Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old January 12th 2015, 05:44 PM
I'll Stick Around

Default Re: Pocketwatch 2014... Just... Almost Late LOL

Thank you! And I hadn't realized the versions I have heard were all slower that supposed to be. Was that a mistake or did someone just circulate versions dubbed from a slow old tape deck? Funny how this little cassette from Simple Machines has been made into such a big deal simply because it is prime early Dave.
Old January 12th 2015, 06:29 PM
I'll Stick Around

Correction: you guys answered my question already! Duh! I think you guys may have to do a track by track speed correction, if you can figure out the correct speeds at all. Due to the nature of the many sessions recorded on what must have been home studio equipment over three different sessions. Nothing hi-fi or state of the art here.. lol.. but then again that's the charm!
Everytime I listen I'm still impressed at how great the songs are! For early Dave, he just had this great music in him even then, and nice drumming!
Old January 12th 2015, 09:41 PM
Easy For YOU To Say

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid View Post
I think you guys may have to do a track by track speed correction, if you can figure out the correct speeds at all.
Yes that is the plan. I have almost perfect speed corrections for a first track and a last track on a side. From there I will calculate the difference and rate of speed change based on overall side length and track length. It wont ever be perfect but it will at least be scientific enough to stand up until one day maybe any of the other tracks are released in any kind of substantive way.
Old January 20th 2015, 05:52 PM
Line up the bastards...

Wow, gasping to hear this! Gonna download the shit out of it when I get home!
Old February 4th 2015, 07:02 PM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by FooZealand View Post
Yes that is the plan. I have almost perfect speed corrections for a first track and a last track on a side. From there I will calculate the difference and rate of speed change based on overall side length and track length. It wont ever be perfect but it will at least be scientific enough to stand up until one day maybe any of the other tracks are released in any kind of substantive way.
can't wait to hear your final mix, your previous version of Milk is best I've heard so far.
Old February 9th 2015, 11:16 AM
Easy For YOU To Say

Quote:
Originally Posted by Probotly View Post
can't wait to hear your final mix, your previous version of Milk is best I've heard so far.
Just a bump to say all is not forgotten...

King Buzzo (Skeeter) and In Utero 20th Anniversary (Marigold) have been matched to find the actual drift.

I have worked out a proper drift calculation table for the entire tape by song. No point going into that now but it changes by the second, using the midpoint value for each song, so it's gonna be as accurate as I know how.

I've run those edits up to new masters in the weekend.

I've made notes on everything so it can be picked apart by the curious.

Just the editing left to go and that may well now get interrupted by some guys from the US that are apparently gonna disrupt my schedule next week... twice... bastards
Old February 9th 2015, 11:39 AM
How Do You Do

lovely to hear you have so much free time to do this
Old February 9th 2015, 11:54 AM
Easy For YOU To Say

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.B.gene View Post
lovely to hear you have so much free time to do this
Well see, when you were born in the late 60's and you're 46 you just don't sleep... it used to be a carefully guarded secret, then one of the club blabbed...

Almost 1am - enough red wine, time for food... cheese I think.
Old February 9th 2015, 02:26 PM
I'll Stick Around

Just wandered onto this thread - it's like a Valentine's Day gift! Thanks lots for the work you've put into this. I could say sorry you're not sleeping but guess I'm glad you're not sleeping. More red wine for you!

I feel good about the good things; I feel bad about the bad things. I wouldn't changes thing.
Old February 9th 2015, 04:24 PM
Never knowing who to believe

Quote:
Just a bump to say all is not forgotten...

King Buzzo (Skeeter) and In Utero 20th Anniversary (Marigold) have been matched to find the actual drift.

I have worked out a proper drift calculation table for the entire tape by song. No point going into that now but it changes by the second, using the midpoint value for each song, so it's gonna be as accurate as I know how.

I've run those edits up to new masters in the weekend.

I've made notes on everything so it can be picked apart by the curious.

Just the editing left to go and that may well now get interrupted by some guys from the US that are apparently gonna disrupt my schedule next week... twice... bastards
I have some programs I use for recording music that can remove hiss, etc without sacrificing sound quality. Let me know if you need my help.

Old February 23rd 2015, 05:58 PM
Fresh Pot

Firstly, almighty fucking bump!

Secondly, i need to try and compose myself before i write this. I felt compelled to listen to the entirety before posting and i'm a little stirred up now.

So, i've been in Brazil since December and i spotted this post in the single time i managed to jump onto the board while i was there. I wasn't in a position to listen at the time so i've been waiting on this and viewing it as a belated christmas present to myself. (incidentally i saw the boys in Sao Paulo. They smashed it. Dave on the drums! Covers and covers and covers, my faves being tie your mother down and under pressure and dave sang a little version of blackbird, so pretty. Unforgettable night.)

Suffice to say i was not disappointed. I've loved the pocketwatch stuff since i first heard the hissy, grainy bootlegs floating around online. But this.... This is amazing. This is fantastic. I'd always hoped i'd get the chance to hear those songs in a better state and it has exceeded all expectations. Foo Zealand, a massive thanks, seriously. You are a lucky chap to own such gold dust and clearly the right chap to have it. Cheers for putting it out there for people. You made a lot of us very happy.

Gahhhh the fucking drum fills in throwing needles and winnebago!

I need to go and lie down in a darkened room.
Old February 24th 2015, 11:56 AM
Easy For YOU To Say

Quote:
Originally Posted by **foo fairy pheebs** View Post
Firstly, almighty fucking bump!

Secondly, i need to try and compose myself before i write this. I felt compelled to listen to the entirety before posting and i'm a little stirred up now.

So, i've been in Brazil since December and i spotted this post in the single time i managed to jump onto the board while i was there. I wasn't in a position to listen at the time so i've been waiting on this and viewing it as a belated christmas present to myself. (incidentally i saw the boys in Sao Paulo. They smashed it. Dave on the drums! Covers and covers and covers, my faves being tie your mother down and under pressure and dave sang a little version of blackbird, so pretty. Unforgettable night.)

Suffice to say i was not disappointed. I've loved the pocketwatch stuff since i first heard the hissy, grainy bootlegs floating around online. But this.... This is amazing. This is fantastic. I'd always hoped i'd get the chance to hear those songs in a better state and it has exceeded all expectations. Foo Zealand, a massive thanks, seriously. You are a lucky chap to own such gold dust and clearly the right chap to have it. Cheers for putting it out there for people. You made a lot of us very happy.

Gahhhh the fucking drum fills in throwing needles and winnebago!

I need to go and lie down in a darkened room.
You're welcome man - it's not over yet. That was a raw speed recording and we know now it was a little fast. I'm about 2/3 of the way to assembling a final speed fixed version based on the two tracks we know the speed of from CD versions : Skeeter and Marigold. Then maybe one day we'll get the rest and be able to tell how close we got.

I do like that "version" a lot though, slightly fast as it deff is, I think it kinda feels more right somehow but it needs to be redone so that everyone can compare. Then you get to listen to which ever one you like most - either way not much in it but it has to be done.
Old February 24th 2015, 12:32 PM
Raider of Lost Arks

Thumbs up Re: Pocketwatch 2014... Just... Almost Late LOL

I really appreciate the work you're putting into this

Old March 9th 2015, 11:51 AM
Easy For YOU To Say

Default Pocketwatch 2015... Almost... Not Quite Late

Thought I'd post an update on this - hope to be finished in the next 1-2 weeks. Here is the task list / overview on the approach as to how it's being done.

But Mike... we just want the bloody songs... yeah yeah I know
Only read if you are interested - just posting as I've finalis/zed what's left to do. I'm through about 14 but not quite in order.

1 Rip the tape and create masters.
2 Cut the tape rip to just a song for Skeeter and another for Marigold.
3 Test to see how out of whack each TAPE file is compared to the CD file and capture orig lengths and make masters.
4 Match the start of each CD file to each TAPE file by trimming each raw file BEFORE any editing.
5 Compare the trimmed file playback of each TAPE and CD file played together.
6 Trim again to get the start as close to exactly the same start position as possible.
7 Make two trimmed TAPE masters for Skeeter and Marigold.
8 Edit each of the two new TAPE master files ONLY until they match the TRIMMED CD master files, so that when trimmed TAPE and CD master files are played back together for each song they audibly match as closely as possible.
9 Note what the adjustment value is for each TAPE edit.
10 Calculate the length of the longest tape side in seconds - create a table that runs in seconds with an adjustment value beside it for every single second of the length of the longest side.
11 Calculate the position of the midpoint of each confirmed track edit where it lies in seconds within the entire longest side.
12 Apply the final actual adjustment value of each correct final tape edit adjustment at that midpoint position.
13 Calculate the adjustment value per second over the entire longest side so that the change per second matches what is needed to go from the midpoint position of Marigold to Skeeter as placed in stone in 12.
14 Use the resulting drift table with calculated change values per second to simply pinpoint the new calculated midpoint adjustment value of each other song and identify & note what the adjustment value must be at that point as the side progresses in length.
15 Carefully cut each tape side into songs so that each song is saved from the master in a reducing way like taking a slice from a pie until the entire pie is gone - so that there is no cut overlap and all the length of each side of the tape master is used up by all songs.
16 Use the noted midpoint value for each song to edit each time-length version in the same way as Skeeter and Marigold were done.
17 Edit the audio to the best levels (ha great - this is where you usually START lol).
18 Document everything with files so it can all be pulled apart and people can comment etc.

Late mastering - anybunny can do it
Old March 9th 2015, 07:47 PM
Have you found your way around

Default Re: Pocketwatch 2015... Almost... Not Quite Late

Quote:
But Mike... we just want the bloody songs...
That would be me! ... but I really do want it to be at the optimal speed, as determined by the experts (you & simon, and anyone else that has taken these apart). So I will patiently wait, thanks again for doing all this!
Old March 10th 2015, 01:23 PM
Easy For YOU To Say

Final speed Marigold test 1 -sound edit isn't final - speed is.

(DELETED - now irrelevant)

Last edited by FooZealand : March 18th 2015 at 09:15 AM.
Old March 17th 2015, 03:27 PM
Easy For YOU To Say

Default Pocketwatch 2015 - Final Lengths - Final Mixes

Pocketwatch 2015 - Final Lengths - Final Mixes

* Thanks to Dave - 20th / 24th - who's counting.
* Thanks to analogue tape - it's totally dead... uh huh.
* Thanks to Nakamichi for ever making the CR-7A Deck.
* Thanks to Pollyanna's 1996 Album "Long Player" that got played god knows how many times over several months doing this - the best ever "Foo Fighters" album not made by the Foos.
* Thanks to everyone that is or will be a DG/Foo Fighters fan - this is for you.

FLAC - Three zip files:
http://www62.zippyshare.com/v/yXrP33ty/file.html
http://www44.zippyshare.com/v/KjFX0zmi/file.html
http://www45.zippyshare.com/v/hXqXLyF3/file.html

MP3 - One zip file:
http://www65.zippyshare.com/v/ALjMsOcD/file.html

Will post the FAQ in due course but the outline is already up, most won't care how/why and that's totally fine.
I think it's pretty good. Balanced sound across the tape, solid punch that has been carefully matched to consider every rip I know of. Pretty much matches other lengths and that was only checked after I was done which is a good indication the calculations are about as close as they can get. Kinda sad it's all done - where are ALL those Laundry Room tapes Barrett?

Simon - you're free to review, save and re-host/use as you wish. Everyone else enjoy.

Last edited by FooZealand : March 18th 2015 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Added Mp3 Zip File
Old March 17th 2015, 03:59 PM
I'll Stick Around

Thanks FooZealand! Awesome job!
Care to share a high quality MP3 version of it?
I could convert it, but my knowledge in this area is very limited. I don't want to ruin your work using a cheap converter
Old March 17th 2015, 04:40 PM
Raider of Lost Arks

Thanks FooZealand You've worked your socks off on this, brilliant

Old March 17th 2015, 05:40 PM
How Do You Do

which of the 4 'download' buttons, on those links, is it?!