Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion > Foo Fighters Collections and Recordings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old August 1st 2018, 09:46 AM
Easy For YOU To Say

Default Re: Shit That Will Make You Cry...

PART 9A

Tim:
I would send layout (art, mechanicals) to printer -- they make a negative or film from the layout -- the printer makes a proof (blueline, chromalin, or B/W print) -- they send that to me for corrections, etc. -- I send back the marked up proof, they make corrections (if any) -- they print job.

A blueline is given to show fonts, art and layout -- made from negatives for final layout correction markup.
A Chromalin is for color proofing of art. (Chromalin™ (Brand name) is made from 4/c film (or negatives) for color proofing and correction.)
B/W print is generally made for silk screening -- in this case, the cassette plastic housing

Also in mystery parcel 3...

The complete original 1995 US CD "blueline" insert booklet, including Tim's red marked up font approval/corrections. Another one of a kind chunk of history:

Old August 1st 2018, 09:48 AM
Easy For YOU To Say

PART 9B

1995 US CD "blueline" insert booklet (part two):

Old August 1st 2018, 09:52 AM
The Sidekick

Wow, you really do have a lot of clutter now don't you.

Thanks for that picture from the first gig, do you/Tim know if Jeff took any others? If those two previously circulating photos are his? I never found a photographer name when they first surfaced, be good to get it confirmed and make sure he's credited in future, if they are.

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.

Last edited by Simon : August 5th 2018 at 12:49 PM.
Old August 1st 2018, 09:20 PM
Visiting is pretty...

[quote=Simon;4197875]Wow, you really do have a lot of clutter now don't you.

Thanks for that picture from the first gig, do you/Tim know if Jeff took any others? If those two previously circulating photos are his? I never found a photographer name when they first surfaced, be good to get it confirmed and make sure he's credited in future, if they are.

Jeff was shooting throughout the show (I've never seen those shots)
I needed a photo of Willy for the album so I asked Jeff if he had one...
he sent me one.

I don't know who shot the other two that are out there but Jeff didn't
(he's in both of them) Haha!
Old August 1st 2018, 09:24 PM
Visiting is pretty...

That's Jeff in the yellow shirt behind David.
Old August 1st 2018, 09:26 PM
Visiting is pretty...

FYI -- The red X's on the blueline are there to match up the folding lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FooZealand View Post
PART 9B

1995 US CD "blueline" insert booklet (part two):

Old August 2nd 2018, 04:24 AM
Easy For YOU To Say

And isn't there some artistic-type dude in here somewhere too? And someone holding a camera that well... common sense and FF 101 history knowledge should make the name fairly straightforward.

And Dave knows a recording exists - he's did originally hear it - but it could be long gone now. What's interesting to me is how laissez faire he always is his old work - including with Barrett and the Reel demo sessions - oh yeah we did that - oh that's right shiiii...it... then he turns around like here and lets out what is actually the real truth lol - how he's hunted and hunted for it. He's actually pretty anal about the band's history, if not his own.

And I'm surprised nobody has ever jumped on him since this for the story behind tearing down his own band's debut venue..

--------------------------
The show took place for a small group of friends and family on February 19th, 1995 in downtown Seattle, and Grohl has long been in the process of looking for a bootleg of it. “There’s a tape, we’ve been searching for that tape for fucking years,” he says. “Somebody has it. I think I know who has it, but someone’s got it and we’ve been trying to get it, and that’s actually what I wanted to release – but we just couldn’t get our fucking hands on it.”

As far as how the show went, the frontman – who is this year’s Record Store Day ambassador – still remembers the pressure he felt to get it right. “It’s a funny thing when your new band decides to play in front of people,” he says, leaving out the fact that it was also his first gig since Nirvana. “At first, it’s terrifying, and we thought the most comfortable way of easing into being the Foo Fighters would be to have a keg party and wait until everyone was wicked fucking drunk and then start playing these songs that no one’s ever heard.”

Regarding the venue, sometimes billed as the Boathouse, Grohl says it was at a spot called the Marine Building. “I don’t think it’s there anymore – actually I know it’s not there anymore because we fucking helped tear it down, but that’s another story,” he says with a laugh. “But it was just off the highway where a couple of [bassist] Nate [Mendel]’s friends lived in these lofts, I think illegally, and one of them was big enough that we could put our gear in there and have a party and we decided that would be the perfect place.”

The reason why he wanted a low-key first concert was because of the buzz surrounding the lineup – which included his Nirvana bandmate Pat Smear on guitar, and Sunny Day Real Estate’s rhythm section (bassist Nate Mendel and drummer William Goldsmith, the latter of whom left the group in 1997) – and he wanted to ease into things. “There was a lot of interest right off the bat, and that scared us because we hadn’t done anything yet,” he says. “We started getting interview requests the minute people found out we were a band. We didn’t even have anything to talk about yet, except for the past, and we didn’t want that. We wanted to do something new and we wanted to feel new again. So, the loft party seemed like the perfect place to start.”

That night, the group played “basically the whole first album,” as well as “Winnebago” (from Grohl’s Pocketwatch cassette release) and “Podunk,” a B side on the “Big Me” single. “I remember it being such a huge relief that we just made it to the end and then it was maybe a month later that I heard the recording of it – and I was fucking mortified,” Grohl says with a laugh. “I thought we sounded great and I heard the recording like, ‘Ohhh . . . that’s the Foo Fighters? We’ve got to practice.'” He laughs.

Despite his memory of the recording, Grohl is still seeking out a copy of the recording. “It’s kind of like some Raiders of the Lost Ark shit,” he says.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...rtified-90290/
--------------------------
Old August 2nd 2018, 04:31 AM
Easy For YOU To Say

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaborart View Post
FYI -- The red X's on the blueline are there to match up the folding lines.
Ha - how logical... here I was thinking they meant the panels were good and lined up...
Old August 5th 2018, 12:18 PM
Easy For YOU To Say

PART 10A

2016 Email exchange on the fact that Tim was "doing his thing" (my words lol) massaging a bunch of stuff for the first ever and only 1995 video shoot: "I'll Stick Around".

2016 misc notations by Tim on emailed images sent to me... (you can apply these easily enough).
* Gerry Casale (Devo) directing "I'll Stick Around" video shoot
* David exhausted during filming of "I'll Stick Around" video

Subject:Re: Foo Stuff
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2016 22:27:45 -0500
To: Mike

[Yeah, it's all coming back to me now...

It was the hottest summer day stuck inside a warehouse with no air conditioning...ouch

Gerry was amazing! He was wearing a three-piece black suit through the whole thing and never broke a bead of sweat!?!?!

While he and I were together in the lunchroom afterward, I asked him about it and he simply said "it's mind over matter".

Another interesting fact about the shoot was that Willy had left all of his cymbal stands at a gig in Portland the night before...

(INSERTED NOTE BY MIKE: Based on all known info to hand (and the insane amount of stuff that happened from April to July 1995 as confirmed by Tim, that "Portland" ref looks to place it as the day after here):
(Thanks Simon!: La Luna 13th May 1995 Portland, OR, United States https://www.foofighterslive.com/show...995-la-luna-32 )

To save the day (and the shoot), and being a drummer myself, I raced home and got my cymbals, Tama HiHat and cymbal stands so the shoot could move forward.

I still have the Foo Brite™ "toothpaste" backup from the prop guy.]

Various shit from Me... mostly out of my head as you can imagine...

TIM:
Thu, 1 Dec 2016 02:50:17 -0500
[I'll see if I can dig up the tube of Foo-Brite. It's just a prop --- in actuality, it's a tube of Crest with a cheap paper wrapper around it!]

Me/Tim (various 2016 emails truncated "Re Foobrite"):
Me (Re one tube pic sent by email): Is that from your work in progress file - pens, scissors etc with tube?
Tim: That was actually the prop table for the video shoot.

Me:How did you get the decals etc looking so real even there? You said it was a tube of Crest - you sure can't tell.
Tim: The "Foo Brite" artwork was a color photocopy on bond paper (nothing fancy) and attached to a Crest tube. You can see the wrinkled paper edge towards the bottom of the tube.

Me: What's the paperwork under the tube with stuff crossed out?
Tim: The "paperwork" is the shooting script for the crew to follow so the shoot would move along as quickly and smoothly as possible.

2018: Still part of Parcel 3 - One of only two original 1995 made print sets of all 25 images taken at that first video shoot. I DO NOT own the negatives.

Images have been taken by camera deliberately, cropped, resized and watermarked for pretty obvious reasons so that everyone involved can be comfortable they are "out there" (like "The Truth" lol).

Rear of photo and final "Foo Brite" images in full, to show they are photos, and to show "non-people" images completely.

Old August 5th 2018, 12:19 PM
Easy For YOU To Say

PART 10B

Foo Fighters 1995 Video Shoot Part 2/7

Old August 5th 2018, 12:19 PM
Easy For YOU To Say

PART 10C

Foo Fighters 1995 Video Shoot Part 3/7

Old August 5th 2018, 12:20 PM
Easy For YOU To Say

PART 10D

Foo Fighters 1995 Video Shoot Part 4/7

Old August 5th 2018, 12:20 PM
Easy For YOU To Say

PART 10E

Foo Fighters 1995 Video Shoot Part 5/7

Old August 5th 2018, 12:21 PM
Easy For YOU To Say

PART 10F

Foo Fighters 1995 Video Shoot Part 6/7

WTF?? - THIS DIDN'T MAKE THE I'LL STICK (My Tongue) AROUND VIDEO ???

Old August 5th 2018, 12:22 PM
Easy For YOU To Say

PART 10G

Foo Fighters 1995 Video Shoot Part 7/7

Old August 5th 2018, 12:23 PM
Easy For YOU To Say

PART 11

NOT the first T-Shirt story... (Continued some more...)

The "ACTUAL" first t-shirt (of 24) is now already documented here in this thread.

So what about that better known "NOT First T-Shirt?"

I proudly told Tim I had the first T-Shirt....

TIM: Thu, 1 Dec 2016 02:50:17 -0500
Hahaha that Mike Watt tour shirt is one of mine!
I even made up the "The not too terribly hard..." tagline on the back...
Might even have that original artwork somewhere??
Great to see it in your collection! I haven't seen that one in a while.

TIM: Thu, 1 Dec 2016 02:56:38 -0500
Tidbit: Incidentally, that Watt Tour shirt isn't the first ever Foo Fighter T-shirt...
I did a design that David printed only a few of but for some reason, didn't take them out of the van to give away on the night of the Velvet Elvis show here in Seattle.

Sure enough he found that artwork a while later... (I DO NOT own this but we agree it should be shared).

At the time I really struggled with this as I didn't yet know about the Velvet Elvis 24 t-shirt properly.

As with "Cows" it's black and white so it can be faxed through to management for approval. It's SO early in the process even Tim wasn't 100% sure at the time if it was 28 or 29 days!

And the Roswell logo on the sleeves idea didn't fly - Tim can confirm, but there were a bunch of push backs around cost and "flamboyance" based on a mix of nobody knowing how the music was going to sell (vs expenditure), and protecting famous entities from a "flop" vs making it huge and massively successful.
Ultimate sole art managers nightmare right there!

ME: (Being my usual level of stupid "funny"):
So was it 29 or 28 days? Or was it: "The Not Too Terribly Hard Twenty Eight Or Twenty Nine Shows in Forty Two Days (Depending On Who You Spoke To, And How Much You Drank) North American Tour with Watt"

TIM: HA! as you can see on the fax, I wasn't quite sure either!

Sorry that it's VERY HEAVILY watermarked, but I'm sure anyone that really cares about just "seeing it" will fully understand.

Old August 5th 2018, 12:28 PM
Easy For YOU To Say

PART 12

NOT the first T-Shirt story... (Continued - STLL some more...)

So this is really just a priceless piece of "extra" history around the "NOT but First" shirt that simply MUST be shared... (as above):

TIM: Thu, 1 Dec 2016 02:50:17 -0500
Might even have that original artwork somewhere??

TIM: Tue, 13 Dec 2016 22:21:44 -0500
Hey Mike,
I found the original artwork for the Watt T-shirt (back logo)!
I glued it to my desk lamp back in 1995 -- HA!

ME: Various confused as fuck (back then) emails...

TIM 2016:
That art stuck on my lamp (taken just a few days ago), IS the Watt shirt back logo!
Being glued to my hot lamp with Spraymount™ has made it brittle and discolored --
It has been flaking pieces off over the years (probably in my coffee) -- that's why the "F" is missing.

What's ultimately the most priceless and surreal part of this, is Tim knows he has the first ever artwork for the FF logo somewhere... will hunt for it...

Then realizes he's so sure he has it (but not where it is despite my pressing)... then OH! It's been stuck on the back of his fucking desk lamp 21+ years "guiding" all his work...

For fuck's sake... let's talk about "Foo Karma!".

For FUCK'S SAKE... let's talk about "FRESH POTS!" LOL.

Flakey Fighters (™1995 - that's for you Poppy4580)
Old August 5th 2018, 12:29 PM
Easy For YOU To Say

PART 13

And if you thought that must be everything on the first T-Shirts then NO again LOL

Tim's other famous well known design - the immortal rare original 1995 Glow Alien. A brand new update for me... straight into the mix here:

TIM: 21 July 2018 05:49
Look what I found!
The original layout for the Glow-in-the-dark Alien shirt!
You will notice that it was changed -- probably because the two inks wouldn't achieve the desired effect printed over one another.

Me:
Two inks together! We sure didn't end up with this design! A Day and Night shirt on ONE side was the original plan!
In the end we got glow on the front - and Roswell on the back.

Old August 5th 2018, 12:30 PM
Easy For YOU To Say

PART 14

So if you ever had the thought of collecting EVERY setlist... then I'm sorry but you're FUCKED!!! LOL

2016: Out of nowhere I'm sent a photo...

ME: Tim please WTF... ??

TIM: That was the setlist for the Watt show in Seattle.

(2018 ME: The King Cat Theater 11th May 1995 Seattle, WA (Kudos Simon again, thanks mate - so easy!)
https://www.foofighterslive.com/show...cat-theater-30
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/mike-...-53fe6bd9.html

2016 (Memorable crazy emails...)
ME: It appears to be the immortal hand of Mr Grohl?

TIM: Yes, Dave wrote it out!

ME: But is that ON Mr Watt, or is that William?

TIM: Hahaha -- that's Willy! They didn't have any paper to write down the set list!
I had a Design Marker in my pocket, so I said to Dave "Write it on Willy's chest -- that would be hilarious!"
I'm not sure how long it took to get that off...it was permanent marker!

Old August 5th 2018, 12:42 PM
How Do You Do

Those 'I'll Stick Around' music video set photos are incredible.

Admin @FooFightersUK