an in terms of "FF release puzzles" it's both boring and verging on pointless (for many).

I was there
Old November 4th 2019, 07:46 AM
The Sidekick

They're definitely all official, those unlicensed things that sometimes sneak onto streaming platforms never get away with having the official Sony/RCA etc copyright notices, plus the label would've pulled them down if they somehow did get accepted. There is no legal loophole for studio releases like there is with some live performances.

If I had to guess, I'd say these are just something someone at the management came up with to keep interest/discussions going on the band in these quiet months before whatever stuff is properly planned for next year turns up. I'm no marketing expert but I suppose it's easier to market stuff when you've already got their attention.

I don't think any proper sold releases will be directly related to these things, as they're so random in content, but that's just my guess/opinion of course.

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Old November 5th 2019, 07:45 AM
Lets sing a song of life and joy with us

Was Times Like These Acoustic released outside of DVD/EP before this?

Pat Smear is actually an android. During one memorable show in England he short circuited, electrocuting Dave whose hair then caught fire

Chris: "You guys, I couldn't hear myself out there."
Dave: "We all heard ya, man."
Taylor: "Yeah, we heard you just fine."
Chris: "Oh. Well, ok..."
Old November 5th 2019, 10:00 AM
Have you found your way around

Default Re: Foo Files Discussion (Latest release - 02050525 on Nov 1st 2019)

Good to get Spill and FFL. Never cared for Kiss the Bottle. I'm hoping they haven't left out World from this era. It's one of my favourite B-Sides! Maybe on a future release?

I'd love to have it on Spotify so I don't have to listen on YouTube anymore

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- Leeds Festival 05 -- MEN Arena 05 -- Hyde Park 06 -- Metro Arena 07 -- Eastlands stadium 08 -
Old November 5th 2019, 07:27 PM
I'll Stick Around

I hope they upload some of those b-sides from the Monkey Wrench, Everlong and My Hero singles. Down in the Park, Drive Me Wild, Requiem, that live version of I'll Stick Around on Everlong, Baker Street and Dear Lover from My Hero that was in Scream 2. And how about the single version of Walking After You ?, I think only the album version is currently on Spotify.

14/09/2014, 23/06/2018
Old November 5th 2019, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgm84 View Post
I hope they upload some of those b-sides from the Monkey Wrench, Everlong and My Hero singles. Down in the Park, Drive Me Wild, Requiem, that live version of I'll Stick Around on Everlong, Baker Street and Dear Lover from My Hero that was in Scream 2. And how about the single version of Walking After You ?, I think only the album version is currently on Spotify.
Most of the b-sides from The Colour And The Shape were put on the reissue as bonus tracks.

Pat Smear is actually an android. During one memorable show in England he short circuited, electrocuting Dave whose hair then caught fire

Old November 6th 2019, 07:15 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgm84 View Post
Down in the Park
This!
Old November 7th 2019, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tias View Post
This!
Buy the TCATS reissue! That was included.

Old November 7th 2019, 07:48 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmanjs View Post
Buy the TCATS reissue! That was included.
I know… I don´t want to buy a CD though..

It´s Spotify availability I´m after...
Old November 7th 2019, 08:04 AM
Easy For YOU To Say

Indeed. Every fan needs a copy of the 2007 digipak 10th Ann Edition.
https://www.discogs.com/Foo-Fighters...elease/2016799

14 Requiem
15 Drive Me Wild
16 Down In The Park
17 Baker Street
18 Dear Lover
19 The Colour And The Shape

Though you had true digital versions of the first four waaay back in 1998 from the Japanese special edition CD EP (and the quality was/is stunning).
https://www.discogs.com/Foo-Fighters...elease/1736120

Hilariously the first official release of Park as a single was called Down In The Dark.

I say hilariously only as I knew about it for years before posting it on Discogs... wasn't until I ran across a Warner exec who really wanted scans and confirmed yes that was real - they muffed the wording (he guessed in a fax where P and D could look very similar) that I posted it. Awesome track.

Only better one for me is Baker Street. I guess because I knew it as long as Dave did (same age), and the original 1978 Gerry Rafferty version has that special something in total makeup that makes you sit up and immediately take notice. Covers are a bitch when you are well known - it's down to two things - do you try an do "your take" on the song, and get panned by all the "nowhere close to right" comments, or do a real "cover" and "copy" a song and get even more panned by the "are you kidding me that's not even close" comments.

So the Foos Baker Street (and the other included covers from those TCATS sessions) were probably pretty quietly slid out in Japan to give those fans the bonuses they paid for in the brand new CD format. They were the biggest vinyl buyers, and also the CD format creators, so I think the band figured it was a nice gesture to go "new format" - else if it had been 1997 it would have probably been a Japanese vinyl EP. We can kick that dead horse for years over the "what if" factor lol.

What's utterly defining about Baker Street in the end (for me) is that it has all the integrity of the original (which a cover MUST have to "score"), and that back to back I like it BETTER. The band have never done that (IMHO) before or since. Best Foo cover ever for me hands down.

Haven't had another Everlong either. So something was seriously "right" there in 1997, no matter what anyone in or out of the band says.

I get older and older (this gets pointed out to me blatantly when I swear at my washing machine putting a hole in one of my walking shirts *I walk a lot as it's my main music time* and as I'm hanging it up I go OH right... 2011 wasn't last year lol.

I just want simple... I just feel simple is where they still shine. No preconceived themes, just go into the studio and jam out a half dozen tracks, refine those. Rif different stuff. Don't be afraid now that anyone needs rock songs based on anything. Concrete felt close to that, (Run, T-Shirt *where the fuck is the REST OF THAT SONG*) yet many parts felt like a band actually trying to recreate... (Floyd etc) and not quite making it). Parts of Sonic had it (Outside), LOTS of Cecilia had it... which was arguably the band recreating themselves, yet in going so the tension seemed to be gone - no pressure, just let rip...

And I say "simple", as a concept. You put 5 incredible musicians in a studio on those terms and the end result will be anything but "simple".

I'm not well known for simple single sentence analogies (dude no shit you scream) but:

Everything In: Nothing Out
vs
Nothing In: Everything Out

There's a lot to be said for just going your own way. So I know we are all kinda naturally concentrated on the past, and 25 years, and box sets, and more power to marketing if they get more old stuff in front of new ears, however they do it.

But I'd like to find 25 (2020) blowing it all away with something people immediately find both somehow totally "wrong" and yet incredibly compelling. That doesn't just grow on you with repeated listening, but utterly haunts you. Because it all builds and works together. Where years later every part feels like it needs the other parts, but works by itself just fine too.

It's a hell of an ask - it describes very few albums (we all have our list of them).

That's what I'm after. I know it's coming. I just want it now.

I was there

Last edited by FooZealand : November 7th 2019 at 08:06 AM.
Old November 7th 2019, 08:34 AM
Easy For YOU To Say

Quote:
I know… I don´t want to buy a CD though..

It´s Spotify availability I´m after...
I get it... I might not "like" it (because I'm just an old school fan that has always bought discs etc) but you should be able to at least digitally BUY every song you want.

On the same basis I actually thought they all were - I don't look for anything old - I have it.

They are missing a major trick there - we should be right on the URL where EVERY FF song can be bought for hard cash. You DL from here - the band gets 60%, the platform gets 40 (say). Maybe even as a FF exclusive available no other way. How hard can that be?

But what do I know...

Oh wait, I know you have no song because it's still CD only. While hours are spent by management on Twitter, FB and Insta posting stuff that has nothing to do with literal music.

This must be the 2019 definition of "Hard (luck) Rock".

Or (try and find an) "Alternative Rock".

I'm sure not being able to just go to one place for each band and get any and everything (for fair money) is half the reason music piracy still works at all.

I was there
Old November 7th 2019, 08:43 AM
The Sidekick

Yeah the 10th edition of TCATS is actually not a great buy if you care about quality. The original album was already pretty loudly mastered, the remaster was even worse. Very harsh sounding. As Foozealand says, the best place for those other tracks is probably the Japanese My Hero CD, or just any of the singles.

With the way streaming services operate and all the myriad of licenses having every track on there is just not going to happen. Even if they did release a bumper B-Sides box set at some point there is no guarantee all tracks would be available on streaming services. Or even if they do, they can be removed months/years later. Just the nature of the beast.

It might be "more work" but buying the CDs and ripping them to your PC/portable media player really is the only way you'll guarantee owning them forever.

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Old November 7th 2019, 09:01 AM
How Do You Do

Thumbs up Re: Foo Files Discussion (Latest release - 02050525 on Nov 1st 2019)

Quote:
buying the CDs and ripping them to your PC/portable media player really is the only way you'll guarantee owning them forever.
this has worked for me for the last...(think's to when I first owned an MP3 player)...16 years.

All these b-sides and rarities that everyone is rediscovering...I've not stopped listening to them since they were initially released. These releases are GREAT for new fans, of course, so I hope they aren't taken down from Spotify at any point.

Admin @FooFightersUK
Old November 7th 2019, 10:47 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Buying CDs is not an option for me.

One reason is that I lack a CD player. Haven´t had one for years. Ok, I have one in the car… And in the playstation... And in the computer... And out in the garage... Oh well, bad reason…

So the main reason is that I´m lazy I guess… If it´s not on Spotify I won´t listen to it..

When I come to think about it I have a lot of ripped b-sides and rarities on mp3 already. Hidden somewhere on a hard drive. My portable mp3-player is long lost though.

Once I owned all released FF albums. Had them in my car. Lost all when the car was stolen. Haven´t bought any CDs since...
Old November 8th 2019, 12:01 PM
Easy For YOU To Say

Quote:
Yeah the 10th edition of TCATS is actually not a great buy if you care about quality. The original album was already pretty loudly mastered, the remaster was even worse. Very harsh sounding. As Foozealand says, the best place for those other tracks is probably the Japanese My Hero CD, or just any of the singles.
Forgot about the mastering being overly harsh on the 10th Ann CD.

Quote:
With the way streaming services operate and all the myriad of licenses having every track on there is just not going to happen. Even if they did release a bumper B-Sides box set at some point there is no guarantee all tracks would be available on streaming services. Or even if they do, they can be removed months/years later. Just the nature of the beast.
Yeah it's sad it's all now such a licensing nightmare. Band's make the music, then their label and management make the best deal they can with as many platforms as possible. Each deal has terms and then locks each party to whatever is agreed re time, ability to do other deals etc.

There was a lot to be said for a plain old record store where you walked in and everything was there in one place. Sure online can't "sell out" of something like stores did, but the corporate entities have still managed to make the digital "world" even harder rather than easier. Add to that sound quality more all over the place often through compression, or the fact there is utterly ZERO resale value on your digital purchase versus a physical one.

They all said "We've learnt a big lesson from Napster", but in the end that was bullshit, as now they all still fight the same fight, only in tacit legal terms against each other. Meanwhile the once implied promise of being able to go somewhere and get everything at a fair price not only hasn't eventuated, it's gotten worse.

Worse for everyone at that - fans need multiple subscriptions. Bands spend stupid lost money on lawyers fighting or enforcing both the deals they made, and DMCA takedowns; costing probably more to the bottom line than ever before. And that simply MUST be true when many bands agree they make more or most of their money now via touring. I laughed the other day watching a new Beatles doc where Brian Epstein insisted on adding more tour dates so fans could see them, because although they weren't going to recoup the cost on the gigs, it would all be more than recovered in record sales. What a shit idea that turned out to be

Different times of course. Yet now for every new "enforcement" entity they pay for, probably 100 new sources pop up to illegally DL the content. Simply because the corp entities STILL don't get it. Maximize content. Minimize source locations. Minimize all cost (consumer and legal). The money floods in because when it's easier to pay stuff all for immediate, legal, quality content than mess with captchas, viruses and still end up with shitty low bitrate re-encodes... 90+% will be on board. Versus 60% now max.

Just throw away any fight on the other 10%. It becomes pointless to fight vs cost recovery. And then what do you know it ends up policing itself... because there is no longer enough traffic ad revenue for most of the uploaders to bother to do it, and it all spirals backwards to where you end up with a good chunk of the other 10% saying it's pointless to spend so damn much time hunting to find to find vs paying.

But it won't probably ever happen now - there is an entire industry piggy backing on artists "for free", draining them of funds and ensuring things don't change so they don't get cut out. One mighty even argue they don't WANT piracy to stop.

Technological progress! Yay!

Sorry - I've hijacked the thread... what were we here to talk about ... oh right - ticket scalpers...

I was there
Old November 8th 2019, 12:37 PM
The Sidekick

Indeed, it's the same with movies/TV shows. The studios haven't learned and there are now a ridiculous number of legal services with exclusive content which is driving a large number back to the pirate routes that the legal services were meant to replace.

We were promised an ideal world where every song you'd ever want would be available at the tip of your fingers, legally. We sorta got there, or were starting to, then things went a bit backwards with all the different services, licensing costs and deals.

If people want to listen to any FF song (or any band) you'd think by now it would be as simple as going to their website, scrolling through a list of all their songs, and buying the ones they want.

Sadly not the case, and never likely to be.

--
Old November 8th 2019, 01:09 PM
Easy For YOU To Say

Quote:
Buying CDs is not an option for me.

One reason is that I lack a CD player. Haven´t had one for years. Ok, I have one in the car… And in the playstation... And in the computer... And out in the garage... Oh well, bad reason…

So the main reason is that I´m lazy I guess… If it´s not on Spotify I won´t listen to it..

When I come to think about it I have a lot of ripped b-sides and rarities on mp3 already. Hidden somewhere on a hard drive. My portable mp3-player is long lost though.

Once I owned all released FF albums. Had them in my car. Lost all when the car was stolen. Haven´t bought any CDs since...
I get all of that. It's a really difficult situation. And also from just what you've said I find it kinda intersting too, just in terms of being a first hand perspective that's so different to how I do things.

So I'm guessing the releases stolen from your car were all CD's? And maybe you got insurance on losing them (or not), but that even though you have CD players everywhere (like you funnily admit - maybe still have a dvd player and that's one too lol), things had moved on enough by then that replacing them seemed pointless?

And you're old enough to have had CD's, and to have had mp3 downloads onto a PC/laptop, and to have had an mp3 player - but that's all distant past.

So I'm left knowing you DL all your music, and (guessing) that you listen to it all on your phone, or maybe over a set top box or TV?

I guess it's clear there's no direct solution to a DL source for the songs you can't find. We can give solutions but they don't fit your situation, which sucks.

But going back to the "so different from me" thing, I'm left wondering if you've ever heard (or considered) a dedicated stereo system. It's the one option you don't mention at all, which is why I say interesting, simply because it now occurs to me that it could now well be something people younger than me simply never consider, while for me it's the entire reason I have a music collection. I'd sooner be dead than without it.

Of course a lot of draw backs - you can't exactly put one in your pocket, you need space, they can be expensive, though second hand Apple might well want more to fill your pocket these days lol.

Just wondering I guess, since when I talk about playing CDs/vinyl, my head is thinking about (often) having a room shaking where nobody can even hear a phone let alone use one. Yet that whole different playback scenario won't maybe be at all obvious (anymore to many) just talking about playing "CD's".

I was there
Old November 8th 2019, 02:03 PM
Have you found your way around

https://open.spotify.com/album/7o3mn...QA28yqy8Fma0Ww

They have added World, Born on the bayou, Razor live, The sign, best of you live.
Stockholm Stadion, Stockholm 062211

Ullevi, Gothenburg 061215