Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > Tour Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old November 18th 2011, 04:50 AM
I'd rather leave than suffer this

Default Re: Club Tour

Can we officially say Dave was bulls$@ting us this past week. Dude I want to call him out. Yes I know he will make fun of me like he has done 2 times at Black Cat & 9:30. How can 20,000 people you tell at each arena show can fit in a club gig? None. Fire Hazard and it would be Great White Fire Re-revisted. Dave Grohl High Hopes Tour with special guests Hot Buns & Fresh Pots coming to a club near you.
Old November 18th 2011, 02:52 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Did u ever think that maybe they would do more then 1 night?
Old November 18th 2011, 03:12 PM
I'll Stick Around

I, for one, am happy to have seen them play MSG. The energy was intense and I will not soon forget it. However, I would love to see them up close in a small venue in NYC. Roseland would be fun. They would have to do more than one night to make it doable for all involved, especially the fans. I have heard Hot Buns and Fresh Pots are not to be missed if they do open for them. Ha.
Would be fun to see them here on the East Coast like that. LA had fun at the beginning. Maybe.....in the future......hmmmm....let's hold on to that dream....you never know what they'll do next. Like we've seen before, we never know what Dave has brewing (I know, I know. - hey, it's 11AM here and I'm doing the best I can).
Old November 18th 2011, 03:28 PM

Even though Dave easily could've been blowing smoke, I guess I'll be the first to say it... if they fucking played in people's garages, like what, 8 of them? IN A GARAGE. 2 years ago if Dave said 'We're going to be going around the country and we'll play in your garage!' How much more less believable would that have been compared to what he's saying now? It's completely possible to do like 12, 15, or even 20 club shows in just the US. And everyone who keeps talking about them loosing money, the amount of crew you would need to do a club show would be astronomically smaller than the regular arena shows, and unlike playing in someone's garage, you get paid to play there to generate revenue for the club/bar. That being said, I am not saying it's going to happen, but who doesn't want it to? The haters are being just as unrealistic as the people with their head in the clouds over this.
Old November 18th 2011, 03:32 PM
Have you found your way around

Quote:
Originally Posted by foo play View Post
I, for one, am happy to have seen them play MSG. The energy was intense and I will not soon forget it. However, I would love to see them up close in a small venue in NYC. Roseland would be fun. They would have to do more than one night to make it doable for all involved, especially the fans. I have heard Hot Buns and Fresh Pots are not to be missed if they do open for them. Ha.
Would be fun to see them here on the East Coast like that. LA had fun at the beginning. Maybe.....in the future......hmmmm....let's hold on to that dream....you never know what they'll do next. Like we've seen before, we never know what Dave has brewing (I know, I know. - hey, it's 11AM here and I'm doing the best I can).
You never know what's up their sleeves- uh...

I mean who could have ever seen such a group of men as these Foos comin?

Dave alone is worth the price of admission,
but c'mon Taylor?!
and PAT!! (of Germs, Nirvana, Foos fame- that's 3 Epic bands- 3!)
Then the 'quiet' ones-
Chris and Nate,
may have some of the sneakiest best sense of humors goin'-
(seen the Foo videos?)

I love, love, love this group in all its glorious incarnations, incantations, persuasions and destinations!

Keep on Rockin' 'em Boys, All Night Long!
:>
Old November 18th 2011, 03:44 PM
The Sidekick

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTim102 View Post
Even though Dave easily could've been blowing smoke, I guess I'll be the first to say it... if they fucking played in people's garages, like what, 8 of them? IN A GARAGE. 2 years ago if Dave said 'We're going to be going around the country and we'll play in your garage!' How much more less believable would that have been compared to what he's saying now? It's completely possible to do like 12, 15, or even 20 club shows in just the US. And everyone who keeps talking about them loosing money, the amount of crew you would need to do a club show would be astronomically smaller than the regular arena shows, and unlike playing in someone's garage, you get paid to play there to generate revenue for the club/bar. That being said, I am not saying it's going to happen, but who doesn't want it to? The haters are being just as unrealistic as the people with their head in the clouds over this.
I don't see anyone 'hating' against this idea? The garage tour was paid for and sponsored by Blackberry, Foo Fighters didn't lose money doing that. They really would lose money touring the country playing clubs, they might need a few less people but they still need to be paid big band wages, it's not like a little band touring the country in a van with a few friends who take a few beers and gas money as payment.

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Old November 18th 2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studmore View Post
I don't see anyone 'hating' against this idea?
Let me clarify, when I say 'haters' I meant people that think it will not happen
Old November 18th 2011, 03:50 PM
The Sidekick

Quote:
Let me clarify, when I say 'haters' I meant people that think it will not happen
Well that's hardly hating, I'm sure people want it to happen but you have to be realistic.

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Old November 18th 2011, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Well that's hardly hating, I'm sure people want it to happen but you have to be realistic.
Don't you agree that the idea of a garage tour would have originally seemed unrealistic if he announced it at an arena show?
Old November 18th 2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:
I don't see anyone 'hating' against this idea? The garage tour was paid for and sponsored by Blackberry, Foo Fighters didn't lose money doing that. They really would lose money touring the country playing clubs, they might need a few less people but they still need to be paid big band wages, it's not like a little band touring the country in a van with a few friends who take a few beers and gas money as payment.
Although,
if any Big Rock Group could pull this off, you'd have to go with Dave & Co.
I mean, they're all vet road warriors,
and in a not so alternate reality- it wouldn't seem entirely implausible if they flew to a region, rented some nondescript van or limo on the down low- and cruised into some little downtown clubs for a glorious club run or two- buildin' the Legend just enough before they made a clean getaway.

And remember,
nearly to this day- at least one Huge Rock Legend- Chuck Berry-
has done exactly that- flown in- guitar in hand- driven to the venue-
got paid- played for the fans-
said his goodbyes-
and off the Wizard Flew

Cheers
Old November 18th 2011, 04:26 PM
The Boss

You guys realize even if they got down to a skeleton road crew, they still have to pay everyone right? That's how contracts work.

They couldn't just arbitrarily cut half their stuff or more and actually save money. Technically the per diem expenses for those people might go down, but it's not like they slash the payroll. Plus like Simon says, they can't just arbitarily cut the salaries or something.

To be honest, without having even said anything to Dave about it, I still do think it's just a gimmick. I didn't ask about it, though I did talk to Dave about Lupo's for a few minutes.

If there is another US leg (and that's a big IF), I'd put my money on something bigger than even this tour.
Old November 18th 2011, 04:31 PM

Talking Re: Club Tour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
You guys realize even if they got down to a skeleton road crew, they still have to pay everyone right? That's how contracts work.

They couldn't just arbitrarily cut half their stuff or more and actually save money. Technically the per diem expenses for those people might go down, but it's not like they slash the payroll. Plus like Simon says, they can't just arbitarily cut the salaries or something.

To be honest, without having even said anything to Dave about it, I still do think it's just a gimmick. I didn't ask about it, though I did talk to Dave about Lupo's for a few minutes.

If there is another US leg (and that's a big IF), I'd put my money on something bigger than even this tour.
I bet they could fill the Rose Bowl or Soldier Field Chicago!

Old November 18th 2011, 04:34 PM

Quote:

yeah I mean he blatantly said "works every time" after he played Wheels in NJ or MSG (can't remember which one). I'd love for it to be true but for them to do an entire club tour at this point? Can't see it happening. Though id be the first to eat my words if it did haha
Old November 18th 2011, 04:54 PM

Quote:
You guys realize even if they got down to a skeleton road crew, they still have to pay everyone right? That's how contracts work
I never said anything about not paying anyone. I didn't think I would have to mention it because it's pretty obvious you have to, but apparently I should have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfpandas View Post
I'd love for it to be true but for them to do an entire club tour at this point? Can't see it happening.
Dave never said anything about an ENTIRE club tour.
Old November 18th 2011, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Haha that's true. I'd just prefer not to get my hopes up at this point!
Old November 18th 2011, 06:28 PM
The Sidekick

Quote:
Don't you agree that the idea of a garage tour would have originally seemed unrealistic if he announced it at an arena show?
Would I have thought it true if Dave mentioned a garage tour before the Wasting Light recording sessions? Probably not. Afterwards, very much so. That's what that whole thing was, a promo tour circling around the fact they recorded it in a garage. If Dave said in a show that they were going to play in garages, sure i'd believe it.

Quote:
I never said anything about not paying anyone. I didn't think I would have to mention it because it's pretty obvious you have to, but apparently I should have.

Well you were claiming that was a reason they wouldn't lose money but it's not is it. And yes he didn't mention a full club tour but he covered half a dozen or more venues across the country. Even doing those clubs over a two/three week period would be a money loser, so why would they bother?

--
Old November 18th 2011, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Well you were claiming that was a reason they wouldn't lose money but it's not is it. And yes he didn't mention a full club tour but he covered half a dozen or more venues across the country. Even doing those clubs over a two/three week period would be a money loser, so why would they bother?
Them actually playing like a half a dozen club shows across the country is pretty ridiculous, I'll admit it. Having said that, they've reached a point in their career where they do what they want (most of the time). It's just as ridiculous as him lying about it. I'm not saying they'll do it, I just think it's a big coin toss. I just wouldn't put it past them.
Old November 18th 2011, 06:44 PM
The Cookie Is A Lie

Quote:
Them actually playing like a half a dozen club shows across the country is pretty ridiculous, I'll admit it. Having said that, they've reached a point in their career where they do what they want (most of the time). It's just as ridiculous as him lying about it. I'm not saying they'll do it, I just think it's a big coin toss. I just wouldn't put it past them.
Bands regularly lie when on stage. It's really not a big deal.

I'm sure they will play in small clubs again at some point. They have a history of doing it. That doesn't mean they will do a tour of it. If they really wanted to do that, they would have by now and, realistically, the next year is likely to be spent touring this album round the rest of the world.
Old November 18th 2011, 06:46 PM

I wonder how much they made doing the acoustic tour? I mean, they did only a handful of those shows, with a bigger band and smaller venues. So less seats to sell, more musicians to pay, and still crew to pay. It could be something along the lines of that. Just brainstorming
Old November 18th 2011, 06:52 PM
The Sidekick

Quote:
I wonder how much they made doing the acoustic tour? I mean, they did only a handful of those shows, with a bigger band and smaller venues. So less seats to sell, more musicians to pay, and still crew to pay. It could be something along the lines of that. Just brainstorming
That had a purpose though, they were promoting the acoustic side of the album, increasing sales of it greatly. A few club shows now would serve no purpose other than the show itself.

--