Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion > Foo Fighters Collections and Recordings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old February 28th 2019, 08:24 PM
Fooper!

Default Re: Record Store Day 3-inch Record???

So the 3 inch isn't going to be available in the UK according to the complete RSD list published on NME, looks like it's just for USA RSD.
Etihad Stadium,Manchester 2018
Sportpaleis Arena,Antwerp,2018
O2 Arena,London,2017
Nos Alive Festival,Lisbon,2017
Accor Arena,Paris,France,2017
Cheese & Grain,Frome,2017
Krakow Tauron Arena,2015
Milton Keynes National Bowl x2,2015
Lancashire CCC Ground,2015
Invictus Closing Concert,2014
Sound City Players, London,2013
Leeds Fest,2012
Milton Keynes,2011
Wembley Stadium,2008
Manchester City Stadium,2008
Old February 28th 2019, 08:53 PM
Have you found your way around

Quote:
Originally Posted by FooZealand View Post
Respectfully IMHO you missed the point here - MI is saying of all the releases there could be a good RSD release... but this isn't it.

And while overall I do agree RSD has become largely about what you say - for all of that there are still great awesome releases every year that you have never seen before and probably never will again, and yes indeed no doubt SOME of those only end up on vinyl directly BECAUSE of those big companies being involved.

It's surely a two way sword... if you buy everything from just one band (many do, often including me) you are gonna be the target market and be kinda screwed at least as far as "literal" uniqueness goes. Then again you often get releases that often become stupidly valuable (regardless of the very logic that said they should never have really been released in the first place).

FF have done stupidly well here really - Medium Rare... Laundry Room... I doubt any FF fan is going to say those were a commercial money grab that should never have seen the light of day... we just want MORE.

Even IF all we get is a "Dave said OK I'll play along" style release where it's just a 3 inch Big Me vinyl supporting the brand, I think even then you have to consider what I personally believe is in his head (as someone also 50)... whereby you do all the fuck you can to keep pushing and promoting the fact that vinyl is still alive and still growing. It's almost a mirage for most of us - for a long time (many people won't remember) it was all but dead... Few (aka sweet fuck all) bands continued to release on wax no matter the audience (or profit margin) ... and the Foos were one. Just imagine Dave said nah - I'll sit on 10-20K copies of TCATS vinyl until 2010 when they are worth $300 each lol.

So please, no disrespect - it's a valid point, but take a step back and weigh it all up - RSD still stands as a valid medium with real purpose. In the end it's down to the individual to be smart, do your research and spend wisely. Yes the resellers make it another level of clusterfuck these days - but that's on them not on RSD. Just for a moment consider the landscape if those same #$%^@ could do it to digital downloads as well...

And it is Dave - I won't bet against him doing a fast bait and switch... where there is a 3 inch AND another release we just aren't being told about. Dude is 50 this year - he has reason to play sillier games than ever...
Sorry, but I disagree strongly here.

This release not only forces the buyer to pay over the odds for a record still easily obtainable on regular vinyl, but you have to pay for hardware to play the damned thing. That is a double rip off for the fans.

As for Foo Fighters and RSD, I think releasing limited quantites to stores mean that only the first few in line have any chance of getting them. I queued early for SFTLR and still missed out and had to pay 50 on Ebay for a 10 record.

If this isn't about ripping off the customer they would have these releasees non limited but exclusive to independent stores.

As for the prices, last year I spent about 200 on RSD at retail price for the 4 Sigur Ros related items and a Bowie live album and 12" single.
The Alarm, Glasgow, May
Iron Maiden - Newcastle, May
Iron Maiden - Glasgow Hydro, May
Kiss - Glasgow Hydro, May
Guns 'N' Roses - London, June
Old March 1st 2019, 08:03 PM
Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilshack View Post
So the 3 inch isn't going to be available in the UK according to the complete RSD list published on NME, looks like it's just for USA RSD.
Boooooo!

But then again - perhaps I won't join the queue at 4am (ish) as previously planned.
Old March 1st 2019, 08:14 PM
Fooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wol View Post
Boooooo!

But then again - perhaps I won't join the queue at 4am (ish) as previously planned.

There is that, but now i will have to stalk ebay.
O2 Arena,London,2017
Krakow Tauron Arena,2015
Leeds Fest,2012
Milton Keynes,2011
Wembley Stadium,2008
Old March 1st 2019, 10:27 PM
The Sidekick

Can't see the price being too inflated on this on ebay, 5000 is a pretty big number and it's not exactly got anything interesting going on about, other than being mini.

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Old March 7th 2019, 05:32 AM
Easy For YOU To Say

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottish_foo View Post
Sorry, but I disagree strongly here.

This release not only forces the buyer to pay over the odds for a record still easily obtainable on regular vinyl, but you have to pay for hardware to play the damned thing. That is a double rip off for the fans.

As for Foo Fighters and RSD, I think releasing limited quantites to stores mean that only the first few in line have any chance of getting them. I queued early for SFTLR and still missed out and had to pay 50 on Ebay for a 10 record.

If this isn't about ripping off the customer they would have these releasees non limited but exclusive to independent stores.

As for the prices, last year I spent about 200 on RSD at retail price for the 4 Sigur Ros related items and a Bowie live album and 12" single.
Don't be sorry - you disagree and that is perfectly fine.

Can we go back to your first statement and maybe hopefully make more sense of my reply...

You first said (to which my reply was addressed):
"I'd disagree - Record Store Day is all about profiteering and greed. Forcing a double purchase of equipment plus media = more $$$."

IF YOU'D SAID...
"I'd disagree - THIS Record Store Day ITEM is all about profiteering and greed. Forcing a double purchase of equipment plus media = more $$$."

Then I'd have said... Yep I totally have to agree with you on everything you've said here - this release sucks on all those counts.

On one NEW comment you just made...

"As for Foo Fighters and RSD, I think releasing limited quantites to stores mean that only the first few in line have any chance of getting them. I queued early for SFTLR and still missed out and had to pay 50 on Ebay for a 10 record."

You can't blame the FF for that - it's the same for EVERY RSD release - and if you follow a lot of artists (even long gone or dare I say now dead) it's just worse - last year... getting there 3rd in Q and getting 2 of 4 I was after (while seeing the others go to people that were behind me but chose differently) was somehow actually worse than not having gone at all... I was grateful, but immediately wondering did I choose right - and why couldn't I just ask for the 4 I wanted and not have to fight in bins of randomly laid out records all scoured by scalpers 20-25 deep in the Q that didnt give a shit as their list was in the dozens - they scored hugely high percentages, and didnt give a shit they missed on some while I got 50%.

I've done this same bullshit for many years - you do it or give up - and then but ALL of what you want on eBay. IMHO - that is really losing. It could be better - a lot better, but it's what we have.

Maybe? worse than that though - stores often get more than they sell on RSD itself - but hold them over - some do it semi legit for very faithful customers out of customer purchase volume - and I have no some (but less) issues with that. Others just flick them on EB for maximum profits... even a year later I see (real RSD) stores still slowly releasing them.

But that's also really hard to prove as RSD itself doesn't EVER get all pressings out to all outlets by the day - so stuff is still coming into stores the following week that simply never made the Saturday - I've had IOU type orders faithfully fulfilled on Weds and Thursday with the guys overjoyed just to be able to call me and say fuck me dude this actually arrived if you want it it's yours...

I guess what I'm trying to really say is that there are SO many factors involved here re RSD...

Re THIS release... IMHO it's a shitter of RSD advertising and moneymaking and I'd like to have one (because it's FF), but it will be consigned to the one day when someone no longer wants it and needs quick money... category.

I was there
Old March 7th 2019, 05:42 AM
Easy For YOU To Say

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Can't see the price being too inflated on this on ebay, 5000 is a pretty big number and it's not exactly got anything interesting going on about, other than being mini.
2000 on this would be a huge number... I honestly haven't been following... have you seen anything that says you can play it on a std turntable?

I simply haven't looked at the physics of the stylus sitting happily in the groove like a 7 inch - logic says it might seem possible - though at some point the radius of the record to the spindle must become an issue? Maybe that only applies if it was bigger than 12"...

Point being - if anyone with a turntable can play it then 5000 is a massive number. If only anyone with the special 3" turntable can play it then 5000 is a fucking Foo Fighters wallpaper number - because that's all they'll be good for lol

I was there
Old March 8th 2019, 02:44 PM
Everything fades in time it's true...

Foo wallpaper! I love it!

As a collector I'd still like to get a copy, even if I can't play it (at a reasonable price anyway!).

Are there any US boardies on here that may be able to help me out so I don't have to resort to eBay?

Thanks in advance lovelies!
The O2 Arena 18-1-07
Wembley Stadium 6 & 7-8-08
Milton Keynes Bowl 3-7-11
Reading Festival 26-8-12
AccorHotels Arena 3-7-17
The O2 Arena 19-9-17
The Royal Albert Hall 21-9-17
Etihad Stadium 19-6-18
London Stadium 22 & 23-6-18
Pula Arena 18 & 19-6-19
Bellahouston Park 17-8-19
Vital Festival 19-8-19
RDS Arena 21-8-19
Leeds Festival 23-8-19
Reading Festival 25-8-19

Dave's Foo Flickr
Old March 8th 2019, 03:51 PM
Fooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_patch View Post
Foo wallpaper! I love it!

As a collector I'd still like to get a copy, even if I can't play it (at a reasonable price anyway!).

Are there any US boardies on here that may be able to help me out so I don't have to resort to eBay?

Thanks in advance lovelies!
Can I second that please?!😁
O2 Arena,London,2017
Krakow Tauron Arena,2015
Leeds Fest,2012
Milton Keynes,2011
Wembley Stadium,2008
Old March 12th 2019, 12:28 PM
Ready on your mark

Taylor's also putting out a 7" for RSD - an alternate version of 'Holy Man' with Brian May and Roger Taylor.
Philadelphia, 2016 (Chevy Metal)
Sydney, 2017 (Chevy Metal)
Adelaide / Brisbane / Sydney, 2018

FooFightersLive.com
Old March 21st 2019, 05:45 AM
Easy For YOU To Say

Quote:
Originally Posted by matineeidyll View Post
Taylor's also putting out a 7" for RSD - an alternate version of 'Holy Man' with Brian May and Roger Taylor.
Definitely need to add these links to that. It probably wont be too hard to secure on the day at 3000 copies - but it has a lot of history behind it, assuming this is the version detailed by Jon Stebbins / Brian May quotes at the bottom.

EDIT: Added Brian May's 2008 comments from his Soapbox site (https://brianmay.com/brian/brianssb/brianssb.html) seems sadly I can't 100% confirm these (2008 is too old?) but they come direct from the Steve Hoffman link below in 2008, nobody opposed them then, so seem 100% legit to me.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
RSD:
https://recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/10563

Dennis Wilson
Holy Man

DETAILS
Event: RECORD STORE DAY 2019
Release Date: 4/13/2019
Format: 7" Vinyl
Label: Legacy
Quantity: 3000
Release type: RSD Exclusive Release

Dennis Wilson wrote and recorded “Holy Man” in 1977 during the sessions for his legendary Pacific Ocean Blue, the only solo album released by The Beach Boys co-founder during his lifetime. In 2009, Taylor Hawkins of the Foo Fighters added vocals to the long-unfinished track; 10 years later, “Holy Man” receives new life with new vocals and additional instrumental backing from guitarist Brian May and drummer Roger Taylor of Queen. The single is backed with Wilson’s original instrumental version.

Holy Man (Dennis Wilson, Taylor Hawkins, Brian May, Roger Taylor) b/w Holy Man (Instrumental)
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

BBLegacy (2017):
https://twitter.com/beachboyslegacy/...03699052285952
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Steve Hoffman (2008):
https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...ly-man.148128/

"(Well sort of!) It turns out that on the new reissue of POB (Pacific Ocean Blue) the Taylor Hawkins version of Holy Man will be coming out as a single (possibly) but in an alternate version rocked up with Brian May and Roger Taylor doing instruments and harmonies, here's an article about it!;

It's all backed up by Jon Stebbins on the Smiley Smile board (2008):
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.p...ic,5486.0.html

Jon Stebbins May 06, 2008, 01:11:53 PM:
There's a possibility there will be a third non LP version of Holy Man released at some point separately from the POB/Bambu package...Itunes or a single...again its the same basic DW track with Taylor Hawkins' vocal...with some added production by the Queen guys. This was all experimental and it just depends on if Guercio and Sony are happy with the experiment. May I reiterate...Holy Man is the only track on the POB/Bambu that has recorded bits added beyond what DW originally cut, and the orig. pure DW version of HM is included in the set... so people don't freak out."
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Brian May's 2008 comments (per top edit):
"**Tue 20 May 08**
HOLY MAN
- a beautiful DENNIS WILSON TRACK

"Well, since many people have been asking, and the word seems to be out there ....

I got inspired when Taylor sent me the track in its raw state, with a really soulful vocal from Taylor. It was a song which Dennis Wilson had begun, shortly before he died, but never finished. Beautiful piano playing, wonderful spiritual feel. The producers of the new Dennis Wilson release had asked Taylor Hawkins to sing on the track, and, by instinctive 'feel', finish the song. He had done an amazing job. Taylor had a feeling we could contribute, so he sent me a ProTools session of it. If you were a fan of the Beach Boys, you'll remember Dennis was not known as the principal songwriter, and was regarded by many as just a band member who was carried along. But, of all of the band, it was only Dennis who actually led the life of a surfer, and as time went on, it became obvious that he had a lot to say. He came into his own as a writer, and is now regarded by many as truly at the heart of what the Beach Boys were, and are, in the history of Rock.

So the track arrived, and I was moved ... so much so, that it hadn't even got to the end of the first playing before I was down in the studio, playing along ... inspired. I plunged in, and did a kind of resculpting, about three days work, as perhaps you'll eventually hear - and sent back a rough mix of what I'd done. It involved mapping and singing some backing vocals for the lead vocal to bounce off, building the rhythm track with guitars, and playing a solo. I then extended the song a little, to try to make the point a little stronger, and made an ending which resolved to something very much like the opening of the track - just subtly changed. The whole track spoke to me like a poem, and seemed to be steeped in the spirit of this mysterious man, the Beach Boy Who Surfed. And I wanted to do my bit to realise it to the full. Taylor was hugely enthusiastic, and we then asked Roger to add his magic. Roger loved it too, added his voice to the harmonies, and did some nice percussion, so the whole thing now had a subtle Queen overtone. We all loved the track - and hoped that we would see it on the Dennis album.

Sadly, we then found out that the producers of the album had gone ahead and compiled the album without waiting for us. I think there is some plan to issue it as a download, but obviously, having put so much love into it, we were a little disappointed, Taylor and Roger and me.

But such is life. It was still a nice experience doing it. Those moments are precious, and it's a fact of life that they don't always lead to something commercially successful, or even get heard. It's the moments of creative joy which matter ... and, in a way, this brought us closer to Taylor. And maybe there will yet be a good outcome."

I was there

Last edited by FooZealand : March 21st 2019 at 06:17 AM.