Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > Tour Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old June 26th 2018, 09:33 AM
Right down the drain I go…

Default Re: June 2018 - Manchester and London, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchEnemies View Post
Oh well, that's that then.

I'll be curious to hear what people think of the gig. There's lots of rumblings among QotSA fans that Josh is not doing well, and they cut a couple of shows short for no clear reason recently.

Still really wish I could go though! Saw them in November and it was great.
Not active amongst QOTSA fans so haven’t heard anything but they were great in November!
Old June 26th 2018, 10:01 AM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson_Foo View Post
Not active amongst QOTSA fans so haven’t heard anything but they were great in November!
It was my first time seeing them, and I loved it! The audience was a bit rough in my area, but somehow that worked with the general vibe . So wish the Foos would play arenas in the UK...
Old June 26th 2018, 10:04 AM
I'd rather leave than suffer this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson_Foo View Post
Nor me, but that photographer kicking incident kinda indicates there's some issues going on. Maybe alcohol related.

I hope they're good, I really like them just not with the same level of enthusiasm I have for foos. I don't have the time or energy to give to stalking two bands!

They were great in Nov, and the "secret" set at reading was great too. We watched them then Kasabian and it made Kasabian look like amateurs.

GlasVegas, Aug 19 : PULA x 2 June 19 : London x 2 June 18 : James Corden, June 18 : Download Paris, June 18 : O2, Sept 17 : Lollapalloza Berlin, Sept 17 : NOS Alive, July 17 : Glastonbury 17 : Paris, Nov, 20 15 : Berlin, Nov, 2015 : Milton Keynes x2 Sept, 15 : Glastonbury 2015 : Wembley, 20th June 15 : Invictus Closing Concert, London, Sep 14 : Milton Keynes, July 11 : Wembley, June 08 : Reading, 98 : Glastonbury June, 98 : Ozzfest, June , 98 : Shepherds Bush, 97
Old June 26th 2018, 10:25 AM
I'll Stick Around

Yeah basically it sounds like he did better for a while after that incident but is now showing up drunk at shows again. Even drunk/high he can still give a hell of a performance though.

(ETA that's where I got this from https://www.reddit.com/r/qotsa/comme...2p/drunk_josh/)

Last edited by FrenchEnemies : June 26th 2018 at 10:29 AM.
Old June 26th 2018, 10:36 AM
Easy for you to say

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchEnemies View Post
Yeah basically it sounds like he did better for a while after that incident but is now showing up drunk at shows again. Even drunk/high he can still give a hell of a performance though.

(ETA that's where I got this from https://www.reddit.com/r/qotsa/comme...2p/drunk_josh/)
Think he was at Wembley in Dec too.. all over the shop and swearing at security/smoking on stage etc but hard to tell if that's just standard Josh or a real problem.. Hope everything's ok with him though.

Also... hopes have been dashed now that Dave's left the country. Foo blues have deepened All that can save me now is CalJam
Old June 26th 2018, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grohl_My_Life View Post
Think he was at Wembley in Dec too.. all over the shop and swearing at security/smoking on stage etc but hard to tell if that's just standard Josh or a real problem.. Hope everything's ok with him though.

Also... hopes have been dashed now that Dave's left the country. Foo blues have deepened All that can save me now is CalJam
He wasn't like that at Reading, but they only had a short spot to might have been focused on getting as many songs in as possible. No time for swaggers!
The apology video he did said he had some problems he had to address so hopefully he'll sort himself out soon.

Back to Foos, I've just been sent the review in the FT, I'll type it here but I'm missing the end bit. The show only got rated 3/5 and they were referred to as a meat and potatoes band! Doesn't sound like the journo is a fan. or has been to a Foos show before.

"Lots of people like meat and potatoes. They like a burger and chips, sausage and mash, leg of lam and roast spuds. And lots of people like meat and potatoes rock, music thats solid and reliable, guaranteed not to surprise with unfamiliar spice. So many people like it that Foo Fighters could sell out two nights at the London Stadium, around 150,000 tickets, 15 years after they first graduated to headlining outdoor shows in the UK.
There were times when the meat potatoes on offer was a very decent steak frites. Dave grohl has an undeniable talent for songs that are just enough - just passionate enough, just angry enough, just melancholy enough, just surprising enough in their chord changes - without ever being too much to scare of any potential fans.
And Grohl, ever amiable - though for some reason, talking in an accent that made him sound like a cross between the aggressively camp Paul Stanley of Kiss and the butler from some antebellum set movie from the 1930's - was well aware that his job was as much as carnival barker as bandleader. "Ladies and gentlemen" he bellowed early on, "do you know why we're here tonight? We're here to plat some rock n roll music! Do you wanna hear some rock and roll music?" In fact, despite his professed desire to play some rock n roll music, one of the curious things that Foo Fighters spent an awful lot of time not playing rock n roll music.
Five songs in, Taylor Hawkins drum riser rose towards the lighting rig on stilts and - dear God no, he launched into a drum solo. Four more songs, and it was time for a series of band introductions so interminable - encompassing either snippets or the entirety of seven cover versions - that in the meantime trees turned into coal and civilisations rose and fell. Hidden away in those long, long minutes was the evenings funniest moment when Grohl spoke over the piano introduction of "Imagine" of his desire to spread peace and love across the world, and how the crowd should sing along with him, before singing the lyrics of Van Halens "Jump" straightfaced ti the tune of John Lennons song.
There was so much flab that it rather made a mockery of Groh's insistence that the band wanted to play as many songs as possible. Cut out the monologues, the needless solos, the false endings, the extended endings, and Foo Fighters could easily have crammed in another 7-8 into their two and a half hours on stage. Few present seemed to mind..."

GlasVegas, Aug 19 : PULA x 2 June 19 : London x 2 June 18 : James Corden, June 18 : Download Paris, June 18 : O2, Sept 17 : Lollapalloza Berlin, Sept 17 : NOS Alive, July 17 : Glastonbury 17 : Paris, Nov, 20 15 : Berlin, Nov, 2015 : Milton Keynes x2 Sept, 15 : Glastonbury 2015 : Wembley, 20th June 15 : Invictus Closing Concert, London, Sep 14 : Milton Keynes, July 11 : Wembley, June 08 : Reading, 98 : Glastonbury June, 98 : Ozzfest, June , 98 : Shepherds Bush, 97
Old June 26th 2018, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becks12 View Post
He wasn't like that at Reading, but they only had a short spot to might have been focused on getting as many songs in as possible. No time for swaggers!
The apology video he did said he had some problems he had to address so hopefully he'll sort himself out soon.

Back to Foos, I've just been sent the review in the FT, I'll type it here but I'm missing the end bit. The show only got rated 3/5 and they were referred to as a meat and potatoes band! Doesn't sound like the journo is a fan. or has been to a Foos show before.

"Lots of people like meat and potatoes. They like a burger and chips, sausage and mash, leg of lam and roast spuds. And lots of people like meat and potatoes rock, music thats solid and reliable, guaranteed not to surprise with unfamiliar spice. So many people like it that Foo Fighters could sell out two nights at the London Stadium, around 150,000 tickets, 15 years after they first graduated to headlining outdoor shows in the UK.
There were times when the meat potatoes on offer was a very decent steak frites. Dave grohl has an undeniable talent for songs that are just enough - just passionate enough, just angry enough, just melancholy enough, just surprising enough in their chord changes - without ever being too much to scare of any potential fans.
And Grohl, ever amiable - though for some reason, talking in an accent that made him sound like a cross between the aggressively camp Paul Stanley of Kiss and the butler from some antebellum set movie from the 1930's - was well aware that his job was as much as carnival barker as bandleader. "Ladies and gentlemen" he bellowed early on, "do you know why we're here tonight? We're here to plat some rock n roll music! Do you wanna hear some rock and roll music?" In fact, despite his professed desire to play some rock n roll music, one of the curious things that Foo Fighters spent an awful lot of time not playing rock n roll music.
Five songs in, Taylor Hawkins drum riser rose towards the lighting rig on stilts and - dear God no, he launched into a drum solo. Four more songs, and it was time for a series of band introductions so interminable - encompassing either snippets or the entirety of seven cover versions - that in the meantime trees turned into coal and civilisations rose and fell. Hidden away in those long, long minutes was the evenings funniest moment when Grohl spoke over the piano introduction of "Imagine" of his desire to spread peace and love across the world, and how the crowd should sing along with him, before singing the lyrics of Van Halens "Jump" straightfaced ti the tune of John Lennons song.
There was so much flab that it rather made a mockery of Groh's insistence that the band wanted to play as many songs as possible. Cut out the monologues, the needless solos, the false endings, the extended endings, and Foo Fighters could easily have crammed in another 7-8 into their two and a half hours on stage. Few present seemed to mind, it should be said — the air was punched, choruses were hollered back at the stage — but in a week when it had been possible to see first*David Byrne’s extraordinary, immersive performances and then*Taylor Swift’s gargantuan stadium extravaganza, this felt like the 1970s revisited. And not in a good way.

But then Grohl set aside the chatter and the noodling and entered a thrilling closing run of hits — “Monkey Wrench”, “This Is a Call”, “Best of You” and “Everlong” among them — that made one understand the loyalty of the fans, even if one couldn’t share it

3/5"
I've edited enhanced to include the missing bit. The final sentence confirms that the journo is no fan

Last edited by Lost Dog : June 26th 2018 at 12:21 PM.
Old June 26th 2018, 12:16 PM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Dog View Post
I've edited to include the missing bit. The final sentence confirms that the journo is no fan
I mean, I can kind of see how one could see it that way, especially if the music doesn't particularly appeal. But I disagree.

I love Dave's chats with the crowd, I loved the band intros, and I enjoyed the covers (also because i hadn't spoiled myself too much beforehand).

NME gave the Friday show a glowing 5-star review, so there
Old June 26th 2018, 12:19 PM

And I'd hope that NME are better placed to give a balanced view
Old June 26th 2018, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Dog View Post
I've edited enhanced to include the missing bit. The final sentence confirms that the journo is no fan
Thats better!

I reckon the journo came wanting to not like them, I dont see how anyone couldn't have enjoyed it!

Old June 26th 2018, 12:57 PM
Have you found your way around

Quote:
"sound like a cross between the aggressively camp Paul Stanley of Kiss and the butler from some antebellum set movie from the 1930's"
Amen to the Paul Stanley bit!
Old June 26th 2018, 03:13 PM
I'll Stick Around

Hopefully these are accessible for people, Facebook's privacy settings are a pain to figure out -_-

Here's some of Saturday to enjoy

All My Life
My Hero
Chris - Under my Wheels
Taylor - Under Pressure
Monkey Wrench
Dirty Water
Best of You
Old June 26th 2018, 03:28 PM
Visiting is pretty...

I am 45 and have a wide range in music and have seen numerous bands from Fleetwood Mac to Megadeth in my time and hand on heart that was the best gig i have had the pleasure of attending. that gig and the crowd reaction to Dave was unlike anything i have experienced before.
Old June 26th 2018, 03:32 PM
How Do You Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinewelly View Post
I am 45 and have a wide range in music and have seen numerous bands from Fleetwood Mac to Megadeth in my time and hand on heart that was the best gig i have had the pleasure of attending. that gig and the crowd reaction to Dave was unlike anything i have experienced before.
this is why I've been a Foo Fighters fan for over 20 years.

Admin @FooFightersUK
Old June 27th 2018, 09:25 AM
Visiting is pretty...

I don't mind the band introduction bit, but I definitely could do without all the mini covers. it felt like there was 20mins without Dave singing a song. I still loved the gig though I just feel the flow gets broken up by the covers bit. If its voice preservation due to him having an issue with his then I could understand it.
Old June 27th 2018, 09:39 AM
How Do You Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcgrath_1 View Post
I don't mind the band introduction bit, but I definitely could do without all the mini covers. it felt like there was 20mins without Dave singing a song. I still loved the gig though I just feel the flow gets broken up by the covers bit. If its voice preservation due to him having an issue with his then I could understand it.
Yes, it's more than likely to preserve his voice.

Admin @FooFightersUK
Old June 27th 2018, 10:32 AM
Rock Gig Photographer

Full photo album of London 1 here
https://flic.kr/s/aHsmo3fN16

For those who may have already seen my instagram
https://www.instagram.com/raphph/
MK Bowl 2015
Glastonbury 2017
Lollapalooza Berlin 2017
The O2 London 2017