Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old October 23rd 2017, 05:56 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Default Re: How We all became mega-fans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
I just bought the TrueFan™ package a few years ago. Nobody else get that? It upgrades you to TrueFan™ status immediately.
Unfortunately I was only able to snag the BetterLateThenNever™ bundle but I'll gladly take that
Old October 23rd 2017, 06:46 PM
the user formerly known as mexicanFOO

Summer '97
Monkey Wrench made me go "woah!"
Everlong made me stay foreverlong.

Ew. It's the truth tho.

I got the Freemium TrueFan™ membership.

Last edited by Beto : October 23rd 2017 at 06:52 PM.
Old October 23rd 2017, 08:03 PM
I'll Stick Around

The Foozer tour in 05. I really enjoyed Foo Fighters and Dave and Nirvana and all that stuff before that show, but I was actually a bigger Weezer fan at the time. The Blue album was the soundtrack to our high school lives back then. So Weezer comes on, plays a great set. My friend even gets picked to play Undone on guitar with the band. I thought, nothing is going to top this. Boy was I wrong.

This was back in the day when the band use to tease with the curtains and then WHAM, curtain drop. Full on rock show! I still remember that feeling of actually seeing Dave a few feet away. Weezer was great and all, but these guys fucking rocked. I was 17 and I caught the bug. There's no going back now.
9/28/08 ACL Austin TX
5/18/11 Little Rock AR
5/20/11 Memphis TN
8/7/11 Lolla Chicago IL
11/7/11 Duluth GA
9/21/12 Atlanta GA
10/26/14 LIB Las Vegas NV
5/27/15 Manchester UK
7/4/15 RFK Washington DC
9/10/17 Lolla Berlin
10/12/17 Anthem Washington DC
12/31/17 NYE Las Vegas NV
4/25/18 Tampa FL
4/26/18 West Palm Beach FL
4/28/18 Atlanta GA
9/1/18 Seattle WA
5/15/19 New Orleans LA
5/16/19 New Orleans LA
Old October 23rd 2017, 09:04 PM
Another place now

Hey, been a member of this forum since 2011, but cannot remember my email or Pw, but I'm back today under new guise. I feel like I need to be here today. I became a foo fan in 2003, after my father passed from a very long battle with Alzheimer's. I was barely 17 when he started losing his memory. My hero was the song I identified with him after I watched him pass before my eyes. I later became a Super Fan in 2011 when I saw The Foos in Tulsa, Lemmy opened. I had never heard of Motörhead before then. A week later, an EF-5 tornado struck my town, my husband and I went around to help victims, and saw things that could never be unseen. That summer I listened to the Foo fighters hard, and then listened more. I wore Foo fighter T-shirts everywhere, with everything, skirts, flip flops- you name it. I've won tickets to shows (thank you!). Years later I stepped way out of my comfort zone and flew across the U.S. All By myself to a concert to see some of my favorite men perform, all on trust of foo Family. The Foo fighters have helped me grow, step out of my comfort zone. I break down lyrics, have guitar riffs emblazoned on my own personal Rolodex ; ) . You have no idea- although I think you do... and so Today I'm a motherfucking Foo fighter Ultra fan. They've been better to me than family- they really have. They are my trust. They are family, Foo Family. Ps, when Dave tells you to stay frosty- yo you fuckin stay frosty. Love them!!!

Last edited by Amy_B_FooHawk_MovedOn : October 23rd 2017 at 09:06 PM.
Old October 23rd 2017, 11:52 PM
Visiting is pretty...

I was gradual. The first album, it was all promoted as the drummer from Nirvana starting his own band. I loved the first album, and Dave built it from there.

My first Foo's show was in '97 at the UBC Student Rec Centre in Vancouver. A little auditorium like room that held about 1000 people. Talk Show (Stone Temple Pilots with a different singer) opened. It was a helluva good show. Saw them again at Edgefest '98 in Toronto, opening for the peppers in Vancouver in '00 (in which the peppers seemed a little dull in comparison), and then had a long Hiatus until I saw them again in Vancouver for the Wasting Light tour.

I'm actually a pretty hardcore Pearl Jam fan, so my Foo Fighters fandom pales in comparison to that. Still it's been over 20 years now of listening to the Foo Fighters. They keep putting out album, you keep listening, then wham it's been 20+ years.
Old October 24th 2017, 12:17 AM
Have you found your way around

Location: second star to the right, and straight on till morning

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaInVA View Post
I was diagnosed with MS in 2001 and the medicine I had to take was a shot, into the muscle in my thigh once a week, next day I felt like I had the flu. In order to get my guts up to shoot myself, I’d watch Foo videos on the Tivo and they’d make me feel better, make me laugh and then I was able to shoot myself.

First show was maybe 2002 in Northern VA and then in July of 2003 I won tickets, a flight and hotel to Montreal (from Virginia) from a radio station.

I started hanging out on this board, made a lot of friends and acquaintances over the year by being on this board nearly every day.

For me the band is he reason I have all these friends (some don’t really care for the band anymore!)
A lot of us (US, Canana, UK, Aus and Europe) have visited one another in person doing things that have nothing to do with the band.

Every time the band does something clever (garage shows, HBO doc) it make me feel proud to be a fan. They don’t fuck off, they don’t come on stage late, they’re just a fucking hard ass working band and I love them.

PS—I have since been un diagnosed with MS in around 2006. Long boring story.

My friend mj has always been the one person "Oh, come on, Atlanta isn't that far! Lets go see them!!!!" she's my partner in crime for the shows and without her I would not have done 1/4 of the stuff I've done.
Donna, you are awesome.

My story: It started with Nirvana... I was 17 in 1990. Their sound blew my mind...

Fast forward a few years, and I hear the drummer from Nirvana put some music out... The rest is history.

I was late to the game on the board. I stumbled upon it one day...lurked around for a while...started posting...and two years ago took a trip to DC, and met some of the most amazing humans on the planet.

The adventure continues...
Old October 24th 2017, 12:38 AM
Visiting is pretty...

how do we become 'official' fans? I'm sick of always having to buy tickets from touts to see the Foo's and wanted to get a chance to buy them early for me n ma 3 girls. It was alright paying twice face value for just me, but now I have plus 3 it gets a wee bit expensive! Thanks in advance for any help. F
Old October 24th 2017, 12:51 AM
Ready on your mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fankiebaby View Post
how do we become 'official' fans? I'm sick of always having to buy tickets from touts to see the Foo's and wanted to get a chance to buy them early for me n ma 3 girls. It was alright paying twice face value for just me, but now I have plus 3 it gets a wee bit expensive! Thanks in advance for any help. F
There's no 'official' club for this band - the closest we've got nowadays is the newsletter, which will send out pre-sale codes (https://foofighters.com/#newsletter). That's going to be your best bet. Don't bother supporting the resellers, that's only enabling them to buy up in bulk and exploit the system again and again. If you buy from touts, you accept the risk that you'll be turned away on the night, so it's not worth it.

Welcome to the forum...also the closest thing to an official club.
Philadelphia, 2016 (Chevy Metal)
Sydney, 2017 (Chevy Metal)
Adelaide / Brisbane / Sydney, 2018

FooFightersLive.com
Old October 24th 2017, 01:28 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
there really is no official metric for being a "fan" for my money if you care enough to post on forum like this its legit enough. Not all of us have the money to buy all the merch and go to all the shows so i think as far as it goes we all just get an A for effort
Old October 24th 2017, 01:30 AM
Harriet Jones, MP for Flydale North

Quote:
Yeah, theres no club. Follow the FF official twitter and Facebook accounts. Follow threads on this board. Make friends and acquaintances on here (people you feel comfortable with, people you can trust)
If you can get presale codes, tickets almost always pop up the closer it gets to the date of the show. Be sensible, be nice but be careful.

Nobody on this board is an "official" fan, or can do anything special. just follow them on all they official social media accounts. Foo Fighter accounts, Dave isn't on any social media.

Best of luck friend. :-)
Old October 24th 2017, 03:18 AM
I'd rather leave than suffer this

I went out for a walk one evening and saw this bright light in the sky. Next thing I wake up in my bed and I only want to play Foo Fighters on my stereo. Just a coincidence? Probably.

Entertainment Centre, Wellington, NZ - Nov 25, 2005
Vector Arena, Auckland, NZ - May 5, 2008
Vector Arena, Auckland, NZ - May 6, 2008
Western Springs, Auckland, NZ - Dec 13, 2011
Mt Smart Stadium, Auckland, NZ - Feb 21, 2015
Mt Smart Stadium, Auckland, NZ - Feb 3, 2018
TCV - Brisbane Riverstage, AUS - Jan 25, 2010
TCV - Entertainment Centre, Wellington, NZ - Jan 29, 2010
Creator of the first completely silent album on iTunes.
TWITTER: @BrettBlackNZ
Old October 24th 2017, 12:24 PM
Did it free the feelings in your spine?

As with all terrible stories, it starts with a boy.
I was in Secondary School, first year I believe (1999/2000) the boy I fancied (read: completely infatuated with) had a Nirvana patch on his bag, cue me assuming the best way to a boys heart is to enjoy the same music (obviously) so I went and did my research, bought Nevermind & In Utero fell in loooove, and forgot about the boy .
From Nirvana it lead me on to the Foos, bought TINLTL and fell (possibly harder) in love and have been besotted ever since.

Never did get the guy, but got two of the most important bands in my life so it worked out for the best
London Stadium - 22/06/2018

Last.fm; lambchop_x
Old October 24th 2017, 02:00 PM
Another place now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckiii View Post
As with all terrible stories, it starts with a boy.
I was in Secondary School, first year I believe (1999/2000) the boy I fancied (read: completely infatuated with) had a Nirvana patch on his bag, cue me assuming the best way to a boys heart is to enjoy the same music (obviously) so I went and did my research, bought Nevermind & In Utero fell in loooove, and forgot about the boy .
From Nirvana it lead me on to the Foos, bought TINLTL and fell (possibly harder) in love and have been besotted ever since.

Never did get the guy, but got two of the most important bands in my life so it worked out for the best
I get it. I have a very similar story as a young 12 year old girl ( only mine involved a cassette tape called "Metallica- Master of Puppets" no lie. And so my heavy metal roots began. Cheers : ) <3. (Jamming to La Dee Da as I type)
Old October 24th 2017, 03:32 PM

Back in the day, I made a mix CD for driving to and fro. I made sure it had I'll Stick Around and Alone and Easy Target on it... a lot of real estate for something that could only hold 10 songs....

Fast forward to a few years ago, my ex, then wife worked for a company that had a box for the Foo show in St. Louis(In Your Honor electric tour), so she won tickets and we went, I loved it, but they didn't play I'll Stick Around(song I really wanna hear live)...End up getting another batch of free tickets for the ESPG tour, and loved it(no ISA)...

Then, my dad get's cancer and has a tracheotomy, Best Buy has a contest to win a Blackberry 7" tablet with Grand Prize being a Foo Fighter "prize pack", so I enter to win it so he can have something to text his friends with, since he can't talk on the phone to them any more...Several months pass, I get home and my ex asks me, did you enter a contest at Best Buy...I say, no, wait, yes...Well, you won the grand prize, a trip to NY to see Foo Fighters...So I call the person back, they fax me the stuff I have to sign. In the meantime, my dad got significantly worse and was in Hospice(in Denver, I'd been visiting him every other weekend as I could afford the flights)...I call my mom and brother and tell them I won, but didn't know if I should accept with dad's health so bad. They talk with him and tell me to accept(this was on Sunday). On Monday, I fill out the paperwork and fax it at around 11:30am ct. A little bit later, I get the call that my dad passed away. We go to Denver for the Denver funeral(he'll be buried back in St. Louis), after the funeral, we drove back to St. Louis, and flew out to New York at 11:30pm(same night)...Spend the day in New York, find out we're gonna see them on Live on Letterman(big secret until now), go to dinner with the other winners at a Pizza place right next to the Ed Sullivan Theater. About half way through dinner, the guys walk in. Everyone makes a beeline for Dave, my ex and I head straight for Taylor. We end up talking for about 15-20 minutes, he asks what this is, I explain that it was a BB contest and the reason I tried to win...He asks about my dad, we end up talking about our dads most of the time(his dad was fighting emphysema at the time and that's why he quit smoking, he wanted to be around for his kids)...They get shuffled back out so they can be guests on Letterman, we finish dinner. We were supposed to be in the first one or two rows, something got screwed up and we ended up in the last row of the upper balcony. Saw a great first half of the show, then security made us get off our chairs(my ex couldn't see anything without standing on the chair) and they moved us downstairs. Eventually we ended up about 10-12 rows back. After the show, the organizer apologized for the seating mistake and told us they'd make up for it...We fly back out 5:30 the next morning so we can get to my dad's St. Louis funeral...

About a week later, I get a call saying I can have 2 tickets to see them anywhere on the current tour, then they call back and say, except Lollapalooza...I chose Denver to help my mom take care of selling the house and so my brother could go too(plus, I already had tickets to the St. Louis show). My brother and I pick up our tickets in Will Call, and they have A/S passes...we had no idea what that meant, so we asked security. Turns out it's After Show passes, so after the show, we went back to a green room type area. Got to hang with Pat, Rami and Chris and their families and friends from Denver. Then, heading out, we see Taylor and talk to him again, he remembers hanging at the pizza place 5 months earlier...(Chris also remembered talking to us, even though that lasted about 30 seconds)...Between the Wasting Light release party(Live on Letterman) and the St. Louis and Denver shows, I joined this place...Been here ever since, not very prolific in the posting like Donna, but this is a great place, especially in Foo Free and the Random Thread when everyone helped me get through my divorce...

eta: when I got the death certificate(I was the executor) the time of death was 10:30 mt on the day I faxed my acceptance, so I faxed it at his exact tod...

Last edited by Dug : October 24th 2017 at 03:35 PM.
Old October 24th 2017, 04:29 PM
the user formerly known as mexicanFOO

Damn Dug, got me a bit teared up. Must've been really weird to go through the coolest experience while going through the worst life experience.

But when did you became the mega fan though? Was it during the tape, during show1, NYshow, DenverShow?
Old October 24th 2017, 05:17 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Think this is a nice topic to do my first post on the forum here.

I discovered the Foo fighters while browsing television channels. I think it was 2009, quite late in the evening when I stumbled upon a concert of a band called Foo fighters in Hyde park, London I'm a big fan of London, so I kept watching what band was gonna start playing in the park where I had been. I'll never forget the start of the concert, loud rumbling guitars (just like they still today start their concerts today) that transformed into a song that, I would later learn, is called In your honor. I always was into rock/punk/metal music and I was immediately hooked to the sound of the band. I watched the entire show shaking around on the couch.

The day after I started watching clips of them on youtube, started listening to their songs and so I was hooked. They are al incredible gifted musicians and you just cant help it but love Dave's performance.

But for me the question is not how I became mega-fan it's why I became mega fan. I have been struggling with some form of depression off and on for years now, but no matter how bad I feel, once I start watching clips of the band performing live, I can just loose myself in the clips just as if I am there. And in those moments I always forget all negative things, and just feel good. That's why I love the foo fighters.

First concert I would have seen them would have been Wembley in 2015, but we all know how that turned out. In the meanwhile I've seen them 3 times live and each time I fall a bit more in love with the band.

Can't wait for London next year! And hopefully Antwerp if I get tickets tomorrow.
Old October 24th 2017, 05:17 PM
Another place now

Dug, did you see the live feed of "I'll stick around" for this years lollapalooza Berlin -It was killer. I started favoring that song, too, when I watched it. Wow. And a what a story, what an experience. Cheers to you, the Foos, and your Dad.

Last edited by Amy_B_FooHawk_MovedOn : October 24th 2017 at 05:55 PM.
Old October 24th 2017, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy_B_FooHawk_MovedOn View Post
Dug, did you see the live feed of "I'll stick around" for this years lalapalooza? It was killer. I started favoring that song, too, when I watched it. Wow. And a what a story, what an experience. Cheers to you, the Foos, and your Dad.
I didn't see it, but I'll scour youtube for it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beto View Post
Damn Dug, got me a bit teared up. Must've been really weird to go through the coolest experience while going through the worst life experience.

But when did you became the mega fan though? Was it during the tape, during show1, NYshow, DenverShow?
I did too while I was typing it. At the time, it helped a lot to keep my mind off things.

I thought they could do no wrong, didn't think they had any stinkers on their albums through the mix cd days(90's)...saw them and loved them, but I think I became a bit weird about them when I got to the board...still not the mega fan that some on here are Although, I guess the mega part would also be from how cool Taylor and Chris were the two times I met them and that they remembered the previous meeting(though I doubt either would now)...

Last edited by Dug : October 24th 2017 at 05:59 PM.
Old October 24th 2017, 06:30 PM
Insert Wookie noise here..

I was 16 when the first record came out, so I was already way into the whole "grunge" scene back then.

I first heard Exhausted on a alternative radio station in The Netherlands. I was imediately blown away by it. But I had no idea who or what band it was. Then This Is A Call was released, and I was hooked. Actually Winnebago was my favorite song until the album came out (b-side tot TIAC). I loved that even more than TIAC.

So been there from the start, and I won't back down until my last breath has been drawn...

Foo for life

(part of my) Record Collection

http://www.discogs.com/user/boyschouten/collection
Old October 24th 2017, 09:52 PM
The finder of things...

I became a fan just this past summer. I was aware of a few songs but didn't know they sang so many that I loved. It's embarrassing.

I also remember all my friends going to see them back in 2000 when they played here. I skipped it.