Default Missouri couple wins half of $587 million Powerball lottery

They have three grown sons and a 6-year-old daughter adopted from China who were among about 25 relatives at the news conference, held in the gymnasium of the high school where they were sweethearts in the 1970s.Cindy Hill first learned of the winning ticket on Thursday when she checked her numbers at the Trex Mart bag stores online in Dearborn, a community of about 500 people 30 miles north of Kansas City. She then called Mark Hill from her car. They had bought five tickets."I think I'm going to have a heart attack," she told him. He told her to meet him at his mother's house so he could check the numbers for himself. "He said this is the 'Show Me State,' show me."When they verified the numbers, they traveled to lottery offices in Jefferson City, Missouri, spent the night in a hotel messenger bags and tried to comprehend what happened, Cindy Hill said."I thought ‘This isn't what I thought it would be like, now I'm really nervous," she said. "I'm grateful, but there will be some not-so-good stuff to go along with it." Earlier, she said "You are going to get people coming out of the woodwork and some of them many not be too sane."
She said she and her husband plan to make the most of the winnings by giving to charity, to relatives for college education and handbags other needs, and to the community."We are pretty well-grounded and worked hard all our lives," Cindy Hill said.Mark Hill deferred to his wife for most of the news conference, which was observed by about 300 students from grades 7 to 12 in the bleachers.