Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old August 6th 2015, 07:21 AM
I'll Stick Around

Default Re: lonely as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo3001 View Post
Weaker than the released ones?
Yes. MDD Lonely As You is a bad song, the 1x1 version is a great song.
Old August 6th 2015, 08:34 AM
Have you found your way around

Default Re: lonely as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerrichards View Post
Yes. MDD Lonely As You is a bad song, the 1x1 version is a great song.
Well thats a matter of taste really,

But I agree to the point that if this had been the released version of 1x1 it definitely would have been a weird collection of songs. Of course there would still have been AML but it would have missed TLT which was a key song on the final album sales wise.
Old August 6th 2015, 09:32 AM
I'd rather leave than suffer this

Default Re: Who will give the Million Dollar Demos as Christmas gift?

Just listend the whole Album. I've never been a fan of 1x1.

All my life, Have it all and Lonely as you are great. The Sound is more dynamic and less compressed and annoying.

Now I understand why it's called Million Dollar Demos

11/11/15 Wien
Old August 6th 2015, 10:04 AM
I'll Stick Around

these are not demos but an unfinished alternate version of the album. If properly mixed/mastered, the final album is better imo and i still wish they'll do that at some point. i dream of all my life, low and times like these with the sound quality of sonic or echoes.
Those versions are cool because they're not brickwalled like the finished product but on a lot something is missing and i see why the band was unhappy with it.

here's my humble opinion:
all my life: interesting, especially the screaming part with disto but chorus is a bit weak.
burn away: still a weak song to me
come back: this one is better but the final version has a very interesting ending
halo: clearer is better for pop parts and i like this version better
have it all: maybe the stronger one as the ending is way better, the band playing it this way live says it all
Lonely as you: 50/50 in some parts better, in some not
overdrive: like halo but even more pronounced, album version sounds really like shit and a pop song deserves a clean sound, it's not black metal nor garage rock
Old August 6th 2015, 11:41 AM
I'll Stick Around

of course the link is down to download now
9-19-11 Palace of Auburn Hills, Auburn Hills, MI
9-20-11 Quicken Loans Arena Cleveland, OH
8-24-15 DTE Music Theatre Clarkston, MI

TCV: 10-8-09 The Fillmore Detroit, MI

FooFightersLive.com
Old August 6th 2015, 11:56 AM
I'd rather leave than suffer this

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinsabres View Post
of course the link is down to download now
it's on YouTube

11/11/15 Wien
Old August 6th 2015, 01:41 PM

I have a HUGE boner ... although I had that before I read this thread. It sucks, I am at work, and can't download/stream... i have a long day waiting for this, how am i supposed to concentrate?!
Old August 6th 2015, 01:51 PM
How Do You Do

I can't stop listening to these recordings. For me, there's so much more energy, more life. they're so much more listenable than One By One, i'm finally able to enjoy these songs (it's taken 13 years right?).

Admin @FooFightersUK
Old August 6th 2015, 05:16 PM
I'll Stick Around

Is Dave Grohl leaking old Nirvana and Foo Fighters demos? (source)
This has been a remarkably exciting week for Nirvana and Foo Fighters fans. First off, a whole slew of previously unheard Nirvana tracks were leaked to the internet over the weekend, ranging from alternate mixes/takes of classics like “Polly” and “Come As You Are” to acoustic demos of “Verse Chorus Verse” and “Pennyroyal Tea,” the latter of which you can hear below. (For a comprehensive list of all the demos and rarities that appeared out of nowhere, pay a visit to this Reddit thread.)

But wait, there’s more: Illiteracy Will Prevail, the demo tape of Kurt Cobain’s pre-Nirvana band Fecal Matter, also hit the web earlier this week. This is the first time the entirety of 17-song demo has been made publicly available online, though portions of it have existed on the internet for some time.

Talk about a treasure trove, right? Well, it got even crazier yesterday with the sudden and surprising leak of seven tracks from Foo Fighters’ long salivated-over Million Dollar Demos. The demos are from the original One By One recording sessions in 2001, eventually scrapped due to inter-band tension, and include such future Foos classics as “All My Life” and “Have It All.”

So, you might be asking yourself, “What does Dave Grohl have to do with this?” Allow us to explain: The Redditor who posted the Foos demos had the username “Dale_Nixon.” Anyone familiar with punk history knows that “Dale Nixon” is a frequently used pseudonym by musicians trying to cover their identity on projects typically due to contractual obligations, used by everyone from Greg Ginn on a Black Flag record to Brian Baker on a Dag Nasty record to—whaddya know—Dave Grohl on a Melvins record. Could still just be a coincidence, right? Well, it’s also worth noting that the bassist of Cobain’s pre-Nirvana band, Fecal Matter, was Dale Crover—the same Dale Crover that plays drums for the Melvins.

To add to the conspiracy theory, the headline “Dale_Nixon” (whose account has since been deleted) used to drop those Foos demos on an unsuspecting public was “We get the warhead and we hold the world ransom for… ONE MILLION DOLLARS!” which you might recognize as a quote from Dr. Evil in the 1997 movie Austin Powers: International Man Of Mystery. Why is this significant? Well, this magazine feature on Foo Fighters from that same year mentions that Grohl was obsessed with the movie, remarking he had watched it five times in a day, later ending the article with a story about Grohl impersonating Dr. Evil and shouting out some of his more memorable quotes. The plot thickens. (Sort of.)

Lastly, it’s pretty unusual that all of this admittedly super-rare and highly sought after material was leaked in such a short period of time, don’t you think? Seems like something that someone sitting at home with a busted-up ankle might be doing to pass the time before the next episode of a Deadliest Catch marathon comes on or something. (Keep in mind, the Foos have been off the road since the last week of July, which would give the guy plenty of time to dig through old boxes of junk and unearth these gems.) Unfortunately, Grohl’s publicist could not be reached for comment by press time, so we can’t truly confirm this, but Dave, if you’re out there and you’re leaking your old demos, that’s pretty damn cool. Thanks for always being awesome.

UPDATE: A member of Foo Fighters’ publicity team got back to us this morning with the following statement: “Absolutely not true. Official comment: ridiculous.” Of course, that’s what someone covering up for Dave Grohl being the Robin Hood of Nirvana tape trading would say… #thetruthisoutthere
Old August 6th 2015, 05:23 PM
There's something out there...

That's so dumb, they actually used "Dave Grohl is confirmed to have liked Austin Powers!!!" as evidence.
Old August 6th 2015, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipKid815 View Post
That's so dumb, they actually used "Dave Grohl is confirmed to have liked Austin Powers!!!" as evidence.
What? That's not a smoking gun here??
2011: St. Paul
2015: St. Paul, Chicago (Wrigley), Anaheim (9/19)
2017: Chicago (Metro), Madison, Des Moines, Sioux Falls
2018: Milwaukee, St. Paul
Old August 6th 2015, 05:47 PM
A star burned out

I'll stir the pot a little here and say I do believe Dave could've done it. just a couple months ago they did that interview for NME where Dave expressed some interest in digging up an old demo for Everlong, maybe he was going through his old archives and came about the original 1x1.

I know he hated it back then, to the point of fully redoing it but he's also known to change his mind a lot and if anyone changes so much over the course of 13 years, I don't think it would be different with him. the recording of that album was a dark period and I believe that sipped into the whole process but over a decade later and a whole bunch of different albums later, who's to say he didn't finally sat down and heard the material for what it is? without all the context of that time? I'm not a musician but I'm a creator for a living, has been an illustrator for most of my life and it's not unusual to look back at things I did that I hated years ago and suddenly see something different and change my mind about it.

the fact that management denied it only supports it even more, they wouldn't want something like this to happen because they're a business, and even though Dave sort of respects that, he'll always be a punk at heart no matter how many ballads he's written, the attitude never fully died. I don't think he suddenly changed his mind, I think 13 years of new experiences did.

bottom line though: it doesn't really matter, I just think it's fun to think that way and that's what I'd like to happen but the songs are here and after so much desire for them for so long it's just about enjoying it. I won't be phased one bit if Dave himself steps up denying it.
• Jan 14 2001 - Rio de Janeiro | Jun 24 2006 - Osasco/SP (Jackson United) | Jun 26 2006 - São Paulo (Jackson United) | Apr 7 2012 - São Paulo| Jan 23 2015 - São Paulo | Feb 27 2018 - São Paulo | Feb 28 2018 - São Paulo •
Old August 6th 2015, 06:22 PM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNESS View Post
I'll stir the pot a little here and say I do believe Dave could've done it. just a couple months ago they did that interview for NME where Dave expressed some interest in digging up an old demo for Everlong, maybe he was going through his old archives and came about the original 1x1.

I know he hated it back then, to the point of fully redoing it but he's also known to change his mind a lot and if anyone changes so much over the course of 13 years, I don't think it would be different with him. the recording of that album was a dark period and I believe that sipped into the whole process but over a decade later and a whole bunch of different albums later, who's to say he didn't finally sat down and heard the material for what it is? without all the context of that time? I'm not a musician but I'm a creator for a living, has been an illustrator for most of my life and it's not unusual to look back at things I did that I hated years ago and suddenly see something different and change my mind about it.

the fact that management denied it only supports it even more, they wouldn't want something like this to happen because they're a business, and even though Dave sort of respects that, he'll always be a punk at heart no matter how many ballads he's written, the attitude never fully died. I don't think he suddenly changed his mind, I think 13 years of new experiences did.

bottom line though: it doesn't really matter, I just think it's fun to think that way and that's what I'd like to happen but the songs are here and after so much desire for them for so long it's just about enjoying it. I won't be phased one bit if Dave himself steps up denying it.
That's a possibility, we will never know

DG 2002: I hate these tracks, put that away from me.

DG 2015 after hearing it again: Actually, that's not so bad. It's different but not bad at all. Let's release this, people will like it and we can make some money. But wait...Shit...Think I said these tracks would never see the light of the sun, that would make me feel like a douche....think Dave, think...GOT IT! I'm gonna leak this shit up anonymously! After that we can release the full thing officialy and make some money.
Old August 6th 2015, 10:03 PM
The Sidekick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNESS View Post
the fact that management denied it
Did I miss something?

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Old August 6th 2015, 10:22 PM
How Do You Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Did I miss something?
probably from the above link "...UPDATE: A member of Foo Fighters’ publicity team got back to us this morning with the following statement: “Absolutely not true. Official comment: ridiculous.” "

Admin @FooFightersUK
Old August 6th 2015, 10:26 PM
The Sidekick

Ah right, missed that. Well I'm still inclined to agree with them. I just can't see him leaking his own music rather than sell it. Even if he did want to give it out for free, why would he do it anonymously like that? He's Dave Grohl, it's his music.

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Old August 6th 2015, 10:41 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Aren't new Reddit members not automatically allowed to post external links without some sort of special permissions/required number of posts?
Old August 6th 2015, 10:57 PM
Always watching, always FUCKING WATCHING

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMus1 View Post
Aren't new Reddit members not automatically allowed to post external links without some sort of special permissions/required number of posts?
Depends on the sub...the Foo Fighters one (which I help mod/design) doesn't have a post number/account age requirement.

10.26.02 - Bridge School Benefit
04.18.03 - Universal City
10.28.05 - Oakland
07.14.06 - Berkeley
09.02.06 - Santa Barbara
02.02.08 - Oakland
03.06.08 - Inglewood
06.05.11 - 2011 MTV Movie Awards
02.12.12 - 54th Grammy Awards
01.31.13 - Sound City Players/Premiere
01.10.15 - Dave's Birthday Bash
05.28.17 - BottleRock
10.07.17 - CalJam '17
10.31.17 - Jimmy Kimmel Live!
12.02.17 - Sacramento
08.26.18 - The Holy Shits
09.12.18 - San Jose
10.06.18 - CalJam '18
Old August 7th 2015, 12:22 AM
I'm a Muggle Fuggin' Wizard

Dumb question but what was this album going to be called before they rerecorded it? Was it still One by One? Did they release a track listing as well. What was it? Anyone know? Simon?
Old August 7th 2015, 12:56 AM
The Sidekick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skezz View Post
Dumb question but what was this album going to be called before they rerecorded it? Was it still One by One? Did they release a track listing as well. What was it? Anyone know? Simon?
I've never heard any other names personally. I assume it was still One By One. As for the tracklisting, it was supposedly going to be:

All My Life
Come Back
Halo
Walking A Line
Have It All
Normal
Burn Away
The One
Lonely As You
Overdrive
Tired As You

--