Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old September 16th 2017, 04:22 PM
Never knowing who to believe

Default Re: 'Concrete and Gold' out Sept 15th

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeroDunDun View Post
It may well change once I've listened to it a few more times, who knows.

Glad others are enjoying it though.
I'd recommend letting it plat in the background .... some parts have only clicked for me after five days.

(Haha, the beat on La Dee Da is still driving me nuts).

Old September 16th 2017, 05:55 PM
How's that for a slice of fried gold?!

My least favourite song on it so far is Concrete and Gold but I've only managed to listen through it from start to finish once all in all. The rest of it I do like!
Old September 16th 2017, 06:34 PM
You gotta promise not to stop when I say

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophie View Post
My least favourite song on it so far is Concrete and Gold but I've only managed to listen through it from start to finish once all in all. The rest of it I do like!
I tell you - I didn't really like Arrows at first, but it has REALLY grown on me!
Old September 16th 2017, 06:48 PM
Have you found your way around

I'm disappointed T-Shirt ended so quick. I really liked how it started out and where it was headed. Bummer.
Old September 16th 2017, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenStu View Post
I tell you - I didn't really like Arrows at first, but it has REALLY grown on me!
I think I really like Arrows.
Old September 16th 2017, 06:52 PM
You gotta promise not to stop when I say

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
I think I really like Arrows.
I absolutely ADORE it mate! I was blasting it out in the kitchen earlier and dancing round like a mad man. It's an awesome tune. Classic Foos.
Old September 16th 2017, 06:58 PM
Send in the congregation...

Lol I love.the beat in Ladeeda, it's seems a.divisive album but in a positive way. For instance, people are loving Dirty Water but it's doing nothing for me.
Brixton 99/Reading 00/Brixton 00/Brixton 00/V2001 Staff/V2001 Chelms/Oxegen 02/T in the Park 02/Reading 02/Astoria 02/CD:UK 02/Manchester 02/Newcastle 02/Birmingham 02/Cardiff 02/Wembley 02/Wembley 02/V2003 Chelms/V2003 Staff/Glasgow Green 03/Oxegen 05/Reading 05/Earls Court 05/Apollo Victoria 06/Hyde Park 06/Brighton 07/'606' @ V2007 Chelmsford/V2007 Chelmsford/O2 Arena 07/Wembley 08/Brixton 11/MK Bowl 11/MK Bowl day 2/Belfast 21/8/12/MK Bowl 6/9/15
Old September 16th 2017, 07:06 PM
I'd rather leave than suffer this

I think LaDeeDa is my new favourite song. I love the timing changes, it is so interesting to listen to.

I played it very, very loud today (neighbours were out ) and it sounds even better when you turn it right up
Old September 16th 2017, 07:20 PM
Right down the drain I go…

I love La Dee Da, Dirty Water has grown on me. I can't get into the title track as of yet, other than that I'm really happy with the album
Old September 16th 2017, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Dog View Post
I played it very, very loud today (neighbours were out ) and it sounds even better when you turn it right up
It's been a massive struggle for me to not floor it while driving.
2011: St. Paul
2015: St. Paul, Chicago (Wrigley), Anaheim (9/19)
2017: Chicago (Metro), Madison, Des Moines, Sioux Falls
2018: Milwaukee, St. Paul
Old September 16th 2017, 07:25 PM

Lots to like about this record. Many songs I could rate as my favorite. Don't think there a single song I would take off the album.
Old September 16th 2017, 08:02 PM
Looking for a dime, but found a quarter

There is something special about having my all-time favorite band of the past 20 years still being relevant, active and healthy. Every time they lead up to putting out a new record, I get a fun feeling. The lead-single, “Run”, was the most exciting lead-single to me since “Best of You” was the tease for In Your Honor 12 years ago. Now, the band has put out some great material between then and now, but Run got me very intrigued because it was different and to borrow a Grohlism, it sounds “HUGE”!
The band played some new tracks live in Europe, but I abstained from listening as there is something about listening to the entire new album as one piece of art for the first time. Holding the double gatefold and reading along to the lyrics is a great pleasure of mine. It should be noted this is just the second of nine studio albums that feature full lyrics!
After purchasing at the world’s friendliest independent record store, Barely Brothers Records, last night, I had to schedule a date with myself to fully absorb myself in the first listen.
Well, it happened a bit ago and I thought I would make notes of the first listen. Here we go with the raw and honest review of holistic listen number one:
1) T-Shirt: A short, soft intro, similar to “Doll” on the great album, The Colour and the Shape. The sound reminds me of “Statues” from the Echoes, Silence, Patience + Grace album. Beautiful lead guitar  Feels like spring time.
2) Run: The great lead-single released in back in June. I love the intro, then the wide spectrum of dynamic changes throughout! Awesome full, crisp sound. It’s all Foo Fighters sounds in one song. I really like the guitars in this song. The lyric “The hounds are on the chase” makes me smile.
3) Make It Right: Whoa! Awesome intro! Is that Led Zeppelin?! One think I noticed in the credits is no one is credited with “lead guitar” at any time. I want to know if Chris or Dave plays that tasty riff throughout. This song moves from Led Zeppelin to Joe Walsh to Stone Temple Pilots (chorus). A very cool mix and sound for this band to venture into. Of course, it’s even cooler when Justin Timberlake adds the “la la las” to the background. #StarPower The guitar at the end feels like Live and Let Die. After one full listen, this is the track that excites me the most.
4) The Sky Is A Neighborhood: I had heard this one a few times via the music video. It is pretty and catchy, but doesn’t feature Chris Shiflett, which I find odd. It’s not my favorite, but I like Dave’s vocals in the verses. I can picture a Grammy-like setting with an all-star singalong. I can also imagine this playing in a big movie.
5) La Dee Da: I like the bass/riffy intro. The chorus reminds me of “The Feast and the Famine” from Sonic Highways. Sounds like a song Taylor Hawkins had a lot of input on. A Foo Fighters song featuring a saxophone?! This song did not come across as strong as I was anticipating based on the descriptions of fellow Foo fans on the internet that I had been reading the past few weeks. Lots of Greg Kurstin (the mega pop producer) on this track.
6) Dirty Water: Gorgeous. I like the music and the singing. Again, this reminds me of the Tiny Music era of Stone Temple Pilots, which is a great thing. I love the riff/dynamics later in the song.
7) Arrows: This feels different, which is interesting. Many reviews say this one sounds like classic Foo. I entirely disagree. I love the guitar activity after the lyric “Fire Away!” I look forward to experiencing this one while driving on a warm night with my windows down. I can really sense some strong Chris Shiflett guitar presence as this song plays on. 
8) Happy Ever After (Zero Hour): The guitar and melody very much reminds me of “Blackbird” by the Beatles. A nice, pretty song, but not memorable. Dave’s acoustic playing is cool. Sadly, the song has a fade-out. 
9) Sunday Rain: Taylor on vocals and Sir Paul McCartney on drums. Sounds like music Taylor likes. Again, a very STP-like vibe during the chorus. Cool guitar riff outro, into an organ piece by Mr. Rami.
10) The Line: This sounds like the Foo! Awesome guitar/drum interplay. I really like Dave’s vocals again. Super song.
11) Concrete and Gold: lots of words have been written and said in anticipation of this song. I kept expecting something more to happen. Not a bad song, but not what I was expecting. The guitar ending totally feels like the great moment on The Colour and the Shape where “February Stars” bleeds into “Everlong”.
Standout tracks: Make It Right, Run, Dirty Water, The Line
Some overall thoughts as the LP was spinning:
This sounds like a Foo Fighters record, but they took the chance to work with a mega “pop” producer, who impacted this project in a good way. There are textures and layers and sounds not common in the Foo catalog. It sounds like Foo Fighters, but with elements of classic rock, and modern pop sounds and very cool vocal effects. I like the steady presence of background vocals throughout.
Cheers to Rami Jaffee for his first record as an official Foo Fighter.
Having now 12 Foo Fighters LPs in sequence in my library is a beautiful site.
A modern approach re: tools/recording/producing from a band that prides itself on being raw and human is a good result and sound. Kudos to Foo for having fun with this project and coming up with the sound they were going for.
I’d so love to experience the band play all of these at beautiful Target Field next July! 

~July 12, 2003 (St. Paul)
~October 2, 2005 (St. Paul)
~February 27, 2008 (Minneapolis)
~September 14, 2011 (St. Paul)
~August 22, 2015 (St. Paul)
~October 18, 2018 (St. Paul)
Old September 16th 2017, 08:08 PM

The Line
Run
Dirty Water
The Sky is a Neighbourhood
Arrows
Make it Right
La De Dah
Sunday Rain (Why didn't you drum, Dave?!)
Happy Ever After
T-Shirt (I wish you were longer, so so so much!)
Concrete and Gold

Best to worst IMO
Wembley Stadium, 6th June 2008
Wembley Stadium, 7th June 2008
Isle of Wight Festival, 11th June 2011
Milton Keynes Bowl, 2nd July 2011
Reading Festival, 26th August 2012
Glastonbury Festival, 26th June 2015
Milton Keynes Bowl, 6th September 2015
o2 Arena, 19th September 2017
London Stadium, 22nd June 2018
London Stadium, 23rd June 2018
Old September 16th 2017, 09:59 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grail72 View Post
Wow!! Yeah. Now that you say it!!
Well at least I'm not literally the only person in the world to think that then!
Old September 17th 2017, 03:55 AM
Ubiquitous member

The record arrived at my house today. Sadly, I'm at work again and won't be able to spin it up until after I see them at Voodoo in late October.
Old September 17th 2017, 05:40 AM
the user formerly known as mexicanFOO

First listen. (In car traveling, shitty car audio)

Sort of all over the place..
Muffled excessive noise.

This is impossible, but if MTV was "working", The Line might be an Everlong for new generations. I even want a video done by Gondry.

Dirty Water. FUN! Reminded me of 70's America (the band), and then they take it to an opposite side, then it blends perfectly. It's not rushed, they took their time.

Arrows, awesome! Different.

Make it right. Scissor sisters' take your momma out. That's all I kept thinking xD

Weaaaaak outro.
The whole thing shall grow.

Last edited by Beto : September 17th 2017 at 05:47 AM.
Old September 17th 2017, 06:13 AM
I'd rather leave than suffer this

Quite a few short videos from a single interview with the band talking about the album here. They also explain the "Fuck you, Darrell!" at the end of Concrete and Gold:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...UItljND3iV8mXM
Old September 17th 2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Stacked Actor View Post

There's always at least one.
Not everyone is going to enjoy it as much as you, everyone has a different taste. Some will like it, some won't. If you like it, that's all that matters, right?
Old September 17th 2017, 12:29 PM
Never knowing who to believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by paid mourner View Post
Not everyone is going to enjoy it as much as you, everyone has a different taste. Some will like it, some won't. If you like it, that's all that matters, right?
Which is what I said literally two seconds later. I double posted for clarification, so cut me some slack.

Old September 17th 2017, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Stacked Actor View Post
Which is what I said literally two seconds later. I double posted for clarification, so cut me some slack.
It's not this post, also in the review thread... I'm getting some serious Chris Crocker vibes from you. Everytime there's just a bit of criticism in a review that is not entirely positive, you go in a lengthy post on how wrong they are... but there is no right or wrong.