Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion > Frequent Post Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old June 18th 2005, 05:07 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Ouch....I'm sorry dude.
Old June 18th 2005, 05:45 AM
Visiting is pretty...

http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/

i havent had a problem with this yet i havent tryed with IYH yet but i dont think it will be a problem since ive blow though many copy protected cds

if that dont work thers also another way with a black marker and the inner ring of the cd but if you value your cd i wouldnt try it unless you know what you are doing

im only saying this to help out ipod/mp3 player users i no way intend for this information to be used for the purpose of bootlegging i fully belive in supporting the band (sorry just covering my own ass)
Old June 18th 2005, 08:01 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Default The Bands thoughts

I know it's not the bands idea or fault. I hope it wan't a foo idea, but I would love to hear what they have to say about all of this. The sad thing is that it affects the actually fans who went out and bought the CD. The people who just took it off the net didn't have to deal with any of this. I was so excited to jam the new tunes in my portable player and soak it in like it did for the older foo discs, but having to deal with all of this just to do that has really put a damper on the whole experience.
Old June 18th 2005, 08:57 AM
Have you found your way around

Quote:
Originally Posted by bond007ca2
Distortional may I ask how old are you? I am 29 and have gone to many foo shows at small venues when they started with Pat Smear at guitar. I have purchased EVERY ALBUM including the big me single with Bsides. I purchased the first album the day of its release.

I have a hunch a huge section of the Foos fan base are in their late 20s and see this another way or maybe I am wrong and they all moved on.
Lets not get personal here, but i'm 16. At least i'm mature enough to accept there is copy protection, find a way around it, and shut the hell up.
That's excellent that you're a big fan, that means then you might understand what they've done here. Read this article here. I really don't know why everyone is so pissed off . . . it is logical to do it, it's just not as convenient for the amatuer computer users. That's why instead of complaining,. you should be asking how to get around it, and i'm sure heaps of people would be happy to help you.
Old June 18th 2005, 10:34 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by bond007ca2
Distortional may I ask how old are you? I am 29 and have gone to many foo shows at small venues when they started with Pat Smear at guitar. I have purchased EVERY ALBUM including the big me single with Bsides. I purchased the first album the day of its release.

I have a hunch a huge section of the Foos fan base are in their late 20s and see this another way or maybe I am wrong and they all moved on.
Hey I'm a big foo fan, and have been for EVER, i'M 34 and it really is great to know theres not a big age gap going on here as i thought i was probably the oldest, but i have been a big Grohl fan in all his ventures over many many moons!!!
Old June 18th 2005, 11:03 AM
In too deep

"Sony BMG's new copy-protection effort comes with at least one downside: PC users are unable to transfer the songs to Apple's popular iPod portable music player, because Apple has declined to make its software compatible with Microsoft's Windows Media digital rights management (DRM) system."

Dear iPod users,

It is Apples fault.

Love,
Me.
Old June 18th 2005, 11:42 AM
Visiting is pretty...

some people spoil it for everyone
people who dont think about anything but themselves
Old June 18th 2005, 11:54 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Cool

My copy of IYH disc one played great the first time...and now it skips through "Best of You" every time I play it....has anybody else had this problem??.....I was going to take it back to the store...but I dont want to look like an arse if it has somthing to do with what all you guys have been talking about in this thread......I ripped the disc to my pc and had to shuffle my single version of "best of you" into the album playlist where the faulty "best of you" was ...and then downloaded it to my dodgy mp3 player (not an ipod!!)......aaaahhh the things i do for foo. But now when I play the cd on my stereo at home..it always skips through that song..which really pisses me off ....especially when I paid good money for it! N.B cost me $26.95 ....music is expensive down here!!
02/05/2008 Acer Arena Sydney
03/05/2008 Acer Arena Sydney
24/03/2011 Goat Island Sydney
08/12/2011 Sydney Football Stadium

Last edited by FOO-RELLE : June 18th 2005 at 12:36 PM.
Old June 18th 2005, 02:43 PM
Visiting is pretty...

ripped my UK copy fine and have perfect copies for my car.
would love to know if there is a way to compress the data onto one cd
Old June 18th 2005, 03:53 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Hmmm can't say I've seen anything copy protected in 3 stores I've been to. Is this a US only thing and no applied to the UK? I got the CD+DVD just ripped and uploaded to my Sony HD5 no problem...

Quote:
Hey I'm a big foo fan, and have been for EVER, i'M 34 and it really is great to know theres not a big age gap going on here as i thought i was probably the oldest, but i have been a big Grohl fan in all his ventures over many many moons!!!
Well I'm 36, been into the foo's since the start, and I used to drive my band mad by keep playing Floaty many years back!
Still looking around for an original 'Pocket Watch'... I won't hold my breath!
Old June 18th 2005, 03:57 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonDingle
ripped my UK copy fine and have perfect copies for my car. would love to know if there is a way to compress the data onto one cd
The only way is if your car stereo plays mp3 files from disk. you should easy get both CDs in MP3 format on a CD even at 320k - I ripped mine at 192k an it is 55mb
Old June 18th 2005, 04:00 PM
Visiting is pretty...

There is a pretty simple fix if you are using XP and already loaded the CD.
I looked at the idea to go to Control Panel, but this was easier.
XP has System Restore.
Programs / Accessories / System Restore
From here you can pick a date to restore your system to.
Obviously it has to be before you first loaded IYH.
System Restore will NOT get rid of an.y data, but it does get rid of any programs or drivers you have added after your restore date.

Restore to an earlier date, then doe the Shift trick.

I had the same problem with the jumping songs and they are now all on my iPod.

And for the record I'm 38 and have seen Scream (w/ Dave) Nirvana and Foos.
Old June 18th 2005, 07:44 PM
Visiting is pretty...

This deal sucks. What aobut all the peeps who dont know shit about computers, all they want to do is put in a CD to play on their PC while they are at work. This is precisely where I am at. I dont have the fucking time to dick around with drivers, permissions, and all this other crap. I paid for the music, and now I cant listen to it on my pc? Fuck it ill just go get the Un-paid for MP3s off limewire, adn risk getting a virus, just so I can listen to my CD that I PAID for on my PC. Thx for letting someone else fuck up your hard work Foo's.

And why the Fuck are we getting our government involved with our music. That has got to be just about the stupidest move the Music industry could have done. We are sitting here fighting these bastards, trying to rally our fans against the government, and the second profits go down you start siding with them to make sure you get what your owed?

Fuck that!

Funny thing is, the money thing is bullshit, if you like music, you make music. All these whiney bitches that are complaining they dont get enough money for their tunes, fine stop making music and go get a day job if tis not profitable and you can make more money that way.

No?

Yeah...i didnt fuckin think so.

Heres a clue to anyone important who may read this, to quote Princess leigha "The more you tighten your grip the more things will slip through your fingers". Same with music, just watch, as it gets worse, more and more people are turnig to pirated music. I am totally against it, but hell, now I have to get the pirated version just to listen to it on my PC.
Old June 18th 2005, 08:01 PM
I'll Stick Around

Ummm just a thought...

Does it seem odd to anyone else who is freaking out screaming the band is in it all for money. That...well...I dunno...the only country with protection on it is the one where the government is involved in EVERYTHING!

I mean c'mon think logically here. If the band wanted to prevent copies it would have inforced this protection worldwide...and not just in the good old U S of A. Obviously if everyone else from around the world is doing fine with theirs it's something other then a band's approach.

bond007ca2...get over it. Stop thinking you have a right to say something to someone based on age for the simple reason you followed the band since 'Nam. Oh and just for kicks:

June 21, 2004. Velvet Revolver's new release Contraband, which topped U.S. album sales charts this week, contains anti-copying software from SunnComm that is substantially similar to the earlier version of the technology described in this report.The E.U. release of this album contains Macrovision CDS-200 copy prevention technology, not the SunnComm CD3 system described in this paper. The Japanese release does not appear to contain any copy protection.

"And what would you wear to work?"
"I have shirts...with...buttons..."

Formally Flyergirl14
Old June 18th 2005, 10:22 PM
Visiting is pretty...

My UK cd works on itunes fine.. Got it on my ipod and everything. Didn't even know it was supposed to be copy protected until today, nothing written on it at all.
Old June 19th 2005, 12:04 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Default shame on the band...

i don't care if they knew about it or not, had a say or not... in the end, it's their CD and they are responsible. shame on them. buy on itunes and the quality sucks, buy the CD and your computer is hosed. i will now not recommend anyone to buy the CD. smart move guys.
Old June 19th 2005, 01:15 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Smile media 10 works ok

ello all, well i just got foo's new CD and i ripped it on media player 10 and as i write this message im listening to it on a sony ericsson k750i with no problems.
The only problems ive had lately is this DRM bollox, i spent 10 on down loading mp3's and when i tryed to put them on an mp3 player it wouldnt let me because of this DRM shite?? the songs now go no further than my PC??? i blame Apple. not sure why but i do..
by the way foo's new albm rokks

Last edited by kr4mer : June 19th 2005 at 01:28 AM.
Old June 19th 2005, 01:46 AM
Visiting is pretty...

i thought it would work in my i-pod but it doesn't, such BS!
i went out and bought the cd the legal way, i should be allowed to use it for my i-pod.
what a rip!
Old June 19th 2005, 03:46 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by torsello
i don't care if they knew about it or not, had a say or not... in the end, it's their CD and they are responsible. shame on them. buy on itunes and the quality sucks, buy the CD and your computer is hosed. i will now not recommend anyone to buy the CD. smart move guys.
I am having no problems at all... even if you can't burn it, DO buy their CD. If you're worried about having a "collection copy" then buy two. Fact is, these guys DESERVE having people buy their CD, it absolutely rocks. So lets support em, so they'll make more!

I'm so glad there are other people who love the Foo as much as me!
Old June 19th 2005, 05:19 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Default Copy Protections Can Suck

well,

I understand the Foos (or the record comapnies) want to protect their sales.

no big deal. but if it affects the quality of a product, Im against it completely. In the past Rec. Cos would put in errors (like glitches, etc) that a new CD player could fix upon playback...but cause a PC to hickup and take a dump. well, we use these on our computers too. and well, our minidisc players, etc.

I think the foo fans aren't dicks that copy and bootleg their albums.....and well, to be honest Big Record Comapny, you need to stop suing the kids and worry about those Chinese guys overseas...am I right or am I right?

but anyway...if you put the CD in your DVD player you can send the audio to your PC and record new, unprotected wav files....from which to do as you please.

It is indeed a pain in the butt that we have to do that...

Im going to look into some other software programs like "exact audio copy" ...supposidly in the past they were able to defeat copy-protection measures.

so that is the ned result. copy-protected CDs and CD Rippers that can over-ride the protections.....so basically the record companies are spending money on something that is ultimately defeated.

You know what? i hear bands make their millions off of T-shirts...and the rec. co's make their money off of CDs....so if you wanted to hurt the band, start making your own foo t-shirts...

God knows I am tired of the $25 T-shirt....ha ha...I've got a friend in Illinois who works at dunham's sports...he runs the T-shirt printing press...you should see the shirts he's made me. I kid you not, better than the bands cheap cloth and paint that wears off in a few years. These shirts I have had made just seem to last forever.

I will be buying the album soon...ha ha....I wanna get the deluxe edition. I heard the UK version has bonus tracks...but there also is a US version w/ DVD....so Ill have to buy it twice! soo...thanks foos!

I think if the fans got more songs on a disc....more content for their cash, you'd see less mp3s and CDRs...

Peace
Mully-B
Closed Thread