Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > Tour Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old March 9th 2015, 02:49 PM
Have you found your way around

Default Re: New Zealand & Australia Tour

No matter how hard I try I just can't figure the covers-portion out -

I get that Springsteen could bust out an impromptu version of Royals when in NZ or Ryan Adams do a song from Dirty Dancing whilst on tour but a whole show portion of covers? Which are the same every night?

This subject is a dead horse I know but it's just so weird.
Old March 9th 2015, 02:58 PM
The Sidekick

I don't know which idea came first, the covers or the second stage but to me it seems obvious that they feel when they go out to the second stage they can't just go out and continue on playing the same songs they were already doing. In 2007/8 when they had the second stage they went out and did the mini-acoustic set, this time they've obviously decided to use it for the covers set, hence why they didn't do the covers at Hobart, with no second stage.

That doesn't explain why they do the same covers of course, but I think it's the general reason for the set. They want to go out and do a vastly different set of songs to the main stage. It used to be acoustic stuff, now it's covers.

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Old March 9th 2015, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
It used to be acoustic stuff, now it's covers.
Yup, the idea of the second stage is of course to do "something different", itīs the covers I have hard time understanding.. Being the 20th anni etc it would also make for a "tribute" to S/T songs or whatever.. Or to bring out guests in the vein of Sonic Highways - every city has its own superstar and now that they have the jam room..
Old March 9th 2015, 05:10 PM
There's something out there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo3001 View Post
No matter how hard I try I just can't figure the covers-portion out -

I get that Springsteen could bust out an impromptu version of Royals when in NZ or Ryan Adams do a song from Dirty Dancing whilst on tour but a whole show portion of covers? Which are the same every night?

This subject is a dead horse I know but it's just so weird.
Have you watched video of the covers? the band is obviously having a blast and for the most part the audience seems to like it. Dave keeps making reference to when he was a kid and why he started playing music. I think that's partially why, a whole lot of people start playing mysic because they want to play their favourite songs, so now Dave has a band that can play pretty much anything well, so he's having fun with it, that would be my guess. I'm not saying that's an ideal attitude from a mega band that has all kinds of their own songs to choose from but i can understand it. It's not like they're only playing covers, they're playing them on top of 20-ish of their own hits.

To be honest, i'm enough of a dumbass fangirl that seeing the band have fun, and show off like they don't get to on Foo songs is enough to make it enjoyable for me. I do, however, totally get the annoyance and would also love for them to dig deeper into their own catalogue instead (or in addition)
Old March 9th 2015, 07:09 PM

They should have their favourite meals served for them on the 2nd stage so that the audience could watch the band enjoy themselves.
Old March 9th 2015, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo3001 View Post
They should have their favourite meals served for them on the 2nd stage so that the audience could watch the band enjoy themselves.
I totally get where you're coming from, but it seems like the audience likes it for the most part, if it was going over like a lead balloon, they'd probably stop.

Obviously the board feels differently about the covers and that's fine, I agree with a lot of points. But the cover thing is not completly inexplicable, they're doing it because they can.
Old March 9th 2015, 07:38 PM

I'm sure people like it,

That's totally fine, but it doesn't change the fact that it's a weird thing to do at a stadium show.

Weirder than the Benny Hill theme thing and the rehearsed "let's see how many of you there are" with a flashlight in broad daylight I was unfortunate enough to see Green Day do some time ago.
Old March 9th 2015, 10:01 PM
Easy For YOU To Say

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipKid815 View Post
I totally get where you're coming from, but it seems like the audience likes it for the most part, if it was going over like a lead balloon, they'd probably stop.
Yes you're right, by and large it's liked a lot, and yes as others have said by and large the crowd have no idea they played the same songs last night or said all the same things to the crowd as though it was the first time the words ever occurred to Dave to say. And yes it's a concert, he's not in court and he can say whatever he damn well likes, and truly it's no biggie for me and it shouldn't be for anyone. I'd still enjoy the hell out of seeing them play the phone book over and over, so repetition isn't really exactly the "problem" I'm having.

Quote:
Obviously the board feels differently about the covers and that's fine, I agree with a lot of points. But the cover thing is not completly inexplicable, they're doing it because they can.
Well if we do feel differently.. I think maybe it's partly just we KNOW differently.. we know it's not the impromptu spontaneous thing that its made out to be. "We love to play these songs because they were the ones we grew up on and played in the garage - and always dreamed one day we'd get to play live and now we can..."

For me (and maybe other board members) it's NOT that any of those words are a lie at all, it's not even that they are repeated - how does it matter if 85% of the crows at a stadium doesn't even know they were ever said before. It's just that when you DO know it was said before, it feels a bit lazy playing the same cover songs when you COULD be playing something else. Even in the same category they must have a list between them of "Oh my god that song meant so much to me" at least a thousand songs long.

At worst they could surely substitute in a few more of them. At best I think the covers thing is fun and great to have stashed away to bring out now and then here and there - but Hobart proves that just playing more of your own rock songs is probably even better from a crowds perspective. I can't see why that should change at all just because you increase the venue and crowd size to a stadium. And I'd just die to even hear that they did say the first half of TCATS live on the second stage.

For me the Foos are NOT a rock show performance band. And if playing stadiums or being 20 years old means they think (or are advised) they now have to try and turn themselves into one, then I think each gig immediately loses that special something that has always made them really great to me - that it's not about the fucking performance - it's ALL about the fucking music. Because when they start playing ANYWHERE with that mid set, then every single fucking time the performance is utterly insane because of it without even trying. And you go away going holy fuck! rather than yeah damn that was good.

Don't get me wrong, like I say I still loved them to death and I'll still go to every gig I can. But there was something just "not quite right" with the two NZ gigs. And that "thing" seemed totally back in Hobart. And was totally there back in Western Springs too - so it sure isn't about size as that was almost 60K.

And yeah OK so back to those 85% of the stadium that go away going gee that seemed really cool playing those covers... (and that was something I actually heard a group of 20 odd year olds saying as they left ("--- those covers were cool") and the 55% of the stadium that go away saying well Id never seen the Foo Fighters before... I enjoyed that - it was really good. I want back the gigs where 100% of the crowd leaves going oh sweet Christ that was just insane - how could they ever beat that..?

And then go back to the next show to find they did. For me this is the first time that they haven't. Maybe the whatever it is that's eating at me is just as simple as that.
Old March 9th 2015, 11:50 PM

Well, I was including myself in the "board" generalization. I'd rather have a more varied setlist than the covers, myself. I was just trying to say that I don't think the reasoning behind the covers is all that mysterious. Not that I necessarily agree with it, just that I get it.
Old March 10th 2015, 12:58 AM
Easy For YOU To Say

Quote:
Well, I was including myself in the "board" generalization. I'd rather have a more varied setlist than the covers, myself. I was just trying to say that I don't think the reasoning behind the covers is all that mysterious. Not that I necessarily agree with it, just that I get it.
It's all good I was having a general rant I wasn't in any way getting at or disagreeing with what you'd said... just venting lol
Old March 10th 2015, 10:42 AM
Off my chops on RNR!

Quote:
I totally get where you're coming from, but it seems like the audience likes it for the most part, if it was going over like a lead balloon, they'd probably stop.can.
I prefer originals, but any Foo will do!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sed8...9aKGnKBPD-9lsw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaBt...9aKGnKBPD-9lsw

'I have a choice between the bat or the belt each time I hear about the hand you've been dealt'

Jan 31st 2003, Big Day Out, Adelaide (QOTSA too)
Dec 6th 2005, Rod Laver Arena, Melbourne
April 26th 2008, Rod Laver Arena, Melbourne
Dec 5th 2011, Adelaide Oval, Adelaide
Feb 28th 2015, Etihad Stadium Docklands, Melbourne
Mar 4th 2015, Coopers Stadium, Adelaide
Jan 23rd 2018, Coopers Stadium, Adelaide
Old April 8th 2015, 02:01 AM
The Sidekick

Hobart Audio - http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-d...d=523527&hit=1

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Old April 8th 2015, 02:31 PM
I AM EVERYWHERE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
oooh, thank you! This was a great show, glad to have a copy.
Homer: "Oh Lisa, I just meant that marriage is like a coffin. And each kid is another nail..."
Enter at your peril. I will not be held responsible.

"To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded."-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old July 4th 2015, 10:36 AM
Easy For YOU To Say

Just linking this in here:

Christchurch NZ 18th Feb 2015 FULL CONCERT Video
http://bbs.foofighters.com/showpost....47&postcount=1