Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #101  
Old August 28th 2019, 10:33 AM
O.B.gene's Avatar
O.B.gene O.B.gene is offline
How Do You Do
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Southend, Essex
Posts: 25,851
Thumbs up Re: Reading live stream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson_Foo View Post
I accept it’s what they do, just question if it’s necessary. I get the festival setlists but surely at their own shows there’s a bit of room for manoeuvre?
They do have a little room for manoeuvre...but you have to look at it from a general fan's viewpoint.

When I saw Guns n' Roses at London Stadium...or AC/DC at Wembley Stadium...i wanted to hear all the hits, all the songs I knew and was familiar with. I'm a casual fan, not a massive fan...so I came away from those shows very satisfied because they played mostly the 'crowd-pleasers'.

It's the same with Foo Fighters now, which is how they can fill out and play big shows, is because they're catering to the casual fan.
__________________
"Just because you have the ability to post, doesn't mean you always should." Jill (2015)
“I don’t know if it’s trolling but the use of “cuz” is annoying as fuck.” Jill (2019)


Admin @FooFightersUK
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old August 28th 2019, 10:50 AM
1)ee's Avatar
1)ee 1)ee is offline
Visiting is pretty...
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Ireland
Posts: 26
Default Re: Reading live stream

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.B.gene View Post
They do have a little room for manoeuvre...but you have to look at it from a general fan's viewpoint.

When I saw Guns n' Roses at London Stadium...or AC/DC at Wembley Stadium...i wanted to hear all the hits, all the songs I knew and was familiar with. I'm a casual fan, not a massive fan...so I came away from those shows very satisfied because they played mostly the 'crowd-pleasers'.

It's the same with Foo Fighters now, which is how they can fill out and play big shows, is because they're catering to the casual fan.
Completely agree. Whilst I have a list of Foo's songs id love to hear live i'm aware that if they were to cater for what i want then they would'nt pull as big of a crowd.
Everytime i've seen them live there has always been several people in our group that are seeing them for the first time and they wanna hear the hits.
__________________
Boucher Road Playing Fields - 19th August 2019
London Stadium - 22nd June 2018
Slane Castle - 30th May 2015
Boucher Road Playing Fields - 21st August 2012
Punchestown Racecourse - 9th July 2011
Marlay Park - 22nd August 2007
Slane Castle - 23rd August 2003
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old August 28th 2019, 11:04 AM
StuFighter's Avatar
StuFighter StuFighter is offline
You gotta promise not to stop when I say
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: phantom zone
Posts: 5,659
Default Re: Reading live stream

Quote:
Originally Posted by matineeidyll View Post
Physical album sales are dropping but they're still responsible for more revenue than streaming and digital downloads combined. The infrastructure as it is at the moment just isn't enough to sustain artists. So FF's biggest pull, historically and for the foreseeable future, will be physical sales, and as far as they go, they aren't doing too badly. When C&G came out, it went #1 on the strength of physical sales - only 5.5% came from digital sales.
That really surprises me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.B.gene View Post
It's the same with Foo Fighters now, which is how they can fill out and play big shows, is because they're catering to the casual fan.
Fleetwood Mac had the right idea when they toured back in 2013. A show chock full of classic FM hits - BUT - here was the clever part...

They released a download only EP of four brand new songs not long before the live dates. They played a couple of these tunes at the gig - and if I remember rightly - mentioned that these songs were available and the EP could be downloaded straight from their official website.

I bet they made a MINT off that.
__________________
Reading Festival 2002
Milton Keynes Bowl 2015
Reading Festival 2019
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old August 28th 2019, 04:32 PM
Foo3001 Foo3001 is offline
Have you found your way around
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Right behind You
Posts: 1,606
Default Re: Reading live stream

I´ve never seen Pearl Jam play -

Was going in ´92 but they cancelled.

IF I ever get to see them they better do the biggest hits from the 1st two albums, I really do not care them doing the obscure album track from album #5 whatever that is (totally lost interest after Vitalogy).

So I do understand the FF catering for the casual fan.

Still saying though that when attending a FF you KNOW they are going to do Under Pressure and most probably Let There Be Rock too it´s just so Slash playing the Godfather theme boring. But, I get it, the regular FF show is just not for me anymore.
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old August 28th 2019, 05:42 PM
Johnson_Foo's Avatar
Johnson_Foo Johnson_Foo is offline
Right down the drain I go…
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: South of England
Posts: 379
Default Re: Reading live stream

I get why they’re doing it, but instead of under pressure or let there be rock or wheels, why not fill that with an older song?
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old August 28th 2019, 06:29 PM
O.B.gene's Avatar
O.B.gene O.B.gene is offline
How Do You Do
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Southend, Essex
Posts: 25,851
Default Re: Reading live stream

because they're guaranteed crowd-pleasers ('Wheels' being another track off 'Greatest Hits' album casual fans are likely to know)
__________________
"Just because you have the ability to post, doesn't mean you always should." Jill (2015)
“I don’t know if it’s trolling but the use of “cuz” is annoying as fuck.” Jill (2019)


Admin @FooFightersUK
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old August 28th 2019, 06:49 PM
wicked_gravity's Avatar
wicked_gravity wicked_gravity is offline
Have you found your way around
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Earth
Posts: 4,572
Default Re: Reading live stream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo3001 View Post
I´ve never seen Pearl Jam play -

Was going in ´92 but they cancelled.

IF I ever get to see them they better do the biggest hits from the 1st two albums, I really do not care them doing the obscure album track from album #5 whatever that is (totally lost interest after Vitalogy).

So I do understand the FF catering for the casual fan.

Still saying though that when attending a FF you KNOW they are going to do Under Pressure and most probably Let There Be Rock too it´s just so Slash playing the Godfather theme boring. But, I get it, the regular FF show is just not for me anymore.
PJ plays different setlists w/ rarities often, and it doesn't seem to affect their attendance, nor how much most enjoy the show.

But many of us have been saying it for almost 20 years now ... how is it that Foos feel they need to play basically the same setlist? Every once in a while they do a surprise or two but not often enough. It's why I haven't seen them in many years (I made a 2006 appearance but that was to see the acoustic show - I saw they approx 8 or 9 times before that, i am guessing) -- they certainly don't care, though, me not showing is not affecting their crowd numbers!

No matter, I still love the albums, at least i have that! New album time is the best, because at least for a while they add some of the new tracks.
__________________
-------------------------
Gonna find my way to heaven
'Cause I did my time in hell
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old August 28th 2019, 06:58 PM
Johnson_Foo's Avatar
Johnson_Foo Johnson_Foo is offline
Right down the drain I go…
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: South of England
Posts: 379
Default Re: Reading live stream

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.B.gene View Post
because they're guaranteed crowd-pleasers ('Wheels' being another track off 'Greatest Hits' album casual fans are likely to know)
Is it though? I’ve only ever seen people complain about it.

My first Foos gig was MK Bowl 2015, and I was a definite casual fan. They played DOA, For All The Cows and Aurora. I didn’t know those songs prior to the gig, but thought they were awesome, listened to them, and it made me a huge fan of the band that’s now getting to shows at silly o’clock for barrier. If they’d been doing their “greatest hits, rock n roll show!!!1!1!” that gig, I wouldn’t be into the band as much as I am now, as I wouldn’t have felt the need to dig deeper.

It’s not just pandering to the hardcore fans, but a run of deeper cuts that’s a surprise, which a lot of big bands can do whilst still doing all their hits, can convert a crowd just as much as being the token rock band can.
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old August 28th 2019, 07:21 PM
O.B.gene's Avatar
O.B.gene O.B.gene is offline
How Do You Do
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Southend, Essex
Posts: 25,851
Thumbs up Re: Reading live stream

I think you’re an exception to the rule. Don’t shoot the messenger, this is just the approach Foo Fighters and their management team are taking.
__________________
"Just because you have the ability to post, doesn't mean you always should." Jill (2015)
“I don’t know if it’s trolling but the use of “cuz” is annoying as fuck.” Jill (2019)


Admin @FooFightersUK
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old August 28th 2019, 08:28 PM
Johnson_Foo's Avatar
Johnson_Foo Johnson_Foo is offline
Right down the drain I go…
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: South of England
Posts: 379
Default Re: Reading live stream

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.B.gene View Post
I think you’re an exception to the rule. Don’t shoot the messenger, this is just the approach Foo Fighters and their management team are taking.
Meh I know plenty of people that have had the same experience with a variety of acts. Again I do understand the logic behind the decision, just don’t think it’s as black and white as “play the greatest hits album in full or no one will turn up to the shows anymore”
Reply With Quote
  #111  
Old August 28th 2019, 08:52 PM
BigCol's Avatar
BigCol BigCol is offline
I don't have a cofee problem.
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: London.
Posts: 7,251
Default Re: Reading live stream

I like Wheels. I like the meaning behind the words as it takes me to a certain time in my life. I’m pleased to hear it live.
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old August 29th 2019, 02:33 AM
Epic Failure's Avatar
Epic Failure Epic Failure is offline
The Cookie Is A Lie
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Heart of Transylvania
Posts: 27,899
Default Re: Reading live stream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson_Foo View Post
just don’t think it’s as black and white as “play the greatest hits album in full or no one will turn up to the shows anymore”
I think what IS black and white is that the band/management/whoever believe that to be the case or, perhaps more accurately, believe that method is the best way to ensure a great show each time.

But I agree that there are plenty of acts who show that you can draw crowds etc with a variety of different approaches.
__________________
Mutare Vel Timere Sperno
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old August 29th 2019, 03:47 AM
matineeidyll's Avatar
matineeidyll matineeidyll is online now
Ready on your mark
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Newcastle, Australia
Posts: 1,453
Default Re: Reading live stream

Back on the Reading stream itself: I rewatched 'Run' on the BBC's YT and hot damn, it was especially good that night. Dave's vocals and that outro were
__________________
Adelaide / Sydney, 2011
Brisbane / Sydney / Adelaide, 2015
Gold Coast, 2015 (Chevy Metal)
Philadelphia, 2016 (Chevy Metal)
Sydney, 2017 (Chevy Metal)
Adelaide / Brisbane / Sydney, 2018

FooFightersLive.com
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old August 29th 2019, 03:57 AM
Simon's Avatar
Simon Simon is offline
The Sidekick
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 29,177
Default Re: Reading live stream

Quote:
Originally Posted by matineeidyll View Post
Back on the Reading stream itself: I rewatched 'Run' on the BBC's YT and hot damn, it was especially good that night. Dave's vocals and that outro were
That and 'La Dee Da' were really strong performances. Dave's voice/screams were lit, as I believe the kids say.
__________________

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old August 29th 2019, 06:21 AM
Johnson_Foo's Avatar
Johnson_Foo Johnson_Foo is offline
Right down the drain I go…
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: South of England
Posts: 379
Default Re: Reading live stream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic Failure View Post
I think what IS black and white is that the band/management/whoever believe that to be the case or, perhaps more accurately, believe that method is the best way to ensure a great show each time.

But I agree that there are plenty of acts who show that you can draw crowds etc with a variety of different approaches.
Yup, and it’s probably not gonna change any time soon.



The audio on the live stream is fantastic! Really well mixed which is unusual for a lot of festival streams
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old August 29th 2019, 08:28 AM
BigCol's Avatar
BigCol BigCol is offline
I don't have a cofee problem.
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: London.
Posts: 7,251
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
That and 'La Dee Da' were really strong performances. Dave's voice/screams were lit, as I believe the kids say.
Have to agree.... I was smiling like a Cheshire Cat when he let those screams rip during la Dee da.
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old August 29th 2019, 09:19 AM
pjonze's Avatar
pjonze pjonze is offline
FooArchive
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Liverpool, UK
Posts: 6,106
Default Re: Reading live stream

In regards to the covers, I get the ‘Under Pressure’ cover is a voice rest for Dave (not to mention Taylor is fucking great at it & his crowd hype routine). But the percentage of that crowd that knew ‘Let There Be Rock’ was probably the same that would’ve known ‘Something From Nothing’. It’s a shame they fell back on a cover when they have stuff of their own that could’ve done the job.
As for ‘Never Gonna Give You Up’... never do that again.
__________________
webmaster - www.FooArchive.com

"FooArchive? It's a wealth of information." - Dave Grohl
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old August 29th 2019, 09:49 AM
Kevthedrummer's Avatar
Kevthedrummer Kevthedrummer is offline
Have you found your way around
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Old York, England, UK
Posts: 1,676
Default Re: Reading live stream

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjonze View Post
In regards to the covers, I get the ‘Under Pressure’ cover is a voice rest for Dave (not to mention Taylor is fucking great at it & his crowd hype routine). But the percentage of that crowd that knew ‘Let There Be Rock’ was probably the same that would’ve known ‘Something From Nothing’. It’s a shame they fell back on a cover when they have stuff of their own that could’ve done the job.
As for ‘Never Gonna Give You Up’... never do that again.
Exactly! Let There be Rock is pretty far down the list when you start naming ACDC songs. But that is Dave's message at the moment... He's one of the only remaining 'rock' poster boys and he's very much "Do you think rock and roll is dead?!" - well if you look at the rest of the lineup, you'd have to say yes!
__________________

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- Leeds Festival 05 -- MEN Arena 05 -- Hyde Park 06 -- Metro Arena 07 -- Eastlands stadium 08 -
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old August 29th 2019, 11:19 AM
StuFighter's Avatar
StuFighter StuFighter is offline
You gotta promise not to stop when I say
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: phantom zone
Posts: 5,659
Default Re: Reading live stream

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjonze View Post
As for ‘Never Gonna Give You Up’... never do that again.
Oh come on, it was funny!
__________________
Reading Festival 2002
Milton Keynes Bowl 2015
Reading Festival 2019
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old August 29th 2019, 11:34 AM
O.B.gene's Avatar
O.B.gene O.B.gene is offline
How Do You Do
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Southend, Essex
Posts: 25,851
Default Re: Reading live stream

I love it but I hate the taste.
__________________
"Just because you have the ability to post, doesn't mean you always should." Jill (2015)
“I don’t know if it’s trolling but the use of “cuz” is annoying as fuck.” Jill (2019)


Admin @FooFightersUK
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.