Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old October 7th 2010, 11:35 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Default How does the foo music make you feel?

I just wrote a college essay on how influential the foo fighters have been in my life and i was just wondering how they make other people feel and how they've influenced them.
Old October 7th 2010, 11:49 PM
Have you found your way around

Default Re: How does the foo music make you feel?

When I first heard them it was like the first time I heard music. My favourite band were Black Sabbath and loved them, but when I heard No Way Back on Kerrang radio something clicked in my head. I must have been 13 at the time. The drums were amazing, and I thought 'what the fuck is this', and got all of their stuff. My sister gave me TCATS when I was younger because she loved Monkey Wrench but I never bothered listening to it, she hates them now though. They made me pick up guitar, one of the first songs I learnt to play was Times Like These.
So yeah.. there's my two cents!
Old October 8th 2010, 02:59 AM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grohl's Poor Brain View Post
I just wrote a college essay on how influential the foo fighters have been in my life and i was just wondering how they make other people feel and how they've influenced them.
You are my kind of "Foo Nerd"! LOL

Are you a music major of some sort?
Old October 8th 2010, 05:52 AM
A star burned out

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshizzleX6661 View Post
When I first heard them it was like the first time I heard music. My favourite band were Black Sabbath and loved them, but when I heard No Way Back on Kerrang radio something clicked in my head (...) They made me pick up guitar, one of the first songs I learnt to play was Times Like These.
this is VERY similar to what happened to me.

listening to them for the first time was like listening to music for the first time. sure, I heard music all my life prior to that, but before the foos it was like I didn't have much of a music identity, my criteria was kind of all over the place until then.

that changed when I heard Learn to Fly, it was the very beginning of the TINLTL promotion, it was fresh out of the studio and I think I was about 16 at the time. of course I knew about their existence, but until then never listened to anything and wasn't even sure which remaining Nirvana guy did it. it was that song/video and something did clicked in my head too and I was immediatly hooked. I recognized Dave on the video as being the guy from Nirvana as everyone does, but wat got me really into it was how different it was from Nirvana, seeing the Learn to Fly video was like seeing a band who enjoys deeply what they do and showed me how much of a hard worker Dave is, he was not pulled from the demise of Nirvana, he kept going and created a monster of his own, and being him a former musician from Nirvana the only link to that band, eerything else was different and he didn't do as other famous bands survivors, he didn't earn from his past, at least not as most people do, he NEVER played ANYTHING his former band did, which would be the easiest way to go somewhere, he started again. of course that he had a little help from his fame, which was getting labels interested, but it stopped there, it wasn't even his intention to do all of this, he only wanted to keep playing and it didn't matter if people were listening to it or not. he did started again, Foo Fighters was never that big a band until a few years ago, they paved their way with talent and this is something no one ever does and I think you can count on one hand's fingers how many bands acted similarly.

to me, when I admire a band, it goes a bit beyond the music, I like to see interviews and learn more about their history, that can make or break a band to me, if I find out someone to be a jerk, I will never listen to their songs again with the same enthusiasm. that explains a lot my respect for the Foos, they're a band that grew slowly and solely based on love of making music, respect for the fans and all that.

I ran to the record store to buy all the records they had by that time I first heard them, listened to all of them on sequence and loved ALL of the songs, it makes me feel happy to listen to them, they're honest pieces of work that speaks beyond a lot of things just becaus of that honesty.

and yeah, they made me want to play guitar too, the first song I learned to play was Everlong and after that I learned as much FF songs as I could because it would be easier, I listened to them all of the time and it was fresh inside of my head. I gathered some friends in a small band just to mess around and play Foo songs, we assembled this small band in a place that was like a little farm, it was the drumer's grandpa place, we settled the intruments at a warehouse with a huge door to some great green fields, we spent the day and the whole night playing Foo Fighters songs and that was the first time ever I played in a band and one of the best feelings I had in my whole life.

there's so much more to it that I would spend days writting and I already have a huge text here, practically my own essay on my love for the band. sorry for the huge text, I'm that passionate.

so yeah, here's my 20 cents.
• Jan 14 2001 - Rio de Janeiro | Jun 24 2006 - Osasco/SP (Jackson United) | Jun 26 2006 - São Paulo (Jackson United) | Apr 7 2012 - São Paulo| Jan 23 2015 - São Paulo | Feb 27 2018 - São Paulo | Feb 28 2018 - São Paulo •
Old October 8th 2010, 06:32 AM
my tits are also out for Simon

Horny. I usually start dry-humping the speakers when they come on.
Old October 9th 2010, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNESS View Post
this is VERY similar to what happened to me.

that changed when I heard Learn to Fly, it was the very beginning of the TINLTL promotion, it was fresh out of the studio and I think I was about 16 at the time. of course I knew about their existence, but until then never listened to anything and wasn't even sure which remaining Nirvana guy did it. it was that song/video and something did clicked in my head too and I was immediatly hooked. I recognized Dave on the video as being the guy from Nirvana as everyone does, but wat got me really into it was how different it was from Nirvana, seeing the Learn to Fly video was like seeing a band who enjoys deeply what they do and showed me how much of a hard worker Dave is, he was not pulled from the demise of Nirvana, he kept going and created a monster of his own, and being him a former musician from Nirvana the only link to that band, eerything else was different and he didn't do as other famous bands survivors, he didn't earn from his past, at least not as most people do, he NEVER played ANYTHING his former band did, which would be the easiest way to go somewhere, he started again. of course that he had a little help from his fame, which was getting labels interested, but it stopped there, it wasn't even his intention to do all of this, he only wanted to keep playing and it didn't matter if people were listening to it or not. he did started again, Foo Fighters was never that big a band until a few years ago, they paved their way with talent and this is something no one ever does and I think you can count on one hand's fingers how many bands acted similarly.

to me, when I admire a band, it goes a bit beyond the music, I like to see interviews and learn more about their history, that can make or break a band to me, if I find out someone to be a jerk, I will never listen to their songs again with the same enthusiasm. that explains a lot my respect for the Foos, they're a band that grew slowly and solely based on love of making music, respect for the fans and all that.

I ran to the record store to buy all the records they had by that time I first heard them, listened to all of them on sequence and loved ALL of the songs, it makes me feel happy to listen to them, they're honest pieces of work that speaks beyond a lot of things just becaus of that honesty.

and yeah, they made me want to play guitar too, the first song I learned to play was Everlong and after that I learned as much FF songs as I could because it would be easier, I listened to them all of the time and it was fresh inside of my head. I gathered some friends in a small band just to mess around and play Foo songs, we assembled this small band in a place that was like a little farm, it was the drumer's grandpa place, we settled the intruments at a warehouse with a huge door to some great green fields, we spent the day and the whole night playing Foo Fighters songs and that was the first time ever I played in a band and one of the best feelings I had in my whole life.

there's so much more to it that I would spend days writting and I already have a huge text here, practically my own essay on my love for the band. sorry for the huge text, I'm that passionate.

so yeah, here's my 20 cents.
This is similar to me, too. I have been a fan for about three years now, which is not a lot compared to others here. But in those three years, I've discovered, learned and changed a lot - thanks to Foos.
Like MADNESS said, discovering them was like discovering this whole new kind of music, which was different from most of the shit you hear on air nowadays. I'm very glad that I stumbled upon them, because through them I've discovered bands like Led Zeppelin and QOTSA too.
My first song on the guitar was Everlong and although I'm not super good at it, I just have fun doing it and that's enough for me.
Beside their music, I really like the band members and their way of looking at the world. It helped me to realise I should do what I want and like, without fearing what other people will think of me. Kinda.

Milton Keynes II 2011 | Pukkelpop 2011 | Rock en Seine 2011 | Villa Manin 2012 | Pukkelpop 2012 | Reading 2012 | The Forum 2013 (SCP) | Wembley Stadium II
Milton Keynes I 2015 | Köhln 2015 | Rock Werchter 2017 | AccorHotels Arena Paris 2017 | NOS Alive 2017 | Sportpaleis Antwerp 2018 | Olympic Stadium II 2018
Old October 9th 2010, 12:56 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Nah not majoring in music, but the foo fighters fit my essay topic.
Old October 9th 2010, 02:00 AM

I started out into Metallica, and pretty much like every Metallica fan, the band was the be all and end all to me and every other band seemed lame. I remember my friend having a copy of One by One at his house and for some reason I had instantly decided I hated Foo Fighters.

At school, I played bass and a guy in my class wanted me to learn Monkey Wrench so he could do it for a performance in our music class. He made me a mixed Foo Fighters CD and I learned the song and did it, not really thinking much of it.

Then I got into a relationship with my first girlfriend who was a die-hard Foo Fighters fan. At this point I started listening to that mix CD a lot more. Eventually it was all I listened to. Everlong, before I even knew that everyone thought it was this amazing song gave me this weird feeling to listen to, like it was on a whole other level.

I think what really pushed me over though was getting the Everywhere But Home DVD. That cemented them in my mind as a truly kick ass band.
Old October 9th 2010, 07:42 AM
I'd rather leave than suffer this

Makes me feel great to answer the original question!

In fact I wrote a 7 page paper last year on Dave Grohl and over coming hardships.

I first discovered the Foo Fighters during my 7th grade summer going into 8th.

Im a big baseball fan, and the opening song to the video at Petco Park (Padres) used Times Like These, which I never heard before. But I really fell in love with that song. So after a few games of it bugging me I went home and scoured the internet to find it, lo and behold, the Foo Fighters.

From that point forward they have been my favorite band hands down. They are the one band who I really never get tired of, while I don't listen to them every day, I can also come back to them whenever I'm out of other things to listen to, and they're my go to band for when Im in shit moods.

Love them.

And Dace Grohl inspires me to be a musician.
Old October 12th 2010, 02:46 AM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grohl's Poor Brain View Post
Nah not majoring in music, but the foo fighters fit my essay topic.
Can I ask what the topic was?
Old October 14th 2010, 03:38 AM

Old.
Old October 14th 2010, 07:11 PM
Grand Master of the Jedi Order

Quote:
When I first heard them it was like the first time I heard music. My favourite band were Black Sabbath and loved them, but when I heard No Way Back on Kerrang radio something clicked in my head. I must have been 13 at the time. The drums were amazing, and I thought 'what the fuck is this', and got all of their stuff. My sister gave me TCATS when I was younger because she loved Monkey Wrench but I never bothered listening to it, she hates them now though. They made me pick up guitar, one of the first songs I learnt to play was Times Like These.
So yeah.. there's my two cents!
Fuck. I feel old. I was like 12 when TLNTL came out and that was the first time I'd heard them.

Fuck.
Old October 14th 2010, 07:23 PM
It's never ending

Damnit, Kevin.... now I know how Foo music makes me feel... makes me feel old. Old man. Cane and yelling at kids old.
Old October 14th 2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bango31 View Post
Fuck. I feel old. I was like 12 when TLNTL came out and that was the first time I'd heard them.

Fuck.
I don't think you should feel old man, I should just feel young, I was quite shocked when I realised i'd only been a big fan since 'No Way Back' after thinking about it, but I guess that's still 5 years...
Old October 14th 2010, 08:01 PM
A star burned out

Quote:
I don't think you should feel old man, I should just feel young, I was quite shocked when I realised i'd only been a big fan since 'No Way Back' after thinking about it, but I guess that's still 5 years...
following this line of thought, I should feel old because I was 16 when TINLT was out and I instantly became a fan. 16 is old enough to have vivid memories from that time and that's already 10 years ago, almost 11. that is a full grown kid who reads and plays football!

• Jan 14 2001 - Rio de Janeiro | Jun 24 2006 - Osasco/SP (Jackson United) | Jun 26 2006 - São Paulo (Jackson United) | Apr 7 2012 - São Paulo| Jan 23 2015 - São Paulo | Feb 27 2018 - São Paulo | Feb 28 2018 - São Paulo •
Old October 14th 2010, 11:31 PM
I'll Stick Around

You know they came into my life when it wasnt so happy, I have nothing but good thoughts, smiles and excitement when I either see them or just hear them on the radio....
Old October 15th 2010, 12:07 AM
Yawn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave T. View Post
Horny. I usually start dry-humping the speakers when they come on.
This.

Big time.
my friend told me i should hve 120 babies tonight and i was like no &*ckiing way man that would ruin ky vagina and it would turn into like a wizard sleeve and flap at every slifght breeze of and babies are way gross
Old October 15th 2010, 06:13 PM
Grand Master of the Jedi Order

Quote:
Dude I was in 6th grade when I first heard the Foo Fighters. I'm 2 years out of college.

I feel old.
Old October 15th 2010, 08:05 PM

It actually depends on which Foo song I'm listening to. There are songs, like The Color And The Shape, Wind Up, etc. which make me feel I wanna break everything around me in the room but there are others (eg. Learn To Fly) that can make me cry (mainly because of the lyrics). Briefly this is how they make me feel

Oct 30th, 2009 - The very first and best live Foo show I've seen online. Thank you guys!
Old October 16th 2010, 04:20 AM
Never knowing who to believe

I've been a Foo Fan longer than some of the people on here have been posting . . . that's scary.