Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion > Foo Fighters Collections and Recordings
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old November 1st 2017, 02:01 AM
Easy For YOU To Say

Default About That 12 Track Version Of Concrete And Gold...

I now own proof that it definitely existed... and even how the 12 tracks were set. I'm thinking Planned Parenthood intervened.

How cool is this - super early industry promo songbook. Gold stitched binding and... SOLDIER

Old November 1st 2017, 02:07 AM
Ready on your mark

Default Re: About That 12 Track Version Of Concrete And Gold...

There you have it! How on earth did you get your hands on this? (I should know better than to ask because, yeah, it's you, but it's so interesting to know it actually exists.)

Something i'm noticing in these scans - the different colouring on the word 'black'. Is that a theme that runs throughout the songbook, ie. emphasis on colours?

Adelaide / Sydney, 2011
Brisbane / Sydney / Adelaide, 2015
Gold Coast, 2015 (Chevy Metal)
Philadelphia, 2016 (Chevy Metal)
Sydney, 2017 (Chevy Metal)
Adelaide / Brisbane / Sydney, 2018
Old November 1st 2017, 02:16 AM
Looking for a dime, but found a quarter

Very cool to see.
Thanks for sharing.

~July 12, 2003 (St. Paul)
~October 2, 2005 (St. Paul)
~February 27, 2008 (Minneapolis)
~September 14, 2011 (St. Paul)
~August 22, 2015 (St. Paul)
~October 18, 2018 (St. Paul)
Old November 1st 2017, 04:16 AM
Easy For YOU To Say

Quote:
Originally Posted by matineeidyll View Post
There you have it! How on earth did you get your hands on this? (I should know better than to ask because, yeah, it's you, but it's so interesting to know it actually exists.)

Something i'm noticing in these scans - the different colouring on the word 'black'. Is that a theme that runs throughout the songbook, ie. emphasis on colours?
Well I just bought it (still to ship) so I can't say for sure whether the "black" emphasis is carried on. It's shared in the song titles there too. And I'm assuming I have several pages and not just two as these are the only pics I have so far, but it should be a book with all lyrics Im guessing.

It was a plain old "ebaby" job - and while the Soldier page was highlighted by being turned to for the pic, there was no mention of the fact that it shouldn't even be there... that was my visual WTF.

I was and still partly am a bit concerned this might be the same as the lyric book that was released at Foo Arms, but logic says that one will have at the very least been "fixed" if not be quite different, and this one most definitely is New York US sourced.

Another thoughts - our three sided LP set was almost certainly going to be four sides, then perhaps a request came in to gift a song to PP, band then presumably has to think carefully about what to give given the subject it's supporting, so possibly any available "other" non album songs didn't fit. Soldier is decided on - then someone says hey you can master those to just three sides if you want - and someone says cool let's do an etching. Which is probably when they trawl through some lyrics for a catchy phrase and bangingontheceiling gets decided on.

All guesswork but I'm sure the truth will come out in the course of time. Dave can't help himself explaining things eventually lol

Listing blurb:
"This booklet was apparently given out to executives and record company insiders before the new record was announced to the press. NO mention that would in any way let you know that this was the Foo Fighters (except the new logo). Very guerilla-like publishing. Perfect condition. Hand sewn in cool gold thread. Not sure how many of these were done, but not likely many. None of these have shown up on the market. Very cool and painfully rare David Grohl collectible. The ultimate piece for the collector who thought they had everything."
Old November 1st 2017, 07:39 AM
Fooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FooZealand View Post
Well I just bought it (still to ship) so I can't say for sure whether the "black" emphasis is carried on. It's shared in the song titles there too. And I'm assuming I have several pages and not just two as these are the only pics I have so far, but it should be a book with all lyrics Im guessing.

It was a plain old "ebaby" job - and while the Soldier page was highlighted by being turned to for the pic, there was no mention of the fact that it shouldn't even be there... that was my visual WTF.

I was and still partly am a bit concerned this might be the same as the lyric book that was released at Foo Arms, but logic says that one will have at the very least been "fixed" if not be quite different, and this one most definitely is New York US sourced.

Another thoughts - our three sided LP set was almost certainly going to be four sides, then perhaps a request came in to gift a song to PP, band then presumably has to think carefully about what to give given the subject it's supporting, so possibly any available "other" non album songs didn't fit. Soldier is decided on - then someone says hey you can master those to just three sides if you want - and someone says cool let's do an etching. Which is probably when they trawl through some lyrics for a catchy phrase and bangingontheceiling gets decided on.

All guesswork but I'm sure the truth will come out in the course of time. Dave can't help himself explaining things eventually lol

Listing blurb:
"This booklet was apparently given out to executives and record company insiders before the new record was announced to the press. NO mention that would in any way let you know that this was the Foo Fighters (except the new logo). Very guerilla-like publishing. Perfect condition. Hand sewn in cool gold thread. Not sure how many of these were done, but not likely many. None of these have shown up on the market. Very cool and painfully rare David Grohl collectible. The ultimate piece for the collector who thought they had everything."
Bollocks. Was hoping no one would do the BIN! Damn you! DAMN YOU!!!!

Blurb says no way to tell it was for the new FF record...it has a pic of Dave in it!

Very glad you have decided to carry on collecting despite the LN fiasco.
O2 Arena,London,2017
Nos Alive Festival,Lisbon,2017
Accor Arena,Paris,France,2017
Cheese & Grain,Frome,2017
Krakow Tauron Arena,2015
Milton Keynes National Bowl,2015
Milton Keynes National Bowl,2015
Lancashire CCC Ground,2015
Invictus Closing Concert,2014
Sound City Players, London,2013
Leeds Fest,2012
Milton Keynes,2011
Wembley Stadium,2008
Manchester City Stadium,2008

Last edited by aprilshack : November 1st 2017 at 07:55 AM.
Old November 1st 2017, 10:55 AM
Have you found your way around

Nice
House of Vans, 11th September 2014
Islington Assembly Hall, 12th September 2014
Invictus Games, 14th September 2014
Wembley Stadium, 20th June 2015
o2 Arena, 19th September 2017
London Stadium, 22nd & 23rd June 2018
Future: Pula?
Easy For YOU To Say

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilshack View Post
Bollocks. Was hoping no one would do the BIN! Damn you! DAMN YOU!!!!

Blurb says no way to tell it was for the new FF record...it has a pic of Dave in it!

Very glad you have decided to carry on collecting despite the LN fiasco.
The photo was a giveaway for sure - I don't even think the seller caught the fact there is no album name even on the final release (except the spine) - point being it's not actually that different and IF you'd had this in your hands say Sept 1st 2017 you'd have pretty immediately known what it was.

When I saw what it meant it was too important to pass up - seller is in the book industry which maybe threw some watchers in thinking it was maybe "created" - but they are a 1998 member with utterly stellar feedback on rare books - so that's just impossible. I've asked for more details- it's obvious to me this was a passing industry "acquisition" but I'd definitely like to know how etc

It may prove to be really really rare - but either way I will scan it and put up links to high def pages.
FooArchive

The listing blurb is a little OTT. These were knocking around at the playback @ Metropolis Studios back in June (and probably wherever else they held playbacks for the press).

"FooArchive? It's a wealth of information." - Dave Grohl
Old November 1st 2017, 08:44 PM
Easy For YOU To Say

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjonze View Post
The listing blurb is a little OTT. These were knocking around at the playback @ Metropolis Studios back in June (and probably wherever else they held playbacks for the press).
Proof? I find that incredibly hard to believe - that they were handing out track and lyric listings to the press. Dave says "Just keep it to yourself for 3 months"?
Old November 1st 2017, 09:16 PM
The Sidekick

Actually yeah I remember someone posting this on instagram after the London listening party, although they only showed the cover.

I think it's pretty standard to expect the press to keep everything private, anyone that doesn't would soon lose future invites and opportunities. I mean they all kept 'Run' secret, they all had articles ready to publish the second it went live.

Also someone just posted this on reddit to confirm:

Quote:
I have this book because in June I was invited (well, my radio station was) to a playback in a London. All attendees got one (along with some canapťs & beers that were A+) Soldier wasnít played. They knew then the CD was 11 songs.

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Old November 1st 2017, 09:21 PM
FooArchive

Quote:
Proof? I find that incredibly hard to believe - that they were handing out track and lyric listings to the press. Dave says "Just keep it to yourself for 3 months"?
Well, you can think whatever you want because that’s exactly what happened. The XFM dj who was there made a video holding his up, someone else took a pic and put it on Instagram & here it is date/time stamped in my photo stream.

https://imgur.com/a/cfsO1

Also, the track listing had already been revealed before the London playback.

"FooArchive? It's a wealth of information." - Dave Grohl

Last edited by pjonze : November 1st 2017 at 09:42 PM.
Old November 1st 2017, 11:14 PM
How Do You Do

I wish Soldier was kept on the album! What a shame

Admin @FooFightersUK
Old November 1st 2017, 11:48 PM
Good Grief

I still think that book is pretty cool. Shockingly the auction FooZealand won was actually a relist. I watched it last week and almost bid but was skeptical. It ended with zero bids and the same starting price of $50. Reference below

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FOO-FIGHTER...edirect=mobile
Old November 2nd 2017, 01:54 AM
Easy For YOU To Say

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjonze View Post
Well, you can think whatever you want because thatís exactly what happened. The XFM dj who was there made a video holding his up, someone else took a pic and put it on Instagram & here it is date/time stamped in my photo stream.

https://imgur.com/a/cfsO1

Also, the track listing had already been revealed before the London playback.
Ive had further proof on Reddit. My real disbelief stemmed from the fact that nobody shared the contents and even more unbelievably nobody raised a peep about the released album being missing a song. Quite incredible and yes I see confirmation that the 11 tracks were known then in June and only 11 were played.
Old November 2nd 2017, 02:09 AM
Easy For YOU To Say

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Actually yeah I remember someone posting this on instagram after the London listening party, although they only showed the cover.

I think it's pretty standard to expect the press to keep everything private, anyone that doesn't would soon lose future invites and opportunities. I mean they all kept 'Run' secret, they all had articles ready to publish the second it went live.

Also someone just posted this on reddit to confirm:
Yes saw that was posted some time after my disbelief. Meant all those attendees leaked no lyrics and no titles prior to launch, and then STILL kept quiet about Soldier having been "missing" AFTER launch.

The last bit really probably was the main reason for my "Surely not" response, along with the if we knew the book existed why did nobody mention it... but I accept now it's all totally quite true.

We've had this discussion a few times over the years and when it comes down to it even radio stations get advance notice on releases etc and say nothing. So the secrecy part is kinda standard, though I'm more surprised with lyrics going out as well, then again the trust is either there or not.

And if only the front cover was shown then nobody was any the wiser.
Old November 2nd 2017, 02:22 AM
Easy For YOU To Say

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo_R_U View Post
I still think that book is pretty cool. Shockingly the auction FooZealand won was actually a relist. I watched it last week and almost bid but was skeptical. It ended with zero bids and the same starting price of $50. Reference below

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FOO-FIGHTER...edirect=mobile
Yeah arguably overpaid - I had a question in with a much lower offer. It went unanswered. I didn't see the original - $50 would have been a pretty great buy. I knew it felt very real and I had no knowledge of the June stuff - only the similar Foo Arms book. Based on a feeling of importance and rarity over sitting waiting I decided based on importance vs what I might pay for a foil it was worth just grabbing.

Either way I still definitely rate it given the Soldier aspect - and there is definitely a story of some kind to be resolved out of it.

Did they (pretty carefully) print it up like that around early June thinking that was the album? Or was it just a very close best guess? Did Planned Parenthood come along between the printer order and the listening party and cause the change, or did they decide it themselves that it just want working and didn't make the cut, then later kinda just "dump" it on PP.

It would be nice to think it was deliberately removed to help PP and Dave's Australian comments seem to me to kinda support that.

More to the point from another angle - does all of it mean there were really ONLY 12 songs in the first place? If so then (CD media non-existence aside) there will be no "B-Sides"... there are seemingly no spare songs left.

Last edited by FooZealand : November 2nd 2017 at 02:24 AM.
Old November 2nd 2017, 02:57 AM
Good Grief

Quote:
Yeah arguably overpaid - I had a question in with a much lower offer.
My bad.... I wasn’t trying to say you overpaid. Haha we both know people could argue to the moon and back that I’ve overpaid for many foo items (especially foils). I was just pointing out that I was shocked that it basically went unnoticed last week and how I was unsure of it’s authenticity. Hindsight, I wish I would’ve bid last week but that’s how it goes. The good news is it’s in good hands now

Last edited by Foo_R_U : November 2nd 2017 at 09:42 PM.
Old November 2nd 2017, 05:59 AM
Visiting is pretty...

and now we have the lyrics to Soldier! Thank you!
Old November 6th 2017, 07:57 PM
Easy For YOU To Say

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo_R_U View Post
My bad.... I wasnít trying to say you overpaid. Haha we both know people could argue to the moon and back that Iíve overpaid for many foo items (especially foils). I was just pointing out that I was shocked that it basically went unnoticed last week and how I was unsure of itís authenticity. Hindsight, I wish I wouldíve bid last week but thatís how it goes. The good news is itís in good hands now
No I didn't take that you were saying that either, it was just my own comment given the price -. But exactly like you I know I've probably paid too much for some things. It's tough to really compare this to anything much - but thinking about tour itinerary books I thought it was maybe too much. But yeah the soldier inclusion probably makes the difference.

I must be getting bad - I knew immediately it was genuine, still can't believe nobody bought it at $50
Old November 7th 2017, 09:42 AM
Have you found your way around

Quote:
No I didn't take that you were saying that either, it was just my own comment given the price -. But exactly like you I know I've probably paid too much for some things. It's tough to really compare this to anything much - but thinking about tour itinerary books I thought it was maybe too much. But yeah the soldier inclusion probably makes the difference.

I must be getting bad - I knew immediately it was genuine, still can't believe nobody bought it at $50
I honestly think this comes down to things not appearing in the searches on the ebay app. If I check ebay.co.uk it may or may not appear, yet if I go onto the .com website generally some stuff appears that doesn't on the other two.

And that is with changing the search parameters for Worldwide and anything else useful.

Just what I've noticed a few times over the last few years.

Had I seen it at that price or at all I would have at least watched it.
House of Vans, 11th September 2014
Islington Assembly Hall, 12th September 2014
Invictus Games, 14th September 2014
Wembley Stadium, 20th June 2015
o2 Arena, 19th September 2017
London Stadium, 22nd & 23rd June 2018
Future: Pula?