Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > Tour Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old July 3rd 2011, 04:41 PM
Have you found your way around

Default Re: Omg Milton Keynes Was So Awesome!

2nd July:

We got there around 11.45 and expected the doors to open at 2, they opened at half 1. didn't get an orange wristband before, but just strolled in and got one really easily. When we got our wristbands we went for beers and food and still got back to our spot no worries.

First band were around 4.30 which of course took a bit of will power but the sun was up and we were just soaking up the atmosphere really. Death Cab for Cutie were OK, Biffy, they were spot on in all honesty.

So on came Foos and was just amazing to see them. We were to the right of the stage about 5 rows back. Had an amazing view and they sounded excellent throughout. The new songs sounded great, they really did. Most of the songs sounded awesome, The Pretender, Best of You, they really had some bite about them which I feel they were possibly missing at Isle of Wight.

I don't mind if they play those songs, as well as Learn to Fly, Times Like These, I want to hear the hits. I'll reluctantly accept Breakout and Monkey Wrench. It's when they rolled into, I dunno, Long Road to Ruin and Generator, I was just like, please, change it up. Stacked Actors has been an identical re-run the 7 times i've seen them and I'd love them to drop that too, that's when I got the camera out and got my photos...

I was pleased to hear Let it Die, Wheels and Dear Rosemary, they were certainly not guaranteed and I was delighted to hear them. The stand out songs were Wheels, Times Like These (although we were watching Dave on a screen for those) and Cold Day with Roger was great.

Alice Cooper? I don't want to see Alice Cooper, especially when they rolled into their second one with him. I was just like for fuck sake. Because I SAW them change their guitars, and a guy from the side, at 10.38pm hold up 7 fingers to Dave, ie. 7 minutes left, so they swapped their guitars again (Drop D), so it's a fact they had one more song left, what this would have been, I don't know. When Alice was playing, I was thinking, give me Wattershed, give me Weenie Beenie, which I've seen once each. I was at least thinking give me 'Big Me', pleeease. So that was disappointing.

I know they will play their hits, just give us 2 surprises, just 2 please. Enough space opening the encore, it's not a lot to ask.

But I was very impressed, Dave's frontmanship was great and they sounded spot on. Pat and Nate seemed to be having a laugh and the crowd were good. I don't think that Dear Rosemary video was representative. Overall I was the very impressed, the Dave-crowd banter was amazing, as was the night camera back stage.

Overall 9/10. Nothing will compare to that 2nd night at Wembley, but I would put it second in the shows I've seen (see below) Despite an amazing setlist at the o2 in 2007. I love that band and just wish I was there today. The fireworks were an amazing touch and made me think DVD.

5 song changes and I would have been the happiest kid, Alice Cooper, don't call us, we'll call you. Rock legend, yer sure. Foo Fighter in your blood, ie. Roger Taylor, Jean Paul Jones, Jimmy Page, don't make me laugh!
Wembley Stadium, 6th June 2008
Wembley Stadium, 7th June 2008
Isle of Wight Festival, 11th June 2011
Milton Keynes Bowl, 2nd July 2011
Reading Festival, 26th August 2012
Glastonbury Festival, 26th June 2015
Milton Keynes Bowl, 6th September 2015
o2 Arena, 19th September 2017
London Stadium, 22nd June 2018
London Stadium, 23rd June 2018
Old July 3rd 2011, 05:30 PM
Visiting is pretty...

^ I thought the addition of Alice Cooper was great. The band clearly wanted the gig to be memorable. I hate this fan elitism with people saying I wish they'd played XYZ song, face it, out of 70,000 people at the bowl, it'd be lucky if even half of them knew anything other than the hits. This was the 3rd time I'd seen them and yes, stacked actors is predictable, as is monkey wrench, but they are still fucking great songs to hear live. I loved the whole night, the new songs sound great mixed in with the old.

Roll on an arena tour in the near future!
Old July 3rd 2011, 05:58 PM
Chrissyfly

damn them for not having a Foo trivia quiz at the gates so only the true fans could get in... all those other people that just sorta like them perhaps own only a few albums spoiled the entire night.

I got there early to get a pit wristband then went and got sunburnt on the grass for the first two bands. had wished i got more photos or videos, but was a little worried about my camera getting covered in flying 'liquid'
Old July 3rd 2011, 06:02 PM
I'd rather leave than suffer this

I appreciate that most people that have seen them before wanted different songs live, but for me it was the first time i've seen them so I have no complaints

Old July 3rd 2011, 06:17 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyBomb777 View Post
Yup, after sitting in it for 2 hours going nowhere, we saw a sign showing that they'd blocked off 2 freaking lanes just after the services. Geniuses. We gave up in the end and went into Burger King to wait it out with a bunch of other Foo Fighters all looking zombified, eating burgers at 2:30 am
How utterly stupid, glad we got off and took the scenic route!
Old July 3rd 2011, 06:21 PM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by F'jo View Post
Thanks for posting! That's what I was looking for.
Old July 3rd 2011, 06:49 PM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richy View Post
I appreciate that most people that have seen them before wanted different songs live, but for me it was the first time i've seen them so I have no complaints
Same here, I thought the setlist was fine
Old July 3rd 2011, 06:58 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Smile Re: Omg Milton Keynes Was So Awesome!

Ok my opinion compared to many is going to be coloured because compared to most of you this has been the first chance I have had to see them. Needless to say I thought it was absolutely awesome. The people I went with have seen them many times and said it too ranked highly as a fantastic gig.

As for smaller venues, yes this would be lovely but the thing with that is money. Smaller gigs = less money for all concerned with the band despite its ability to make fans happier because they get to see them. Also means more work and more tour dates for band and less time with their families.

The travel home was horrendous. We got back to Chelmsford finally at 4.30am.

Personally I would love to see them play Knebworth in their own right. All the greats have played there and I think its time. Smaller gigs rock of course but to give them a crowd that would surpass Wembley in size I think would be immense.

UK fans know how to rock a band it would be great to see that at a place as historic as Knebworth where giants such as Queen have killed it big style!

just my twopenneth worth, don't kill me!
Old July 3rd 2011, 07:11 PM
Fooper!

No complaints for the setlist from me really, we would all still be there from yesterday if i had the setlist i would want.You can't please everyone at the same time can you?

Although i didn't see cameras filming, i could of missed them? Was there any filming for a dvd or perhaps radio will broadcast the show(s) like Wembley?
O2 Arena,London,2017
Nos Alive Festival,Lisbon,2017
Accor Arena,Paris,France,2017
Cheese & Grain,Frome,2017
Krakow Tauron Arena,2015
Milton Keynes National Bowl,2015
Lancashire CCC Ground,2015
Invictus Closing Concert,2014
Sound City Players, London,2013
Leeds Fest,2012
Milton Keynes,2011
Wembley Stadium,2008
Manchester City Stadium,2008
Old July 3rd 2011, 07:12 PM
Visiting is pretty...

DP - sorry.

Last edited by Sunburst : July 3rd 2011 at 07:16 PM.
Old July 3rd 2011, 07:15 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Thought I'd leave a bit of a review:

Turned up about 1, and got front row with a great view of the main stage, couldn't really see the runway too well though. Thought the support groups were all pretty decent.
Foo Fighters were amazing as always, although the set list wasn't my favourite. Having already seen them three times, I've heard all the singles live before, so it would have been nice to see some variation. But I guess there were a lot of people going for the first time who wanted to see all the singles.
There was definitely a lack of songs from their earlier albums, specifically the first. And whilst the two songs with Alice Cooper were enjoyable, I would have much preferred to hear some earlier songs. I'm still waiting desperately to see Hey Johnny Park live.
I thought Young Man Blues was a nice addition, I love that song, but it seemed to be an unpopular opinion seeing as literally no one else around me knew any of the words, and were just complaining that they hadn't heard Everlong yet.
As usual, Dave had a great stage presence and lots of energy. Also, I'm definitely thinking there'll be a DVD or recording of some kind, there were more camera's than usual. It was a great gig, but I'm still holding out hope for a (very unlikely) 'no singles' tour.
Old July 3rd 2011, 07:16 PM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilshack View Post
No complaints for the setlist from me really, we would all still be there from yesterday if i had the setlist i would want.You can't please everyone at the same time can you?

Although i didn't see cameras filming, i could of missed them? Was there any filming for a dvd or perhaps radio will broadcast the show(s) like Wembley?
There was a film camera on one of the pylons near me, sort of middle rear of the main area.
Old July 3rd 2011, 07:23 PM
Fooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendylou View Post
There was a film camera on one of the pylons near me, sort of middle rear of the main area.
Ooh, wonder if it was filming the show or just putting the video on screens?
O2 Arena,London,2017
Krakow Tauron Arena,2015
Leeds Fest,2012
Milton Keynes,2011
Wembley Stadium,2008
Old July 3rd 2011, 07:30 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilshack View Post

Yep there were a few cameras at the front filming the band/crowd
Old July 3rd 2011, 07:32 PM
Fooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight.x3 View Post
Yep there were a few cameras at the front filming the band/crowd
Good, i know there are a lot of people who don't want a MK dvd, but i'd think it would be great.
O2 Arena,London,2017
Krakow Tauron Arena,2015
Leeds Fest,2012
Milton Keynes,2011
Wembley Stadium,2008
Old July 3rd 2011, 07:55 PM
Yawn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB Cooper View Post
Dave please go back to smaller venues and lose these huge areas like MK and wembley
You obviously haven't been paying attention. They probably played 7.8 shows in small clubs in the states sice the album dropped.
my friend told me i should hve 120 babies tonight and i was like no &*ckiing way man that would ruin ky vagina and it would turn into like a wizard sleeve and flap at every slifght breeze of and babies are way gross
Old July 3rd 2011, 07:57 PM
Fooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoxy View Post
You obviously haven't been paying attention. They probably played 7.8 shows in small clubs in the states sice the album dropped.
Plus there is a good chance of some arena shows in the uk next year apparently (fingers crossed!)
O2 Arena,London,2017
Krakow Tauron Arena,2015
Leeds Fest,2012
Milton Keynes,2011
Wembley Stadium,2008
Old July 3rd 2011, 08:04 PM
I'd rather leave than suffer this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsweeting View Post
I thought the addition of Alice Cooper was great.
^^^ This

Having Alice Cooper appear was for me amazing but I knew he was coming from early in the set when they played a 30 second teaser of 'School's Out), plus the fact I knew he was in the UK (Top Gear last week)

For me it was a great gig, Anji and I totally loved every moment despite our feet and legs killing us by the end of the night after 9 hours stood up. We were on the left side of the runway which, when looking over at the other side, we were far more energetic and animated our side.

I disagree with the guy from Portsmouth above, Stacked Actors WAS different from previous live versions.

I enjoyed the huge set list and appreciated that there was far less chat from Dave than usual and more songs coming at a rapid pace.

Nice to see Taylor take a walk up the runway during 'Cold Day' as that's now the closest I've ever been to him.

Poor show by the stewards for not being present at the car park at the end end of the night to help out with leaving the car park and thank you to Garmin for making a quality sat nav with traffic avoidance for ably routing us round the shit on the M1 and getting us back to the south coast in just over two hours.

A solid 9/10 from me. I would have gone for 10 as I felt in some ways it was better than both Wembley nights but I'm going to knock off one point for Dave pretty much copying the backstage encore teasing with a camera in night vision mode he did at the OČ in '07
Milton Keynes - 2nd July 11
Best International album and International group Brit Award winners 2008
Now officially as good as Culture Club, MC Hammer and Huey Lewis
Click here-->Mr Grohl takes the stage<--Click here

Last edited by Foo'ed : July 3rd 2011 at 08:12 PM.
Old July 3rd 2011, 08:24 PM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo'ed View Post
Poor show by the stewards for not being present at the car park at the end end of the night to help out with leaving the car park and thank you to Garmin for making a quality sat nav with traffic avoidance for ably routing us round the shit on the M1 and getting us back to the south coast in just over two hours.
We bought a parking space, through stadium car parks, at the local college which was a ten min walk to the Bowl. There was no-one there when we turned up, which was about 10am, and when we came back to get out there were still no signs of any stewards/attendents.

We were just caught up in a bit of traffic, getting out of Milton Keynes for about half an hour, but then managed to make it back down through Buckinghamshire, towards Oxford, then down the A34 to the South Coast. Got home in under two hours. Absolutely Knackered though!

I think all of that though was totally worth it! I'd so do it all again. I'm betting they do Knebworth next time.
Old July 3rd 2011, 08:28 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Me and my friend had a fantastic time ,when Roger Taylor came out she was ecstatic as being a fan of queen and not getting the chance of seeing them live so to her this was the next best thing.Biffy did an awesome slot surprised to hear the new track.I haven't seen the Foos as many times as most of you but I had a fantastic time,I would of loved to of heard a couple of more tracks from WL ,I don't know all the words to all the songs but belting out the ones I did know.Where I was the crowd was quite static one group were taking pictures of each other all the time .Even with best of you ,monkey wrench,and all my life ,people were still lifeless.my mate and I are not as young as many if the people around us, but during all my life we were both jumping around like loons paying for it now and like many others getting lost when coming out of the bowl everywhere looked the same but loved the whole day ,absolutely fantastic