Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old April 14th 2011, 05:56 AM
There's something out there...

Default Re: Fan Reviews of Foo Fighters Back and Forth Documentary

My sister and I drove 2 1/2 hours to see it, but it was so worth it. The movie was awesome and very fun to watch with a theatre full of like-minded people, it was a good crowd.
Old April 14th 2011, 06:40 AM
A star burned out

ok, finally got to watch it, I think I saw it 3 times already and I loved it. from a cold perspective, it's a really great look inside all of those things we were familiar with but didn't know much about. like the harsh times during the recording of 1X1, that was some heavy shit going on there. had no idea how things happened to Franz and felt REALLY bad for him, he was having the time of his life and got fired just like that, to this day he resent it, when he says "I got a fucking phone call" you can see on his face how it was. on the other hand, I didn't feel that bad for William, of course it wasn't right but he was so strong and mature about it that I have a lot of respect for him, I mean, he could've stayed in the band if he wanted to, but it wouldn't feel right, he chose his integrity over the certain career success that he surely would enjoy. he made a choice, so I think it's different. he shouldn't have to chose, but he handled it pretty well.

I have a lot to say about this, but don't want to spit it all in one sit, I'll watch it a few more times and think about it properly, but this is what I have for a first impression.
• Jan 14 2001 - Rio de Janeiro | Jun 24 2006 - Osasco/SP (Jackson United) | Jun 26 2006 - São Paulo (Jackson United) | Apr 7 2012 - São Paulo| Jan 23 2015 - São Paulo | Feb 27 2018 - São Paulo | Feb 28 2018 - São Paulo •
Old April 14th 2011, 11:42 AM
I'll Stick Around

It is really bugging me which song Dave was talking about writing for european fans to "bounce" to, its a complete mind blank. I was thinking it was My Hero but yeah its really bugging me so if someone could remind me so I can get on with revision?! Deary me.

I did love it when he said that about UK and europe though, I can totally see what he's saying, though I kinda want to go to the US and see what their crowd is like.

x

FF: 22.11.02//18.12.05//17.6.06//7.7.07//17.8.07//18.11.07//7.6.08//7.3.11//26.8.12//11.09.14//14.09.14//6.9.2015//19.9.2017//TCV: 17.12.09 TH&CTR: 11.5.10 SCP: 19.2.13

Next show:23/9/2018
Old April 14th 2011, 11:50 AM
Have you found your way around

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecover View Post
It is really bugging me which song Dave was talking about writing for european fans to "bounce" to, its a complete mind blank. I was thinking it was My Hero but yeah its really bugging me so if someone could remind me so I can get on with revision?! Deary me.

I did love it when he said that about UK and europe though, I can totally see what he's saying, though I kinda want to go to the US and see what their crowd is like.

x
It was Enough Space.
Old April 14th 2011, 11:50 AM
I don't have a cofee problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecover View Post

x
Enough Space.

03/06/95 KCLSU 15/11/95 Brixton 28/05/97 Astoria 29/05/97 Astoria 23/11/97 Brixton 25/11/99 Brixton 04/03/00 Scala 24/08/00 Stratford Rex 26/08/02 Astoria 23/11/02 Wembley Arena 24/08/05 Astoria 17/12/05 Earls Court 17/06/06 Hyde Park 18/11/07 02 Arena 06/06/08 Wembley Stadium 23/02/11 Brixton 25/02/11 Wembley Arena 03/07/11 MK Bowl 11/07/2011 Camden Roundhouse 10/09/2014 Brighton Concorde 2 14/09/2014 Invictus Games 06/09/2015 MK Bowl
Old April 14th 2011, 11:57 AM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathi View Post
It was Enough Space.
Of course!
Blame the anatomy revision for my error.
Glad it wasn't my hero.

Thanks

FF: 22.11.02//18.12.05//17.6.06//7.7.07//17.8.07//18.11.07//7.6.08//7.3.11//26.8.12//11.09.14//14.09.14//6.9.2015//19.9.2017//TCV: 17.12.09 TH&CTR: 11.5.10 SCP: 19.2.13

Next show:23/9/2018
Old April 14th 2011, 02:41 PM
I'd rather leave than suffer this

Anybody need a complimentary ticket to the rebroadcast tonight, let me know I can't go this evening. It is for Buena Park, California.
Old April 14th 2011, 06:21 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Talking Re: Fan Reviews of Foo Fighters Back and Forth Documentary

A really great Documentary, was hoping for more footage of the recording of Wasting Light, but lets hope there will be more on the DVD. A great part was when Krist was recording his bass parts for I should Have Known, it was really cool.
Old April 14th 2011, 06:24 PM
A star burned out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Times Like These View Post
A really great Documentary, was hoping for more footage of the recording of Wasting Light, but lets hope there will be more on the DVD. A great part was when Krist was recording his bass parts for I should Have Known, it was really cool.
that was a highlight, for sure.

what I'm hoping for is something in the likes of the Metallica documentary. the DVD is SO packed with extras that it's practically a second documentary made of scenes that were left off the theatrical version, I'm sure the FF documentary also suffered a heavy cut and tons of footage got out too.
• Jan 14 2001 - Rio de Janeiro | Jun 24 2006 - Osasco/SP (Jackson United) | Jun 26 2006 - São Paulo (Jackson United) | Apr 7 2012 - São Paulo| Jan 23 2015 - São Paulo | Feb 27 2018 - São Paulo | Feb 28 2018 - São Paulo •
Old April 15th 2011, 04:52 PM

Did anyone else notice the pockets on Dave's shirt changing o_o I know its stupid for me to pay attention, but it was really distracting :P They kept going from both flaps being tucked in, to one, then to none D:

FRESH POTS!!!
Old April 15th 2011, 04:59 PM
I don't have a cofee problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gubzy View Post
Did anyone else notice the pockets on Dave's shirt changing o_o I know its stupid for me to pay attention, but it was really distracting :P They kept going from both flaps being tucked in, to one, then to none D:
Yeah I noticed that, I pointed it out to my mates and was chastised for being a nerd. I'm pleased to be with like minded folk on here

03/06/95 KCLSU 15/11/95 Brixton 28/05/97 Astoria 29/05/97 Astoria 23/11/97 Brixton 25/11/99 Brixton 04/03/00 Scala 24/08/00 Stratford Rex 26/08/02 Astoria 23/11/02 Wembley Arena 24/08/05 Astoria 17/12/05 Earls Court 17/06/06 Hyde Park 18/11/07 02 Arena 06/06/08 Wembley Stadium 23/02/11 Brixton 25/02/11 Wembley Arena 03/07/11 MK Bowl 11/07/2011 Camden Roundhouse 10/09/2014 Brighton Concorde 2 14/09/2014 Invictus Games 06/09/2015 MK Bowl
Old April 15th 2011, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCol View Post
Yeah I noticed that, I pointed it out to my mates and was chastised for being a nerd. I'm pleased to be with like minded folk on here
Hahaha, glad I'm not the only one xD

FRESH POTS!!!
Old April 15th 2011, 06:28 PM
I'll Stick Around

I felt really bad for Franz and William.

"I have to go and rebuild my soul" - That was really sad, must of been such a difficult demeaning experience at the time. To be not sure on joining the band in the first place and Dave convincing him to join and then all that stuff that happened when recording their first album.

I don't think Taylor would have been able to get the sound that Dave wanted on TCATS, he only did half of TINLTL.

William looked genuinly upset as to why Dave went behind his back and decided to re-record all the drum parts. "Was it management? Gil? Record Label? All of the above"

He doesn't seem to understand how Dave could put music in front of friendship and respect. I can't either really. William appreciates that he wasn't at is physical best during the recording but that they weren't as bad as Dave made out.

Franz seemed just as baffled too. The way it was told by the band at the time, you kind of picture Dave, Nate and Taylor jamming on Aurora while Franz was trying some sort of crazy ass metal solo or something. Wheras in actual fact he wasn't doing enough rather than doing the wrong thing. But Franz was just conscious about being to vocal about ideas because Dave was the songwriter and he was probaly still discovering the band dynamic.

I don't think I could destroy two friendships like that for anything. Especially if one was so young and fragile and the other one of my oldest friends and mentors.

I did enjoy the documentary but I felt it wasn't sure what it wanted to be. The insight into album tracks Enough Space and Ain't it the Life, the detail of the first tour, recording TACTS and the personal stuff suggested it really was for hardcore fans and an in-depth documentary.

However, the contunity errors (When they were talking about recording TCATS they showed pictures of Dave with long hair and other really geeky stuff like that ), the fact that they completley forgot about In Your Honour and ESPG and the unnecessarily long clips of the band playing the Pretender live and that the Wasting Light recording stuff gave very little insight into the actual music meant it seemed all it bit light and bit patronising for a proper Foo fan. So as much as I enjoyed watching I was a little dissapointed.
Old April 16th 2011, 07:33 AM

Aggh, I am so deep in Foo nerdville. I've been watching the FF Fuse takeover all day, and reading through a bunch of threads on here that I missed out on this week.

Even though the movie played fairly well at the theatre I was at last week, I still took advantage of the free ticket offer and went back last night - cuz even though it's on TV now, how many opportunities will we get to actually see the guys on the big screen? I'm even inviting friends over tomorrow to watch it on my DVR. I need to get a life.

It was fun seeing the album played straight through again being more familiar with it. I spent more time this round watching Taylor be an absolute ANIMAL. So impressive.

I also noticed that in their vocal warmup before the Roxy show, they were running through the Stacked Actors jam. Loved it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahavira View Post
The scene explaining how Enough Space was written was so fucking awesome and I <3 Pat hahaha
That part was so cool. All fan nerds heads must have exploded to learn something new like that.
And this movie made me love Pat even more, esp when he was imitating the kids yelling MARIGOLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_titled View Post
Being reminded that OBO will be ten years old next year shocked me! Where's it gone?!
HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE?! Insane! I clearly cleeeeeearly remember board activity from that time and can't believe it was that long ago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by winewonk View Post
I'm old and have a 3 yr old (who can sing most of the Foo's songs, to my husband's dismay-shouldn't she be singing "Twinkle, Twinkle little Star," instead of "Hey, Johnny Park"?)
This is the cutest thing I've ever heard. Bless her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou View Post
Personally, i find myself doing the Grohl-dance too, especially to Foo's music...which probably looks a little odd without a guitar/being him
SAME, I do the Dave leg tap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gubzy View Post
I noticed this too! There were so many hours of interview footage, it was funny to see based on the flaps of his pockets, how they actually chopped up what he was saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieFF View Post
I felt really bad for Franz and William.
"I have to go and rebuild my soul" - That was really sad, must of been such a difficult demeaning experience at the time.
It must have been oddly cathartic though for Franz and William to get to talk about it as frankly as they did. At least I hope it was.

"Dave has a crush on Taylor" ~Howard Stern 4.11.11

Last edited by Aurora Grohl : April 16th 2011 at 07:35 AM.
Old April 22nd 2011, 10:20 PM
I'd rather leave than suffer this

Just saw it last night on TV. REALLY loved it. Was so awesome.
I was so excited about seeing it and it was on TV exactly a month after I saw Foo's live for the first time.

Best doco I've seen, really liked seeing in studio footage, I'm a musician so thats very interesting to me. Was cool seeing old footage that I've never seen like Chris auditioning, that was awesome, and Dave onstage with Eddie Vedder because he's like my other musical god.

Couldnt ask for a better insight to Foo Fighters, I just hope the DVD has lots of extras because I WANT MORE!!

BTW... I may have cried for pretty much half of the movie...
Old May 1st 2011, 03:38 PM
(Not) The Boss

Thumbs up Re: Fan Reviews of Foo Fighters Back and Forth Documentary

Okay so Victoria finally got Back and Forth at the cinemas today and i and my sister saw it. Firstly the best thing about the doco was the music they were using. None of the same old songs and i like the references from the old bands like the germs and etc.

I also loved how william and franz really just let it out and fuck i got to admit Dave did a real douchey thing for TCATS. Not so much the nicest man in rock but at least dave himself said that he knew william wouldn't ever forgive him for it which was good.

I also expected that the first four albums would be spoken about most what with all the controversy around it at those times. People here were going on about how they seemed to have rushed through the last two before wasting light and it kind of makes sense really. Nothing as major must of came up.

I also loved how they didn't hold back on the bad stuff like when you see taylor yawning after dave said he liked the queens touring he was doing. It was done exceptionally well.

Dave's daughter was unintentionally hilarious what with wanting to go for a swim in the pool! I also loved how they had shown how they produced this album. Anyone who thinks that it was stupid of them to do so as it looks like they were trying to sell the album well no shit. It's how they make their living.

Also finally i can't believe Nate was going to leave. FUCK THAT