Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > FooFighters.com
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old April 27th 2005, 01:58 PM
Visiting is pretty...

I have personally run two different boards for the past three years. I'm admin, and I have 3 mods that work for me.

I can't believe the heavy moderating here, though. In the short time I've been here, I've had 3 threads either moved or closed in *very* short order. Rather than take a new user by the hand and politely informing him about where his post should have gone, they were just closed or moved. That's bad moderating. Ed, I know you've run FF sites over the years. Who are these clowns moderating for you?

Obviously the mods here like to play the power game so I'm outta here. What's more, your board software sucks big time, and your hosting is terribly slow.

To complain about vbulletin is ridiculous. It only shows what you know about board software. Example, in the (essentially useless) forum "Public Warnings", Jill could have saved time by not just banning the username(s), but the IP address of the offender, thus preventing them from creating more nicknames and joining the board once again.

Bottom line is, you guys need to lighten up. A lot. If you want to populate this place with under 15 kids, then maybe you're doing the right thing. However, if you want anyone who's half mature to hang out at FF... ease up. Seriously.

I'll be very surprised if I'm not banned and this thread either closed, moved, or most likely deleted by the time I visit again later. It will only prove my points above. I haven't broken any rules by posting this. Just my opinions.

I'm actually a good guy, but I don't (and nobody should) have to put up with high-school silliness.

Cheers.
Old April 27th 2005, 02:03 PM
Have you found your way around

**waits for Matt Hancock's response**
Old April 27th 2005, 02:04 PM
FooArchive

pjonze presents a free lesson in how to get along on bbs.foofighters.com;

1. Shut up.
2. Lurk.
3. Lurk some more.
4. When you have the slightest clue about what happens on here,
5. Register a new name and get on with it.
6. Never forget that lists are funnier when you put 'fuck off' at the end.
7. Fuck off.

"FooArchive? It's a wealth of information." - Dave Grohl
Old April 27th 2005, 02:17 PM
Cause everyone's just too weird

Quote:
Originally posted by Evil Chris:
Example, in the (essentially useless) forum "Public Warnings", Jill could have saved time by not just banning the username(s), but the IP address of the offender, thus preventing them from creating more nicknames and joining the board once again.
No way is Jill smart enough to think of that...

But I can see you, your brown skin shinin’ in the sun
You got your hair combed back and your sunglasses on, baby
And I can tell you my love for you will still be strong
After the boys of summer have gone.
Old April 27th 2005, 02:26 PM
In too deep

Ok, here's the thing, you don't know how it works, this is a board owned by a huge band, I don't know what you worked on, but I bet it wasn't at this kinda level, so, the mods let one or two threads from newbies go... then another few, and another few, and pretty soon, the board is clogged with crap that is unrelated to anything. They have a limited number of people working here to make sure the board stays in a working order and don't need to be told how to do their job considering they've been doing it well since I've been here and obviously before as well.

Plus, they are pretty good on here, they only ban and give warnings when you really mess up (death threats, repeated breaking of rules, etc). They do a spot on job.

If you're so mature then make sure you post in the right forum (or Foo Free if you aren't sure) and leave it at that.
Old April 27th 2005, 02:38 PM

I don't know what you mean by slow......most of the time when i move between threads/forums it takes a grand total of 1 whole second to do so. Your net connection must be pretty buggered....or you can somehow function in milliseconds.
Old April 27th 2005, 02:46 PM

No wonder the board is slow if pointless timewasting bastards come on and create threads like this.
Old April 27th 2005, 03:11 PM
Never knowing who to believe

I love my Sherrif Jilly Biscuit.
[img]smile.gif[/img]

When you sign in did you get the suggestions that were sent to the e-mail you registered under? Did you get that memo? I would venture to guess that you just checked the "agree" and didn't bother to follow any of those suggestions.

*injured sniff*

I love my Tym, Ed and.. Wizeguy (?) too.

Oh yeah and what pjonze said.. #7,
[img]smile.gif[/img]
-L
As I recall about a year ago someone solicited my advice on a certain project. Professing, and I'm forgetting exact details I'm sure, something along the lines of.. "the utmost respect for Native American culture." How's that going for ya Cinn?

"I'm a big Native-hating racist!" Originally Posted by CinnamonGirl
"I'll remember not to step on your toes again, your highness." Originally Posted by CinnamonGirl

Please do.
Thanks,
-L
Old April 27th 2005, 04:02 PM
Been here since before you were born

Quote:
Originally posted by Coleman:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Evil Chris:
Example, in the (essentially useless) forum "Public Warnings", Jill could have saved time by not just banning the username(s), but the IP address of the offender, thus preventing them from creating more nicknames and joining the board once again.
No way is Jill smart enough to think of that... </font>[/quote]I hope you are being sarcastic...nobody puts down my jillybean and gets away with it!
fucker!
|04/03/96 Concert Hall|07/07/97 Warehouse|10/11/97 Arrow Hall|07/01/98 Molson Park|08/11/00 Molson Park|10/28/02 Much Music|10/29/02 Opera House|07/07/03 Arrow Hall|07/19/03 Sarnia Bayfest|06/16/05 Edge Studio|06/16/05 Lee's Palace|08/13/05 Molson Amph|08/23/06 Hummingbird Centre|11/07/06 ACC|03/20/08 John Labatt Centre|03/22/08 ACC|04/14/11 Nick Dude's Garage|08/09/11 ACC|09/25/11 HSBC Arena|07/08-9/15 Molson Amph|07/12/18 SkyDome|
Old April 27th 2005, 04:06 PM
Been here since before you were born

also..thats what the FAQ is for.

pjonze pretty much hit the nail right on the head.
the mods here do a bang up job, and its not only under-15's who post here...
i'm 25 (almost)and have been on this board since i was 19.
Lurk until you know whats going on.
post. integrate. Don't post in the wrong forum. Its not that hard.
|04/03/96 Concert Hall|07/07/97 Warehouse|10/11/97 Arrow Hall|07/01/98 Molson Park|08/11/00 Molson Park|10/28/02 Much Music|10/29/02 Opera House|07/07/03 Arrow Hall|07/19/03 Sarnia Bayfest|06/16/05 Edge Studio|06/16/05 Lee's Palace|08/13/05 Molson Amph|08/23/06 Hummingbird Centre|11/07/06 ACC|03/20/08 John Labatt Centre|03/22/08 ACC|04/14/11 Nick Dude's Garage|08/09/11 ACC|09/25/11 HSBC Arena|07/08-9/15 Molson Amph|07/12/18 SkyDome|
Old April 27th 2005, 04:43 PM
Have you found your way around

Quote:
I'm outta here.
I, for one, am devastated!

[ 04-27-2005, 11:55 AM: Message edited by: LadyD ]
Old April 27th 2005, 04:51 PM
The Boss

Quote:
I have personally run two different boards for the past three years. I'm admin, and I have 3 mods that work for me.

I can't believe the heavy moderating here, though. In the short time I've been here, I've had 3 threads either moved or closed in *very* short order. Rather than take a new user by the hand and politely informing him about where his post should have gone, they were just closed or moved. That's bad moderating. Ed, I know you've run FF sites over the years. Who are these clowns moderating for you?
Well, let me ask about the boards you've run...How many users have they had? Cause this site is getting a couple of million hits a month and there are a lot more posters than most forums really have to handle.

Topics getting moved isn't over-moderating, that's just moving shit where it belongs whether it's a topic that's been discussed 60 billion times in 6 years or something just posted in the wrong spot (i.e. tour stuff in the general section)

As far as closing stuff, it's reserved for duplicate threads that don't need to exist and stuff that is hopelessly off-topic or just plain inappropriate for whatever section. Do you really think we need 7 different topics on page 1 to discuss the same article?

If you want over-moderating, try IGN.com's message boards. Topics are locked like wildfire there and anything resembling flaming isn't tolerated. For a board system that has a half million or so users, it's the only real way they can try to run it anyway

Quote:
Obviously the mods here like to play the power game so I'm outta here. What's more, your board software sucks big time, and your hosting is terribly slow.

To complain about vbulletin is ridiculous. It only shows what you know about board software. Example, in the (essentially useless) forum "Public Warnings", Jill could have saved time by not just banning the username(s), but the IP address of the offender, thus preventing them from creating more nicknames and joining the board once again.
This just shows me that you have no experience with a board this size. IP banning is usually reserved for repeat offenders or people who go way over the line. You wanna know why? Because with 30,000 users, it is practically impossible for us to effectively ban an ip block without locking out dozens of interesting people. I could never check the IP ban log and still know when it's been updated just by the complete strangers who email asking why they can't post.

That's hardly a unique feature to vbulletin and to be honest, I don't really give a damn either way about their software. UBB has served our needs well enough for 6 years and with regular maintenance to prune inactive users and topics, it's been perfectly fine for us. And we're probably close to triple the recommended userbase for our software

Quote:
Bottom line is, you guys need to lighten up. A lot. If you want to populate this place with under 15 kids, then maybe you're doing the right thing. However, if you want anyone who's half mature to hang out at FF... ease up. Seriously.

I'll be very surprised if I'm not banned and this thread either closed, moved, or most likely deleted by the time I visit again later. It will only prove my points above. I haven't broken any rules by posting this. Just my opinions.

I'm actually a good guy, but I don't (and nobody should) have to put up with high-school silliness.
While, I'm not exactly excited by the idea of making this board full of freshmen in high school, they are allowed as is anyone else of any age. We don't regulate profanity, we just make sure people aren't being assholes to each other and everything runs smoothy. Aside from a few limits on stuff relating to the band's private lives (which was enforced by request of the band after a handful of problems), there's not a whole hell of a lot you can't say.

Hell, we have an entire unmoderated section where it is practically impossible, short of selling/advertising stuff, to get your thread tampered with.

Tell me, how many official BBS's for a band as big as this one really offer an area that's just handled by mob rule?

If you wanna think we're a bunch of power hungry Nazis because we moved your topic pertaining to the website to the sub-section specifically created for "questions, complaints, comments, and suggestions about the website", then so be it. But if it isn't moved, your oh-so-articulate and insightful critique of our work gets buried underneath 5 threads about a rolling stone article, and a dozen or so more discussing 1 new song.

It's a matter of efficiency and making it so stuff directed to the people who run this site actually gets seen by the people who run this site.

You may prefer to run your prestigious boards a different way, but this is how we do things here and this is how it works best after 6 years of trial and error with slightly different approaches and changes made when the circumstances change (i.e. when about 40 Metallica street-teamers spanned the board over 48 hours to push St. Anger we had to enforce Street-Teaming as a an automatic bannable offense so they would quit clogging up our forums)

I've been here for 6 years and worked here for 4 1/2 years. There is absolutely nothing about how we run things now that seems like the wrong idea after all I've seen and dealt with over that time period. So forgive me, if I don't really think 4 days here qualifies you as know how things should be done, regardless of what your other experience is
Old April 27th 2005, 05:37 PM
The Boss

um, YEAH!

So you think that moving this thread from General FOO Discussion to Meet and Greet was heavy handed?

Example 1

Or this question may have possibly been asked once or twice in the past 6 years?

Example 2

I was polite. I did my job. I don't get why you think it's so heavily moderated.

Matt and Tym both pretty much responded regarding the dynamic IP issues that I have with Orange. I have actually banned her more times than indicated and perhaps it isn't nice of me to keep adding to the list but it makes me feel like I have more control.

Now I am sure your websites are fabulous. You use fabulous software and your moderators are swell. Not to boast but I have a few people that think I do an OK job at the numerous sites that I am an admin on. Jimmy Eat World, Jackson United, Foo, Saves the Day and All American Rejects (long story on that one) and up until last week I was working on the Beastie Boys board. I stepped down.

So you can think the moderators stink here and me more specifically and that's your opinion. I disagree.

Follow my dog on Instagram: jackthekeeshond
Old April 27th 2005, 05:46 PM

Jill, youre a hell of a lot nicer than I would be. (thats not saying much coming from me, but it was still a compliment, trust me.)

Life ain't nothin but bitches and money.

I got a question for you. Why are you still here?

DAPHNE'S MYSPACE!
Old April 27th 2005, 05:53 PM
Qur'an*

I just want to say i think Tym and Jill are the most generous swingers couple who've ever paid for my services.
Old April 27th 2005, 06:24 PM
Banned

How dare you all criticize this man, he's had two boards for three years! He's Jeebus! He knows all!
Old April 27th 2005, 06:31 PM
I'll Stick Around

to Evil Chris.

I just wanted to say that I think our mods do a great job.

In my opinion this postboard offers what I need. I've been in many forums around the web and nothing feels quite like this. eventhough I am a newbie on this board, with little over 200 posts, I quickly noticed the tone these people have. it's free and friendly in general. this is thanks to the posters who know how to use this forum correctly, and the mods who kindly but firmly tell the lost where to post.

I love this board and wouldn't want it any other way, now go away evil person.

[img]smile.gif[/img]
Old April 27th 2005, 06:50 PM
Banned

Aw, did someone get his wittle feewings hurt by Jiwwy?

Suck it up or go somewhere else, fool.

Old April 27th 2005, 07:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
I have personally run two different boards for the past three years. I'm admin, and I have 3 hos that suck dick for me.

I can't believe the heavy petting here, though. In the short time I've been here, I've had 3 orgasms either forced or faked in *very* short order. Rather than take a new user by the dick and politely beating him off, they were just teased or rejected. That's bad prostituting. Ed, I know you've run pimp factories over the years. Who are these mimes whoring it out for you?

Obviously the hos here like to play the power game so I'm outta here. What's more, your mother sucks big time, and your retarded sister is terribly slow.

To complain about my sexual deficiencies is ridiculous. It only shows what you know about intercourse. Example, in the (essentially useless) forum "Pubic Warnings", Jill could have saved time by not just beating off the user, but the entire family of the offender, thus preventing them from creating more nicknames and joining the board once again.

Bottom line is, you guys need to lighten up. A lot. If you want to populate this place with under 15 kids, then maybe you're doing the right thing. However, if you want anyone who's half mature to have sex at FF... ease up. Seriously.

I'll be very surprised if I'm not banned and this thread either closed, moved, or most likely deleted by the time I beat off again later. It will only prove my points above. I haven't broken any dicks by posting this. Just my opinions.

I'm actually a good guy, but I don't (and nobody should) have to put up with having blue balls 24/7.

Queers.
Old April 27th 2005, 07:24 PM

Exclamation

This is the best moderated board around, if you don't like it, leave. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

If only women came with a remote control......
Kraut Balls OBE: 100% taste, 0% fat.
Closed Thread