Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old September 22nd 2017, 02:59 AM
The Sidekick

Default Re: 'Concrete and Gold' discussion thread

As you were, folks.

Can't remember if I posted my thoughts here yet, but on the whole I find it a very enjoyable album. There is a lot going on in a lot of the songs and whilst sometimes things get a little too clogged, for the most part I like that they've got more layers, and clearly Greg has had an influence there.

After maybe two dozen listens now there are only two songs not really grabbing me, 'Happy Ever After' and the title track. I don't dislike them, just not doing much for me. Maybe they'll grow, maybe not.

Love how gnarly 'La Dee Da' sounds, more distorted bass from Nate in future please! Wasn't totally sold on it live but with the vocal effect and all the sounds going on, it really kicks ass.

As most people have said 'Make It Right' is totally 70s and sounds a bit like a Taylor song, but it's pretty enjoyable. Dirty Water just has....something. It's not a traditional builder like 'Come Alive' but the transition works well. 'Arrows' is more typical Foo but it's catchy, I like the chorus.

'The Line' I've warmed to since the solo release, not mindblowing or going to trouble my top 20 but a solid song.

As I've already mentioned, just the two I'm not keen on. I like a lot of the softer Foo songs but 'Happy Ever After' just feels like it's trying too much to sound Beatles, and is a bit repetetive with no real hook.

The title track just wasn't what I was expected from the previews and hype. It's ok, but it doesn't really do much and I was never really a Pink Floyd fan, not my cup of tea. It falls into the same place as songs like 'Subterranean' for me, it's just there, doesn't do anything for me either way.

On the whole, definitely liking it a lot more than SH. With that album it always feels like it's over half way through for me, but this is solid all the way through with a few ups and downs.

I think they made the right decision to try something new with Greg. They were never going to completely change, they'll always sound like FF, but I like how they've moved things on in small ways.

Solid album that feels like it'll only grow on me more.

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Old September 22nd 2017, 12:05 PM
Have you found your way around

Had a few hours in the car yesterday I was able to finally get a good listen.

You can't dismiss the difference here. Greg Kurstin is amazing and made this interesting. I want to be a backup singer on any of the new songs. I'm sort of digging the la-las and ahhhhhh ahhhhhhh ah ahhhhhhhhhs.

Dirty Water ramps up the way any good Foo rock song should yet has a different feel. Little bit of 70's southern Cal sound at the beginning but the end it's Foos.

Make it Right seriously fuck Timberlake I want to yell the lalas at the top of my lungs.

Arrows is great, another solid Foo ramp up that doesn't quit and could actually be my second favorite and not the 3rd.

LaDe da - I like it a lot and it's completely out there and doesn't match the 3 above at all. I like this better on the album than live.

TSIAN- LOVE, and I loved it when I saw it live at Metro in Chicago. This is the song I'd like to see the backup singers disappear and peel back a few layers. Had I not seen it live, I might not feel this way but damn was it good. They killed it that night.

Run- Badass and when Dave says run for your life with me, I say OK! He means it - run for your life and i'm not a big deep song meaning person but it means don't stop keep going, do what you do and what's important to you dont' waste a second.

Thankfully I' don't hear Cold Play anymore when I listen to The Line.

Greg Kurstin is seriously into the retro vibe. If I were Dave I'd say fuck it too and go for a choir and extras I think it's "fun" which is a stupid word here but Foos are fun that's what we all love about them. Willing to try things and make it interesting and at the same time there are some break outs on this album.

Not into C&G and a few of the others. I can see a lot of these songs being used for movies, TV commercials. We'll see.
Metro, Chicago, Lollapalooza 2012
Milwaukee, WI Wasting Light Tour 2012
Cubby Bear, Sonic Highways Chicago, 2014
Indianapolis, Sonic Highways IN 2015
Chicago, IL Wrigley 2015
Metro, Chicago, Lollapalooza 2017
Madison, WI 2017
Champaign, IL 2017
Indy 2018
Wrigley 2018 x 2
Old September 22nd 2017, 03:26 PM
I'm amazed that I'm still standing...

This album gets better and better to me on subsequent listens. I have let it ride from front to back from day one on and I think it holds up extremely well. This is one I will revisit quite often.
Old September 22nd 2017, 05:50 PM
How Do You Do

Foos #1 UK Album Charts! http://www.officialcharts.com/chart-...d-gold__20501/

Admin @FooFightersUK
Old September 22nd 2017, 06:19 PM
I'll Stick Around

I've had a few listens of the album from start to finish now. Its a great album, although, and I know I'm in the minority here, I thought Sonic Highways was a great album and I am not sure if I can place this above that in my Foo rankings. They are both very different.

Unlike Simon I am a fan of the heavier Foo Fighters songs, Run, Make it Right, La Dee Da and The Line are the best songs on the album for me. The others are all good too, although with the album opener T-Shirt, I think its a little too short although I know that its only an Intro song similar in purpose to Doll. I also think that the final track, Concrete and Gold, has been overrated. I am hearing it being described as the "heaviest Foo Fighters song ever", which it just totally isn't.

So all in all a good album, if a little short at only 11 tracks, but isn't that becoming the norm these days ?

14/09/2014, 23/06/2018
Old September 22nd 2017, 06:40 PM
I'd rather leave than suffer this

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.B.gene View Post
That's because we have all bought several versions
Old September 22nd 2017, 08:07 PM
Everything fades in time it's true...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Dog View Post
That's because we have all bought several versions
Nice one, and you're probably right! I will have 4 in total but only 2 will count towards the UK chart!
The O2 Arena 18-1-07
Wembley Stadium 6 & 7-8-08
Milton Keynes Bowl 3-7-11
Reading Festival 26-8-12
AccorHotels Arena 3-7-17
The O2 Arena 19-9-17
The Royal Albert Hall 21-9-17
Etihad Stadium 19-6-18
London Stadium 22 & 23-6-18
Pula Arena 18 & 19-6-19
Bellahouston Park 17-8-19
Vital Festival 19-8-19
RDS Arena 21-8-19
Leeds Festival 23-8-19
Reading Festival 25-8-19

Dave's Foo Flickr
Old September 22nd 2017, 10:10 PM
The Boss

Simon warms my heart.
Old September 22nd 2017, 10:52 PM
The Sidekick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgm84 View Post
I've had a few listens of the album from start to finish now. Its a great album, although, and I know I'm in the minority here, I thought Sonic Highways was a great album and I am not sure if I can place this above that in my Foo rankings. They are both very different.

Unlike Simon I am a fan of the heavier Foo Fighters songs,
Run, Make it Right, La Dee Da and The Line are the best songs on the album for me. The others are all good too, although with the album opener T-Shirt, I think its a little too short although I know that its only an Intro song similar in purpose to Doll. I also think that the final track, Concrete and Gold, has been overrated. I am hearing it being described as the "heaviest Foo Fighters song ever", which it just totally isn't.

So all in all a good album, if a little short at only 11 tracks, but isn't that becoming the norm these days ?
What gave you that idea?! I love the heavy stuff! I didn't mention Run just because it wasn't new, but I love it. The Line as I say I've definitely warmed to, solid song. I never like to rank songs because they're not really quantifiable like that, but if I were to put them into love/like/indifferent I'd go

Love

Run
La Dee Da
Dirty Water
Arrows

Make It Right
Sky Is A Neighborhood
Sunday Rain
The Line

Indifferent

Happy Ever After
Concrete And Gold

I don't include T-Shirt just because it's really an intro, doesn't really feel long enough to say much about.

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Old September 24th 2017, 12:32 AM
Looking for a dime, but found a quarter

It is so fun to get lost in a new Foo album every time one comes out.
I already posted my review on page 43 of this thread, but I love refreshing this page to see what others say about each song.

While stuck in MPLS traffic last night, I made some notes about what timeline/song each of the new songs reminds me of in Foo lore.

Here goes:
T-Shirt could easily fit into the Echoes era.
Run sounds like it would have worked on Wasting Light.
Make It Right is it's own sound (a great one), but seems like it could have been done during the TINLTL sessions.
Neighborhood: see Make It Right ^.
La Dee Da reminds me of Them Crooked Vultures/In Your Honor disc 1/Feast and the Famine.
Dirty Water is very Echoes era.
Arrows sounds like it could have fit on In Your Honor disc 1 if it had better/crisper production.
Zero Hour would have fit in great on In Your Honor disc 2, right after On the Mend.
Sunday Rain is also In Your Honorish.
The Line totally makes me think of Normal and what the $1MM demo tunes may have sounded like.
Concrete + Gold sounds like a sibling to February Stars. I don't love this song, but I do think that Rami makes it with his work after the first chorus. It turns the song into a dessert or western movie scene.

~July 12, 2003 (St. Paul)
~October 2, 2005 (St. Paul)
~February 27, 2008 (Minneapolis)
~September 14, 2011 (St. Paul)
~August 22, 2015 (St. Paul)
~October 18, 2018 (St. Paul)
Old September 24th 2017, 06:17 PM
Never knowing who to believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnebagoHalo14 View Post
It is so fun to get lost in a new Foo album every time one comes out.
I already posted my review on page 43 of this thread, but I love refreshing this page to see what others say about each song.

While stuck in MPLS traffic last night, I made some notes about what timeline/song each of the new songs reminds me of in Foo lore.

Here goes:
T-Shirt could easily fit into the Echoes era.
Run sounds like it would have worked on Wasting Light.
Make It Right is it's own sound (a great one), but seems like it could have been done during the TINLTL sessions.
Neighborhood: see Make It Right ^.
La Dee Da reminds me of Them Crooked Vultures/In Your Honor disc 1/Feast and the Famine.
Dirty Water is very Echoes era.
Arrows sounds like it could have fit on In Your Honor disc 1 if it had better/crisper production.
Zero Hour would have fit in great on In Your Honor disc 2, right after On the Mend.
Sunday Rain is also In Your Honorish.
The Line totally makes me think of Normal and what the $1MM demo tunes may have sounded like.
Concrete + Gold sounds like a sibling to February Stars. I don't love this song, but I do think that Rami makes it with his work after the first chorus. It turns the song into a dessert or western movie scene.
The Million Dollar Demos are out now.

Last edited by E. Stacked Actor : September 25th 2017 at 02:59 AM.
Old September 24th 2017, 10:09 PM
Cause everyone's just too weird

"I don't wanna be queen..."

(Cue Queen-style vocal harmonies...)
Old September 25th 2017, 01:11 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by markofoo View Post
So I was pretty pumped finally getting to listen to the album over the weekend after really digging the first 2 singles Run and TSITN. But the rest of the album hasn't really clicked with me yet. Maybe it's the classic rock vibe that is apparent throughout, not a huge 70's - 80's music fan.
Just updating my initial impressions. After a week longer with the album, La Dee Da and Arrows are my other standout tracks with Make it Right and Dirty Water slowly growing on me.
Old September 25th 2017, 02:59 AM
Never knowing who to believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFooFan View Post
"I don't wanna be queen..."

(Cue Queen-style vocal harmonies...)
That was totally intentional!

Old September 25th 2017, 10:46 AM
Raider of Lost Arks

Have done my, headphones on, singing round the kitchen test, and most of it works and it's fun to sing along to. Concrete and Gold definitely doesn't work here though.

Still don't have a favourite, but I'm generally finding myself with Arrows, Dirty Water, SIAN, or La Dee Da stuck in my head at various times. I am really enjoying this album a lot.

Old September 25th 2017, 12:30 PM

Im probably the only one but I really think Concrete and Gold is one of the best songs on the album. Probably my favourite after Run.

EDIT : No and Im not a Pink Floyd fan.
Old September 25th 2017, 12:35 PM
How Do You Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo3001 View Post
Im probably the only one but I really think Concrete and Gold is one of the best songs on the album. Probably my favourite after Run.

EDIT : No and Im not a Pink Floyd fan.
you must be a Pink Floyd fan

Admin @FooFightersUK
Old September 25th 2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
you must be a Pink Floyd fan
I could be, I just dont know it myself!
Old September 25th 2017, 01:13 PM
I'll Stick Around

I have to confess I like Concrete and Gold too - but then I like Pink Floyd

There are a couple of tracks that need to grow on me, but I'm very happy overall.
Old September 25th 2017, 01:34 PM
Right down the drain I go

Concrete and gold is so dull to me, I enjoy the rest of the album though