Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion > Frequent Post Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old June 15th 2005, 09:09 AM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by oero
Has anyone else had similar experiences with the driver being installed without your permission?
The internet does it all the time.

And yes it is against your rights, but sonys view on it will be: "if you have a problem with this your obviously a pirate."
Old June 15th 2005, 11:17 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Angry lord give me strength

IM FRUSTRATED AS HELL AND SLEEPY. WILL I HAVE TO BUY IT FROM ITUNES IF I CANT GET THIS STUPID "GOTO START MENU" B.S. STRAIGHT < I ALREADY BOUGHT THE LIMITED ED, AND A COPY FOR MY SIS. 60 BUCKS DOWN D DRAIN, PLUS ANOTHER 17.99 FROM ITUNES JUST TO RAWK THE FOO ON MY IPOD. AAAAAHHHHHHHHH !!!!

sorry guys for yelling i need my binky
Old June 15th 2005, 12:02 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason41483
Yes it's legal, because you agreed to it. Shrink wrap, click wrap, and browse wrap contracts are binding and you're held to the terms you agreed to whether you read all of the license agreement or not. I know this cause I just finished up with International Business Law at university last week.

Sad thing is, I can't even find the damn driver on my computer to disable it, lol.
So are you saying that just because we open the shrink wrap that we are agreeing to allow the cd to automatically install files on our machines? If that is the case, there should be a license agreement on the shrink wrap because how are we supposed to know that?

PS - why am I not getting e-mail notifications when threads I'm subscribed to are replied too? Yes I have that option set.
Old June 15th 2005, 02:11 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Angry

Just a complaint that all I want to do is play [not copy] the CD on my computer and I have to download software. I label warning against duplication is a lot different than saying this will not play on your computer unless you download unnecessary software in 2 point font on the back of the CD. This will be the last CD I buy with this protection. FYI-I have never downloaded a CD from the net in my life.

Does anyone have a link to Sony BMG to complain?
Old June 15th 2005, 02:14 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Angry Copy Protection on CD

I purchased the new Foo CD yesterday at the local Circuit City, got it in my car and listened to some of the album, pretty good stuff. Got it home and obviously I ripped it to my iTunes folder and put it on my iPod so I can listen to it to and from work. Got to work this morning and wow, all the songs skip! Well I seriously doubt the Foo Fighters look at any of these posts, but all I can say is they aren't gaining any fans by pulling shit like this. The fact of the matter is that the music is going to be on the web illegally one way or another, you should realize this and there are some fans that will go and buy the album regardless. I mean just look at the board from the last few days, THERE ARE METHODS POSTED ON THIS BOARD THAT ALLOW YOU TO WORK AROUND THE COPY PROTECTION!!!! I didn't buy this CD to listen to it in CD format, I don't really think anyone does this anymore, and I didn't buy it to have to install some stupid media player that will only be useful for one album. This was a big mistake on the Foo Fighters part to do this, your music will be out there illegally even with your great copy protection, cause basically people will outsmart the assholes who copy protected the album. Sorry Foo, you lose....both the copy protection and fans who would have bought this and future albums. If I had the option, I would return the album and find it on the web illegally. It will be the last Foo Fighters album I buy..
Old June 15th 2005, 05:46 PM
Fuck it all, I came from nothing

How odd...I didn't do the shift trick...and I easily ripped the album with Creative Media center.... all with the U.S. version

___________________________________live.
Old June 15th 2005, 06:10 PM
I'll Stick Around

I was cruising the Sony BMG and RCA sites before looking for some contact information and came across this, haven't had a chance to read it yet, but I suspect it's mostly propaganda: http://www.musicunited.org/

This may also interest some of you:
An anti DMCA petition with just shy of 20000 signatures: http://www.petitiononline.com/nixdmca/petition.html

Some more DRM/DMCA stuff:
..These five are particularly relevant:
http://p2pnet.net/story/1712 - especially this one
http://p2pnet.net/story/5206
http://p2pnet.net/story/3329
http://p2pnet.net/story/2469
http://p2pnet.net/story/2412

http://www.anti-dmca.org/

Another interesting site, this one has a good idea, not sure how effective it is though, and it's applicable to a somewhat different arena, but still relevant: http://www.downhillbattle.org/riaa/

This guy here writes a nice article on what music he's 'stolen' and justification for each:
http://p2pnet.net/story/5201

And yeah, NZ rocks:
http://p2pnet.net/story/5205

And dear god, don't blame the band for this!
Old June 15th 2005, 06:10 PM
Visiting is pretty...

fuck this shit
fuck lars ulrich
fuck BMG and Sony
fuck the idea of making listening to music illegal...?? fuck them.
fuck everything

the cd is great though. i love it. kudos to the foos for making the ultimate collection.

ok, well im gonna go listen to the cd in my car in my driveway...god forbid that i copy it to my computer...
Old June 15th 2005, 06:34 PM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdrspock
I purchased the new Foo CD yesterday at the local Circuit City, got it in my car and listened to some of the album, pretty good stuff. Got it home and obviously I ripped it to my iTunes folder and put it on my iPod so I can listen to it to and from work. Got to work this morning and wow, all the songs skip! Well I seriously doubt the Foo Fighters look at any of these posts, but all I can say is they aren't gaining any fans by pulling shit like this. The fact of the matter is that the music is going to be on the web illegally one way or another, you should realize this and there are some fans that will go and buy the album regardless. I mean just look at the board from the last few days, THERE ARE METHODS POSTED ON THIS BOARD THAT ALLOW YOU TO WORK AROUND THE COPY PROTECTION!!!! I didn't buy this CD to listen to it in CD format, I don't really think anyone does this anymore, and I didn't buy it to have to install some stupid media player that will only be useful for one album. This was a big mistake on the Foo Fighters part to do this, your music will be out there illegally even with your great copy protection, cause basically people will outsmart the assholes who copy protected the album. Sorry Foo, you lose....both the copy protection and fans who would have bought this and future albums. If I had the option, I would return the album and find it on the web illegally. It will be the last Foo Fighters album I buy..

come on, stop blaming the band for the fucking copy protection. god! have you ever heard of record companies or something like that. i mean they (the record companies) established copy protection (even like the software industry) to decrease illegal sharing (as mp3s) and raise their declining volume of sales. It wasn't Dave or Nate or any other musician who said, oh, lets put a copy protection on our CDs to tease all our fans and to earn a lot of extra cash. A few years ago Dave said in a radio interview that he's all for any kind of distribution, whether it's bootleg, whether its mp3 and so on.

But yeah, you are right. Return the CD and download it illegally. That would better the problem.....oh wait, or was it the origin ??????????
Old June 15th 2005, 06:49 PM
I'll Stick Around

Yeah, in my opinion (let me just make that clear, in my opinion) a boycott will do very little for the situation as there's always going to be a crapload of people who buy the CDs anyway, there will never be a big enough proportion of boycotters to make a difference. The problem needs to be tackled in some other fashion. How? I don't know, maybe a movement by retailers or something, someone more than 'the common consumer'. Either that or a massive organised group of consumers. Maybe something entirely different. Thoughts?

I just don't think boycotting is the way to go, unless it can be achieved on a very large scale, which I really doubt. A large number of people just sit there and take this crap because it's too hard to stand against it, or they don't know any better.

Edit: Whoa, hold on. Almost forgot about the music there. What's better than owning the original in all it's kick ass packaging glory? *looks at his limited edition* You'd be hard pressed to make me not buy that, it rocks [it also doesn't have copy protection, but hey ] Copy protection in this form needs to die. It can't be done with CD media dammit. And probably not with any other media at that. Change your fucking way of marketing stuff to the world, labels, embrace the internet, not go all out trying to stop it.

Last edited by CapBBeard : June 15th 2005 at 06:54 PM.
Old June 15th 2005, 07:03 PM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdrspock
People are freaking out wayyyy to much over this.

Take a few extra minutes and disable the driver. I was explaining to my computer savy friend and she just laughed, "Well it will get rid of the lazy ones. I know it sucks to do it in the first place, but well life is a bitch at times.

I take it I am the only one who bought another new album yesterday because the exact same protection is on that album too and it's not RCA or Sony. It's not the band. It's the record industry. Getting worked up about it is going to accomplish nothing.

"And what would you wear to work?"
"I have shirts...with...buttons..."

Formally Flyergirl14
Old June 15th 2005, 07:57 PM
The Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMordecai
People are freaking out wayyyy to much over this.

Take a few extra minutes and disable the driver. I was explaining to my computer savy friend and she just laughed, "Well it will get rid of the lazy ones. I know it sucks to do it in the first place, but well life is a bitch at times.

I take it I am the only one who bought another new album yesterday because the exact same protection is on that album too and it's not RCA or Sony. It's not the band. It's the record industry. Getting worked up about it is going to accomplish nothing.
Hey there!

Thanks again for posting that Ipod information. I made a post with your information and stuck it (you probably noticed).

Thanks!!

Follow my dog on Instagram: jackthekeeshond
Old June 15th 2005, 08:48 PM
I'll Stick Around

If anybody knows how to disable the driver or find it for that matter on Windows 98, please help me out. The system's device manager options aren't the same as Windows 2000 or XP. There's no "Show hidden devices" option, and there's no such file as sbcphid.sys or whatever on my entire computer.

I already accepted the MediaMax terms and stuff on another CD I bought last year and I accepted the terms with the Foo album so I could listen to it but it doesn't even play in MediaMax. I want to know how to disable MediaMax after the driver (supposedly) has been installed. I just wanna be able to listen to it on the computer (in Windows Media Player, ATI audio, or Winamp) and burn a copy.

Somebody...Windows 98 help?
Old June 15th 2005, 09:07 PM
I'll Stick Around

I bought the original CD and I used the bittorrent program to download the songs just as a back-up to make copies to myself.
Old June 15th 2005, 10:12 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddsy
The internet does it all the time.

And yes it is against your rights, but sonys view on it will be: "if you have a problem with this your obviously a pirate."
The difference is that this isn't some shady quasi-legal or offshore company installing software. This is Sony! (Yes, I know they're a Japanese company but they're still bound by US laws if they're going to publish here).

It's wrong on the internet and it's wrong for Sony to do it. Class action suit anyone?
Old June 15th 2005, 11:12 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Default And It Works!

I'm probably going to f*ck things up by posting this and Sunncomm will find a way to fix it...but here's a method:

_http://www.epirate.net/mediamax.htm

I haven't found a way to verify if my ripped mp3's are actually at the bitrate I selected, and not re-ripped from the shitty-arse 128 crap Sunncomm allows you. This company needs to disband, they lose at life.
Old June 15th 2005, 11:15 PM
Visiting is pretty...

My PC wouldn't rip it either with EAC, so I used
Audiograbber (which is nice, free, spyware-free software)
http://www.audiograbber.com-us.net/download.html
You can set it to rip to MP3 or WAV. I used the FreeDB button to find the names of the tracks and then I ripped to WAV and will compress with a lossless format like Monkeys Audio (APE) to preserve the quality. Exactly the same quality as the discs and half the size!
Old June 15th 2005, 11:54 PM
Have you found your way around

Wow, you guys are having problems. I put my CD in, and it had a player. One of the options on the player thing was 'Copy'. I clicked it and it saved all of the songs to my music folder. I don't need the CD to listen to it. It works fine.
Old June 16th 2005, 12:03 AM
Have you found your way around

Quote:
Originally Posted by End Over End
Wow, you guys are having problems. I put my CD in, and it had a player. One of the options on the player thing was 'Copy'. I clicked it and it saved all of the songs to my music folder. I don't need the CD to listen to it. It works fine.
Yea, that's weird. I popped it into my computer and a Foo Fighters player thing just showed up, after the "do you agree .. blah blah blah" thing. And it let me copy it to windows media.

check on ePirate.com for help, though. i disabled something, that might help it.
Old June 16th 2005, 12:55 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Uh if you haven't noticed though, playing and copying the music through the
Foo Fighter auto-play function produces 128kbs audio.........which sucks complete....anus? I'm really pissed at the recording industries, and this whole deal has completely destroyed any of the amazingness that i was expecting out of this album. I was hoping for the experience i had with one by one, but this is just crap. Sorry Foo's you have lost my heart...........
Closed Thread