Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old January 26th 2011, 10:56 AM
I'll Stick Around

Default Re: CD Singles

I am sure they will release at least two physical singles as they did with the last album. I have actually collected all their physical CD singles (excluding promos), and I can't wait to add the next one to my collection.

The first single off each album is usually a big hit so it is worth their while having a physical release. Susequent singles are usually minor hits so might not be worth the cost of production.

14/09/2014, 23/06/2018
Old January 26th 2011, 12:22 PM
Have you found your way around

Hope they do. I've got most of the Foos singles on CD.

I do get pissed off now when any physical single releases from bands are on vinyl. Few people even have the equipment to play that nowadays, and CDs are a far superior technology in terms of quality and robustness.

I would bet a lot of the vinyl single sales are simply collectors who then try and find a free download of the physical tracks on the net.

Also, its time bands told ITunes to go fuck themselves over the exclusive bonus content scams where you get extra tracks not available on the physical release. CDs generally have a lot of excess capacity for bonus tracks that isn't used.
The Alarm, Glasgow, May
Iron Maiden - Newcastle, May
Iron Maiden - Glasgow Hydro, May
Kiss - Glasgow Hydro, May
Guns 'N' Roses - London, June
Old January 26th 2011, 01:15 PM
Looking for a sign of life

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottish_foo View Post
Hope they do. I've got most of the Foos singles on CD.

I do get pissed off now when any physical single releases from bands are on vinyl. Few people even have the equipment to play that nowadays, and CDs are a far superior technology in terms of quality and robustness.

I would bet a lot of the vinyl single sales are simply collectors who then try and find a free download of the physical tracks on the net.

Also, its time bands told ITunes to go fuck themselves over the exclusive bonus content scams where you get extra tracks not available on the physical release. CDs generally have a lot of excess capacity for bonus tracks that isn't used.
No vinyl?? But, but.. It's great!! And LP players aren't hard to find these days.. Got mine for 20 bucks or so.. And I think they're better then CD's if you're talking about quality of the songs. I love vinyl
Old January 26th 2011, 01:37 PM
Grave Rohl

And most vinyls these days come with free download codes, otherwise, I have this fancy player (that isn't fancy at all) that will encode my records into mp3. Magic.

And what band releases singles on just vinyl and not CDs anyhow?

vinyl > CD
Old January 26th 2011, 03:05 PM
In too deep

Quote:
Few people even have the equipment to play that nowadays,
A decent turntable is cheaper than a cheap hifi or your average mp3 player, there's no reason people can't go out and buy one if they want one.

Quote:
and CDs are a far superior technology in terms of quality
Not true at all.

Quote:
and robustness.
Buy an album on cd and 12", then try and play them both in 40 years time and see which one still works.
Old January 26th 2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Buy an album on cd and 12", then try and play them both in 40 years time and see which one still works.
I'll put my money on the vinyl.
Old January 26th 2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:
A decent turntable is cheaper than a cheap hifi or your average mp3 player, there's no reason people can't go out and buy one if they want one.

Not true at all.

Amen!
Stockholm Stadion, Stockholm 062211

Ullevi, Gothenburg 061215

Old January 26th 2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Beyond View Post
No vinyl?? But, but.. It's great!! And LP players aren't hard to find these days.. Got mine for 20 bucks or so.. And I think they're better then CD's if you're talking about quality of the songs. I love vinyl
I doubt you would get one that cheap in the UK, and anyway, CD/DVD/Blue Ray players are built into most entertainment devices - car stereos, PCs, game consoles, HIFIs etc.

As for durability and home storage, CDs are much more compact and robust. You can scratch Vinyl just by removing it from the sleeve, whereas CDs take a serious lack of care to damage them. The only people I know that have Vinyl Record Players have been serious music collectors for 30 years.

Vinyl is a redundant format, and is incompatible with modern media devices (you can't rip it cleanly at all, and to rip from it you need to buy an add-on). Its really just nostalgia junkies who can't bare to let it die.

A number of bands only release their physical singles on Vinyl nowadays - the entire Ash A-Z series was Vinyl/Download only, for example despite everything they had released previously being on CD.

Its also a pain in the ass when you get singles released on a mixture of CD and Vinyl, with different tracks on each format.
The Alarm, Glasgow, May
Old January 26th 2011, 04:43 PM

The CD killed the Musicbusiness
Stockholm Stadion, Stockholm 062211

Ullevi, Gothenburg 061215

Old January 26th 2011, 04:44 PM
In too deep

A cheap turntable is forty quid, a decent one that won't ruin your records is under a hundred. CDs are more compact, but are just as easily damaged as records. If you treat them properly you shouldn't do any damage to either. Cds also deteriorate, you can keep a cd in the shrinkwrap and in 40 years time all the data could be lost, whereas vinyl will hold up for a lot longer.

It is not a redundant format at all, it's still the format to beat when it comes to audio quality.
Old January 26th 2011, 05:11 PM

Quote:
I doubt you would get one that cheap in the UK, and anyway, CD/DVD/Blue Ray players are built into most entertainment devices - car stereos, PCs, game consoles, HIFIs etc.

As for durability and home storage, CDs are much more compact and robust. You can scratch Vinyl just by removing it from the sleeve, whereas CDs take a serious lack of care to damage them. The only people I know that have Vinyl Record Players have been serious music collectors for 30 years.

Vinyl is a redundant format, and is incompatible with modern media devices (you can't rip it cleanly at all, and to rip from it you need to buy an add-on). Its really just nostalgia junkies who can't bare to let it die.

A number of bands only release their physical singles on Vinyl nowadays - the entire Ash A-Z series was Vinyl/Download only, for example despite everything they had released previously being on CD.

Its also a pain in the ass when you get singles released on a mixture of CD and Vinyl, with different tracks on each format.
You can also scratch a CD when putting out a case, it's possible. And how do you mean vinyl is incompitable with modern devices? That's bullcrap. These days record players have build in software (that comes on a disc, for free) so that you easily rip them to your pc.

Nostalgic junkie? I find that rather offensive.. I'm not a 'junkie', I'm a Foo Fighters fan, as well as I'm a vinyl fan. Not because it's old, but because the quality is way better than a CD. I have old records from my parents from the 60's, they still work, and sound great. You should try and play a CD 40 years from now, and listen if it's still as good as it was before..

And releasing CD singles as well as vinyl singles is not a pain in the ass, it's fun. For example: I have the Big Me single on 2 formats. the CD one has 1 track extra. And why? Because I like to collect stuff from the Foo Fighters.
Old January 26th 2011, 05:28 PM
The Sidekick

I love it when people moan about Vinyl exclusives.

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Old January 26th 2011, 05:38 PM
A star burned out

home f**king is killing the prostitution industry.
• Jan 14 2001 - Rio de Janeiro | Jun 24 2006 - Osasco/SP (Jackson United) | Jun 26 2006 - São Paulo (Jackson United) | Apr 7 2012 - São Paulo| Jan 23 2015 - São Paulo | Feb 27 2018 - São Paulo | Feb 28 2018 - São Paulo •
Old January 26th 2011, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNESS View Post
home f**king is killing the prostitution industry.
Haha, MADNESS, you just made my day with this :P
Old January 26th 2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studmore View Post
I love it when people moan about Vinyl exclusives.
I know what you mean.. If you don't like them, why rant about it? Just leave it, and buy CD's
Old January 26th 2011, 05:50 PM
The Sidekick

I remember people complaining when the only place to get Spill and Bangin' was a 7". It was even funnier complaining it wasn't available in MP3, like that was a better alternative.

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Old January 26th 2011, 05:54 PM

Well.. Some people (I was one of them) just don't know that original CD's of vinyls have a better quality then downloadable mp3's.

Thank God I know now
Old January 26th 2011, 10:00 PM
I'd rather leave than suffer this

If anything iTunes and Napster and all that other shit killed the music business WAY before the CD did.
Old January 26th 2011, 11:35 PM

Quote:
A cheap turntable is forty quid, a decent one that won't ruin your records is under a hundred. CDs are more compact, but are just as easily damaged as records. If you treat them properly you shouldn't do any damage to either. Cds also deteriorate, you can keep a cd in the shrinkwrap and in 40 years time all the data could be lost, whereas vinyl will hold up for a lot longer.

It is not a redundant format at all, it's still the format to beat when it comes to audio quality.
This thread has gone way off topic now...

CDs aren't just as easily damaged as records as you aren't directly touching the surface and can wipe the surface of the disc if it gets dirty. If your hand slips when you drop the needle on an LP player, that can create a scratch. I've never scratched a CD taking it out of the case - even when I've dropped them on the floor, and I have a good few thousand CDs.

Vinyl deteriorates every time you play it as the needle is gradually wearing out the surface. That is a fact, and people I know have had to replace their favourite records several times.

I've not had CDs for 40 years, but the deterioration argument is something I believe that has been addressed in the past by changing the way they are made. In any case, you can make EXACT copies of the audio using a computer. I've recently re-ripped some of my CDs that are over 20 years old without errors.

Quote:
You can also scratch a CD when putting out a case, it's possible. And how do you mean vinyl is incompitable with modern devices? That's bullcrap. These days record players have build in software (that comes on a disc, for free) so that you easily rip them to your pc.
See above answer regarding CDs.

As for transferring from Vinyl - does that cut out the crackle and pop of the needle on the surface of the disc?

I have no desire to spend money on a player in the future, and only have a handful of LPs like the original version of Appetite For Destruction and And Justice For All. It was not long after that I completely gave up on Vinyl and moved to CD.

Quote:
Nostalgic junkie? I find that rather offensive.. I'm not a 'junkie', I'm a Foo Fighters fan, as well as I'm a vinyl fan. Not because it's old, but because the quality is way better than a CD. I have old records from my parents from the 60's, they still work, and sound great. You should try and play a CD 40 years from now, and listen if it's still as good as it was before..
You are taking it a bit personally, when I'm just creating a debate.

We will never agree on the quality front as I think Vinyl is vastly inferior on a like for like comparison. Most records are made digitally nowadays so a digital format such as CD gives the closest representation.

As I said above on deterioration, I can create an exact copy of CDs onto any digital medium and keep that forever.

Quote:
And releasing CD singles as well as vinyl singles is not a pain in the ass, it's fun. For example: I have the Big Me single on 2 formats. the CD one has 1 track extra. And why? Because I like to collect stuff from the Foo Fighters.
As I said above its a pain in the ass if like me you don't like or want to go back to Vinyl. We have moved on - digital media is the future, and Vinyl is the past.

As I said few people can play Vinyl nowadays as it was dropped from record shops for more than 10 years, so people buying new Hi-Fis got ones without Vinyl players.

Therefore people have to resort to searching for an illegal download of the b-sides when they can't play the discs they bought. I did this for a few multi-buy singles from the likes of Foo Fighters and Mars Volta.
The Alarm, Glasgow, May
Old January 27th 2011, 01:02 AM
The Sidekick

It's a simple proven fact that Vinyl can and does sound better than CD, when played/transferred on a good turntable. CD is limited to the red book standard, which is 44.1khz and 16-Bit. No music, modern or otherwise is recorded in that format, and so it's downsampled from whatever it is recorded at, to that format. Vinyl on the other hand isn't limited and so you can get the full spectrum of what is recorded on the vinyl. Most people rip vinyl at least at 96khz / 24-Bit, and these rips when done properly sound much better than CD. It's easy to see why, with the higher rate.

The other reason being (in the case of modern records) that they can't use the digital compression and loudness war mastering that they do on CD, on Vinyl (players wouldn't play them, the needle would bounce all over the place). Therefore vinyl is much more balanced and you end up with more dynamic range, and therefore better quality.

A very good, recent example is Them Crooked Vultures record. The CD is pretty badly compressed and limited, whereas the Vinyl isn't and sounds much better, even once downsampled to the same 44.1khz/16-Bit Red Book standard. It's not any higher fidelity, but it has much better dyamic range and no compression.

To answer your specific question no, with a good setup you won't hear pops, hiss or crackles on a good Vinyl transfer.

So yes, in short CD was a downgrade from Vinyl, despite it being digital. The CD was just better in other obvious ways - smaller, cheaper, easier to manage, digital. Both have been surpassed in recent years by Super Audio CD and DVD-Audio which are both digital like but much higher resolution than the red-book CD standard. Again a good example is Foo Fighters, One By One. The DVD-A version of that features the album at 88.2khz/24-Bit, which I imagine is much closer to the original digital masters rate, and as such is sounds much better than the 44.1khz / 16-Bit CD.

Unfortunatly neither has really caught on and production of them has pretty much ground to a halt. People prefer crappy MP3s it seems rather than high fidelity audio.

--