Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old February 15th 2011, 06:16 PM
I'll Stick Around

Default Re: Wasting Light

Oh, I thought it sounded familiar.
Old February 15th 2011, 06:18 PM
Have you found your way around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grail72 View Post
What is there to get? It's just an album title dude. Let the music stand on it's own. Personally, I think it is cool. I think it may make more sense when the artwork comes out, maybe.
What's there to get? Well, how about why that quote, of everything he could have chosen in any human language was chosen to be the name of the album? Every one of the album titles has some kind of context and reason for being, I would just like to know this ones.
Old February 15th 2011, 06:18 PM
Run for your life with me

They did the same thing for titles on the past few albums (taking a line in the song, 1x1, ESP&G) and not just naming it after a track on the record. I guess that would be the reasoning behind the title. I think that is cool.
Old February 15th 2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh View Post
What's there to get? Well, how about why that quote, of everything he could have chosen in any human language was chosen to be the name of the album? Every one of the album titles has some kind of context and reason for being, I would just like to know this ones.
I didn't mean it in an confrontational way. But, they have named a few albums after a line in a song. So i guess there was a pattern or reason.
Old February 15th 2011, 06:23 PM

Meh.

Should be White Limo or OH YEAH!
Old February 15th 2011, 06:25 PM

LOL Re: Wasting Light

I don't give a crap what it's called! lol

Got some pics on my FB of the Foo and Dead Peasants:

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1183758839
Old February 15th 2011, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foonut View Post
AMEN!!! My point exactly!!

Quote:
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Quote:
I didn't mean it in an confrontational way. But, they have named a few albums after a line in a song. So i guess there was a pattern or reason.
Dude I know that they've named albums after a line in a song, but he's usually given small reasonings of why he wants that line more than anything else to respresent the album, and all I was saying is that i'd like to know to 'get' it, at the moment it just seems random, as it would.

Quote:
AMEN!!! My point exactly!!
Then why call me out if you don't care what it's called? I was just casually saying either way, I care 99% more about having the songs and seeing them live, it would just be cool for me personally to hear the reason.

Last edited by Josh : February 15th 2011 at 06:36 PM.
Old February 15th 2011, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Dude I know that they've named albums after a line in a song, but he's usually given small reasonings of why he wants that line more than anything else to respresent the album, and all I was saying is that i'd like to know to 'get' it, at the moment it just seems random, as it would.
Gotcha! I am sure they will explain something soon.
Old February 15th 2011, 06:29 PM
the user formerly known as mexicanFOO

Reminds me of Snow Patrol ...
But sounds good.

Edit: Reminded me to a mix of Jimmy Eat Worlds "Chase This Light", but I thought "Chasing Lights" was a Snow Patrol album, but its just the song "Chasing Cars"... got mixed up.
Old February 15th 2011, 06:49 PM
The Boss

I think it fits perfectly, given where the band is at this point in their careers

I turned to my brother somewhere around halfway through the new set at the Dragonfly show and said "Fuck, why'd they have wait 15 years to peak like this?"

And just to pre-emptively circumvent any possible cultural gaps: Wasting light = Throwback to the days pre-electricity where you only had so much time to get whatever needed to be done before it got dark and you'd have to stop. Think farming, colonial america Amish type shit. I'm sure the expression is older than that. Any time spent not working towards whatever needed to be accomplished (planting, hunting, building, whatever) was wasting light

So, yeah.....not a global warming thing........

Given that this album represents them coming back together after 2 years of going off and doing their own stuff and is at a point where they're all in their later years and the fact that the songs, method of recording, producer choice, etc all seem to fit into a grander "Back to basics" theme, my guess is the album is being called "Wasting Light" simply because that's what they had been doing, for the purposes of this band?

I'm sure Dave will elaborate on it once they start doing tons of press and there's one of those days where they have like 50 interviews, followed by them being on 4 different magazine covers 4 weeks later.
Old February 15th 2011, 06:54 PM

Quote:

Then why call me out if you don't care what it's called? I was just casually saying either way, I care 99% more about having the songs and seeing them live, it would just be cool for me personally to hear the reason.

I wasn't calling you out. I did't understand the need to "get" the album title. You explained what you meant. Sorry.
Old February 15th 2011, 06:57 PM
I'd rather leave than suffer this

Talking Re: Wasting Light

http://www.nme.com/news/foo-fighters/54986 If its everywhere it must be true and the artwork is apparently done. Started being played Xfm Would have thought it would be released sooner tho!! Still see them next week so who cares
Old February 15th 2011, 07:12 PM
Not Jamie II: Jamie Harder

Maybe the album artwork will show a picture of a hallway with one of the room's light still on (and no one in the room). Just wasting that light.

Probably not.
Old February 15th 2011, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
I think it fits perfectly, given where the band is at this point in their careers

I turned to my brother somewhere around halfway through the new set at the Dragonfly show and said "Fuck, why'd they have wait 15 years to peak like this?"

And just to pre-emptively circumvent any possible cultural gaps: Wasting light = Throwback to the days pre-electricity where you only had so much time to get whatever needed to be done before it got dark and you'd have to stop. Think farming, colonial america Amish type shit. I'm sure the expression is older than that. Any time spent not working towards whatever needed to be accomplished (planting, hunting, building, whatever) was wasting light

So, yeah.....not a global warming thing........

Given that this album represents them coming back together after 2 years of going off and doing their own stuff and is at a point where they're all in their later years and the fact that the songs, method of recording, producer choice, etc all seem to fit into a grander "Back to basics" theme, my guess is the album is being called "Wasting Light" simply because that's what they had been doing, for the purposes of this band?

I'm sure Dave will elaborate on it once they start doing tons of press and there's one of those days where they have like 50 interviews, followed by them being on 4 different magazine covers 4 weeks later.
Nice one Tim, liking the title alot more now.
Old February 15th 2011, 07:16 PM

I'll tell you what Wasting Light means to this simple mind,

Sleeping all day, up all night. Probably a little like rock stars do. First thing that came into my head.

did we ever get an explanation of ESPG? If we did I never saw it, seriously who gives a shit and just get ready to listen to the music.
Metro, Chicago, Lollapalooza 2012
Milwaukee, WI Wasting Light Tour 2012
Cubby Bear, Sonic Highways Chicago, 2014
Indianapolis, Sonic Highways IN 2015
Chicago, IL Wrigley 2015
Metro, Chicago, Lollapalooza 2017
Madison, WI 2017
Champaign, IL 2017
Indy 2018
Wrigley 2018 x 2
Old February 15th 2011, 07:21 PM

Quote:
you can't sum it up any better than that. very funny when people criticize the title ... you can't judge a book by its cover, and you can't judge an album by its title or cover.

how it sounds coming out of your speakers is all that matters. call it 'eat my shit' for all i care.
Old February 15th 2011, 07:24 PM
The Sidekick

Artwork here.

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Old February 15th 2011, 07:25 PM

Talking Re: Wasting Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked_gravity View Post
you can't sum it up any better than that. very funny when people criticize the title ... you can't judge a book by its cover, and you can't judge an album by its title or cover.

how it sounds coming out of your speakers is all that matters. call it 'eat my shit' for all i care.
haha Yeah I wouldnt care if it was called Wanker. lol Just as long as the music is awesome (which it always is with the Foo) I am happy!!

Got some pics on my FB of the Foo and Dead Peasants:

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1183758839