Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > Tour Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old September 23rd 2014, 01:51 PM
Jamilia's Avatar
Jamilia Jamilia is offline
Have you found your way around
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Belgium
Posts: 1,322
Default Fan forum joins forces with Kickstarter to fund Foo Fighters gig

Just posting the press release here. Visit the Kickstarter page and pledge!

Quote:
Fan Forum Joins Forces With Kickstarter to fund FOO FIGHTERS Gig
A Foo Fighters gig, organised by the fans for the fans - no more UK touts

A UK Foo Fighters Facebook fan base has received approval from the American based organisation Kickstarter to attempt to fund the UK's first ever crowd sourced gig starring the US rock giants.

foofightersuk.com aim to host a small (3000) capacity gig by Foo Fighters as a pre-tour warm-up when the band hit the UK on their Sonic Highways tour in 2015.

Fans pledge £50 a ticket or can offer smaller amounts if they're unable to attend the gig but want to support the project.

Organiser Kelly Gaffney states: “By doing this we are putting the power of ticket sales back into the hands of the fans, not the touts. We are hoping to get support from politicians to raise awareness of the ticket touting business within the UK and hope to get media coverage to not only promote our event but to help get the laws changed against ticket touts.”

If 3000 tickets are sold and £150,000 raised formal approaches are made to the band's management and venues - the aim is to hold the gig in Birmingham.

The Foo Fighters have form here, having just performed a similar gig in their native USA. Dave Grohl said: “For the past 20 years we always decided who we're going to play with and where we're going to play. But now, if we hear that people want us to come somewhere, maybe we'll come there.”

The website went live 19/9 and has already raised over £50,000.
Question or problems? Contact the organisers at:

foofightersuk.com
facebook.com/foofamiluk
kelly.gaffney@foofightersuk.com
__________________
BENEFOO - Belgian & Dutch Foo Fighters fans on Facebook

Milton Keynes II 2011 | Pukkelpop 2011 | Rock en Seine 2011 | Villa Manin 2012 | Pukkelpop 2012 | Reading 2012 | The Forum 2013 (SCP) | Wembley Stadium II
Milton Keynes I 2015 | Köhln 2015 | Rock Werchter 2017 | AccorHotels Arena Paris 2017 | NOS Alive 2017 | Sportpaleis Antwerp 2018 | Olympic Stadium II 2018
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old September 23rd 2014, 02:06 PM
pjonze's Avatar
pjonze pjonze is offline
FooArchive
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Liverpool, UK
Posts: 6,106
Default Re: Fan forum joins forces with Kickstarter to fund Foo Fighters gig

I'm still at a loss to understand what exactly their model for 'beating the touts' actually is?
__________________
webmaster - www.FooArchive.com

"FooArchive? It's a wealth of information." - Dave Grohl
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old September 23rd 2014, 02:14 PM
O.B.gene's Avatar
O.B.gene O.B.gene is offline
How Do You Do
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Southend, Essex
Posts: 25,851
Default Re: Fan forum joins forces with Kickstarter to fund Foo Fighters gig

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjonze View Post
I'm still at a loss to understand what exactly their model for 'beating the touts' actually is?
I think it's going on the presumption that touts can't physically click the link to the kickstarter page, so won't be able to buy 4-6 tickets and sell them off at a larger price outside the venue. I think.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old September 23rd 2014, 02:26 PM
pjonze's Avatar
pjonze pjonze is offline
FooArchive
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Liverpool, UK
Posts: 6,106
Default Re: Fan forum joins forces with Kickstarter to fund Foo Fighters gig

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.B.gene View Post
I think it's going on the presumption that touts can't physically click the link to the kickstarter page, so won't be able to buy 4-6 tickets and sell them off at a larger price outside the venue. I think.
Oh. And there was me thinking they hadn't thought this through.
__________________
webmaster - www.FooArchive.com

"FooArchive? It's a wealth of information." - Dave Grohl
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old September 23rd 2014, 02:38 PM
Jamilia's Avatar
Jamilia Jamilia is offline
Have you found your way around
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Belgium
Posts: 1,322
Default Re: Fan forum joins forces with Kickstarter to fund Foo Fighters gig

DonnaInVA has also asked this (on a Facebook page) and this is what the organisers answered:

"You can only buy a maximum of six tickets. You need the card you bought them with and ALL members of your party at the door at the same time. Not many touts can be assed to go through all that. You'll find it very difficult to illiminate touts all together, this is a very good start though. It wasn't sold out in ten minutes with them all on getmein at ten times face value so it's a good start [...] Our plan is to have a no re entry policy too."
__________________
BENEFOO - Belgian & Dutch Foo Fighters fans on Facebook

Milton Keynes II 2011 | Pukkelpop 2011 | Rock en Seine 2011 | Villa Manin 2012 | Pukkelpop 2012 | Reading 2012 | The Forum 2013 (SCP) | Wembley Stadium II
Milton Keynes I 2015 | Köhln 2015 | Rock Werchter 2017 | AccorHotels Arena Paris 2017 | NOS Alive 2017 | Sportpaleis Antwerp 2018 | Olympic Stadium II 2018
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old September 23rd 2014, 02:47 PM
matineeidyll's Avatar
matineeidyll matineeidyll is offline
Ready on your mark
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Newcastle, Australia
Posts: 1,453
Default Re: Fan forum joins forces with Kickstarter to fund Foo Fighters gig

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjonze View Post
I'm still at a loss to understand what exactly their model for 'beating the touts' actually is?
I'm at a loss as to why this needs a press release.
__________________
Adelaide / Sydney, 2011
Brisbane / Sydney / Adelaide, 2015
Gold Coast, 2015 (Chevy Metal)
Philadelphia, 2016 (Chevy Metal)
Sydney, 2017 (Chevy Metal)
Adelaide / Brisbane / Sydney, 2018

FooFightersLive.com
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old September 23rd 2014, 02:57 PM
aprilshack's Avatar
aprilshack aprilshack is offline
Fooper!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Merseyside, uk.
Posts: 10,447
Default Re: Fan forum joins forces with Kickstarter to fund Foo Fighters gig

At the end of the day good luck to them, even of you think the reasoning is flawed.I'm in.Nothing to loose.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old September 23rd 2014, 03:03 PM
matineeidyll's Avatar
matineeidyll matineeidyll is offline
Ready on your mark
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Newcastle, Australia
Posts: 1,453
Default Re: Fan forum joins forces with Kickstarter to fund Foo Fighters gig

Oh, i'm down with the fundamental reasoning of it all - get a gig. Just the method could be better. Can't help it. The old PR girl in me wants to proofread and reformat the shit out of it.
__________________
Adelaide / Sydney, 2011
Brisbane / Sydney / Adelaide, 2015
Gold Coast, 2015 (Chevy Metal)
Philadelphia, 2016 (Chevy Metal)
Sydney, 2017 (Chevy Metal)
Adelaide / Brisbane / Sydney, 2018

FooFightersLive.com
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old September 23rd 2014, 03:06 PM
aprilshack's Avatar
aprilshack aprilshack is offline
Fooper!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Merseyside, uk.
Posts: 10,447
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by matineeidyll View Post
Oh, i'm down with the fundamental reasoning of it all - get a gig. Just the method could be better. Can't help it. The old PR girl in me wants to proofread and reformat the shit out of it.
Email them and offer to help! You may get a free ticket if it takes off!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old September 23rd 2014, 03:14 PM
DaveJK's Avatar
DaveJK DaveJK is offline
Visiting is pretty...
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 67
Default Re: Fan forum joins forces with Kickstarter to fund Foo Fighters gig

I'm in. You just never know with the Foos.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old September 23rd 2014, 03:28 PM
pjonze's Avatar
pjonze pjonze is offline
FooArchive
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Liverpool, UK
Posts: 6,106
Default Re: Fan forum joins forces with Kickstarter to fund Foo Fighters gig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamilia View Post
DonnaInVA has also asked this (on a Facebook page) and this is what the organisers answered:

"You can only buy a maximum of six tickets. You need the card you bought them with and ALL members of your party at the door at the same time. Not many touts can be assed to go through all that. You'll find it very difficult to illiminate touts all together, this is a very good start though. It wasn't sold out in ten minutes with them all on getmein at ten times face value so it's a good start [...] Our plan is to have a no re entry policy too."
So, not only do they need to find a venue for 3 thousand people it needs to be run by venue owner who's willing to ensure that his door staff go above and beyond what they usually do? Hmmm.
__________________
webmaster - www.FooArchive.com

"FooArchive? It's a wealth of information." - Dave Grohl
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old September 23rd 2014, 03:33 PM
Simon's Avatar
Simon Simon is offline
The Sidekick
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 29,176
Default Re: Fan forum joins forces with Kickstarter to fund Foo Fighters gig

I think they underestimate touts. If there is a few hundred quid to be made they will absolutely be willing to sell tickets at a huge markup, go along to the venue with the people who bought them and take them in with no shame. Walk out with £500 profit or whatever, job done.
__________________

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old September 23rd 2014, 03:42 PM
Jamilia's Avatar
Jamilia Jamilia is offline
Have you found your way around
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Belgium
Posts: 1,322
Default Re: Fan forum joins forces with Kickstarter to fund Foo Fighters gig

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjonze View Post
So, not only do they need to find a venue for 3 thousand people it needs to be run by venue owner who's willing to ensure that his door staff go above and beyond what they usually do? Hmmm.
I have no idea if they have thought about that and if so, how they are going to solve it etc. I'm just the messenger but I'll pass on the remarks.
__________________
BENEFOO - Belgian & Dutch Foo Fighters fans on Facebook

Milton Keynes II 2011 | Pukkelpop 2011 | Rock en Seine 2011 | Villa Manin 2012 | Pukkelpop 2012 | Reading 2012 | The Forum 2013 (SCP) | Wembley Stadium II
Milton Keynes I 2015 | Köhln 2015 | Rock Werchter 2017 | AccorHotels Arena Paris 2017 | NOS Alive 2017 | Sportpaleis Antwerp 2018 | Olympic Stadium II 2018

Last edited by Jamilia : September 23rd 2014 at 03:45 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old September 23rd 2014, 03:48 PM
O.B.gene's Avatar
O.B.gene O.B.gene is offline
How Do You Do
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Southend, Essex
Posts: 25,851
Default Re: Fan forum joins forces with Kickstarter to fund Foo Fighters gig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
I think they underestimate touts. If there is a few hundred quid to be made they will absolutely be willing to sell tickets at a huge markup, go along to the venue with the people who bought them and take them in with no shame. Walk out with £500 profit or whatever, job done.
and they could do that all evening
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old September 23rd 2014, 04:31 PM
Bexster's Avatar
Bexster Bexster is offline
Raider of Lost Arks
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chillin out, maxing, relaxing all cool
Posts: 25,992
Default Re: Fan forum joins forces with Kickstarter to fund Foo Fighters gig

Exactly. Easy enough to find a way round it if they want the money.

Ok, it would be nice if it works, but I'm put off by the £50 a ticket price tag. That's more than I'd pay anyway for a ticket.
__________________
Calippos are made from calipers and hippos

Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old September 23rd 2014, 07:16 PM
DonnaInVA's Avatar
DonnaInVA DonnaInVA is offline
Harriet Jones, MP for Flydale North
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: VA
Posts: 102,697
Default Re: Fan forum joins forces with Kickstarter to fund Foo Fighters gig

Whatever you do, don't raise these questions on the FB page---they'll take you down faster than a Secret Service agent at the White House.
wait......that doesn't make sense.....

I personally woul'dve paid $200 for the RIC show, I know one guy paid $400 for his ticket.
__________________
This album was made in Virginia. TINLTL
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old September 23rd 2014, 08:11 PM
mingo05's Avatar
mingo05 mingo05 is offline
Colors inside the lines
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Iowa City, Ohio, the great potato state
Posts: 25,150
Default Re: Fan forum joins forces with Kickstarter to fund Foo Fighters gig

What do they do? Tattle to an admin? From what I've seen over there, some of them can be pretty nasty and don't get banned. Maybe it's whoever gets to the admin first?

At least one of guys that organized RVA is a professional marketer with experience in advertising, right? With that background, they had a leg up in my opinion. I really glad it worked but can't see it happening again any time soon.
__________________
aka Cheryl from Iowa

*wears a helmet at all times*
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old September 23rd 2014, 08:14 PM
DonnaInVA's Avatar
DonnaInVA DonnaInVA is offline
Harriet Jones, MP for Flydale North
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: VA
Posts: 102,697
Default Re: Fan forum joins forces with Kickstarter to fund Foo Fighters gig

Quote:
Originally Posted by mingo05 View Post
What do they do? Tattle to an admin? From what I've seen over there, some of them can be pretty nasty and don't get banned. Maybe it's whoever gets to the admin first?

At least one of guys that organized RVA is a professional marketer with experience in advertising, right? With that background, they had a leg up in my opinion. I really glad it worked but can't see it happening again any time soon.
All four guys have a background in advertising
__________________
This album was made in Virginia. TINLTL
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old September 24th 2014, 01:47 AM
Juls Juls is offline
Cause everyone's just too weird
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: over by there
Posts: 9,376
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaInVA View Post
Whatever you do, don't raise these questions on the FB page---they'll take you down faster than a Secret Service agent at the White House.
wait......that doesn't make sense.....

I personally woul'dve paid $200 for the RIC show, I know one guy paid $400 for his ticket.
Haha!!!

The only way to beat the touts is to do as glastonbury does, pre order with a photo. Even they have had problems but it's worked pretty well.

As for this.......if it works then yay for those who bought tickets but the cynical side of me is more in the train of thought that Richmond was a one off.

Bandwagon and jumping come to mind now. Also, what happens to all the interest earnt (or with bank rates so low, the little bit of interest earnt!) on the money people pay? The same thought crossed my mind with the US gig
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old September 24th 2014, 03:16 AM
DonnaInVA's Avatar
DonnaInVA DonnaInVA is offline
Harriet Jones, MP for Flydale North
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: VA
Posts: 102,697
Default Re: Fan forum joins forces with Kickstarter to fund Foo Fighters gig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juls View Post
Haha!!!

The only way to beat the touts is to do as glastonbury does, pre order with a photo. Even they have had problems but it's worked pretty well.

As for this.......if it works then yay for those who bought tickets but the cynical side of me is more in the train of thought that Richmond was a one off.

Bandwagon and jumping come to mind now. Also, what happens to all the interest earnt (or with bank rates so low, the little bit of interest earnt!) on the money people pay? The same thought crossed my mind with the US gig
No money actually changed hands (as far as I know) until we lined up at yhe box office, day of show & got our wristbands. Even the two companies who each bought a bunch and gave them away, they had to show up that morning to pay for them.
__________________
This album was made in Virginia. TINLTL
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.