Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > Tour Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old January 25th 2018, 12:41 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Default Re: Australia & New Zealand Tour 2018

I find it weird they would do a stack of covers to give Dave's voice a rest. In lieu of covers, can't they just play FF songs that don't require Dave to scream balls the whole time?
Old January 25th 2018, 12:57 AM
Lions, and tigers, and bears! Oh, my!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russticles View Post
I find it weird they would do a stack of covers to give Dave's voice a rest. In lieu of covers, can't they just play FF songs that don't require Dave to scream balls the whole time?
Well they are a bit limited since Dave does pretty much all the vocals and even without the screamy stuff it's still hard on his vocal chords. Apart from Cold Day and Sunday Rain the tracks that Taylor or Chris do lead vocals on are all covers.
Old January 25th 2018, 01:13 AM
Times Like These

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo. View Post
'We're gonna play songs from every record! But only if we pretend Sonic Highways doesn't exist!'
And neither does St. Cecilia
05/01/2018 Rupp Arena, Lexington KY
07/26/2018 Noblesville Indiana

09/20/2019- Bourbon & Beyond Louisville KY
Old January 25th 2018, 07:26 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wol View Post
Is that what they said?
Nooo. I want to hang on to the (ok, mostly only theoretical) possibility that they might play Outside.

I'd love them to nick the Elvis Costello 'Wheel of Fortune' idea and put all the stuff they hardly ever/never play on it. Not for the whole set, so they could still set up the pace, decide the flow etc. But they could throw 20 minutes at it.
Old January 25th 2018, 07:49 AM
Visiting is pretty...

They would probably have to preface that section with 'this might be a bit shit' because they couldn't reasonably polish up 200 songs to top notch standard. So it wouldn't happen. But still love the idea.
Old January 25th 2018, 08:57 AM
Easy For YOU To Say

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellYeah View Post
They would probably have to preface that section with 'this might be a bit shit' because they couldn't reasonably polish up 200 songs to top notch standard. So it wouldn't happen. But still love the idea.
Well it fucking SHOULD happen - I don't care who you are or what or how much you've done, if you are a millionaire musician making ever increasing amounts of cash (and they all are) and you care about your craft and your fans...

You just stand up every now and then and say:

"Fuck the set list - this is "By Request Night" ...what do you motherfuckers wanna hear?"

No matter how good or bad it turns out - can you imagine the boost to rep and sales you get from the news cycle and hope the next gig YOU go to will be the same?

And younger/newer fans that were there might well go "well we didn't know 90% of the songs", but I bet they then also go "but fuck man I'm gonna buy those albums now..."

I do scratch my head sometimes - personal fan and event security is one thing but locking down/out musically challenging situations is really 180 degrees from where I had hoped they'd be by now.

I was there
Old January 25th 2018, 09:05 AM
Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by FooZealand View Post
Well it fucking SHOULD happen - I don't care who you are or what or how much you've done, if you are a millionaire musician making ever increasing amounts of cash (and they all are) and you care about your craft and your fans...

"Fuck the set list - this is "By Request Night" ...what do you motherfuckers wanna hear?"

No matter how good or bad it turns out - can you imagine the boost to rep and sales you get from the news cycle and hope the next gig YOU go to will be the same?

And younger/newer fans that were there might well go "well we didn't know 90% of the songs", but I bet they then also go "but fuck man I'm gonna buy those albums now..."

I do scratch my head sometimes - personal fan and event security is one thing but locking down/out musically challenging situations is really 180 degrees from where I had hoped they'd be by now.
Fucking amen!
Old January 25th 2018, 10:47 AM
Oooh oh ooooh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvia F View Post
"not the eighth album - that was fucked up"

This is terrible. I love SH. I hate Dave feels that way about it
Quote:
I am totally fine with it - it's not got one song I couldn't get into and most of them I really like. Outside for me could be as permanently on a set list as any of the other stuff and I'd prefer it to a bunch that are ever-there.

I think it's the entire process and the fact it wasn't really an album designed as an album that has gotten to Dave - and I'm not even sure it has gotten to Dave or actually just gotten to where they THINK it's gotten to the fans and isn't worthy of being on the list because nobody wants to hear those songs vs the other albums (or are tired of them because it was the last release and all over TV etc).

They are now close to where they would have to start making choices even (IF) they wanted a set list of all singles because of the sheer amount of songs to pick from - so something has to go. The serious mind fuckingly painful part is they stick so (relatively) close to the same old choices over and over with very little variation.

My dream is that one day they get on stage and he says "I'm just so fucking tired of set lists - tonight we are just going to play you the first three albums and go home... "

Maybe that's the reason, kinda surprised though he said that. I know many people say it's more like a soundtrack and they compare it to WL, personally i like it a lot. But this whole ''no one has ever done it, it's gonna be crazy..'' and all his excitement turned to ''that was fucked up'' ??
Outside is one of my favourite songs, didn't like it that much live, but i'd love it if they did it again and tried smth for JW's part.

Anyone had the 'Foo Town' ?!
Old January 25th 2018, 12:43 PM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria View Post
But this whole ''no one has ever done it, it's gonna be crazy..'' and all his excitement turned to ''that was fucked up'' ??
I mean, it's not like Dave doesn't have form for over-hyping. He's just an enthusiastic guy. But sometimes things don't pan out as well as he imagined, and I'd be surprised if they all hadn't sensed the general lack of fan love for SH.
Old January 25th 2018, 01:06 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Sweet one Dave, tell the crowd you're going to play until they drag you off the stage after three hours and barely push past 2.5! Drop White Limo and replace it with congregation? Another winner! No this is a call? Amazing! Turn half the songs into elementary jam sessions? Great!

Pretty disappointed. They're getting old fast.
Old January 25th 2018, 01:13 PM
Have you found your way around

Quote:

Go to any band's forum though and it's basically the same discussion. And we're not even going to 100+ shows at the end of the day. I have a feeling if people could get away with shows like that, then every artist would be doing something like that.

I don't disagree that the whole "rip the setlist" thing seems to drift more into a "choosing the same 10 songs and covers" thing though. At the Madison show, Dave took suggestions for the set and the guy next to me screamed for La Dee Da. I encouraged it as well, but Dave said no because he "wasn't feeling it." I suspect the laryngitis or whatever it was might've also contributed to a much lesser extent, but I suspect it's just easier to go to the songs that kill live instead of potentially having a song sink like a dud or screwing up on a song you haven't played in forever (then the discussions on other boards go onto how the band should rehearse more, is lazy, etc. etc.).

At the end of the day, it isn't a Prince or Soundgarden situation. So I'll probably continue to go to shows since it's more about the experience than worrying about Ain't it the Life being played or whatever. And no one can argue they're playing more new songs this time around than last time either, which I suppose is a step up from the SH tour.
2011: St. Paul
2015: St. Paul, Chicago (Wrigley), Anaheim (9/19)
2017: Chicago (Metro), Madison, Des Moines, Sioux Falls
2018: Milwaukee, St. Paul
Old January 25th 2018, 01:52 PM

At the last show I was at last summer I decided that I never want to suffer through them doing another 20min Skin and Bones, or any other "jam" or a cover again.

I also do not like the stadium athmosphere, I personally do not think they are a very good stadium act.

I do not like the new albums after IYH.

I do not like the predictable setlists as there are so much amaxing singles they decide not to do.

I do not like the sets staying basically the same tour after tour.

I do have too good memories from shows in the early 2000s, not feeling the current shows at all.

Luckily, the solution is simple - I just won't go anymore. Problem solved!
Old January 25th 2018, 02:28 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
I think it's the entire process and the fact it wasn't really an album designed as an album that has gotten to Dave - and I'm not even sure it has gotten to Dave or actually just gotten to where they THINK it's gotten to the fans and isn't worthy of being on the list because nobody wants to hear those songs vs the other albums (or are tired of them because it was the last release and all over TV etc).
Firefly June 24th, 2014 -
"Though everyone in the audience seemed keen on the band playing new material, Dave Grohl could only tease what was to come. ”We recorded eight fucking badass songs,” Grohl mused. “We’ll give them to ya’ at some point.” The band then launched into the Taylor Hawkins-led “Cold Day in the Sun”. Grohl later remarked that he couldn’t wait to return and play the new stuff."

South Africa, July 2014 - Interview:
""It's crazy how many people are in it, it's nuts, and then at the finale of the episode, we perform the song, and you see that the song is about the episode... and so... but it's a Foo Fighters record... and it's our, it's, it's the best one, it's crazy, like... because it's raw, like we went into these studios and we only had a little bit of time to record, and we just had to bang it out, on TAPE, as fast as we could... it's KILLER, it's been... it's been a crazy two years, I can't wait for people to see what we've been doing..."

Then what happened? I don't understand Dave. I just don't.
Old January 25th 2018, 03:03 PM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevgreg View Post
Go to any band's forum though and it's basically the same discussion.
From the other perspective, I went to see The Cure on their last tour, and I like them but I'm not obsessive about it - if they had dropped In Between Days or Lovecats or any of their hits really for a deep cut from 1986 I would have been pretty fucking pissed off. I've waited 20 years to see them, they'd better give me my Friday I'm in Love, or else.
Old January 25th 2018, 03:20 PM

Quote:
From the other perspective, I went to see The Cure on their last tour, and I like them but I'm not obsessive about it - if they had dropped In Between Days or Lovecats or any of their hits really for a deep cut from 1986 I would have been pretty fucking pissed off. I've waited 20 years to see them, they'd better give me my Friday I'm in Love, or else.
Right. And that’s the flip-side of the coin too. For one, there’s not many bands I’ll go out of my way to check out more than once on a tour (maybe four, if that?). And I see a lot more shows than just those acts. For all the other ones I only see once, I’m probably not going to go and hope to hear songs that I don’t know or ones that don’t come across well live. I doubt many of us would disagree with that either if we were in the "casual fan" position.

Will I make a mental note of something I enjoy hearing? Of course. But I’m probably not going to be moving around much or singing along either.
2011: St. Paul
2015: St. Paul, Chicago (Wrigley), Anaheim (9/19)
2017: Chicago (Metro), Madison, Des Moines, Sioux Falls
2018: Milwaukee, St. Paul
Old January 25th 2018, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchEnemies View Post
That´s the thing, I totally get your point, if I ever get to see Pearl Jam they better play Alive and Even Flow or I´ll be devastated (was supposed to see them in ´92 but they cancelled..).

It´s a bit complicated though as old singles should probably not be even considered a deep cut but the FF is in a situation where (in the shows I´ve been at the last few years) the audience really knows songs from the Pretender onwards. The singles from IYH and earlier the majority have of course heard but the FF material they know is different from what we probably consider their core material. It´s not uncommon to hear "hey I like the One by One song (meaning AML)". We´re geeks who know the band inside out, the crowds that flock to see them now are there for the newer hits so it´s understandable that it´s what they´ll do.

But still, a 20min S&B - WHO ENJOYS THAT?
Old January 25th 2018, 05:42 PM
I'll Stick Around

yes, it's weird to me that This Is A Call isn't always played these days! to me it's still the quintessential Foo song, and I'm not even an old-school fan. If it wasn't played I'd be really disappointed, but then maybe I'd be in the minority.

the thing that seems to annoy everyone for no obvious benefit is the covers, but apparently there haven't been as many this tour.
Old January 25th 2018, 07:45 PM
Easy For YOU To Say

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchEnemies View Post
yes, it's weird to me that This Is A Call isn't always played these days! to me it's still the quintessential Foo song, and I'm not even an old-school fan. If it wasn't played I'd be really disappointed, but then maybe I'd be in the minority.

the thing that seems to annoy everyone for no obvious benefit is the covers, but apparently there haven't been as many this tour.
The previous Call comment in here is someone that was at Brisbane last night. This Is A Call probably WAS on the setlist - it WAS played at BOTH Perth and Adelaide and disappeared last night - not even replaced - they played 25 vs 26 songs - AND dropped Arrows to cover the Ramones Blitzkrieg Bop. Covers are one thing but seriously - you don't drop one of the best songs off your current album to do it - thats just fucky

I was there
Old January 25th 2018, 07:57 PM
I'd rather leave than suffer this

Quote:
http://www.therock.net.nz/home/win/2...xperience.html

https://i.imgur.com/sKaJzwV.jpg

Ok, if you’re a fan of a band called the Foo Fighters, listen up.

Because we’ve pulled some strings, paid some questionable guys cash under the table, and done a few things we can’t even talk about on the radio, to score an UNBEATABLE Foo Fighters experience, that YOU can win:

Two tickets to the Foo Fighters gig, Mt Smart Stadium February 3rd
Two tickets that’ll get you seats AT the sound desk for the Foos
The entire Foos album back catalogue
AND a huge stack of Foos merch

Keen?

Listen out for the Foos track of the day at 8am with the Morning Rumble.
When you hear it play between 9 and 5, text VIP, and the time you heard it to 3520, and you’re in the draw.

Be the ultimate Foos VIP, only with The Rock
What was today’s song?

Also, anyone know what time soundcheck is usually?
Old January 25th 2018, 08:15 PM
Easy For YOU To Say

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo3001 View Post
I also do not like the stadium athmosphere, I personally do not think they are a very good stadium act.

Totally disagree - they are a fine stadium band. It's all about having a good sized crowd and getting them utterly wound up and feeding off of that and winding yourself up further, which winds the crowd up more and so on - round and round.

And the Foos can totally do that - I can personally testify from the barrier rail in Auckland in 2011 that they can cause utter chaos if they want to. It was the final gig of 2011 and no doubt that helped.

“I didn't notice when it was happening, but our sound guy who was in the middle of the field could feel the ground moving up and down,” Grohl tells The Hollywood Reporter. “After we were finished, the entire road crew said, 'Did you f---kin’ feel the stage moving?’ And this was a massive festival stage! It was f---kin' crazy.” Grohl describes “bouncing cabinets” and ground that literally shook. “That’s what it takes to cause an earthquake.”

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ea...s-video-286283
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainm...ectid=10773395
http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment...rs-in-Auckland

So if you are going to shitty concerts - then you either have shitty crowds that aren't into it - or a shitty band that isn't into it. Soon as one of those things are shitty the other will be too because the reverse of the mutual wind up happens and you get a mutual "cant be fucked".

And as we are already discussing here the band are definitely not helping anything. Here's the set list from that insane Auckland gig - I really don't want to count the small number of changes I'd need to make to have this weeks Australian setlists - 6 years later.

All My Life
Rope
The Pretender
My Hero
Learn to Fly
White Limo
Arlandria
Breakout
Cold Day in the Sun
Long Road to Ruin
Stacked Actors
Walk
Monkey Wrench
Let It Die
These Days
This Is a Call
In the Flesh? (Pink Floyd cover)
Best of You

Encore:
Wheels (Dave acoustic solo)
Times Like These (half Dave acoustic solo, half with band)
Generator
Tie Your Mother Down (Queen cover) (with Tenacious D)
Everlong

I was there