Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #221  
Old September 9th 2015, 02:07 AM
Chicago Chicago is offline
Have you found your way around
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: duh
Posts: 2,881
Default Re: Who will give the Million Dollar Demos as Christmas gift?

I'm kind of sad that they ended up leaking. It was neat how people who had them kept them close to the vest out of respect for Dave and the band.

I am genuinely curious as to how many people on here had them before they leaked. I'll go first. I had them.
Reply With Quote
  #222  
Old September 9th 2015, 03:52 AM
rogerrichards rogerrichards is offline
I'll Stick Around
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 208
Default Re: Who will give the Million Dollar Demos as Christmas gift?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago View Post
I'm kind of sad that they ended up leaking. It was neat how people who had them kept them close to the vest out of respect for Dave and the band.

I am genuinely curious as to how many people on here had them before they leaked. I'll go first. I had them.
You feel that way because you had the songs.

I'm glad they leaked. Yeah it's unfortunate for the band that didn't want people to hear it, but it's something the fans have wanted for years to the point of being somewhat legendary. Music is to be shared.

Honestly, I'd be more sympathetic if the people who had heard it weren't always talking about how they had them but weren't allowed to share. Annoying.
Reply With Quote
  #223  
Old September 9th 2015, 05:46 AM
Chicago Chicago is offline
Have you found your way around
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: duh
Posts: 2,881
Default Re: Who will give the Million Dollar Demos as Christmas gift?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerrichards View Post
You feel that way because you had the songs.

I'm glad they leaked. Yeah it's unfortunate for the band that didn't want people to hear it, but it's something the fans have wanted for years to the point of being somewhat legendary. Music is to be shared.

Honestly, I'd be more sympathetic if the people who had heard it weren't always talking about how they had them but weren't allowed to share. Annoying.
That's not why I feel that way.

Look, I'm glad people who wanted to hear them got to hear them. I bet if you knew someone who had them, they would have let you listen to them. I don't think people were trying to be dicks about it (for the most part), I think people were genuinely trying to protect the band. I didn't see anyone on this board talking about having them and not being able to share them, except Percy.
Reply With Quote
  #224  
Old September 9th 2015, 10:13 AM
Bexster's Avatar
Bexster Bexster is offline
Raider of Lost Arks
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chillin out, maxing, relaxing all cool
Posts: 25,992
Default Re: Who will give the Million Dollar Demos as Christmas gift?

I tend to disagree - I don't think we ever had any right to something the band didn't want released. Just because they're out there as public figures doesn't automatically mean they have to share everything - musicians, artists, authors, they can keep whatever they want away from the public. So I do understand why they were kept hidden for so long.

Personally, I don't really see the fuss. I don't really want to listen to substandard versions of songs as a rule. I listened to these - parts of them are ok, and I can see which direction they could have gone in, but I can easily see why someone like Dave didn't want them heard.
__________________
Calippos are made from calipers and hippos

Reply With Quote
  #225  
Old September 9th 2015, 03:00 PM
wicked_gravity's Avatar
wicked_gravity wicked_gravity is offline
Have you found your way around
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Earth
Posts: 4,572
Default Re: Who will give the Million Dollar Demos as Christmas gift?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago View Post
That's not why I feel that way.
Sorry but you can't really see it from the perspective of those that didn't have them ... it's easy to say they shouldn't be leaked when you already have them yourself, and to be honest, a bit selfish ... if you really felt that way then you wouldn't have accepted them from the person that gave them to you in the first place.

Either way, it doesn't matter much. I can definitely feel for those that didn't share. It would be a much bigger dick move to have someone share w/ you with a promise that you don't share ... and then turn around and share them. I've been in that boat before myself -- held onto material for over 6 or 7 years before I felt comfortable with sharing (as the person that gave them to me was no longer part of the foo community).
__________________
-------------------------
Gonna find my way to heaven
'Cause I did my time in hell
Reply With Quote
  #226  
Old September 9th 2015, 05:24 PM
Chicago Chicago is offline
Have you found your way around
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: duh
Posts: 2,881
Default Re: Who will give the Million Dollar Demos as Christmas gift?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked_gravity View Post
Sorry but you can't really see it from the perspective of those that didn't have them ... it's easy to say they shouldn't be leaked when you already have them yourself, and to be honest, a bit selfish ... if you really felt that way then you wouldn't have accepted them from the person that gave them to you in the first place.

Either way, it doesn't matter much. I can definitely feel for those that didn't share. It would be a much bigger dick move to have someone share w/ you with a promise that you don't share ... and then turn around and share them. I've been in that boat before myself -- held onto material for over 6 or 7 years before I felt comfortable with sharing (as the person that gave them to me was no longer part of the foo community).
Sure I can. There were years that I did not have them. And I didn't say they shouldn't be leaked. I said I was sad that they had leaked because I thought it was neat that people had that much respect for the band.

Look, this is just my opinion that I'm stating. You don't agree? That's cool, no problems with that. But don't try to tell me how or why I feel about something. You've no idea of my situation, nor when/how/where I got them. Maybe I only had them for a week before they leaked for all you know.


Last edited by Chicago : September 9th 2015 at 05:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.