Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > Tour Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old November 4th 2014, 09:16 AM
Easy For YOU To Say

Default Re: RFK Stadium - Washington D.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmatthes View Post
As a DC local, I'm STRONGLY advising out of towners to check out the hotel availability and prices first, before committing to tickets. Trying to find a hotel in DC, much less the DC area ON OR AROUND JULY 4th will really be a long shot. In addition to that, downtown DC hotel prices rival NYC's on regular days, so expect to pay a few times the regular rates for July 4th when our city is typically logjammed.

I'd recommend booking a refundable hotel reservation NOW, before tickets go on sale - you can always cancel it if you don't get tickets for the RFK show. That way, you won't get shut out trying to find a place to stay.

Also, keep in mind that there are some not so nice places around town - the area around RFK is very sketchy. Avoid S.E. DC and the close-in PG County side of things. Stick to hotels in N.W. DC, Montgomery County, MD, and Northern VA areas, unless you want to be sitting in traffic for hours. Metro is your friend that day!
Seriously folks this is all VERY important advice.

I was there
Old November 4th 2014, 09:20 AM
Easy For YOU To Say

New store shirts up for RFK:
http://shop.foofighters.com/collecti...rfk-unisex-tee

You may or may not know I'm a bit of a collector. My advice get your size NOW. This is sliding on as just another big 2015 US gig t-shirt following the Wrigley one, but this is after all going to be the EXACT 20th anniversary of the first album, so this shirt will without any doubt become a serious collectors item even if the numbers are quite large. My 2c.

I was there

Last edited by FooZealand : November 4th 2014 at 09:23 AM.
Old November 4th 2014, 02:15 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmatthes View Post
As a DC local, I'm STRONGLY advising out of towners to check out the hotel availability and prices first, before committing to tickets. Trying to find a hotel in DC, much less the DC area ON OR AROUND JULY 4th will really be a long shot. In addition to that, downtown DC hotel prices rival NYC's on regular days, so expect to pay a few times the regular rates for July 4th when our city is typically logjammed.

I'd recommend booking a refundable hotel reservation NOW, before tickets go on sale - you can always cancel it if you don't get tickets for the RFK show. That way, you won't get shut out trying to find a place to stay.

Also, keep in mind that there are some not so nice places around town - the area around RFK is very sketchy. Avoid S.E. DC and the close-in PG County side of things. Stick to hotels in N.W. DC, Montgomery County, MD, and Northern VA areas, unless you want to be sitting in traffic for hours. Metro is your friend that day!

I agree that this is generally good advice, but write to say that much of DC has changed dramatically in the past 20 and even 10 years. The area around RFK is not nearly as bad as it used to be. Although, DC can be very block by block, so double check any air bnb opportunities on Capitol Hill. And, I agree I would not book a hotel to the east of RFK. But, some hotels to the south (near the new baseball stadium could be okay). Anything in downtown/NW DC, on the orange line and on the red line would be fine. Hotels in Northern Virginia near the orange line can be very reasonable. Independent hotels in DC are reasonable too. With the soccer team playing there and drawing healthy crowds the past few years I hope the stadium services have improved somewhat. If you are driving to town that's fine. But, I would not bother renting a car, take taxis and metro. Parking at hotels/around the city is expensive. And the concert starts early enough that metro going in should not be bad, but getting home that night will probably be jammed up. Fortunately, stations around RFK would load passengers before getting to the fireworks crowd. Just some thoughts. Looking forward to some rock and roll! When is the presale!!!
Old November 4th 2014, 02:37 PM
FooArchive

Quote:
Originally Posted by FooZealand View Post
New store shirts up for RFK:
http://shop.foofighters.com/collecti...rfk-unisex-tee

You may or may not know I'm a bit of a collector. My advice get your size NOW. This is sliding on as just another big 2015 US gig t-shirt following the Wrigley one, but this is after all going to be the EXACT 20th anniversary of the first album, so this shirt will without any doubt become a serious collectors item even if the numbers are quite large. My 2c.
If Wembley or Milton Keynes is anything to go by then there will be a special shirt - but I disagree that this is it. It looks too general, no support, no exact date, no play on it being their 20th... I picture a limited run Morning Breath/Uprising Creative/Johnson Motors type of deal nearer the time.

"FooArchive? It's a wealth of information." - Dave Grohl
Old November 4th 2014, 02:44 PM
Fooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjonze View Post
If Wembley or Milton Keynes is anything to go by then there will be a special shirt - but I disagree that this is it. It looks too general, no support, no exact date, no play on it being their 20th... I picture a limited run Morning Breath/Uprising Creative/Johnson Motors type of deal nearer the time.
Maybe some baseball/football shirts nearer the time.Hopefully some 20th anniversary or decent SH shirts may go on sale next week.
Old November 4th 2014, 03:06 PM
Raider of Lost Arks

Default Re: Biggest ever Washington D.C. show - July 4th 2015 at RFK Stadium

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilshack View Post
Maybe some baseball/football shirts nearer the time.Hopefully some 20th anniversary or decent SH shirts may go on sale next week.
I would definitely get one of those. I always regret not getting one of the rugby shirts when they had them.

Old November 4th 2014, 03:08 PM
Fooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bexster View Post
I would definitely get one of those. I always regret not getting one of the rugby shirts when they had them.
A Foos baseball shirt would look cool!
Old November 4th 2014, 03:11 PM
The Boss

A teaser of sorts....

Follow my dog on Instagram: jackthekeeshond
Old November 4th 2014, 03:22 PM
Everywhere But Home

just want to say that I was blown away at how the Black Cat area had changed in dc.... it had been over ten years since I'd been there. it definitely was built up and all "hipstered" out. wayyyy different than the way I remembered it - run down and rather sketchy. NO shops or restaurants around at the time.
Old November 4th 2014, 03:31 PM
Visiting is pretty...

ordered the tshirts... will probably get the 20th anniversary shirts or whatever comes out later.

Yes, area around RFK is sketchy and is a little better than it was but I still advise people not to book a hotel near it.

I really hope 930 club sends a presale email for this.. *fingerscrossed*

I will cut a bitch if I don't get tix (local, live in MD).
Old November 4th 2014, 03:35 PM
Harriet Jones, MP for Flydale North

Arrow Re: Biggest ever Washington D.C. show - July 4th 2015 at RFK Stadium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
just want to say that I was blown away at how the Black Cat area had changed in dc.... it had been over ten years since I'd been there. it definitely was built up and all "hipstered" out. wayyyy different than the way I remembered it - run down and rather sketchy. NO shops or restaurants around at the time.
In 2003 we had to go to the Howard Univ ER to pee, this time we went to Starbucks!
Old November 4th 2014, 04:08 PM
tired of wearing black and blue

Could any of you DC locals be so kind as to recommend some hotels, or areas with a good selection of hotels with easy access to the metro?

Tried some searching on my own from info in an earlier post here, but I'm not up for it right now I think, I did terrible. Just got off work...

Will come over for this if it'll be something really good! But got really stressed out about hotels, so would like to get a reservation in before tickets to the gig goes on sale.
Old November 4th 2014, 04:23 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristiaaaan View Post
Could any of you DC locals be so kind as to recommend some hotels, or areas with a good selection of hotels with easy access to the metro?

Tried some searching on my own from info in an earlier post here, but I'm not up for it right now I think, I did terrible. Just got off work...

Will come over for this if it'll be something really good! But got really stressed out about hotels, so would like to get a reservation in before tickets to the gig goes on sale.
I have a lot of clients that come to town. I swear half my job is travel agent. Hotels nearby these examples are fine too....

- Courtyard Marriott on F & 9th Streets and any of the downtown Hiltons and Marriotts
- Hotels on New Jersey Ave near Capitol
- Residence Inn and Holiday Inn just south of the National Mall
- L'Enfant Plaza
- State Plaza on Virginia Ave
- Anything on Connecticut Ave
- Kimpton Hotels around town
- Anything around DuPont Circle
- Washington Plaza Hotel on Thomas Circle is a nice usually reasonable hotel. Some chain hotels near there too.
- Anything heading toward Georgetown
- Best Western, Marriott and Hilton Hotels in Rosslyn and Courtyard, Virginia
- Hotels in Crystal City, Virginia
- Hotels in Ballston and East Falls Church (suburban but cheap and near orange line)
- Best Western, Marriott and Hilton Hotels in Alexandria, Virginia (some of these might not be near metro)
- Silver Spring, Maryland area probably good

Last edited by dustytula : November 4th 2014 at 10:55 PM. Reason: forgot something...
Old November 4th 2014, 07:33 PM
I don't have a cofee problem.

http://shop.foofighters.com/collecti...lecules-hoodie

This is the best hoodie, ever.

03/06/95 KCLSU 15/11/95 Brixton 28/05/97 Astoria 29/05/97 Astoria 23/11/97 Brixton 25/11/99 Brixton 04/03/00 Scala 24/08/00 Stratford Rex 26/08/02 Astoria 23/11/02 Wembley Arena 24/08/05 Astoria 17/12/05 Earls Court 17/06/06 Hyde Park 18/11/07 02 Arena 06/06/08 Wembley Stadium 23/02/11 Brixton 25/02/11 Wembley Arena 03/07/11 MK Bowl 11/07/2011 Camden Roundhouse 10/09/2014 Brighton Concorde 2 14/09/2014 Invictus Games 06/09/2015 MK Bowl
Old November 4th 2014, 07:52 PM
tired of wearing black and blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustytula View Post
I have a lot of clients that come to town. I swear half my job is travel agent. Hotels nearby these examples are fine too....

- Courtyard Marriott on F & 9th Streets and any of the downtown Hiltons and Marriotts
- Hotels on New Jersey Ave near Capitol
- Residence Inn and Holiday Inn just south of the National Mall
- L'Enfant Plaza
- State Plaza on Virginia
- Anything on Connecticut Ave
- Kimpton Hotels around town
- Anything around DuPont Circle
- Anything heading toward Georgetown
- Best Western, Marriott and Hilton Hotels in Rosslyn and Courtyard, Virginia
- Hotels in Crystal City, Virginia
- Hotels in Ballston and East Falls Church (suburban but cheap and near orange line)
- Best Western, Marriott and Hilton Hotels in Alexandria, Virginia (some of these might not be near metro)
- Silver Spring, Maryland area probably good
Wow, seems like you've got this down. Thank you!
I'll have a look now.
Old November 4th 2014, 08:31 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCol View Post
yeah that is pretty cool and only 40 bucks..
Old November 4th 2014, 10:11 PM
everything fades in time it's true...

I usually steer away from the big stadium shows but this looks to be pretty epic, so I will definitely be going for tickets when they go up.

Fingers still crossed to land a spot at one of the intimate SH gigs. I am still pouting about missing the Ryman last week. Major, major bummer that was!! Good luck to everyone in the coming weeks getting a chance to see a small show!
Old November 5th 2014, 04:32 PM
I'll Stick Around

And don't forget smoking dope is legal in DC now. LOL, gonna be quite a show...
Old November 5th 2014, 04:36 PM
Polite as fuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrerascott View Post
haha, I have not read the specifics, but I don't think you should pack the bong and haul ass to RFK just yet!
Old November 5th 2014, 07:37 PM
that's all I need to be

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrerascott View Post
I'm pretty sure it's just the medical stuff, no?