Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > Tour Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old February 22nd 2011, 11:28 AM
Have you found your way around

Default Re: small gig in cologne 28/02/11

I don't live in Germany, so I apparently can't see what FF post about the Cologne gig. But maybe pathor has some news?
Old February 22nd 2011, 03:10 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Nothing new yet. The last facebook entries of the Foo's only say:

- Foo Fighters. Rope. World Premiere.
Morgen um 12:00 / tomorrow, 12:00 PM (German Time?)
http://foofighters.com

- Hi. Foo Fighters are happy to confirm and appearance
@ Highfield Festival - Sunday, August 21st in Erfurt, Germany - see you there?

- Hi. Foo Fighters are happy to confirm an appearance at this years Frequency Festival ! Saturday,August 20th in St. Polten, Austria.

That's all! I will let you know if I see anything new about the show in Cologne, promised!

EDIT:
Here's a interview, released on 1LIVE today - was posted on their website, I tried to translate it into English for you guys:

----

A Hint of Hardcore
Interview with Dave Grohl of the Foo Fighters

~ by Marcel Anders

16 years, 7 albums, and sold 25 million records. This should be the time to slow down and have a break. But not for Dave Grohl and his Foo Fighters: they're going other ways with their upcoming work. And they have a reason to do so, how 1Live learned, in an exclusive interview at 606 Studio in Los Angeles.

Heavy, heavier, Foo Fighters
1 LIVE:
Dave, "Wasting Light" is said of being the heaviest Foo Fighters album of all time. Why such an extreme sound?

Dave Grohl:
I think it's because we're getting older. I'm 42 years now and maybe that's the reason for an urgent desire to do something calmer. Just because it's normal for the age. Because when you're getting mature the priorities change. And to be honest: I love calm music and could write wonderful dreamy ballades the whole day. That's no challenge for me. So I was thinking "Fuck it! Who knows, if I'm still in shape for doing a really heavy album, when I ever turn 46, 48 or 49 years!" - So, this is my last chance and I will use it. We worked with Butch Vig, who's a genious when it comes to make things sound really big and powerful. I don't know HOW he's doing it, because most of the time it seems as if he wasn't doing anything at all - he just chills. But he's great! And that's because we had this situation of making an album with Butch, Pat (who is in the band again) and I have all these huge rock riffs while still being able to scream for 3 hours. So: What are you waiting for? Let's fucking do it again!

1 LIVE:
So, is the preview track "White Limo" a good representation of the album?

Dave Grohl:
Yeah, sure! Though I don't even know the lyrics to it, yet. Just because I had written it in 2 minutes and can't remember exactly.

1 LIVE:
What about the video to this song: an excourse to the thrashy/cheap clips or a hardcore parody?

Dave Grohl:
I had this idea of making a video which is similar to the old clips of Black Flag from SST. Back then, the music was so aggressive and the production so rough. But then, they made those videos for songs like "Slip It In" or "TV Party", which were super funny. Real low-budget productions, in strong contrast to the music, that sounded so dark and depressive. And "White Limo" is probably the clearest reproval of my love for hardcore and punk music. A love that always appeared on our albums every now and then. No matter if I quote them lyrically or musically. So it made only sense to me, to produce a video like the old SST videos.

1 LIVE:
... which is reflected by the story of the video, too?

Dave Grohl:
Yeah, the story is that Lemmy's sitting in this white Limo. He's the chauffeur and cruising around. He overtakes Nate, who's rollerblading. So he picks him up into his car and stops next to this truck with gardeners, who are played by Taylor, Chris, and I. We see the smoke coming out of the Limo - because Nate is having a party already - and jump into the Limo to be cruised around by Lemmy. Then he finds Pat, who's a drug dealer at a street crossing. Lemmy winds down the window and Pat's looking at him, asking "Hey man, you want something?" - Lemmy says "Yes, sure. Jump in" - so Pat comes in. And then the whole thing becomes a really ridiculous performance-video. Just really great!

1 LIVE:
But Lemmy is a bad choice, as a driver, cause he has no license, right?

Dave Grohl:
That's why we had a stunt double. Our friend Wiley was supposed to play Lemmy, cause someone had to drive this damn car (laughs)

1 LIVE:
But for you there are only 2 types of people anyway: rocker and no-rocker, right?

Dave Grohl:
Yes, Indeed!

1 LIVE:
Do you notice that instantly?

Dave Grohl:
Normally, I do. At least that's how it was back in school. Because as a teen you either were a rocker or not. And with age people grow out of what they used to be. I reached that point when looking at people who play in bands. There were some guys who even studied music (rolls eyes) or went to the university. Such guys... (laughs) I mean, have you ever seen Brent of Mastodon? That guy is a fucking rocker! Or Wino from The Obsessed. Those are real rockers. Actually more than that: they are convincing. Just because they have nothing better to do with their lives. And I think I'm similar, somehow...

1 LIVE:
Is that the reason why you worked on several other albums/projects over the years, because music means more to you than just a job?

Dave Grohl:
I never thought of it as a job. Even if there are moments like that, sometimes. For example, when you're on a promo trip and give 15 interviews a day, while you're suffering from jetlag at the same time, or miss your family or feel sick/ill. That's the time when you think "ok, this seems like work/a job". But when you want to live such life, you really have to live through this and give your best. That's at least how I see it. But when you're standing on a stage and the people sing your songs, it doesn't feel like a job. When you hang out with your friends allday, drink, or record an album, it's not like a job either. Or do you think my wife things I'm working? (giggles) Not at all! Sometimes I say "Baby, that's my job!" but she conters "That's not a job, is it?" and I say "Yeah, you're right"

1 LIVE:
Is there a wishlist of people who you'd like to work with?

Dave Grohl:
Not really (laughs)... It's simply that I learned to play the drums as a kid by listening to the albums of my favorite bands. Most were punk, like Bad Brains, Minor Thread, Dead Kennedys, and such... I drummed on my pillow while listening to them, since I couldn't afford a drumset. I set up pillows like a drumkit and played like I was sitting behind a real drumkit. That's how I learned most of what I know today. Furthermore, I've seen plenty of bands in small clubs like the 9:30 Club. And inside my head there was always the fantasy of the singer of that band coming on stage, saying "sorry, we can't perform tonight, cause our drummer is ill. Unless someone of the audience knows how to play our songs?" - And that's when I'd come in. I would have entered the stage and played one song by one. And that's how I still do it today: was I watching AC/DC and they were in need of a drummer for that night, I'd right jump in. Just like with Killing Joke, Motörhead and all my other favorite bands. I just feel the desire of playing with everyone.

1 LIVE:
Even with the Muppets, where you're replacing Animal?

Dave Grohl:
Definitely! There are just a few drummers who are real icones... Buddy Rich, Keith Moon, John Bonham and Animal from the Muppets Show. It's so simple. And the people always think I was looking like Animal when playing drums. When someone calls me do a Muppets-Film, I do it.

1 LIVE:
And what can we expect from the 1LIVE radio concert, for which you practised by doing small club gigs in LA?

Dave Grohl:
What we're doing at the moment is just a huge fun. We go out and say "Hey, do you want to hear the new record?" and then we start. We play all of our new material from start to end. What I find really exciting, personally. Funny thing is: we always talk about it when recording an album. But this is the first time we actually do it! We learned all of our new songs and practised them more often then ever before. So I think that we're gonna play a bunch of new stuff. And most likely some real classics, and we certainly know that we demand a lot from the audience... like, totally concentrate and listen to those 11 new songs one by one... You can only do that in a club, where it really matters for them to be part of this special moment. Like, "I made it, I had the chance to enter and see the band closer than usually"

1 LIVE:
What do you prefer - small or tall gigs?

Dave Grohl:
If you ask me, I'd say Rock'n'Roll belongs into a small room - from a bar to a theatre and everything in between. I mean, well... it's nice to play arenas or stadiums. But it's a totally different thing, cause it's all about volume, stimulous satiation and such... but the real essence for me in Rock'n'Roll is to see a band in a club. That's the best.
River stones and broken bones scattered on the hill.

Last edited by pathor : February 22nd 2011 at 07:56 PM.
Old February 22nd 2011, 05:45 PM

Thanks! I could see the announcements about Frequency & Highfield too, just the Cologne thing I don't get...weird.

Oh, and the Rope premiere is 1pm German time.
Old February 23rd 2011, 01:36 PM
Visiting is pretty...

I really think we can also expect a small clubshow next week in the Netherlands!
Since they are playing the 28th in Cologne, and the main Dutch-radio station '3FM' post a message with this in it;
For all fans: Are you also a big fan of the Foo Fighters and do you want to hear the new album completely, live? Keep checkin 3FM next week then!

I don't think that radio-station will play the whole album live, so I'm hoping.........
Old February 23rd 2011, 01:39 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Yes that's what i'm thinking too!!! No way 3fm is just doing a livestream or something.. and especially 'pssst...' hear album live, yeah i'm going to spend my week listening to 3fm..!
Old February 24th 2011, 12:35 AM

sounds great! here's hoping for an austrian or italian gig as well...probably not happening, but who knows!

after tonight, I really really need to get to that cologne show!
Old February 24th 2011, 03:12 AM
Visiting is pretty...

me too, have to get there ... no matter how.

hopefully at least one of us wins and can take the other one in.
Old February 24th 2011, 03:21 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Here are more chances to win but u have to hurry it both ends soon:

http://www.tonspion.de/neues/neueste/1537056

http://www.lesmads.de/2011/02/gewinn...koln.html#more
Old February 24th 2011, 07:12 PM

Thanks for sharing!

I really really really wanna go to this. But I've never won a thing in my life.

Oh btw, any news on facebook about the possibility to win tickets from the band yet?

Last edited by Kathi : February 24th 2011 at 07:17 PM.
Old February 24th 2011, 07:25 PM

http://www.telekom-musicwire.de/news...osung-in-koeln

one more..only for people lucky enough to be able to go to a certain Telekom shop in Cologne tomorrow!
Old February 24th 2011, 07:52 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Anyone an idea how the band will give away the tickets than?
Maybe first come first served, or is that impossible?
Old February 24th 2011, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0b020 View Post
Anyone an idea how the band will give away the tickets than?
Maybe first come first served, or is that impossible?
I doubt that...I guess they'll probably do some kind of quiz/lottery thing as well, but I have no info as I can't see that specific fb entry.
Old February 24th 2011, 08:38 PM
Visiting is pretty...

No news, on facebook.

Damn, I wish I could go to Cologne and try my luck at this T.Com shop. But sadly I have to help someone in the family and already told him I can't help him the whole Saturday What a shame!
Old February 25th 2011, 06:48 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Just found this:

http://www.spreeblick.com/2011/02/25...hters-in-koln/
You can still try to win a ticket there, but only til Sunday, 15 PM German time.

http://www.laut.de/Foo-Fighters/Tick...nen/22-02-2011
Here you can participate til today. Maybe the winner has not been chosen, yet?

Also, EinsLive posted this:
Morgen könnt ihr den ganzen Tag lang in 1LIVE Tickets für das Radiokonzert des Jahres gewinnen: die Foo Fighters live - am Montag im Kölner Gloria. Schaltet ein! Wir verlosen ab 9 Uhr im Radio, ab Mitternacht online!

@ Karma Police: If I'm lucky, I won't forget you But I never had luck in such things, which makes me a bit afraid

Good luck, to anyone who's trying There must be someone from here, who wins tickets!

Last edited by pathor : February 25th 2011 at 09:02 PM.
Old February 25th 2011, 10:47 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Hey, you can start winning tickets here, on EinsLive

http://www.wdr.de/themen/_phpinclude...x.php?qid=1412

10 questions need to be answered. Good ones, I must admit!
It shows you immediately, if your answers are correct. After it,
just answer them and insert your name, location and Email.

And don't forget listening to EinsLive tomorrow.

source: http://www.einslive.de/

Good luck, again!
Old February 26th 2011, 01:38 AM

Thanks for all the links!

Hehe thanks, you're up for my second ticket as well of course! But as you've said, I don't usually get lucky with that kind of stuff, I don't think I've ever won anything in my life.
After tonight's show, I really have to go to this. Can't survive without Foo til June.
Old February 26th 2011, 07:03 AM
Visiting is pretty...

don't leave me out guys ... i'm in for the ticket changing, too
Old February 26th 2011, 09:01 AM
Visiting is pretty...

As I am also!
Old February 26th 2011, 02:43 PM
I'll Stick Around

http://s10.directupload.net/images/110226/v528eyw6.jpg

YEAH!!!! I'll be there!!!!
Old February 26th 2011, 02:48 PM
Visiting is pretty...

hey, noch n platz frei für einen werten foo fan?