Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old July 15th 2019, 06:11 AM
Easy For YOU To Say

Default Re: New album In the works

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
The mixtape minisite hasn't been touched in a long time. It's always had that note about surprises, they just added a couple of new songs to generated playlists at some point although for the life of me I can't remember what they were. C&G clips, perhaps? Something like that. Must've been actually, given it went up in May 2017.
Ahhh Ok - I knew it HAD BEEN up before - as in existed... but I wasn't sure it looked the same. Seemed to me on first impression it's had a revamp, and therefore might be more specific especially re the filing cabinets...

But fair call then - worth raising and highlighting even if all the thoughts are quite validly "shot down' lol. If you don't look and question everything they do you WILL get left behind

I was there
Old August 27th 2019, 06:58 PM
You gotta promise not to stop when I say

I've said it before - I'll say it again - and I'll keep darn well saying it...

I want to hear their Pink Floyd album. I want them to do something progressive and psychedelic that sounds like it came out of the 70s.

Big epic 10-15 minute songs. Epic guitar solos that last forever from Dave, Pat and Chris... and long keyboard bits from Rami Jaffee.

I want a mind blowing EPIC.

If I could have a wish for FF, that would be it.
Old August 29th 2019, 08:55 PM
Times Like These

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuFighter View Post

I want to hear their Pink Floyd album. I want them to do something progressive and psychedelic that sounds like it came out of the 70s.

Big epic 10-15 minute songs. Epic guitar solos that last forever from Dave, Pat and Chris... and long keyboard bits from Rami Jaffee.

Might want to check out the new TOOL album coming out tomorrow...Fear Inoculum
05/01/2018 Rupp Arena, Lexington KY
07/26/2018 Noblesville Indiana

09/20/2019- Bourbon & Beyond Louisville KY
Old August 30th 2019, 10:49 AM
You gotta promise not to stop when I say

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnrougeux View Post
Might want to check out the new TOOL album coming out tomorrow...Fear Inoculum
Do you know if the new Slipknot album is any good?
Old September 24th 2019, 07:36 PM
I'll Stick Around

Along with a new album how about they become that band that brings back CD singles with b-sides and acoustic versions.
Old September 25th 2019, 11:45 AM
The Sidekick

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaFoo View Post
Along with a new album how about they become that band that brings back CD singles with b-sides and acoustic versions.
Whilst wide scale CD single releases are never likely to happen again I've said many times that they should do exclusive releases in their online stores. Take pre-orders for a couple of weeks so they know how many to press, do that amount + 10% for anyone that missed it.

I've no idea if it would be profitable with low numbers but it'd just be something nice for the fans like us who desire some nice physical releases and don't want to make do with CDR promos on ebay as a replacement for the singles.

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Old September 26th 2019, 08:36 PM
Have you found your way around

This popped up on my YT feed for some reason, old as shit and seen it a million times before but what I really want to hear sometime again is a song with a melody and structure that works like this one does, without the production and whatever. It’s been a while since they last made ’em like it.

https://youtu.be/IKOv68AOmV4
Old September 29th 2019, 06:14 AM
How Do You Do

Start recording next week, apparently

Admin @FooFightersUK
Old September 29th 2019, 06:37 AM
Ready on your mark

"We go home next week and we start making the new Foo Fighters record."

And so it begins
Philadelphia, 2016 (Chevy Metal)
Sydney, 2017 (Chevy Metal)
Adelaide / Brisbane / Sydney, 2018

FooFightersLive.com
Old September 29th 2019, 02:32 PM
The Sidekick

Hopefully this means the process will be a bit more public this time. Perhaps not on the same level as 'Wasting Light' but it's always nice to follow along with things, hunt for hints and song titles in photos and such.

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Old September 29th 2019, 09:48 PM
Oooh oh ooooh

From a short interview with Dave and Taylor.

We do have a pretty good idea of what we are going to do.
Because i think that when you record in different places, it sort of affects or influences the way it sounds..so, if you just go into a studio, it's like ok you make a record. We did that in the last record and it was really fun, but i don't want to do that two times in a row. So, we found somewhere interesting to make a record
Old September 29th 2019, 09:52 PM
How Do You Do

in a cave

Admin @FooFightersUK
Old September 29th 2019, 10:27 PM
Oooh oh ooooh

experiment with the acoustics. That's it
Old October 1st 2019, 10:12 PM
I don't have a cofee problem.

Quote:
Hopefully this means the process will be a bit more public this time. Perhaps not on the same level as 'Wasting Light' but it's always nice to follow along with things, hunt for hints and song titles in photos and such.
After the gimmicks of WL and SH I preferred the secrecy of C&G. We don’t need gimmicks, we just need damn good rock music.
Old October 2nd 2019, 12:51 PM
The Sidekick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCol View Post
After the gimmicks of WL and SH I preferred the secrecy of C&G. We don’t need gimmicks, we just need damn good rock music.
Well true, but the two aren't mutually exclusive. I just miss the days of being able to follow along with a recording process, even if it's just a few tweet updates and images.

--
Old October 3rd 2019, 12:02 PM
Easy For YOU To Say

Quote:
Whilst wide scale CD single releases are never likely to happen again I've said many times that they should do exclusive releases in their online stores. Take pre-orders for a couple of weeks so they know how many to press, do that amount + 10% for anyone that missed it.

I've no idea if it would be profitable with low numbers but it'd just be something nice for the fans like us who desire some nice physical releases and don't want to make do with CDR promos on ebay as a replacement for the singles.
We've both been here many times (sigh).

Adam Lambert (2009 American Idol) just sold out 500 signed CD copies of Velvet Side A EP in what I understand was 8h 47mins (time - announced to sold out). 48 hours later there has been just one copy (still) on offer on EB.

Yes he fronts Queen, and (or but) he hasn't had a release out in his own name in 5-6 years.

Sure, one can point a Queen stick at that, one can point a totally different genre/audience stick at that (though go listen to it - it's quietly brilliant and all the more so as he wrote most of it and produced it himself - and states Prince as his primary influence... a rock(y) road of association the FF have definitely been down).

So I would never equate the two artists (and there must be many like Metallica that screw a tangent on it all via web sales that aren't even physical) but my point is there must be SOME idea that this is profitable (in answer to the main question).

But what is profitable? Maybe that's actually the real question.

1) Making direct money
2) Driving merch sales
3) Driving ticket sales
4) Driving (expanding) audience brand (band) awareness (that then hits all the above even if given at first for free)
5) Driving historical recognition (of past longevity/importance) - hitting existing (and spurring new) fans with old (but new) releases and packaging that promotes an entire catalog of past work (and renews their sale). No no no - the FF would never do this surely? Not at 20, 25, 00050525, 00950025 or even 01070725 years!

So then you have to step back and say OK, so you can eat the banana a hundred different ways (in combination) and still say someone(s) thought each one was a sweet banana.

Some artists are using the fruit they can reach to maximum effect, while others perhaps are going all out and doing crazy things with the low hanging bananas they can easily reach, while ignoring the fact they alone have access to the top branches, and the ability to do stuff with the tons of skins they have piled up that everyone else discards as rubbish because processing them has no positive (effort to value) volume equation.

CD's are only dead because people made them "dead", like they previously made vinyl "dead".

Convenience over Substance.

Eventually if convenience is(was) all that was left, substance will be all that is wanted.

In 2030-35 CD's (that haven't suffered disc rot) will be more valuable than "old" vinyl is today. It's insurgent in the fact that audio only translates to an ear, and an ear can not change, while a mindset can.

If you are a band and you want to be most successful (in terms of being remembered) you need to focus on just two things.

1) Humans need physical evidence to truly remember.
2) Humans hear in analogue stereo.

I was there

Last edited by FooZealand : October 3rd 2019 at 12:15 PM. Reason: I somehow truncted Simon's orig post in the Quote
Old October 3rd 2019, 02:12 PM
Easy For YOU To Say

Quote:

This is what "worries" me most of all right now on so many levels. And I'm prone to rant on (no Mike - you? ) so lists are my friend.

1) They are due that epic album. I don't mean WE are due that album. They are due the freedom to be told we just don't give a fuck what you produce, we will put 10-15 million out there to support it (my numbers are air grabs - but based on what I know). Go do your thing, and just fucking have fun.

2) No band on earth right no would make a better album when told to "Go do your thing, and just fucking have fun". No band will make a more of the same album right now than the Foos told to appease ticket sales and audiences wanting more of the same.

3) I thought we had this exact thing when I heard those glimmer seconds of Outside from that test pressing - does anyone else remember that moment where you head those twin guitars fighting and thinking this is going to be just beyond epic...?

4) Then I worry like fuck that that WAS their moment... they got given all that freedom - to do the eight cities and the series for HBO... and that as good as it was they kinda screwed the potential as it did what Dave wanted to do on the documentary side in showcasing those eight cities and music history, but in achieving the one it killed the other and left the album like a mountainside - with peaks and troughs - you saw them all straight away and grew to love the landscape a lot - but wished all you had to do was gaze on this amazing set of mountains nobody could ever climb, let alone recreate. But you could - go to the top, and then literally go "Subterranean". A really great song - but so at odds with the peaks. It all felt contrived - because it was, but totally and artistically brilliantly, because it depicted ever place perfectly. But as a listenable album it was like 7/10 of what was "right".

5) And it hurts more as four years later that 70's hard rock influence seems to be coming back even more strongly in lots of subtle under tones in popular bands. They will call it a thousand things before they call it rock, will claim it as their own creation a thousand times more.

5) But it feels nobody can "bust it" because it's not now just about the music. The format is kinda dictated by the old 4-5 minute radio tune. They dont even play on radio - but they have to be the right length to not take up too much space on a server. And songs are like coins - we'll keep the shiny ones and throw them all together. And you say they are shin - we dont look at how brown they are any more, we just dont care, so long as you like them. If they came with shiny bright partners we will throw those other fuckers in an instant if you aren't polishing the shit out of them. Polish your turds, your bronze, your silver and gold - just keep swiping and we'll keep finding you new shit to polish.

And yeah that's SUPER harsh as an affront that seems directed at the younger under 25/30 generation. Yet it's not at those folk - it's at the system that has evolved in their time that they naturally have supported (digital downloads). And in just a very few years those same people in that same age group have massively magnified the resurgence of vinyl purchases. Go figure.

6) Back on subject - the FF best work in 20 years (IMHO) was done in at the Saint Cecilia Hotel in Texas when they were supposedly unwinding from Sonic Highways. A little old school including 7 Corners just belted out live. Maybe not one and done - but definitely done and won.

Does it need old school songs to be carefully re-learned and played to get that level of awesome? No - no way at all. It needs the band to sit down and say fuck all the management, all the labels. We are already multi millionaires, we just dont care about anything other than the music.

We're just gonna sit in a place we are comfortable for 25 days and record 20 songs and release it:

(I said back in another post months ago that "2020 Hindsight" might be involved, but I's like to think it will be a bunch of old vault releases that leads up to all new).

I was there
Old October 3rd 2019, 03:30 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:

Hey brah. I'm not claiming to be an expert on the Foo material being as though I'm only familiar with a few of their radio staples, but the songs that I am familiar with are more reminiscent of Nickelback than they are Pink Floyd. I'm not sure if I'm missing something, but why would you want them to release an album that sounds like Pink Floyd? I think that would come off more karaoke than it would a band with its own sound and image.
Old October 3rd 2019, 03:34 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FooZealand View Post

2) No band on earth right no would make a better album when told to "Go do your thing, and just fucking have fun".
Hey, brah. To each their own, but personally I think Guns N Roses would. Have you heard any of the recent Chinese Democracy era leaks? That jenk has some real potential, IMO. The songs Atlas Shrugged, Perhaps, and State of Grace are pretty tight. Give'm a listen.
Old October 3rd 2019, 11:29 PM
Have you found your way around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene Bubba Stokes View Post
Hey, brah. To each their own, but personally I think Guns N Roses would. Have you heard any of the recent Chinese Democracy era leaks? That jenk has some real potential, IMO. The songs Atlas Shrugged, Perhaps, and State of Grace are pretty tight. Give'm a listen.
Chinese Democracy was a complete shambles that failed to form any sort of listenable form after 12 years before the record company lost patience and put out the best they could patch together from it.

That is a perfect example of an artist that lost their objectivity. The only thing that saved Guns N Roses after that clusterfuck was Slash and Duff rejoining as Axl saw Slash's band delivering better records.