Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > Tour Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old December 6th 2014, 10:19 PM
Harriet Jones, MP for Flydale North

Default Re: NYC Irving Plaza Show - Lineup times, General discussion {threads merged}

Pseu---Gathering bits a pieces, was Dave telling some story about someones first show being last night??
I know it can be hard to understand everything he says when he talks sometimes
Old December 6th 2014, 10:21 PM
Colors inside the lines

Default Re: NYC Irving Plaza Show - Lineup times, General discussion {threads merged}

Quote:
Originally Posted by PseuFighter View Post
the show was incredible. i slept in today and watched the nyc episode again and am debating if i want to leave the apartment at all because it's still raining. /rant

fotos --

http://instagram.com/p/wSC4t8Jnpn/?modal=true
http://instagram.com/p/wQUxSVJnh1/?modal=true
No complaining about the weather either!

I still have my buzz from the NOLA show 2 weeks ago. That entire weekend was perfect. Glad you got in and had a great time.

*wears a helmet at all times*
Old December 6th 2014, 10:25 PM
Colors inside the lines

I was also teary eyed watching it at home last night. It was wonderful having them in my home the past 8 Friday nights. Last night was kind of bittersweet, but I've got tickets to 4 shows and meeting up with a gang of ffpb people to look forward to next year.

Still, those small shows are amazing and a once in a lifetime experiences.

*wears a helmet at all times*
Old December 6th 2014, 10:26 PM
Have you found your way around

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaInVA View Post
Pseu---Gathering bits a pieces, was Dave telling some story about someones first show being last night??
I know it can be hard to understand everything he says when he talks sometimes
yeah, there was a guy, i think named mark, that was in the second row in front of dave. dave went to intro the band, asked if it was anyone's first time seeing the foo fighters, dude raised his hand. crowd boos. dave goes, "you raised your hand too quick there" and went on to rib on the guy for the rest of the night. it was all in good fun.
Old December 6th 2014, 10:28 PM
Yo.

There was some very funny banter between Dave and some guy named Mark. Dave asked some rand on guy what his name was, he heard Mark then proceeded to intro each band member to "Mark". Then he thought that he misunderstood his name so he called him Burt. Then it was Mark Burt. Then Dave took a big drink of his beer. It was funny.

And OMG what about Steve Rosenthal from the Magic Shop taking off his shirt while Dave serenaded him with Big Me. Bahhaaaa!
Old December 6th 2014, 10:28 PM

And Dave couldn't tell if he was saying his name was Mark or Burt which was so funny to me

Pseu and kfpandas, so great you got in. Ali is the best.

"Dave has a crush on Taylor" ~Howard Stern 4.11.11
Old December 6th 2014, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Nobody ever said how many people would be allowed into this show. The capacity of any venue is never in any way an indication of how many tickets will be sold.
Those of us who have been reading this board for the last couple of months knew that this would have been a nearly impossible ticket to get--that it would take lots of luck and a lot of dues paying (by getting there early and compulsively trying to form a line even if there was a chance of being shooed off). Maybe there are even people here who realized that not only HBO, David Letterman's company, etc, but also Howard Stern's show (?) are all entitled to get free passes. But when a band or venue advertises that there will be a show at a venue with a capacity of 1,000 people, and tickets will be sold at the door in pairs of two, I don't think people automatically think "oh, only 175 people will be able to buy tickets."

I wonder when the venue realized that -- if they knew days ahead of time that they would only serve 175 people then it's really ridiculous how they handled it. Even if they thought they had 400 pairs it was a bad plan. We're not entitled to know whether it was 400 and later became 175 and it probably doesn't matter given the level of demand. It was smart of them to give the wristbands out early, but if they knew they only had 175, they should have done it at 9 a.m. or 10 a.m. (whenever they saw that there were already more than 175 in line) and announced to everyone on twitter and elsewhere (and with a megaphone on the street) that it was pointless to come at 3 p.m. That would have been a tough call to make after having told everyone it was a 3 p.m. sale, but there was no reason to allow the situation to continue to build once they realized that 3 p.m. was going to be a madhouse.

They should not have allowed this to happen:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spankey View Post
Here is the line at 3PM by fans who had no idea the show was already sold out:
http://youtu.be/_e5Vp5Q5dGo
That line should not have been there hours after it effectively sold out. Someone from the venue should have had the guts to walk up and down those blocks of people waiting in line and told them it was sold out.

This isn't my circus, I wasn't trying for tickets. I'm really glad that many fans who stood outside for a long time got the tickets. That's how it should be. I admire their stamina. I don't think I could have lined up early enough, then stood through the HBO show and still been vertical when the concert finally happened. All in the same day!!! I wish we would hear more about what the show was actually like but maybe they're too tired or too afraid to face the people who tried and didn't get in. I'm just a fan who frequently lines up for things I love and likes to see the effort pay off for similarly-obsessive people. I'd like to see venues learn from bad experiences. It's better to give people as many facts as possible about how long their odds are rather than to tease or mislead them. (I only saw a bit of the venue's twitter feed) Or do a complete surprise announcement and say that the first 175 who get to the theater can buy tickets (though the surprise part was probably impossible if 800 plus people already had VIP tickets--you would think they would have told someone ).
Old December 6th 2014, 10:33 PM
Yo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora Grohl View Post
And Dave couldn't tell if he was saying his name was Mark or Burt which was so funny to me

Pseu and kfpandas, so great you got in. Ali is the best.
Did you see it when Taylor was f'ing around with his sticks and one went flying over his cymbals? He was on fire last night. I am so glad that he had a few good solos/extended jams.
Old December 6th 2014, 10:35 PM

Quote:
That line should not have been there hours after it effectively sold out.
Not saying it was right or wrong, but a lot of those folks that stuck around probably wound up getting in, since they did wind up eventually releasing tickets at the door. I've learned a zillion times over, never listen to the bouncers/staff when they say a show's sold out. Stick around, and there's a decent chance you'll be rewarded.
Old December 6th 2014, 10:39 PM
Everywhere But Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Ninja View Post
Did you see it when Taylor was f'ing around with his sticks and one went flying over his cymbals? He was on fire last night. I am so glad that he had a few good solos/extended jams.
LOVED IT!
Old December 6th 2014, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PseuFighter View Post
Not saying it was right or wrong, but a lot of those folks that stuck around probably wound up getting in, since they did wind up eventually releasing tickets at the door. I've learned a zillion times over, never listen to the bouncers/staff when they say a show's sold out. Stick around, and there's a decent chance you'll be rewarded.
Good point! But I wonder if hundreds of them would have stayed if they had the info.
Old December 6th 2014, 10:43 PM
Yo.

The début of I am a River that I shot last night. The ending is the best. Evah.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...27974030053 5

(Sorry I can't get the hyperlink button to work)
Old December 6th 2014, 10:46 PM

Quote:

Nice!

I have to ask: Do you show stuff like that to friends who don't go to small rock shows?
Old December 6th 2014, 10:50 PM
Yo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan View Post
Nice!

I have to ask: Do you show stuff like that to friends who don't go to small rock shows?
What do you mean? (My brain is functioning a bit slow today!):
Old December 6th 2014, 11:05 PM

Quote:
What do you mean? (My brain is functioning a bit slow today!):
I only have a couple of friends who will like up for shows (and only have about five friends who are willing to stand through a show). So they think I'm crazy when I take a day off and line up. I used to try and show them a photo I took from down front to try and show why it's worth being down front but more and more I just don't try to explain. (that's part of why I like it here--even though I line up for other bands, there are people who understand why it's worth doing.)
Old December 6th 2014, 11:08 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:

Good gawd this is a beautiful video! Thank you so much for sharing! Will you be putting it on YT? My dear friend absolutely loves this song and I would love for him to get to see this video.
Old December 6th 2014, 11:23 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by twhite1221 View Post
Nah, wasn't me....we had dinner at some touristy Cajun joint prior to HOB show. I am glad that I made it into that show at least. I was talking to a couple of ladies that night who had seen multiple shows for SH but can't remember their names.

Yesterday was a complete cluster. I don't blame the band for any of the nonsense that went on but the whole lot at Irving Plaza were being total asses to folks. They spent the morning sending out snarky tweets and then go radio silent once they give out wristbands to 150ish ppl in a mad dash to form a semblance of a line.

My biggest beef in a situation like this is to totally eliminate the +1 for people standing on line. Let whoever is there, buy one ticket and that's it. If you aren't there, then too bad. That could have meant 300+ wristbands for the folks who had been there instead of the lucky few that were able to get 2 tickets.

I hope the folks that were able to attend had a good time.

I know we exchanged comments here but am obviously confusing you with someone else on this board. Sorry the NY show didn't work out but admire that you gave it a shot.
Old December 6th 2014, 11:24 PM
Yo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan View Post
I only have a couple of friends who will like up for shows (and only have about five friends who are willing to stand through a show). So they think I'm crazy when I take a day off and line up. I used to try and show them a photo I took from down front to try and show why it's worth being down front but more and more I just don't try to explain. (that's part of why I like it here--even though I line up for other bands, there are people who understand why it's worth doing.)
I'm pretty unapologetic about it anymore. Some of my best memories and best friends I've met in lines. It's about the experience. The band. Your friends.

Some folks don't get it (my husband doesn't). But as Scarlet would say "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn).
Old December 6th 2014, 11:25 PM
Yo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyJak View Post
Good gawd this is a beautiful video! Thank you so much for sharing! Will you be putting it on YT? My dear friend absolutely loves this song and I would love for him to get to see this video.
You can share the link above! I have it open for the time being.
Old December 6th 2014, 11:47 PM

After standing for a total of 13+ hours yesterday (including the wait for a wristband, the wait for tickets that was extended by an hour and a half because of the insane mob of people without tickets who refused to leave the venue, and then the show itself) my back feels BROKEN today because I'm worthless and old I guess. But I would seriously do it again a million times over in a heartbeat.

The show was phenomenal, I might have cried during Everlong whatever so what, and PseuFighter was the perfect person to go with and I'm so glad I got to see Aurora_Grohl for three seconds after. It was SERIOUSLY SO SO SO GOOD I can't even stress it enough. I honestly can't talk about anything else right now. Pretty sure all of my friends hate me at this point for bringing it up every chance I get.

Also -- to everyone saying diehards didn't get in, real fans were stuck outside, etc. that's simply not true. Sure, it sucks that the venue didn't adhere to its (insanely dangerous and inane) rules, but the people who were desperate to go found a way to line up grossly early and stick it out. All of us had to call out of work or school or whatever, freeze our asses off (PSA: CVS brand toe warmers BARELY WORK, EVERYONE) all in the hopes that we'd somehow get in. And some of us did! I was surrounded by fans who were SO stoked on being there, it was like we'd all won the fucking lottery, and I guess we did.

Oh and to the girls who heckled me outside of Irving for 'cheating': lol