Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion > Foo Fighters Collections and Recordings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old January 16th 2019, 05:17 PM
I'll Stick Around

Default Record Store Day 3-inch Record???

This year at RSD, it looks like there will be a mini record player sold that is designed to play 3-inch records. The picture in the promotional e-mail showed it playing a Big Me single.

Anyone have more info on this?
10/03/05 - Allstate Arena, Rosemont, IL
10/04/05 - Assembly Hall, Champaign, IL
08/25/06 - Auditorium Theater, Chicago, IL
02/25/08 - Allstate Arena, Rosemont, IL
07/20/08 - Scottrade Center, St. Louis, MO
08/09/09 - The Metro, Chicago, IL (TCV Debut!!!!!)
09/17/11 - Scottrade Center, St. Louis, MO
11/08/17 - State Farm Center, Champaign, IL
Old January 16th 2019, 05:22 PM
Fooper!

Default Re: Record Store Day 3-inch Record???

Quote:
Originally Posted by foofan80 View Post
This year at RSD, it looks like there will be a mini record player sold that is designed to play 3-inch records. The picture in the promotional e-mail showed it playing a Big Me single.

Anyone have more info on this?

The record player is sold only at the one store bundled with a few of the 3 inch records. The big me single will be available seperate elsewhere. Not looking forward to ebay prices for the single....
O2 Arena,London,2017
Nos Alive Festival,Lisbon,2017
Accor Arena,Paris,France,2017
Cheese & Grain,Frome,2017
Krakow Tauron Arena,2015
Milton Keynes National Bowl,2015
Lancashire CCC Ground,2015
Invictus Closing Concert,2014
Sound City Players, London,2013
Leeds Fest,2012
Milton Keynes,2011
Wembley Stadium,2008
Manchester City Stadium,2008
Old January 16th 2019, 07:36 PM
Normal

It's going to be another super early start. Once again. Planning to join the queue at about 4am for this.
Old January 16th 2019, 07:42 PM
The Sidekick

I doubt interest will be that high, if it is only a re-issue of old singles in a new format. I know I don't really care. I miss the days of constant actual new releases.

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Old January 16th 2019, 07:46 PM
Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
I doubt interest will be that high, if it is only a re-issue of old singles in a new format. I know I don't really care. I miss the days of constant actual new releases.
Well yes, there's that..
Old January 17th 2019, 05:42 AM
Fooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wol View Post
It's going to be another super early start. Once again. Planning to join the queue at about 4am for this.

I am slightly jealous!
O2 Arena,London,2017
Krakow Tauron Arena,2015
Leeds Fest,2012
Milton Keynes,2011
Wembley Stadium,2008
Old January 17th 2019, 05:46 AM
Fooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post

It's better than nothing. Why this single though?Why not start with their first release? Or just release all the singles from this album in this format?
O2 Arena,London,2017
Krakow Tauron Arena,2015
Leeds Fest,2012
Milton Keynes,2011
Wembley Stadium,2008

Last edited by aprilshack : January 17th 2019 at 05:49 AM.
Old January 17th 2019, 07:34 AM
Easy For YOU To Say

I can confirm Big Me kinda must be one of the 3" vinyls. Maybe the only one, I can't say if there are more, but I've had artwork for a new BM release for a while, sworn not to reveal etc.

I do know that the artwork I have copies of is fucking AWESOME... and has already been used and rather butchered on the store here:

https://shop.foofighters.com/collect...cts/big-me-tee

So I guess 3 inches isn't gonna help things, and final artwork is likely going to simply be a reduced size of that same FF store art - or a close variant.

The original pays massive respect to the orig art for several early releases, and poster form was what was actually commissioned, and it's quite something.

Maybe that will be included in some way as originally indicated???

It was assumed release would be Japan only, which kinda makes sense if you read all the panels below. Probably not (now) the case - though likely to all be Japanese pressed if I'm reading things right.

So is it a Japanese call out? Probably not. I'd say a promo thing that get's the overall hype for RSD going, and ties in to another very much "potential" media format in small vinyl.

But you don't want to miss a proverbial boat, and the band seldom have (One By On DVD audio release... anyone play that daily? lol)

No info I can see right now on anything other than The Raconteurs definitely releasing one, that there will be "many" (whatever number that means) and a lot more on the (likely approx $70 US) Crosley mini turntable you apparently will need to play them. I've trawled a good few and summed up the best info (as of today Jan 17) below, with links. Even Steve Hoffman's board is a bit WTF on it all so that's a good sign few probably really know more right now.

Plenty of promo pics in those pages to see what you're potentially buying for $70... which isnt a whole lot, ESPECIALLY if it won't at least play 7" records (which seems unlikely?).

I can't find anything either on compatibility of a full turntable to play the 3 inch format, nor the RPM speed. So probably even having my dearly departed dad's 78 wont help lol - though that RPM speed info must be out there given earlier White Stripes releases, I haven't hunted that deep tonight.

RSD Record: $5.00
RSD Record Player: $70.00

That will be an interesting investment sum... where I predict (potentially) records could resell for $5.00 forever, with players going for 2, 3 and 4 times the $70, once/if they become a limited (only playback method) "gimmick".

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
https://pitchfork.com/news/the-racon...ord-store-day/

The Raconteurs to Release New 3" Vinyl Single for Record Store Day

A fun collectible version of “Store Bought Bones” (from 2006’s Broken Boy Soldiers)

Record Store Day has announced this year’s edition will feature “a whole batch of 3" records,” playable on specialized miniature record players. One such record will be the Raconteurs’ 2006 single “Store Bought Bones,” from their debut album Broken Boy Soldiers.

For the uninitiated: Back in 2005, the White Stripes released a series of 3" singles to be played on mini record players, and even sold a (very limited) White Stripes-branded player on tour. So in some ways, this new collectible marks a return to form for Jack White. Raconteurs recently returned with their first new songs in over 10 years.

https://thevinylfactory.com/news/cro...nch-turntable/

Size DOES matter.

Crosley is releasing a miniature turntable this Record Store Day, reports Digital Trends.

The tiny turntable, which is called an 8-ban record player and plays 3-inch vinyl – is a cult device in Japan, and can hold up to four minutes of audio.

Sharing the news at CES 2019, the company also announced it is partnering with Japanese vinyl manufacturing plant Toyokasei – who will be producing teensy records for the device.

Retailing for $70, Crosley’s micro-deck is powered by USB or battery, with an Audio-Technica cartridge, pitch control and dust cover.

Crosley’s record player follows a slew of noteworthy turntable announcements during this year’s CES – including Technics unveiling a new SL-1200 MK7, and Audio-Technica announcing seven new models are on the way.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-t...able-ces-2019/

For the past few years, budget turntable manufacturer Crosley Radio has been celebrating Record Store Day (RSD) with special, limited-edition turntables. Last year, it was this undeniably retro-cool Star Wars-themed suitcase player. The prior year, it was a Disney-themed model. But this year, Crosley’s doing something totally different, and might we say, a bit wacky.

Announced at CES 2019, this year’s RSD special is a tiny, 3-inch turntable that looks like someone took a Technics SL-1200G and ran it through a tilt-shift lens. Priced at only $70, it’s got everything you need, including a moving magnet cartridge by Audio-Technica, a pitch control slider, and the tiniest dust cover we’ve ever seen. You can power this micro marvel via USB, or slap some batteries inside it. With a headphone/line-out jack, and a built-in speaker, how you listen to it is up to you — with huge bonus points if you carry it with you (and play it) on any form of public transport.

Though this is the first 3-inch player that Crosley has ever made, the format is not a new one, though it’s very obscure. Originating in Japan, these tiny turntables are known as 8-ban record players and have been used to play things like TV theme songs. Fans of the White Stripes will probably recognize the device as a “triple inchophone,” which Jack White sold for a time — he even had special 3-inch pressings of White Stripes tracks made.

The 3-inch format was perfect for the band’s material, which tends toward the short end of playtimes. An 8-ban disc can hold a maximum of four minutes of music — Seven Nation Army, as an example, is only 3:52.

In addition to the existing catalog of 3-inch vinyl that you’ll find online, Crosley Radio tells Digital Trends that Jack White’s record label Third Man, and Epitaph will be pressing tracks on this format, with more to come after the launch. Crosley has partnered with Japan’s Toyokasei vinyl manufacturing plant, to make sure there’s a steady stream of new songs.

Is there any point to this thing? If you have to ask, you’re clearly not the target market. But if you are, you probably already know that RSD specials are only available at select, participating independent record stores, and only on Record Store Day itself — Saturday, April 13, 2019.

I was there
Old January 17th 2019, 08:46 AM
Ready on your mark

'Big Me' is indeed going to be on 3", one of the record stores hosting RSD (and Backbeat BBQ) posted deets: https://www.foofighterslive.com/news...ord-store-day/

Adelaide / Sydney, 2011
Brisbane / Sydney / Adelaide, 2015
Gold Coast, 2015 (Chevy Metal)
Philadelphia, 2016 (Chevy Metal)
Sydney, 2017 (Chevy Metal)
Adelaide / Brisbane / Sydney, 2018
Old January 17th 2019, 09:43 AM
Easy For YOU To Say

Quote:
Originally Posted by matineeidyll View Post
'Big Me' is indeed going to be on 3", one of the record stores hosting RSD (and Backbeat BBQ) posted deets: https://www.foofighterslive.com/news...ord-store-day/
With all due respect, you're posting a link to a site with no direct links to the subject matter. Your link therefore seems to contain an opinion? with only verbal references that possibility ANOTHER site has certain info?

Posting links directly TO your references is much more helpful.

I was there

Last edited by FooZealand : January 17th 2019 at 10:10 AM.
Old January 17th 2019, 10:26 AM
Ready on your mark

Or you could just observe the sources cited which would tell you that the information and images of the 3" come from Zia Records, who are identified as having tweeted the announcement.

Adelaide / Sydney, 2011
Old January 17th 2019, 03:04 PM
These are my famous last words

What a very cute, but seemingly useless, little player. I totally don't need that.

But I will probably totally buy one anyway
Old January 17th 2019, 05:06 PM
Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezbot View Post
What a very cute, but seemingly useless, little player. I totally don't need that.

But I will probably totally buy one anyway
Hear, hear!
Old January 17th 2019, 05:54 PM
the user formerly known as mexicanFOO

They should include Soldier as a b-side (will these babies even have b-sides?)

Either way, I'd still prefer a Medium Rare (Well Done?) sequel with more bsides.
Old January 17th 2019, 11:53 PM
Easy For YOU To Say

Quote:
Or you could just observe the sources cited which would tell you that the information and images of the 3" come from Zia Records, who are identified as having tweeted the announcement.
Sincere apologies - I stand 100% corrected, I was reading too fast, too late and too tired

I was there
Old January 18th 2019, 10:36 PM
Have you found your way around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beto View Post
They should include Soldier as a b-side (will these babies even have b-sides?)

Either way, I'd still prefer a Medium Rare (Well Done?) sequel with more bsides.
This is some completely pointless gimmicky format that is never going to get any further serious releases.

I have a few versions of the Big Me single that I got on release so why do I want one on a non-standard format with inferior quality to the original CDs?

I am starting to get sick and tired of Record Store Day. The only people that benefit are the scalpers who will get the best stuff and stick it on ebay in hours.

The prices are also ridiculous - £20 for 7" singles and £25+ for anything bigger.
The Alarm, Glasgow, May
Iron Maiden - Newcastle, May
Iron Maiden - Glasgow Hydro, May
Kiss - Glasgow Hydro, May
Guns 'N' Roses - London, June
Old January 18th 2019, 11:41 PM
Ready on your mark

Of all the tracks (confirmed or rumoured) from deep in the vault that we're champing at the bit to hear, instead it's 'Big Me' on a format that requires an additional purchase just to play that one thing. Not much thought went into it.

Adelaide / Sydney, 2011
Old January 19th 2019, 12:11 AM
Have you found your way around

Quote:
Of all the tracks (confirmed or rumoured) from deep in the vault that we're champing at the bit to hear, instead it's 'Big Me' on a format that requires an additional purchase just to play that one thing. Not much thought went into it.
I'd disagree - Record Store Day is all about profiteering and greed. Forcing a double purchase of equipment plus media = more $$$.
The Alarm, Glasgow, May
Iron Maiden - Newcastle, May
Iron Maiden - Glasgow Hydro, May
Kiss - Glasgow Hydro, May
Guns 'N' Roses - London, June
Old January 19th 2019, 01:42 AM
The Sidekick

Yup. RSD was ruined once the big labels realised how much money they could make off it. It became all about the money full of gimmicky releases.

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Old January 24th 2019, 02:59 AM
Easy For YOU To Say

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottish_foo View Post
I'd disagree - Record Store Day is all about profiteering and greed. Forcing a double purchase of equipment plus media = more $$$.
Respectfully IMHO you missed the point here - MI is saying of all the releases there could be a good RSD release... but this isn't it.

And while overall I do agree RSD has become largely about what you say - for all of that there are still great awesome releases every year that you have never seen before and probably never will again, and yes indeed no doubt SOME of those only end up on vinyl directly BECAUSE of those big companies being involved.

It's surely a two way sword... if you buy everything from just one band (many do, often including me) you are gonna be the target market and be kinda screwed at least as far as "literal" uniqueness goes. Then again you often get releases that often become stupidly valuable (regardless of the very logic that said they should never have really been released in the first place).

FF have done stupidly well here really - Medium Rare... Laundry Room... I doubt any FF fan is going to say those were a commercial money grab that should never have seen the light of day... we just want MORE.

Even IF all we get is a "Dave said OK I'll play along" style release where it's just a 3 inch Big Me vinyl supporting the brand, I think even then you have to consider what I personally believe is in his head (as someone also 50)... whereby you do all the fuck you can to keep pushing and promoting the fact that vinyl is still alive and still growing. It's almost a mirage for most of us - for a long time (many people won't remember) it was all but dead... Few (aka sweet fuck all) bands continued to release on wax no matter the audience (or profit margin) ... and the Foos were one. Just imagine Dave said nah - I'll sit on 10-20K copies of TCATS vinyl until 2010 when they are worth $300 each lol.

So please, no disrespect - it's a valid point, but take a step back and weigh it all up - RSD still stands as a valid medium with real purpose. In the end it's down to the individual to be smart, do your research and spend wisely. Yes the resellers make it another level of clusterfuck these days - but that's on them not on RSD. Just for a moment consider the landscape if those same #$%^@ could do it to digital downloads as well...

And it is Dave - I won't bet against him doing a fast bait and switch... where there is a 3 inch AND another release we just aren't being told about. Dude is 50 this year - he has reason to play sillier games than ever...

I was there