Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old August 28th 2019, 10:33 AM
How Do You Do

Thumbs up Re: Reading live stream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson_Foo View Post
I accept it’s what they do, just question if it’s necessary. I get the festival setlists but surely at their own shows there’s a bit of room for manoeuvre?
They do have a little room for manoeuvre...but you have to look at it from a general fan's viewpoint.

When I saw Guns n' Roses at London Stadium...or AC/DC at Wembley Stadium...i wanted to hear all the hits, all the songs I knew and was familiar with. I'm a casual fan, not a massive fan...so I came away from those shows very satisfied because they played mostly the 'crowd-pleasers'.

It's the same with Foo Fighters now, which is how they can fill out and play big shows, is because they're catering to the casual fan.

Admin @FooFightersUK
Old August 28th 2019, 10:50 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Default Re: Reading live stream

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.B.gene View Post
They do have a little room for manoeuvre...but you have to look at it from a general fan's viewpoint.

When I saw Guns n' Roses at London Stadium...or AC/DC at Wembley Stadium...i wanted to hear all the hits, all the songs I knew and was familiar with. I'm a casual fan, not a massive fan...so I came away from those shows very satisfied because they played mostly the 'crowd-pleasers'.

It's the same with Foo Fighters now, which is how they can fill out and play big shows, is because they're catering to the casual fan.
Completely agree. Whilst I have a list of Foo's songs id love to hear live i'm aware that if they were to cater for what i want then they would'nt pull as big of a crowd.
Everytime i've seen them live there has always been several people in our group that are seeing them for the first time and they wanna hear the hits.
Boucher Road Playing Fields - 21st August 2012
Punchestown Racecourse - 9th July 2011
Marlay Park - 22nd August 2007
Slane Castle - 23rd August 2003
Old August 28th 2019, 11:04 AM
You gotta promise not to stop when I say

Quote:
Originally Posted by matineeidyll View Post
Physical album sales are dropping but they're still responsible for more revenue than streaming and digital downloads combined. The infrastructure as it is at the moment just isn't enough to sustain artists. So FF's biggest pull, historically and for the foreseeable future, will be physical sales, and as far as they go, they aren't doing too badly. When C&G came out, it went #1 on the strength of physical sales - only 5.5% came from digital sales.
That really surprises me.

Quote:
Fleetwood Mac had the right idea when they toured back in 2013. A show chock full of classic FM hits - BUT - here was the clever part...

They released a download only EP of four brand new songs not long before the live dates. They played a couple of these tunes at the gig - and if I remember rightly - mentioned that these songs were available and the EP could be downloaded straight from their official website.

I bet they made a MINT off that.
Old August 28th 2019, 04:32 PM
Have you found your way around

I´ve never seen Pearl Jam play -

Was going in ´92 but they cancelled.

IF I ever get to see them they better do the biggest hits from the 1st two albums, I really do not care them doing the obscure album track from album #5 whatever that is (totally lost interest after Vitalogy).

So I do understand the FF catering for the casual fan.

Still saying though that when attending a FF you KNOW they are going to do Under Pressure and most probably Let There Be Rock too it´s just so Slash playing the Godfather theme boring. But, I get it, the regular FF show is just not for me anymore.
Old August 28th 2019, 05:42 PM
Right down the drain I go…

I get why they’re doing it, but instead of under pressure or let there be rock or wheels, why not fill that with an older song?
Old August 28th 2019, 06:29 PM
How Do You Do

because they're guaranteed crowd-pleasers ('Wheels' being another track off 'Greatest Hits' album casual fans are likely to know)

Admin @FooFightersUK
Old August 28th 2019, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo3001 View Post
I´ve never seen Pearl Jam play -

Was going in ´92 but they cancelled.

IF I ever get to see them they better do the biggest hits from the 1st two albums, I really do not care them doing the obscure album track from album #5 whatever that is (totally lost interest after Vitalogy).

So I do understand the FF catering for the casual fan.

Still saying though that when attending a FF you KNOW they are going to do Under Pressure and most probably Let There Be Rock too it´s just so Slash playing the Godfather theme boring. But, I get it, the regular FF show is just not for me anymore.
PJ plays different setlists w/ rarities often, and it doesn't seem to affect their attendance, nor how much most enjoy the show.

But many of us have been saying it for almost 20 years now ... how is it that Foos feel they need to play basically the same setlist? Every once in a while they do a surprise or two but not often enough. It's why I haven't seen them in many years (I made a 2006 appearance but that was to see the acoustic show - I saw they approx 8 or 9 times before that, i am guessing) -- they certainly don't care, though, me not showing is not affecting their crowd numbers!

No matter, I still love the albums, at least i have that! New album time is the best, because at least for a while they add some of the new tracks.
Old August 28th 2019, 06:58 PM

Quote:
because they're guaranteed crowd-pleasers ('Wheels' being another track off 'Greatest Hits' album casual fans are likely to know)
Is it though? I’ve only ever seen people complain about it.

My first Foos gig was MK Bowl 2015, and I was a definite casual fan. They played DOA, For All The Cows and Aurora. I didn’t know those songs prior to the gig, but thought they were awesome, listened to them, and it made me a huge fan of the band that’s now getting to shows at silly o’clock for barrier. If they’d been doing their “greatest hits, rock n roll show!!!1!1!” that gig, I wouldn’t be into the band as much as I am now, as I wouldn’t have felt the need to dig deeper.

It’s not just pandering to the hardcore fans, but a run of deeper cuts that’s a surprise, which a lot of big bands can do whilst still doing all their hits, can convert a crowd just as much as being the token rock band can.
Old August 28th 2019, 07:21 PM
How Do You Do

Thumbs up Re: Reading live stream

I think you’re an exception to the rule. Don’t shoot the messenger, this is just the approach Foo Fighters and their management team are taking.

Admin @FooFightersUK
Old August 28th 2019, 08:28 PM

Quote:
I think you’re an exception to the rule. Don’t shoot the messenger, this is just the approach Foo Fighters and their management team are taking.
Meh I know plenty of people that have had the same experience with a variety of acts. Again I do understand the logic behind the decision, just don’t think it’s as black and white as “play the greatest hits album in full or no one will turn up to the shows anymore”
Old August 28th 2019, 08:52 PM
I don't have a cofee problem.

I like Wheels. I like the meaning behind the words as it takes me to a certain time in my life. I’m pleased to hear it live.
Old August 29th 2019, 02:33 AM
The Cookie Is A Lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson_Foo View Post
just don’t think it’s as black and white as “play the greatest hits album in full or no one will turn up to the shows anymore”
I think what IS black and white is that the band/management/whoever believe that to be the case or, perhaps more accurately, believe that method is the best way to ensure a great show each time.

But I agree that there are plenty of acts who show that you can draw crowds etc with a variety of different approaches.
Old August 29th 2019, 03:47 AM
Ready on your mark

Back on the Reading stream itself: I rewatched 'Run' on the BBC's YT and hot damn, it was especially good that night. Dave's vocals and that outro were
Philadelphia, 2016 (Chevy Metal)
Sydney, 2017 (Chevy Metal)
Adelaide / Brisbane / Sydney, 2018

FooFightersLive.com
Old August 29th 2019, 03:57 AM
The Sidekick

Quote:
Originally Posted by matineeidyll View Post
Back on the Reading stream itself: I rewatched 'Run' on the BBC's YT and hot damn, it was especially good that night. Dave's vocals and that outro were
That and 'La Dee Da' were really strong performances. Dave's voice/screams were lit, as I believe the kids say.

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Old August 29th 2019, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic Failure View Post
I think what IS black and white is that the band/management/whoever believe that to be the case or, perhaps more accurately, believe that method is the best way to ensure a great show each time.

But I agree that there are plenty of acts who show that you can draw crowds etc with a variety of different approaches.
Yup, and it’s probably not gonna change any time soon.

The audio on the live stream is fantastic! Really well mixed which is unusual for a lot of festival streams
Old August 29th 2019, 08:28 AM
I don't have a cofee problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
That and 'La Dee Da' were really strong performances. Dave's voice/screams were lit, as I believe the kids say.
Have to agree.... I was smiling like a Cheshire Cat when he let those screams rip during la Dee da.
Old August 29th 2019, 09:19 AM
FooArchive

In regards to the covers, I get the ‘Under Pressure’ cover is a voice rest for Dave (not to mention Taylor is fucking great at it & his crowd hype routine). But the percentage of that crowd that knew ‘Let There Be Rock’ was probably the same that would’ve known ‘Something From Nothing’. It’s a shame they fell back on a cover when they have stuff of their own that could’ve done the job.
As for ‘Never Gonna Give You Up’... never do that again.

"FooArchive? It's a wealth of information." - Dave Grohl
Old August 29th 2019, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjonze View Post
In regards to the covers, I get the ‘Under Pressure’ cover is a voice rest for Dave (not to mention Taylor is fucking great at it & his crowd hype routine). But the percentage of that crowd that knew ‘Let There Be Rock’ was probably the same that would’ve known ‘Something From Nothing’. It’s a shame they fell back on a cover when they have stuff of their own that could’ve done the job.
Exactly! Let There be Rock is pretty far down the list when you start naming ACDC songs. But that is Dave's message at the moment... He's one of the only remaining 'rock' poster boys and he's very much "Do you think rock and roll is dead?!" - well if you look at the rest of the lineup, you'd have to say yes!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- Leeds Festival 05 -- MEN Arena 05 -- Hyde Park 06 -- Metro Arena 07 -- Eastlands stadium 08 -
Old August 29th 2019, 11:19 AM
You gotta promise not to stop when I say

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjonze View Post
Oh come on, it was funny!
Old August 29th 2019, 11:34 AM
How Do You Do

I love it but I hate the taste.

Admin @FooFightersUK