Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion > Foo Fighters Collections and Recordings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old August 12th 2014, 12:24 PM
Easy For YOU To Say

Default Sonic Highways Q&A - All Facts, Comments, Burning Questions & Answers

Firstly YES I know there is a releases thread. That should be used for information about actual releases (links, info etc). Yes some of my first post here duplicates that area.

My intent here is to start a thread to discuss questions about the album, releases, series (as it airs / after it airs), background history on the entire project as it comes to light, and give a specific place for any questions or comments to be posted where they don't have to be release specific. I had a number of things to say after today's (here in NZ) release announcement; questions, things I'd noted and general comments. So I'm putting them here as this FF album/series is a little different to anything that's gone before. Nothing is off limits, it just has to be specific to Sonic Highways album or series.

If you have (or find) answers / or questions, or just have comments in general to make - post them here.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

1) UK store vs US store pricing - why so much higher in the UK - does it avoid customs charges?

2) If you look at the T-Shirt image on the store close up, it has strands through the "8", like the centre building in the cover. But there are two sets of six - why not two sets of four?

3) The "8" cover is called "Forever" on the store. Simon, myself and others were totally sure the album was going to be called "8" or "Infinity". "Forever" would have also fit. It's come out as "Sonic Highways". Yet there seems to be (at least currently) no FF branding nor wording on any covers. So was it a last minute name change? Or was that always going to be the name? Is that a let down or a good idea? It seems for sure there was real thought that went into the Infinity /Forever idea, or it wouldn't be getting used on the store (or in the sideways "8") at all.

4) Store image for the Mega set has this name:
FOO_FOOPER_BUNDLE_800X800.png
Add one new word to your dictionary - That's just FOOPER!

5) Notice there is absolutely NO INCLUSION OF ANY VIDEO CONTENT in ANY of the band packages, yet it (now) shares the name with the series. So just how much has HBO paid and what rights licensing deal they have bought? Many were hoping for special edition store sets / bundles that included the series or at least some of the video content (maybe even unaired), especially since the show will be half over at release day on 10th November. But there is nothing included in the store preorder sets. Is that a bummer for you or not? I find it hard not to be a bit disappointed, especially now it's all tied together with the same name.

6) Very cool idea to make the separate vinyl covers. Us collectors get something to collect, which is exactly what we have PLEADED for here for years. As one of the big vinyl collectors I'm stoked. But why isn't there a box set that has the same box with the full cover on it, and all nine records inside? I hate to say it but that's maddening

7) Nothing numbered so will we ever have any real way (short of an official announcement) to know how limited the box sets ever were for value purposes?

8) Preorders are going through a different "store" specifically for Sonic Highways, they don't show up in your new account (if you have created one). This is clearly deliberate so don't worry. It is a bit annoying though because you cant track anything in your account. Note you will see this in the order confirmation emails if you have already ordered from the new store, the sender is "Foo Fighters Store" on store merch, but "Sonic Highways" on the pre-orders.

9) We know from Dave they toyed with the idea of going international to record stuff. Would be really interesting to know at what point after the "big picture" was decided (that different cities would be used as recording locations) did they settle on "8 cities" because it was the eighth album, and when the whole "8" theme got tied together so tightly with the covers, artwork, infinity theme, "In The End We All Come From What's Come Before" theme. And who added what parts to it overall - ie was it all out of Dave's head or was it a group contribution of ideas? There are a lot of different parts, I hope we get the full story disclosed in due course etc. (Maybe in the series?)

10) Store says re vinyl: "180 Gram Vinyl in a gatefold sleeve - 9 different covers to chose from. Vinyl pressed by Pallas. LIMITED EDITION INDIVIDUAL COVERS. FIRST RUN ONLY. OFFICIAL FOO FIGHTERS STORE IS THE ONLY PLACE YOU CAN CHOOSE YOUR COVER."

10A) How big is the first run, and is it pre set or will it vary based on orders?
10B) How is that first run split - will it be an equal number of all nine covers or could there be more of some than others, and will we ever know?
10C) Can we get any confirmation of whether the above statement means the store is the only place that will sell all nine covers, or JUST that the store is the only ONLINE place where you will be able to definitively CHOOSE what cover you get when you place an order?
10D) Will there be a vinyl release with the full cover? (I assumed based on the wording when I ordered that would be the version sold everywhere ELSE except for store purchases, but now I'm much less sure).
10E) Will there be EU AND US pressings, and will there be nine (or ten with a full cover) versions of BOTH? (ie maybe 20 different album variants).

Lastly just a comment I had to add after today:

11) Any man who releases a promo video for his band's new album by showing himself being tattooed with the album artwork (plus such an incredibly great matching set or words) into his body for life is the kind of man that makes 1 through 9 totally unimportant. I watched this 14 second video today at least 20 times (with no sound because I'm on a promise to hear NOTHING until vinyl on turntable). After 20 plus years (and being just a few months older) I like to think I know this man, that I'm right there with this guy and what it all means to him and to me. But somehow today I found a whole new kind of love and respect. That video, and the look in his eyes at the end... right there that says more than any words ever could about the ride we're all on.

I was there
Old August 12th 2014, 07:42 PM
I'd rather leave than suffer this

Default Re: Sonic Highways Q&A - All Facts, Comments, Burning Questions & Answers

Wow that was an epic post if ever there was one.
Most of your questions are ones I've been thinking of too.

Starting with your last point, seeing the video of him getting the tattoo to me just heightens my expectations for an amazing album. It is obviously something he is already incredibly proud of, even before he's had any feedback from fans/media etc. To him it doesn't matter how popular it is, how many copies they sell, it's about the music and the journey and he clearly loves the band just as much today as he did 20 years ago. My respect for the man never stops growing.

1. I think the pricing differences will be around the cost of them importing it into the uk, as well as the fact that that's pretty much the going rate for new release vinyl over here these days. It does mean if you are just buy one copy it will be cheaper because much lower postage and no risk of customs, but if you go to buy all of them it works out marginally more expensive ordering from the US but obviously that is the only way to pick your covers.

5) it is somewhat disappointing that there is no video content but I do think this will be around the fact that the series won't have finished by album release. I would imagine after the series has finished there will be a big push on a DVD release and it may even be treated as a second release of the album, maybe with a deluxe cd or something

6) would have loved a boxes collection of all 9 covers and that would probably have meant I bought it immediately rather than being so undecided

7) I'm still hoping the guy I emailed at the store will get an answer as to how limited it is, but at the moment he said there has been no indication

10D) from another website I buy off, it looks as though they have been told to expect different covers which they will sell randomly. No confirmation as to whether each store will get all covers or whether one store will get all of one cover, the next store will get all of another etc

10E) I am sincerely hoping (for sake of my bank balance) that it is just one pressing worldwide. Would be good to know soon, if it's EU and US pressings I'll bow out now and admit I'll never have the full set. 500+ on one album release is just something I can't justify
O2 Arena 17.11.07
Wembley Stadium 06.06.08
Wembley Stadium 07.06.08
Wembley Arena 25.02.11
Dingwalls 26.02.11
Milton Keynes 02.07.11
Milton Keynes 03.07.11
Reading Festival 26.08.12
Islington Assembly Hall 12.09.14
Queen Elizabeth Park 14.09.14

Some Videos

The Holy Shits Islington pics
Some Pictures
Old August 12th 2014, 09:50 PM
I'll Stick Around

Default Re: Sonic Highways Q&A - All Facts, Comments, Burning Questions & Answers

Here is my moan about the cost of the Mega Bundle:

Do not get me wrong this is a cool collectable, but $149.00!!! and then some expensive shipping!

LP, T-shirt and puzzle $59.99, Flag worth about $16.00, CD $11.99 Total - $86.99. That leaves one bloody expensive box to hold it all, which probably cost about $5 to make. Someone is making money.

However, I know it is limited and they will sell for much more in the future possibly - more than likely a good investment.

Maybe I am not in the die hard fan category, it just does not seem reasonably priced!!!! I would like to have it though

P.S all prices approx. Do not get hung up on the exact maths.
Old August 13th 2014, 05:53 AM
Insert Wookie noise here..

1) Probably, but then, why only the UK, and no choice of cover for the vinyl. Weird choice I say. Still bummed about the shipping and mostly the import charges we are all gonna get. That’s some serious money!

2) You got me there. No clue.

3) Not a letdown for me at all, however I would have love dit if the album would be called 8, and be artworked as the sideways 8.

4) FOOPER…….He said FOOPER :-)

5) I really agree with you on this one. Serious bummer. I was really expecting the video content to be a part of some of the bundles. I mean, it’s an integrated part of the whole Sonic Highways experience. I do think it will be released as some bundle in the future, so that HBO can hold the rights fors ome time. More to spend for us collectors I guess.

6) It is….it seriously is….no further comment

7) Only the future will tell. I have no clue about the amount of boxes they will make.

9) I’m guessing the series, or extras on the DVD release, will give us a lot of answers.

10E) I seriously hope not!!

11) Amen brother!

(part of my) Record Collection

http://www.discogs.com/user/boyschouten/collection

Last edited by no code : August 13th 2014 at 05:54 AM. Reason: edit
Old August 13th 2014, 06:30 AM
Fooper!

1) We live in rip off Britain!

3) The artwork for the album may not be final, i.e there could be a discreet FF logo & sonic highways on the cover added somewhere? Or a clear slip on case with logo & album title on it?(At least for the cd version!)

4) FOOPER! My new favourite word!

5) Yes, a little disappointing. Unless there is something that hasn't been announced of finalised? First music video as it's released after the tv programme airs perhaps?

6) Would of liked different cd covers since I don't have a turntable.

7) Naughty not saying how many boxes are being made from the start. Their idea of limited could be 20,000 for all we know.

8) I emailed the store as to my order wasn't showing in my store account, he said I am showing a pending order and will be emailed upon dispatch with a tracking number.
O2 Arena,London,2017
Nos Alive Festival,Lisbon,2017
Accor Arena,Paris,France,2017
Cheese & Grain,Frome,2017
Krakow Tauron Arena,2015
Milton Keynes National Bowl,2015
Milton Keynes National Bowl,2015
Lancashire CCC Ground,2015
Invictus Closing Concert,2014
Sound City Players, London,2013
Leeds Fest,2012
Milton Keynes,2011
Wembley Stadium,2008
Manchester City Stadium,2008
Old August 13th 2014, 11:44 AM
The Sidekick

Quote:
1) UK store vs US store pricing - why so much higher in the UK - does it avoid customs charges?
Yes, UK store will be shipped from within the EU so already has the 20% VAT included.

Quote:
2) If you look at the T-Shirt image on the store close up, it has strands through the "8", like the centre building in the cover. But there are two sets of six - why not two sets of four?
There are five looking at my version of the logo, I don't think they went THAT deep on the 8 thing.

Quote:
3) The "8" cover is called "Forever" on the store. Simon, myself and others were totally sure the album was going to be called "8" or "Infinity". "Forever" would have also fit. It's come out as "Sonic Highways". Yet there seems to be (at least currently) no FF branding nor wording on any covers. So was it a last minute name change? Or was that always going to be the name? Is that a let down or a good idea? It seems for sure there was real thought that went into the Infinity /Forever idea, or it wouldn't be getting used on the store (or in the sideways "8") at all.
I think we and everyone else were just sold a dummy with the 8 stuff. You wouldn't make that drastic change last minute for various reasons. The branding point is interesting, it'd be pretty brave to try and sell an album with no logo for the band, or any logo at all. It's been done before, but surely risky. Although saying that with physical in-store sales ever dwindling and online purchases rising it may not matter.

Quote:
5) Notice there is absolutely NO INCLUSION OF ANY VIDEO CONTENT in ANY of the band packages, yet it (now) shares the name with the series. So just how much has HBO paid and what rights licensing deal they have bought? Many were hoping for special edition store sets / bundles that included the series or at least some of the video content (maybe even unaired), especially since the show will be half over at release day on 10th November. But there is nothing included in the store preorder sets. Is that a bummer for you or not? I find it hard not to be a bit disappointed, especially now it's all tied together with the same name.
I would assume the series will come as a separate release next year, after the full airing. It would be unusual to include before it was all aired IMO. Who knows though, maybe the CD will be enhanced or clips will be included some other way.

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Old August 14th 2014, 01:15 AM
Easy For YOU To Say

Definitely count six strands per "bundle"... not that it really should matters, it just irritates me.I guess if it really HAS been called "8 / eight" I'd have had a real right lol

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/060...g?v=1407527364

I was there
Old August 14th 2014, 01:26 AM
Easy For YOU To Say

OK so still can't really work out what's happening with the vinyl releases yet, other than the nine covers are not unique to the store.

http://www.amazon.com/Sonic-Highways.../dp/B00MJLOAYU
http://www.amazon.com/Sonic-Highways.../dp/B00MJLOAYU
http://www.amazon.de/Sonic-Highways-.../dp/B00MN9DIC8

These are the three go to sites. The ASIn number is the all important thing. When you see the same number it will be the SAME item. When it's different it is a different item in some way. That's how Amazon have always worked.

So B00MJLOAYU is shared by the UK and US stores. Germany has a different B00MN9DIC8 number. Usually you would see the UK and DE stores selling the same item.

So this does (at least initially) look like the US are pressing for the UK store and Germany are pressing for the rest of the EU... if that's true they are pressing nine more bloody records for us to collect with no way to specifically order them

I was there
Old August 14th 2014, 09:17 AM
Easy For YOU To Say

Thanks for everyone's comments - have read them all. Glad I'm not alone on some of my thinking anyway. I guess on the rest we will see in due course.

I was there
Old August 14th 2014, 09:23 AM
Off my chops on RNR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FooZealand View Post

6) Very cool idea to make the separate vinyl covers. Us collectors get something to collect, which is exactly what we have PLEADED for here for years. As one of the big vinyl collectors I'm stoked. But why isn't there a box set that has the same box with the full cover on it, and all nine records inside? I hate to say it but that's maddening
I bought the Mega bundle + 8 LPs.....throw out the puzzle, flag and shirt etc and all 9 LP's fit in the unique Sonic Highways wooden box...voila box set!
It'll do me for the money anyway

'I have a choice between the bat or the belt each time I hear about the hand you've been dealt'

Jan 31st 2003, Big Day Out, Adelaide (QOTSA too)
Dec 6th 2005, Rod Laver Arena, Melbourne
April 26th 2008, Rod Laver Arena, Melbourne
Dec 5th 2011, Adelaide Oval, Adelaide
Feb 28th 2015, Etihad Stadium Docklands, Melbourne
Mar 4th 2015, Coopers Stadium, Adelaide
Jan 23rd 2018, Coopers Stadium, Adelaide
Old August 14th 2014, 10:03 AM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxb View Post
I bought the Mega bundle + 8 LPs.....throw out the puzzle, flag and shirt etc and all 9 LP's fit in the unique Sonic Highways wooden box...voila box set!
It'll do me for the money anyway
I was thinking that, well said
Old August 14th 2014, 10:23 AM
Easy For YOU To Say

Me too - I was going to say it almost looks like it was deliberately designed with the right dimensions to hold all nine albums. Given that there will be a lot more of them available (the boxes) than the WL sets, I will probably get a second one so I have a set that is as released and another that is "complete". I um, only need the box to have two full sets.

What I am totally sure of is that as a collectable in the future, one LP will be worth 50-67% of what each LP sold as part of a full set of all nine will cost. If you go trying to buy them on EB in 5 years time you can expect a full sealed set of nine in mint condition will be worth $500+, with individual LPs around the $35 mark.

I was there
Old August 14th 2014, 10:27 AM
Off my chops on RNR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by foo-collector View Post
I was thinking that, well said
Adding to the 'uniqueness' and rarity of the 'box set' depends on the Mega bundle cover one chooses. It would cost in Aussie $$$ to buy the 9 different cities mega bundles + 8x9 LP's a grand total of $4482 shipping inclusive .....tempting.......but no

'I have a choice between the bat or the belt each time I hear about the hand you've been dealt'

Old August 14th 2014, 11:06 AM
The Sidekick

Box is just a mock up at the moment though remember, you can clearly see the latch is photoshopped on. I mean it will probably look something like that but may not be exact.

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Old August 15th 2014, 04:11 AM
Easy For YOU To Say

Quote:
Adding to the 'uniqueness' and rarity of the 'box set' depends on the Mega bundle cover one chooses. It would cost in Aussie $$$ to buy the 9 different cities mega bundles + 8x9 LP's a grand total of $4482 shipping inclusive .....tempting.......but no
Ain't gonna be goin there The Forever cover is obviously the one most people will get simply because you can only choose ONE and it's the centre and it's the 8 etc etc. But really unless the box is sealed, or the contents are all somehow sealed together, or the band have secretly signed your LP with no advance warning... then you would be able to swap the LP for whatever copy you wanted to part with and it would still be a legit set.

As Simon says the box is a mock up so it will be just our luck if it arrived and you can only close the lid if you take one of the LP's out

I was there
Old August 15th 2014, 07:54 AM
Fooper!

Hmv do vinyl so I may pick up a Seattle cover if it's reasonably priced.Getting the other half to go for the cd on the day of release as I'll still be at work when the shop is shutting.Not risking an Amazon cock up with it arriving on Tuesday like the sound city stuff did.It will kill me not being able to listen to it until I get home,reading how great it is! Unless I buy the digital version on the Google play store in the morning....
Old August 15th 2014, 08:25 AM
Off my chops on RNR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FooZealand View Post
As Simon says the box is a mock up so it will be just our luck if it arrived and you can only close the lid if you take one of the LP's out
Seriously , the store quotes the Mega bundle wooden box dimensions as 14"x14"x6". Thus, it will loosely fit 9 gate-fold 180gm LP's with ample room to spare....perhaps leaving room for a DVD, other SH promo goodies or even some post album SH vinyl 7" singles

Old August 15th 2014, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Seriously , the store quotes the Mega bundle wooden box dimensions as 14"x14"x6". Thus, it will loosely fit 9 gate-fold 180gm LP's with ample room to spare....perhaps leaving room for a DVD, other SH promo goodies or even some post album SH vinyl 7" singles
wouldn't some physical singles releases be an absolute dream!
O2 Arena 17.11.07
Wembley Stadium 06.06.08
Wembley Stadium 07.06.08
Wembley Arena 25.02.11
Dingwalls 26.02.11
Milton Keynes 02.07.11
Milton Keynes 03.07.11

Some Videos

Some Pictures
Old August 15th 2014, 01:16 PM
Fooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dq88 View Post
wouldn't some physical singles releases be an absolute dream!
Really wish they would do cd singles again,even though if they were just available on the store.
Old August 15th 2014, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilshack View Post
Really wish they would do cd singles again,even though if they were just available on the store.
I know, me too
Although not sure I'd fancy paying $60 shipping for a CD single!
O2 Arena 17.11.07
Wembley Stadium 06.06.08
Wembley Stadium 07.06.08
Wembley Arena 25.02.11
Dingwalls 26.02.11
Milton Keynes 02.07.11
Milton Keynes 03.07.11

Some Videos