Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > Tour Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old December 12th 2014, 07:07 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Default Thoughts on back to back gigs

First of all, my apologies if this is something that has been asked on here with any frequency. I did my due diligence with the search function and nothing came up.

I'm curious if anyone has any insight into how the band tends to approach back to back nights. Are the setlists generally identical? For people that have gone to back to back shows, did you notice any major differences at all, or were the two nights basically the same? I don't get a sense that there would be any issue with the band's energy or level of give a fuckedness, since they seem to really take pride in bringing it every night. Is there any real benefit of going to both shows beyond just seeing the same professional rock and roll spectacle twice instead of once?

I've got a floor ticket for the second night in Toronto, and a somewhat decent seat on the first night. I'm wondering if I'm just going to (at least mildly) spoil my fun in the pit by seeing the same show the night before, minus Dave's spit and sweat. I'm also going to both alone, so the social/party aspect of a double night of rock isn't really a factor.

What say y'all?
Old December 12th 2014, 07:23 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Default Re: Thoughts on back to back gigs

I would say go. It is Foo after all. I would say you could check out foofighterslive.com. That site has an awesome live show guide that will give you a great idea on how set lists change from show to show.
Old December 12th 2014, 07:29 PM
The Sidekick

Over the years back to back shows at the same venue have generally been maybe 80% the same each night, just a few changes on the second night because they know people will go to both. So in a 25 song setlist, I wouldn't expect more than 5 songs to be different on the second night from the first.

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Old December 12th 2014, 07:30 PM
everything fades in time it's true...

The bulk of the setlist will be the same because there are certain songs that everyone expects to hear the Foo's play. I imagine that if they were to skip Everlong, people would go mental.

The songs that get swapped out are what make each show unique and awesome. You may get White Limo or you may get Weenie Beenie, you just never know.....or hell you may even get Alone + Easy Target and be the envy of half of this board. Enjoy the shows!
Old December 12th 2014, 07:35 PM
Have you found your way around

Back to backs I can think of that you should check setlists for are:

Las Vegas at the Joint in 2008
Wembley
Los Angeles at the Forum in 2011

I was at two of these three, and as Simon mentioned, the setlists were a bit different but not a ton different.
Old December 12th 2014, 10:48 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Thanks! That was helpful. I'm definitely an old school Foo fan if that's a thing, so if it's the back catalogue gems that are generally the difference, then that might make up my mind for me. If I double my chances of catching Good Grief, then that's good enough for me. Or, you know, if they decided to just go crazy and run through the whole first album on the night I chose to scrap... well I just don't know if I could handle that.

And thanks for the other back to backs. I had checked the Wembley gigs, but it occurred to me that any changes (and there weren't many) were on account of friggin' Led Zeppelin, and so probably weren't indicative of their usual two night routine. Then again, maybe they do a few songs with Drake or something

Now I just wish my tickets were the other way around. It'd be nice to be in the pit for the first set with all the pent-up energy that will likely accompany it, then take a load off the next night and just kick back and watch the show.
Old December 12th 2014, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malachi Constantly View Post
Thanks! That was helpful. I'm definitely an old school Foo fan if that's a thing, so if it's the back catalogue gems that are generally the difference, then that might make up my mind for me. If I double my chances of catching Good Grief, then that's good enough for me. Or, you know, if they decided to just go crazy and run through the whole first album on the night I chose to scrap... well I just don't know if I could handle that.

And thanks for the other back to backs. I had checked the Wembley gigs, but it occurred to me that any changes (and there weren't many) were on account of friggin' Led Zeppelin, and so probably weren't indicative of their usual two night routine. Then again, maybe they do a few songs with Drake or something

Now I just wish my tickets were the other way around. It'd be nice to be in the pit for the first set with all the pent-up energy that will likely accompany it, then take a load off the next night and just kick back and watch the show.
Actually I think you'll find you've done it the right way. Trust me when I say that it's hard to go from being up close to being seated away from the stage!

Those two shows at the Joint in '08 were spectacular. Only time I've heard them do 'Low' and 'New Way Home', two of my favorites.
Old December 12th 2014, 11:32 PM
Polite as fuck

They should go every other day now so Dave can save his voice for shows at the back end of the tour. I know of a prominent band that has done this for their last couple of tours for this very reason.
Old December 12th 2014, 11:32 PM
I'd rather leave than suffer this

The Back-To-Back Shows have very little differences... but, to me... it doesn't really matter. The way i see it, it's not everyday you get to see the Foo Fighters play. I go because I like to see them play because they are always entertaining... I guess it like watching certain movies everytime it's on the television.
Old December 13th 2014, 12:15 AM

Sadly, most really popular rock acts have a limited setlist on tour. I understand, because most fans are only going to see one show, maybe every fourth or fifth year, and those fans would disappointed if they didn't hear their favorite hit songs. And many bands try to play some of the new stuff. So there isn't a lot of room for variation.

But two months ago, I saw a band play two nights in a row and they didn't repeat a song. I may remember that forever.
Old December 13th 2014, 01:40 AM

During a leg of the IYH tour I saw them 2 nights in a row in the LA area and I was so disappointed by what seemed like a difference of only 1 or 2 songs that I considered giving up on them. It just seemed so lazy and pandery to the more casual fans. I was rejuvenated when they toured with the acoustic orchestra cuz they busted out some old gems like Walking After You (still get chills about this) and February Stars.

The pandery-ness still bugs me but they make up for it by playing tiny awesome shows with setlists that are less self conscious.

"Dave has a crush on Taylor" ~Howard Stern 4.11.11
Old December 14th 2014, 01:50 AM
I'll Stick Around

At the Milton Keynes gigs, the sets were almost identical, but they had different guests and a few change arounds. Most acts like this don't really change them around in any case.

In any case, its really just a question of if you personally wanna go to both. If you do, you should have a great time and if not, no biggie.

Some bands do bigger alterations than others. Muse normally change 4/5 songs each night, while Arctic Monkeys have been known to change no songs on two night residencies. I'm intrigued by U2's promotional literature for next year's gigs, as Bono is implying they'll have one setlist for first night shows and one for second nighters, although sods law means I probably picked the wrong night for my personal choices.

Hopefully more to follow...
Old December 14th 2014, 02:10 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan View Post
But two months ago, I saw a band play two nights in a row and they didn't repeat a song. I may remember that forever.
Kinda curious who this band is.
Old December 14th 2014, 04:36 PM
This is a blackout...

Springsteen is the only mega-act I am aware of who performs a completely different set every single show. Green Day was pretty good about varied sets until their last tour.

Am always a fan of the second night on a two night stop. In my experience, that is when special things get pulled out on a whim, sets are longer, rules are broken, for whatever reason...and completely agree with others that being up close second after being seated is the right call!
Old December 14th 2014, 04:43 PM

<3 Springsteen <3

He's in a league of his own. It's been nice seeing FF come close to his set lengths the past few tours.

"Dave has a crush on Taylor" ~Howard Stern 4.11.11
Old December 14th 2014, 04:56 PM
This is a blackout...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora Grohl View Post
<3 Springsteen <3

He's in a league of his own. It's been nice seeing FF come close to his set lengths the past few tours.
Yes to all this
Old December 15th 2014, 04:41 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Thanks for all the replies and helpful points! I guess I'd say I'm most worried about Aurora Grohl's point/experience above. The Foos are the only really big, arena-sized band (stadium-sized now, I guess) that I give the time of day to anymore. I know that once you get to that level of professional rock and roll, seeing the same band on the same tour can really diminish the experience, at least insofar as you realize just how choreographed the whole thing really is. I guess I was most worried about having my fragile little punk rock ethos offended by my punk rock hero.

But that's stupid. As has been pointed out already by many of you, that well oiled spectacle is why you go see the Foo Fighters at this point in their career. They do it better than anyone else, and they don't come around every day, so get it while the getting's good. As much as I'd love another chance to see the early, chaotic, anything could happen one night to the next Foo Fighters of yore, that band doesn't exist anymore. But the one that does is well worth the price of admission x2, no question.

Plus, screw me for complaining when so many people are having trouble just catching them ONCE on this run

Can't wait for two nights in July!!
Old December 15th 2014, 04:58 PM
Raider of Lost Arks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jensomniac View Post
Springsteen is the only mega-act I am aware of who performs a completely different set every single show. Green Day was pretty good about varied sets until their last tour.

Am always a fan of the second night on a two night stop. In my experience, that is when special things get pulled out on a whim, sets are longer, rules are broken, for whatever reason...and completely agree with others that being up close second after being seated is the right call!
REM always used to do it. You'd see really different shows every night. I lucked out on the last one I saw when I got pretty much all my favourites.
Old December 16th 2014, 03:34 AM

I realized the other day that I miss REM. I didn't at first but I do now. Though I'm glad that they felt comfortable breaking up and doing their own things.
Old December 16th 2014, 09:35 AM
Raider of Lost Arks

I miss them. I was such a fan for so many years it's weird not having them around. I saw some clips from Michael's interview yesterday where he says that they definitely won't get together again. I'm glad they're sticking to it, but it's sad to me to hear finality.

Foos will never be the kind of band that can play anything at the drop of a hat - they require too much rehearsal/pre planning for that. Which is fine. I guess Dave likes the structure of having a fairly fixed setlist.