Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion > Foo Fighters Collections and Recordings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old October 14th 2011, 09:53 AM
Looking for a sign of life

Default Re: Vinyl Reissues pre-order?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FooZealand View Post
Yes... and yes. These aren't pissing about special sized releases - they are all 12" two disc 120 gram vinyl except the first (don't know why for sure but that's one record only - maybe just due to length or the fidelity of the remaining source being lower than the later archive material).
Great! Thanks for your help FooZealand. Now I know I have to buy Skin & Bones AND One By One
Old October 14th 2011, 10:34 AM
I'll Stick Around

Thats so cool , I just preordered the first 4 records.

2001 BIZARRE Festival, Weeze, Germany
2005 HIGHFIELD Festival, Erfurt, Germany
2011 GLORIA, Cologne, Germany
Old October 17th 2011, 04:12 AM
The Sidekick

Great to see this is FINALLY happening, shame they're not audiophile releases but better than nothing. They're listed on Amazon.co.uk but as 'currently unavailable' so not sure if that will change, otherwise i'll order them all from .com. Be nice if there is an EU release though, will mean no import charges either.

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.

Last edited by Simon : October 17th 2011 at 04:18 AM.
Old October 17th 2011, 06:42 AM
Easy For YOU To Say

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studmore View Post
Great to see this is FINALLY happening, shame they're not audiophile releases but better than nothing. They're listed on Amazon.co.uk but as 'currently unavailable' so not sure if that will change, otherwise i'll order them all from .com. Be nice if there is an EU release though, will mean no import charges either.
Amazon Germany has them all listed for purchase. Now it *could* be they are importing the US releases, but since 99% of EU vinyl is pressed in Germany now anyway (including most of the bootlegs funnily enough) I'd be quite surprised. If there ever was an EU release it would almost certainly originate from Germany - just as WL did. So I'm picking the AM UK listings are a placeholder for these records. The German price is very high though so I can't be certain just yet they aren't up-priced USA resales.

I was there
Old October 17th 2011, 07:29 AM
The Sidekick

Yeah pretty much all European stuff is done in Germany now, including DVDs and Blu Ray. The fact they aren't listed as import like they usually are on Amazon if that is the case leads me to believe they will be EU versions. Only time will tell of course.

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Old October 18th 2011, 08:55 AM
I'd rather leave than suffer this

Quote:
Amazon Germany has them all listed for purchase. Now it *could* be they are importing the US releases, but since 99% of EU vinyl is pressed in Germany now anyway (including most of the bootlegs funnily enough) I'd be quite surprised. If there ever was an EU release it would almost certainly originate from Germany - just as WL did. So I'm picking the AM UK listings are a placeholder for these records. The German price is very high though so I can't be certain just yet they aren't up-priced USA resales.
I think it will be an usa release only.
legacy records is making the vinyl and thats an usa company. All the major records sellers in The Netherlands say it;s in import from usa.

not all vinyl is pressed in germany a big part is made by CZ in Czech http://www.gzcd.cz/vinyl-27/about-gz-458/ ( not that good quality) and many released are from Records Industry in The Netherlands (pretty good quality) http://www.recordindustry.com/index.php
Old October 19th 2011, 07:18 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
Yes... and yes. These aren't pissing about special sized releases - they are all 12" two disc 120 gram vinyl except the first (don't know why for sure but that's one record only - maybe just due to length or the fidelity of the remaining source being lower than the later archive material).
that's a shame..why not go with the 180/200gm discs...nice to have the vinyl re-issued by why not take that extra step
Old October 19th 2011, 07:36 AM
Have you found your way around

True. The recent Ten/VS/Vitalogy reissues are Legacy records and those you find here were made in EU.
Old October 19th 2011, 08:28 AM

Let's hope but i don;t think so.
Old October 19th 2011, 09:01 AM
Easy For YOU To Say

Quote:
Originally Posted by longever View Post
I think it will be an usa release only.
legacy records is making the vinyl and thats an usa company. All the major records sellers in The Netherlands say it;s in import from usa.

not all vinyl is pressed in germany a big part is made by CZ in Czech http://www.gzcd.cz/vinyl-27/about-gz-458/ ( not that good quality) and many released are from Records Industry in The Netherlands (pretty good quality) http://www.recordindustry.com/index.php
I should clarify my post by adding that 99% of the vinyl that ends up being EU wide releases (goes to the UK in big numbers etc for std retail) is made in Germany. That's what I've been told. But for sure vinyl is still pressed in many parts of the EU, Poland does too from what I can tell. But it's great to get all this info and while I get lots of information - it doesn't necessarily mean I'm an expert - or right lol

I was there
Old October 19th 2011, 09:25 AM

hahah oke thats good.
I just want to let you know there are more plants
Old October 19th 2011, 09:30 AM
The Sidekick

Quote:
Let's hope but i don;t think so.
Why not? This is basically still being pressed by Sony, just under an archive division. They will have done their research and know their is a worldwide market.

--
Old October 19th 2011, 09:38 AM

Because all the recordsstore list it as in usa import.
If it was pressed in the EU there must be some news about it.
All i can see by google the EAN codes of the vinyl it;s a USA release.
Thats why i think it;s only pressed in the USA maybe i;m wrong but time will tell.
Old October 19th 2011, 10:04 AM
Easy For YOU To Say

Quote:
Because all the recordsstore list it as in usa import.
That's pretty much proof to me, when you add it to the VERY high price on AM.GE.

I think all the comments about an EU set being highly possible are very fair, but it does look like from the start it could well be a US pressing being resold. Let's just say I'm certainly only ordering the AM.US vinyl right now. Getting that to anywhere in the world is cheaper than any other listing I've seen once postage is added.

And as you say we will see - still a month away yet.

Also for those concerned, don't let the vinyl weight fool you. Some of the best sounding records I own are on lighter weight vinyl. 120g is plenty fine if it is pressed well. There are a huge number of 180g pressings that sound awful even those from excellent source material that should have been impressive. Once the master is cut its garbage in garbage out - or not, as the case may be. Then it's down to your stylus and how you have looked after it

I was there
Old October 19th 2011, 11:16 AM
The Sidekick

Indeed it could well be that only the US pressing is being listed/released yet so that is what people have for pre-order but they may be replaced by EU versions before the sale date.

It would just seem odd to me for a Vinyl Reissue from Sony to be limited to the US, especially when they're not being marketed as a limited edition collector's editions or anything.

But yes, I guess only time will tell. I certainly hope they're EU, because the costs including import fees will be quite large. Not as much as the originals of course, but still more than I'd like to pay.

--
Old October 19th 2011, 01:13 PM

Evil Re: Vinyl Reissues pre-order?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studmore View Post
Indeed it could well be that only the US pressing is being listed/released yet so that is what people have for pre-order but they may be replaced by EU versions before the sale date.

It would just seem odd to me for a Vinyl Reissue from Sony to be limited to the US, especially when they're not being marketed as a limited edition collector's editions or anything.

But yes, I guess only time will tell. I certainly hope they're EU, because the costs including import fees will be quite large. Not as much as the originals of course, but still more than I'd like to pay.
I's not limited to the usa it sells around the world.

Never had any problems with import fees from the usa. and the price in dollars is really cheap from amazon.
cheaper then many eu releases.
Old October 19th 2011, 01:41 PM
The Sidekick

Quote:
I's not limited to the usa it sells around the world.

Never had any problems with import fees from the usa. and the price in dollars is really cheap from amazon.
cheaper then many eu releases.
Well you know what I meant.

It may be different for you but in the UK anything imported from outside the EU with a value above £15 are liable to import VAT and customs duty, plus fees from the post office.

From what I can work out it's $144.89 for all 6 LPs shipped to me via the slowest method, about £91. 20% VAT is £18.20 & £8 handling fee brings the total cost to £117.20, which is just under £20 per LP.

I'm pretty sure EU releases would be cheaper than that and would also arrive very quickly, using that slowest shipping method Amazon gives an estimated delivery of Dec. 19, 2011 - Jan. 9, 2012.

--
Old October 19th 2011, 09:50 PM

I was wondering. Recordstore Day has been updating their facebook with something about releasing a list of releases for Black Friday and since these records are going to be released around or near Black Friday if this is going to be a part of Recordstore Days initiative?
Stockholm Stadion, Stockholm 062211

Ullevi, Gothenburg 061215

Old November 7th 2011, 11:19 PM
The Sidekick

These have hit a really nice price on Amazon.com now, just $17.99 for the five 2LPs and $12.99 for S/T. Kinda makes you wonder about the quality of the pressings though.

It seems you were right about them being US only as well, couple of weeks before release and still not available on UK Amazon or other sites and still Ä36 on Amazon DE.

Still, at least they're not 'mega rare limited edition pressings' so they should all be available for a while yet.

--
Old November 8th 2011, 11:01 AM

I pre-ordered them from amazon.com...super cheap! Bit worried about how much I'll have to pay in taxes for these though.