Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > Tour Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old January 24th 2015, 02:47 PM
Have you found your way around

Default Re: Tour setlists discussion thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzolvera View Post
If Dave's voice is running out when playing live I think a good long term solution would be to write more songs with Taylor on vocals like Cold Day.. then you get FF songs and no need for covers.
If Dave's voice can't hold together for 3hrs,

Why play a 3hr show?! Just to say that they play a 3hr show? With 20% filler so he can rest? As I said before, a well thought-out 2hr FF show would not disappoint anyone, I don't know if anyone would complain if there was no "acoustic" or Chevy Metal - segment..
Old January 24th 2015, 03:27 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzolvera View Post
If Dave's voice is running out when playing live I think a good long term solution would be to write more songs with Taylor on vocals like Cold Day.. then you get FF songs and no need for covers.
Now everyone in band can sing, so if dave's voice need rest, let the guys sing. It could be a covers or their own material.
Old January 24th 2015, 03:57 PM
Times Like These

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Who knows. In terms of actual live shows those two and WDID?/GAMY have only been done once, at their SH city promo show.

Feast is the one I find strange that they're not doing. I thought that'd be the other surefire track played alongside the lead single, but they've not touched it on any of the proper big tour shows. It's not like it's any more taxing on the voice than say Pretender.

I wish they would play the whole album..now THAT would be cool. I was hoping for Feast in Nashville, but now I gotta hope that they play it in DC.
05/01/2018 Rupp Arena, Lexington KY
07/26/2018 Noblesville Indiana

09/20/2019- Bourbon & Beyond Louisville KY
Old January 24th 2015, 08:52 PM
Ready on your mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacpero40 View Post
Now everyone in band can sing, so if dave's voice need rest, let the guys sing. It could be a covers or their own material.
Aah, the days when we had no idea what Nate was hiding.

All can hold a tune, as it turns out.

Adelaide / Sydney, 2011
Brisbane / Sydney / Adelaide, 2015
Gold Coast, 2015 (Chevy Metal)
Philadelphia, 2016 (Chevy Metal)
Sydney, 2017 (Chevy Metal)
Adelaide / Brisbane / Sydney, 2018
Old January 25th 2015, 06:37 PM
I'd rather leave than suffer this

I'd like to see them close with I Am A River, and maybe open with the full band version of Everlong, just to mix it up a bit. And throw some more non-singles from the older albums in there. I'd rather see a two to two and a half hour show with Wattershed in there than a 3-hour with 5 covers. I'm going to watch the Foos after all. It's not a bad thing for new fans to hear old songs they don't know, it's part of the magic of seeing a band live. Pearl Jam are good at keeping the set list fresh, why can't the Foos? It's not like it's a choreographed show like AC/DC.
Old January 25th 2015, 09:23 PM
Visiting is pretty...

I went to the show at Morumbi stadium, I was a little disappointed . They only played "the hits"! Not even GENERATOR.
I was expecting "in the clear" (and almost impossible: i am the river and no way back )
Old January 25th 2015, 10:32 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Evil Re: Tour setlists discussion thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhoundnz View Post
I'd like to see them close with I Am A River, and maybe open with the full band version of Everlong, just to mix it up a bit. And throw some more non-singles from the older albums in there. I'd rather see a two to two and a half hour show with Wattershed in there than a 3-hour with 5 covers. I'm going to watch the Foos after all. It's not a bad thing for new fans to hear old songs they don't know, it's part of the magic of seeing a band live. Pearl Jam are good at keeping the set list fresh, why can't the Foos? It's not like it's a choreographed show like AC/DC.
I m in hechizada,encantada,diez to these music like Irma you know? Well.And they aré in Free to sing that they want "old songs conversation whith new songs" Thought that? May be just do it. Good by. Gabriela
Old January 26th 2015, 06:18 AM

Anyone notice that they're not playing Rope much?
Old January 26th 2015, 10:47 AM
There's something out there...

Maybe I'm easy to please but while, in theory, I'm really annoyed that they're playing four or five covers instead of their own songs, I find it sort of hard maintain that when I actually see the videos, since the guys are obviously having a ball with it. I find myself mostly looking for video of the covers the next morning, because the band are actually being loose and at the the same time are getting to show off their actual skills as musicians. Shifty has been shredding up a storm and, just for example, last night Taylor, Rami and Nate killed it on Tom Sawyer (after rallying hard to play it during their band member intros Friday night) Pat has even started to play real guitar solos. They just seem like a band having fun doing something together, instead of the background music while Dave shows off for the crowd. And they've at least been adding new ones each show.

That said however, they might not need five covers to keep it fun if they would actually change up their regular setlist. They've got to be getting as bored of playing almost the exact same set as we are of hearing it. I wish they would bring back a few songs from albums 4, 5 and 6, as it is they're pretty much ignoring ten years worth of material except for four songs. TINLTL, too, but at least Aurora, Breakout and Generator have been played a few times this album cycle.

Basically I guess I mostly think their their rotating songs list could be a little bigger, even just including the singles/songs they've played regularly in the past would extend it considerably.

Sorry if any of that sounded like I was bitching, just writing down some thoughts
Old January 26th 2015, 11:35 AM

To me it´s impossible to understand the covers thing at all.

I mean, there´s a reason why no other band does it.

It´s fucking underestimating your audience by having your own little fun part of the show. People aren´t these to watch the band fuck around a bunch of sloppy covers, they´re there to see the band play a solid set.

I´m seeing the band in june but I know I will go take a leak or have a beer when they turn into a mediocre top40 band.
Old January 26th 2015, 11:55 AM
I don't have a cofee problem.

It's a thoroughly sad state of affairs if you look at setlist.fm and the "songs from albums" pie chart on the right hand side and the highest percentage is "covers".

I love this band but for fucks sake....is it or isn't it the Sonic Highways world tour?

03/06/95 KCLSU 15/11/95 Brixton 28/05/97 Astoria 29/05/97 Astoria 23/11/97 Brixton 25/11/99 Brixton 04/03/00 Scala 24/08/00 Stratford Rex 26/08/02 Astoria 23/11/02 Wembley Arena 24/08/05 Astoria 17/12/05 Earls Court 17/06/06 Hyde Park 18/11/07 02 Arena 06/06/08 Wembley Stadium 23/02/11 Brixton 25/02/11 Wembley Arena 03/07/11 MK Bowl 11/07/2011 Camden Roundhouse 10/09/2014 Brighton Concorde 2 14/09/2014 Invictus Games 06/09/2015 MK Bowl
Old January 26th 2015, 02:21 PM
Make my way back home...

As someone already said on this thread, I was at the shows in São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro and I fully take back what I said about disliking the covers.

It turned up to be one of the must fun segments of the show, on the B Stage and everything. It's just mindblowing. Also, Tom Sawyer last night was fucking amazing. And in São Paulo with Taylor singing Tie Your Mother Down and dancing was a blast.
Feb 25th 2018 - Maracanã - Rio de Janeiro/RJ (Concrete & Gold Tour)

Last edited by Luizim : January 26th 2015 at 02:29 PM.
Old January 28th 2015, 10:27 AM
Line up the bastards...

Quote:
Originally Posted by njfoofan View Post
This is true. Check the set list from this tour so far and last the only real fucking differance is the 3 or four new songs and the fucking covers.
Oh the covers! They've shaved it down to 4 on the last 2 setlists, but even at that it seems too much. 2 would be plenty if they feel the need. Hoping I'll change my mind as some have on the board once I actually see them on this tour though.

Last edited by My Name Is Mud : January 28th 2015 at 10:29 AM.
Old January 28th 2015, 11:08 AM
The Sidekick

There isn't anything especially wrong with covers IMO, I would go to a FF show and enjoy them playing nursery rhymes on cowbell and sitar. It's just that feeling you have that you go to a Foo show to hear Foo songs and no matter how good a cover, you'd generally always prefer an original track. I mean if they're getting tired of playing the same old Foo songs, instead of adding in covers, why not add in the 'deep cuts'? Dave used to say they didn't do that sort of stuff in the past because they want to cater to all the fans, well I doubt a lot of the crowd knows some of these covers they're doing. Certainly if you're of the younger generation and not into the acts they're covering.

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.

Last edited by Simon : January 28th 2015 at 11:15 AM.
Old January 28th 2015, 12:08 PM
Raider of Lost Arks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
There isn't anything especially wrong with covers IMO, I would go to a FF show and enjoy them playing nursery rhymes on cowbell and sitar. It's just that feeling you have that you go to a Foo show to hear Foo songs and no matter how good a cover, you'd generally always prefer an original track. I mean if they're getting tired of playing the same old Foo songs, instead of adding in covers, why not add in the 'deep cuts'? Dave used to say they didn't do that sort of stuff in the past because they want to cater to all the fans, well I doubt a lot of the crowd knows some of these covers they're doing. Certainly if you're of the younger generation and not into the acts they're covering.
Please don't give them ideas!

Old January 28th 2015, 01:32 PM
Yo.

Cowbells and sitar? I like it.

That being said, I'm all in for Team Deepcuts.
Old January 28th 2015, 01:41 PM
The Sidekick

Coming up tonight, a cover of this.

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Old January 28th 2015, 02:40 PM
Line up the bastards...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Ninja View Post
Cowbells and sitar? I like it.

That being said, I'm all in for Team Deepcuts.
Call me Dicky Deepcuts!

Random aside, but when I saw that they'd played Winnebago at Reading a year or two back, I was seething with jealousy!
Old January 28th 2015, 03:01 PM
The Sidekick

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name Is Mud View Post
Call me Dicky Deepcuts!

Random aside, but when I saw that they'd played Winnebago at Reading a year or two back, I was seething with jealousy!
It was pretty good. Winnebago straight into Wattershed, just like the good 'ol days.

--
Old January 28th 2015, 03:35 PM
I'll Stick Around

I don't even mind a random cover or two thrown in. It makes it fun to see what might be covered. I thought In The Flesh and Breakdown were great last tour but they were separated by a few songs and it made them feel special.

It would be great if the band rehearsed about 10 covers per tour and mixed in two on any given night. That would keep it fresh. As it stands now, it just feels like too much...

That said...it is fun to hear them play these songs. In the spirit of Sonic Highways, the band is presenting some great classic rock and will probably make a great number of new fans in the process.