Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old August 24th 2017, 11:48 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Default YouTube censoring Foo Fighters?

"Run" wasn't put on any trending lists. "The Sky is a Neighborhood" doesn't even pop up when you search for Foo Fighters on YouTube. A quick ad for the song turns up, but nothing from their VeVo. YouTube has been censoring ideas against the "norm", and I feel like "Run" and "The Sky is a Neighborhood" are very deep songs about what is going on in the world right now. While Grohl said "Run" was inspired by Trump's election, I think he's smart enough to know that Trump is far from being the only screwed up thing going on, and the lyrics to these songs seem to touch on that. "Run" seems to be about waking up to what's going on around us and running for our lives. "The Sky is a Neighborhood", based on the video, lyrics, and what Grohl has said, seems to be about how we are truly one with the universe but politics and religion breaks up the harmony, turning us into beasts...but maybe that's the way it's supposed to be, since the universe is violent. In any case, I think these songs scare those who don't want people to think. I'm glad Foo Fighters are turning out real music...just sucks that it won't reach the number of people it deserves to reach.
Old August 25th 2017, 12:57 AM
The finder of things...

Default Re: YouTube censoring Foo Fighters?

I have no problem finding either of those on Youtube. Both came up with simply title searches, although I added "Foo fighters" to Run since it's such a common word.

Could you have some type of settings issue?
Old August 25th 2017, 01:03 AM
Better than a bullet being fired...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilder22 View Post
"Run" wasn't put on any trending lists. "The Sky is a Neighborhood" doesn't even pop up when you search for Foo Fighters on YouTube. A quick ad for the song turns up, but nothing from their VeVo
I had the same issues, had to type the full title and band and "VEVO" just to find the video on my iPhone YouTube app. Strange.
Old August 25th 2017, 01:08 AM
A star burned out

Weird, TSIAN didn't show up in my search either, when I added vevo to the search it showed run at the top but no official TSIAN video. I had to go the their channel to find it and it's at a little over 700k views, for their standards and aggressive marketing it should be at over a million by now.
• Jan 14 2001 - Rio de Janeiro | Jun 24 2006 - Osasco/SP (Jackson United) | Jun 26 2006 - São Paulo (Jackson United) | Apr 7 2012 - São Paulo| Jan 23 2015 - São Paulo | Feb 27 2018 - São Paulo | Feb 28 2018 - São Paulo •
Old August 25th 2017, 01:47 AM
Ready on your mark

The short clip and audio post are my top two results for TSIAN, but not the video. It's not unlisted/private so that can't be it. The Run video, however, is right at the top of YouTube search results.

Compare this with Katy Perry's newest video, which dropped 18 hours ago, and it's the first search result.

Curiouser and curiouser.

Adelaide / Sydney, 2011
Brisbane / Sydney / Adelaide, 2015
Gold Coast, 2015 (Chevy Metal)
Philadelphia, 2016 (Chevy Metal)
Sydney, 2017 (Chevy Metal)
Adelaide / Brisbane / Sydney, 2018
Old August 25th 2017, 02:42 AM
Never knowing who to believe

YouTube is corporate entity which has been going headlong into blacklisting and censorship recently, so I'm not suprised.

They must have done something to offend the leftist corporate masters at Google.

Old August 25th 2017, 03:42 AM
I'd rather leave than suffer this

Probably because they have named their channel FooFightersVEVO - I can't imaging Google want a competitor to YouTube appearing high in the rankings?

It is kinda weird that the band has a "FooFighters" channel and a "FooFightersVEVO" channel. They must have some deal with VEVO, otherwise it would make sense just to have stuck with the original channel. They're also using both channel, but have only uploaded TSIAN to the VEVO one - however there is a teaser for it on the original channel, so maybe VEVO have a exclusivity deal for the channel with their name for a period of time?

Entertainment Centre, Wellington, NZ - Nov 25, 2005
Vector Arena, Auckland, NZ - May 5, 2008
Vector Arena, Auckland, NZ - May 6, 2008
Western Springs, Auckland, NZ - Dec 13, 2011
Mount Smart Stadium, Auckland, NZ - Feb 21, 2015
TCV - Brisbane Riverstage, AUS - Jan 25, 2010
TCV - Entertainment Centre, Wellington, NZ - Jan 29, 2010

Creator of the first completely silent album on iTunes.
TWITTER: @BrettBlackNZ
Insta: brettblack
Old August 25th 2017, 07:53 AM
I'll Stick Around

Came here to say this.

No matter what I enter in the YouTube search box, it doesn't come up with TSIAN. The only way is to follow a link, or go to the VEVO channel.

Explains the relatively low view count. There's no way they're not aware of this, so it must be a calculated risk somehow linked to a deal with VEVO.
Old August 25th 2017, 08:22 AM
Oooh oh ooooh

I noticed that too. The official video doesn't show up, only the
short clip
Old August 25th 2017, 01:34 PM
I'll Stick Around

Adding my name to the list of not seeing TSIAN in search results

WAIT UNTIL MY BOMB GOES OFF
Old August 25th 2017, 02:11 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Yeah I can't find the video in a search either. I didn't think too much of it but when I want to watch the video for TSIAN, I click on the short clip then open up the description and then click the link to the actual video that is provided there.

I figured that YouTube wasn't too fond having a video with 'Vevo' written all over it it high in search results.

I doubt the 'liberal media' is trying to censor Foo Fighters though. Especially considering that Dave is openly liberal and supports just about every democratic candidate that runs for office. Not to get political but the US is having a huge issue with mainstream media outlets focusing on their political agenda instead of providing actual news coverage. Hell, even ESPN is spewing this liberal rhetoric. To make my point, Dave/Foo Fighters actually would be welcomed by liberal backed media outlets.

Like others have said, this is probably a YouTube/Vevo issue.
Old August 25th 2017, 02:21 PM
The Sidekick

Vevo are all over YouTube, always have been. Just searching for Foo Fighters brings up all the other VEVO videos, as it does for any other artist. They pretty much all have a VEVO channel. Oh and Google/Alphabet actually have a minor stake in them, so definitely no problem there.

With that said, I don't know what would be causing this but YT searching and filtering has never been great, so perhaps just a temporary gremlin in the works.

I agree it's no specific censorship or great cover up on that video specifically though. That would be illogical.

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Old August 25th 2017, 02:36 PM
I'll Stick Around

If there's some kind of YouTube shenanigans going on (as opposed to a technical glitch), I'd bet that it's all about business and $$$, not about politics
Old August 25th 2017, 02:53 PM
Have you found your way around

I just typed The Sky is a Neighborhood, it tried autocompleting and the official video is my first result. I typed run and run foo fighters was the 4th down on the autocomplete and the first result was the official video too...

Don't know why it works for me and not others...maybe a cache issue??? or, maybe not signed in to youtube???
Old August 25th 2017, 03:03 PM
The Sidekick

What would be benefit though? YouTube make money from the ads on the video, making it hard to find doesn't benefit them. 'Run' is the top result for just searching their name, with 14m views on the VEVO account.

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Old August 25th 2017, 03:11 PM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dug View Post
I just typed The Sky is a Neighborhood, it tried autocompleting and the official video is my first result. I typed run and run foo fighters was the 4th down on the autocomplete and the first result was the official video too...

Don't know why it works for me and not others...maybe a cache issue??? or, maybe not signed in to youtube???
Run comes up no problem, but impossible to find TSIAN. I'm signed in, I've tried using my phone app and computer browser, still nothing. Maybe location?! I'm in France

This is really bugging me lol
Old August 25th 2017, 03:20 PM
The finder of things...

I had no problem finding it last night. Today I can't find it at all
Old August 25th 2017, 03:38 PM
Visiting is pretty...

"Run" never trended, despite it getting millions of views in the first few days. It should have way more views than it does right now because it never trended, thus making less non-fans aware, just like "The Sky is a Neighborhood" should have way more views at this point, too. When they are left off trending lists or don't show up properly in searches, to me that seems like censorship. Look at Miley Cyrus' new song: About nothing important, shows up on all trending lists, easy to find when searching. YouTube is definitely censoring ideas...this may or may not be the case with Foo Fighters, but it seems like it to me.

Last edited by wilder22 : August 25th 2017 at 03:52 PM.
Old August 25th 2017, 03:46 PM
Raider of Lost Arks

Bet they just haven't tagged it properly.

Old August 25th 2017, 05:14 PM
A star burned out

It's no secret that YouTube's algorithm has been going through an overhaul, tons of big youtubers with huge audiences have been disappearing because their monetization suffered a massive cut due to big advertisers complaints. That means it's not properly tweaked yet and tons of harmless content have been falling into this, hence the disappearance of big channels, they've been calling it "adpocalypse".

I think TSIAN is just another victim of that, no censorship in the sense of barring political views, it's not even the case with this song, no liberal/conservative agenda bullshit, just a malfunctioning machine.
• Jan 14 2001 - Rio de Janeiro | Jun 24 2006 - Osasco/SP (Jackson United) | Jun 26 2006 - São Paulo (Jackson United) | Apr 7 2012 - São Paulo| Jan 23 2015 - São Paulo | Feb 27 2018 - São Paulo | Feb 28 2018 - São Paulo •