Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > FooFighters.com
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old February 26th 2011, 06:33 PM
It's never ending

Default Re: An open letter to the management team behind the Foo Fighters

Yeah, but I think the point is that the band have full access to interact directly with fans, instead they went through a third party, someone not everyone who is a fan will be following, especially with their Twitter being regularly updated.

Obviously they can promote and advertise and whatever however they want, but it just strikes me as a real missed opportunity to actually give real fans a first chance.
Old February 26th 2011, 06:34 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post
You know there is no specific way that the band owe anyone on how it is announced. You might think that Zane Lowe is a tool, but the band may not. It helps promote the upcoming album.

I am not "in the know" about these shows at all. I am just saying that the band can perform and announce the performance, anyway they want. Does it still suck balls when you want to desperately see your favorite band and you can't? Absolutely.
I don't think anybody's questioning that the band can announce the gig how they like. But that doesn't make it a fair method - fans have been poorly treated here. We're not asking to dictate how the band does things, but merely suggesting that the management have a think about it.

If it had been announced and tickets distributed fairly then we would have no right to complain.
Old February 26th 2011, 06:36 PM
The Sidekick

Quote:
Originally Posted by arob7777 View Post
Except for the fact that on most of the latter dates EVERYONE seemed to know where it was before it was announced (thanks to a certain radio station based in LA), but I agree we had a little bit fairer of a shot.
Difference again is that it doesn't matter if you knew where this show was a month ago, tickets were sold online so knowing where it was happening was of no value when it came to getting in and getting a ticket. all you needed was a ticket link, which was given out by a third party first, not the band. That's where the annoyance is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Thom View Post
Yeah, but I think the point is that the band have full access to interact directly with fans, instead they went through a third party, someone not everyone who is a fan will be following, especially with their Twitter being regularly updated.

Obviously they can promote and advertise and whatever however they want, but it just strikes me as a real missed opportunity to actually give real fans a first chance.
I think that is basically what I was trying to say. Struck me as odd. I'm not even that annoyed, even if FF had tweeted it themselves today I wouldn't have got in. Just don't like the way it was done for others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdrummer View Post
I don't think anybody's questioning that the band can announce the gig how they like. But that doesn't make it a fair method - fans have been poorly treated here. We're not asking to dictate how the band does things, but merely suggesting that the management have a think about it.

If it had been announced and tickets distributed fairly then we would have no right to complain.
Yeah I mean that's what I basically said in the other thread. Secret shows in the past have been announced by the band, tickets have gone on sale shortly after and you either got one or you didn't. If you didn't get one that was tough luck and people may have been annoyed, but you know you had a fair crack at it like everyone else that follows the band through official channels.

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.

Last edited by Simon : February 26th 2011 at 06:39 PM.
Old February 26th 2011, 06:57 PM
I'd rather leave than suffer this

Quote:
Originally Posted by arob7777 View Post
Except for the fact that on most of the latter dates EVERYONE seemed to know where it was before it was announced (thanks to a certain radio station based in LA), but I agree we had a little bit fairer of a shot.
Not sure if we really had a better shot. Wasn't pretty much every show during the week? How about those with jobs that had to work until 5, or those with other commitments and responsibilities during the weekdays that couldn't sit online for hours trying to figure clues out? The l.a. shows favored the unemployed and those with less responsibility. I myslef had to bring my 2 kids up with me to wait in line for the troubadour show, then drive them home 50 miles and then 50 miles back up to the venue right away. That was the only show I even had a choice/chance to attend due to school schedules, other plans, etc. We are just lucky there were 5 shows instead of just 1.

Last edited by forgotaboutsteve : February 26th 2011 at 07:01 PM.
Old February 26th 2011, 06:59 PM
I'd rather leave than suffer this

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdrummer View Post

Who is the arbiter of "fair", though?
Old February 26th 2011, 07:09 PM
Fuck it all, I came from nothing

It's too bad you guys got screwed. I would feel worse about it if it were not for the fact that you guys are already spoiled rotten when it comes to special Foo Gigs.

But still, it does suck, sorry guys....

___________________________________live.
Old February 26th 2011, 07:11 PM
Have you found your way around

When the Band is on the road, who has time for Twitter? I figure the DJ is at fault like Cosmo said, and a guy who could not keep a secret.
Too bad London, do you know what we got in WASH D C ?
Nothing...
I am greatful the Foos can pack a club in 2 hours. No matter who announces it.
I am pretty sure the Dj and Radio station we're footing part of the bill for the show, or arranged the thing to go down, so be it, they get bragging rights, whatever.
You got to remember, these small gigs are all a gift, a special gift from a cool band. A very busy bunch, including the Foo Management. I know Dave would be satisfied playing a totally suprise gig, where nothing is announced and they just show up and rock the fuck out for the lucky S O B s who happen to be there.
We're fans, we're not going anywhere. Let the band reach new people, and do things to branch out, and reach ears they might not have reached any other way. Atleast they give something back.

The DJ sounds like the douche who let the cat out of the bag.
Spilt the beans, opened a can of worms, revieled the big secret gig.
Pay Attention when they are in town, keep your ear to the ground.
Old February 26th 2011, 07:27 PM
It's never ending

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddlefreak View Post
When the Band is on the road, who has time for Twitter?
I'd be shocked if someone on the band's group didn't have a smart phone?
Old February 26th 2011, 07:29 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Foo Fighters are a "brand" - I know people won't like this statement. They are marketed better than any other band you can think off. Some people may think that the management have made a mistake but think about all the good things that they have done - a teaser campaign of 30 seconds of a song, tv ads in the middle of x factor and using the godlike genius award to launch the album and say "we're back".

It has to be said that "Team Foo Fighters" are the best around.
Old February 26th 2011, 07:29 PM
Never knowing who to believe

Post Re: An open letter to the management team behind the Foo Fighters

I'm just hopeful the band announce another special UK show it doesn't happen in London.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katylalala View Post
Oh by the way I signed you up for a three way with me and Ollie, k? Thx BFF.
]
Old February 26th 2011, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilElvis View Post
I'm just hopeful the band announce another special UK show it doesn't happen in London.
london is the UK - c'mon mate, I thought you would have realised that one by now.

stu.

Officially the first of the 86,000 into Wembley Stadium - Saturday 7th June 2008

Member of FFPB 5-a-side Championship title winning side - Hyde Park - 8th June 2008

Winner of FFPB Penalty shoot-out - Hyde Park - 8th June 2008
Old February 26th 2011, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Exactly, I know the lad's a godlike genius, but a 30 second tweet,...
Just because they are touring, is neither here of there
Wembley Stadium, 6th June 2008
Wembley Stadium, 7th June 2008
Isle of Wight Festival, 11th June 2011
Milton Keynes Bowl, 2nd July 2011
Reading Festival, 26th August 2012
Glastonbury Festival, 26th June 2015
Milton Keynes Bowl, 6th September 2015
o2 Arena, 19th September 2017
London Stadium, 22nd June 2018
London Stadium, 23rd June 2018
Reading Festival, 25th August 2019
Old February 26th 2011, 07:39 PM
The Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddlefreak View Post
When the Band is on the road, who has time for Twitter?
Dave has an iPhone. Don't know about everyone else but it was Dave who was tweeting on the @foofighters account in LA.

Follow my dog on Instagram: jackthekeeshond
Old February 26th 2011, 07:48 PM

Quote:
I agree, they all do, but I don't think they want to be the one who told about the secret show, that is up to Dave to tell up, he is the spokesman and MC for the band. He also is the head or Co-head of the Foo management team, and get's final decission on stuff like, when and who is to post secret shows. He may have worked out some sort of deal with the DJ. He doesn't have to care about us just because we care about him, he tries to though.

I am a little confused because apparently tickets we're sold in advance?
Doesn't make sense for a suprise gig. Obviously the band was repaying a favor to the Radio station or DJ if this occurred. Could it be to them invite their advertisers and loved ones?
I don't know what I'm saying anymore...
Over and out.
Old February 26th 2011, 07:53 PM

the DJ in question's tweets have been removed.

stu.

Officially the first of the 86,000 into Wembley Stadium - Saturday 7th June 2008

Member of FFPB 5-a-side Championship title winning side - Hyde Park - 8th June 2008

Winner of FFPB Penalty shoot-out - Hyde Park - 8th June 2008
Old February 26th 2011, 07:54 PM

I understand the nature of surprise gigs, but just a hint would've been nice...I contemplated staying in London and missing my flight home after the Big Gig last night, and I looked around for clues, but the most recent twitter stuff I could find said no show, so I thought it was no show. Tried to look again on my way to the airport as well, but it wasn't working, and there wouldn't have been anything on it yet anyway. So, I'm just crushed really, especially since this could've been one of the few chances I had at club gigs.

So maybe they could do some club shows with advance notice, as it has suggestedly been done in the past? Even if it's just two days, gives you time to see if you manage to get a ticket and if you do, you can make plans how to get there in time.
The Cologne Gebäude 9 show in 2002 was one of the best nights of my life, and I could've never gone to this without tickets being on sale online.
Old February 26th 2011, 08:12 PM

I would love to see the band pass out tickets with bar codes via the PM or via e mail for the serious fans of the band from this message board.
It is an option, but I am sure some of us would still not get in, and complain about it.
Old February 26th 2011, 08:18 PM
I'll Stick Around

puddlefreak I would love to see the band pass out tickets with bar codes via the PM or via e mail for the serious fans of the band from this message board.
It is an option, but I am sure some of us would still not get in, and complain about it.

Yes, yes, yes.

That is all. Just yes.
02/07/2011
26/08/2012
18/02/2013(ssm)
19/02/2013(ssp)

My TATT.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m.../grohltatt.jpg

come join our little Foo Fam
https://www.facebook.com/groups/foofam/
Old February 26th 2011, 08:21 PM
The Sidekick

I don't care who gets into shows like this, whether it be a casual fan who knows a few songs or a hardcore fan that knows every b-side, everyone has as much right. All that bothered me is how everyone didn't have an equal chance.

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Old February 26th 2011, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studmore View Post
I don't care who gets into shows like this, whether it be a casual fan who knows a few songs or a hardcore fan that knows every b-side, everyone has as much right. All that bothered me is how everyone didn't have an equal chance.
I see your point, once it was leaked the band should have jumped on it right away, but I figure they/he just said oh well fuck it, too late now...

With tickets sold in advance, I wonder what the Ticket scalper is getting
for the ticks on e bay...BrB leme check.

I Don't see any yet.