Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > Tour Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old March 2nd 2015, 07:16 PM
Ready on your mark

Default Re: New Zealand & Australia Tour

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowblue View Post
I am making Homer Simpson drooling sounds right now. You lucky devils. Very nice.

Adelaide / Sydney, 2011
Brisbane / Sydney / Adelaide, 2015
Gold Coast, 2015 (Chevy Metal)
Philadelphia, 2016 (Chevy Metal)
Sydney, 2017 (Chevy Metal)
Adelaide / Brisbane / Sydney, 2018
Old March 2nd 2015, 07:25 PM
Easy For YOU To Say

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledarkpoet View Post
My comment to this is that they used to. Back in 2007 on the UK Tour I saw them a number of times, and whilst they had a core setlist they did change things up here and there, I suppose that's what I like. I don't know what makes them stop doing that.. is it stadiums?

Instead of covers how about a Foo Fighters wayback machine, that plays rarer songs from the first ten years? Walking After You, February Stars, Aurora...

I suppose I'd be easy to please, as long as its a rare Foo track I'd be happy with any changes.. but I also recognise that its doubtful, still we can but hope...
No question it's the stadiums. Hobart is all the proof you need - and yet its a smaller place anyway so there were probably just as many first timers as in any of the stadium gigs, percentage wise.

Size is what it's all about for sure - the literal aspect in two ways - venue and people.

You are in a big stadium - you want to "reach" everyone and make them feel they got something special, so the end stage Wheels number was brought out in 2011, kept and now expanded into a B stage that is much more in the centre of things that everyone can feel much closer to. So that's why that happens for sure - why it has to be covers ALL the time when it's used - only Dave can answer that, I think that's the biggest thing they could/should change.

Then there are the people numbers - like I say it's all about what supposedly creates the best reception for the largest percentage of people. So they play the hits. They have enough so that's not a problem. Why do they play the same ones? Well some are rest songs that again fit with the go out and meet those people at the back thing "Wheels / Skin" - and some are probably seen as staples that simple must be played if Dave's voice is up to it. But I think we are all in agreement they could change 4 or 5 continuously and still meet every part of what they are doing in each stadium.

And we see from Hobart (like there was any question anyway) they can change it all up at a moments notice - so it really does make you wonder. You could say well they are getting old and it's "easier" for a bunch of 40+ guys to play the same shit night after night... but I don't think that's it either.
Old March 2nd 2015, 07:26 PM
Easy For YOU To Say

Quote:
Originally Posted by matineeidyll View Post
I am making Homer Simpson drooling sounds right now. You lucky devils. Very nice.
Hate to think what the Town Hall set was going to be...
Old March 2nd 2015, 07:29 PM
Ready on your mark

Meanwhile, someone mentioned an issue with Taylor's ankle and that Pat was white girl wasted.

Adelaide / Sydney, 2011
Brisbane / Sydney / Adelaide, 2015
Gold Coast, 2015 (Chevy Metal)
Philadelphia, 2016 (Chevy Metal)
Sydney, 2017 (Chevy Metal)
Adelaide / Brisbane / Sydney, 2018
Old March 2nd 2015, 07:32 PM
everything fades in time it's true...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FooZealand View Post
Hate to think what the Town Hall set was going to be...
Yeah, a huge bummer for you guys. I imagine it would have been very similar to the US club gigs. I left the NOLA show a happy guy. For the life of me, I still do not understand why they aren't playing The Feast and The Famine more.
Old March 2nd 2015, 07:47 PM
There's something out there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by twhite1221 View Post
Yeah, a huge bummer for you guys. I imagine it would have been very similar to the US club gigs. I left the NOLA show a happy guy. For the life of me, I still do not understand why they aren't playing The Feast and The Famine more.
That song has a lot of lyrics for Dave to remember, maybe that's why
Old March 2nd 2015, 09:53 PM
The Boss

Quote:
Plus 1 vote to ban this user - utterly unacceptable comment .
We asked that everyone stop. This type of shit doesn't help.

Drop it. If anymore fighting happens we will ban who's necessary.

Move on.

Follow my dog on Instagram: jackthekeeshond
Old March 3rd 2015, 01:47 AM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo3001 View Post
Excellent set!
This is the first compliment I have seen for a set all tour, but I agree. I've always liked breakdown, but I like the fact that it was the only cover even better!
Rochester, NY 7/28/08 l Chicago, IL 8/7/11 l Phoenix, AZ 10/16/11 l Boston, MA 11/16/11 l New Orleans, LA 5/6/12 l New York, NY 9/29/12 l Richmond, VA 9/17/14 l Washington DC 7/4/15 l Boston, MA 7/18/2015 l Boston, MA 7/19/2015
Old March 3rd 2015, 02:07 AM
Dancing with the bones of my buried past

Quote:
Today in the WORLD there are 40,900 members of this board. We'd fill a stadium once if we all went to a gig.

So the band could play us all our requests for an 8 hour gig and leave us all totally quiet and happy.

Then what do they play to at other 70 odd gigs?

Fact is we dont all get to go to one gig and they have to cater to the fact that we're a tiny part of each audience. So it's simple math(s) that we'll never be totally happy - and the bigger the band gets the worse it could possibly be.

Yes it's a business, but they are playing music - playing what they want and what they know the MAJORITY want to hear. And the bigger they get the lesser we are the majority etc etc.

I actually do agree that you go to see them live and you take what you get. I personally don't hold a candle to insults on set lists - it makes no sense to me, but that's my opinion. I don't have any issue with any other opinion, i just know how hard it is to please even most of the people that will go - and like I say we simply aren't most of the people that will go.

Could they change things up and make it more exciting - yeah sure easy - should they in my opinion - yes they should. Can I blame them that they don't - no because how many fans actually go to more than 1 gig - be a percentage under 1 probably.

I'm happy to have seen them live, knowing many still can't even on this huge tour. They played me two pretty great gigs in 4 days. Me personally I can't find any way to shit on the band for that, regardless what they played.
So, I guess they wait until they become less popular (it will happen) and the "generic rock band" crowds stop coming to their gigs, so they play smaller shows which are attended by their most-enthusiastic fans? (notice I didn't say "real" fans). I suppose that's the answer. Then they might play lesser known, less commercial tracks because the majority of the crowd will know their entire back catalogue and will be stoked to hear those tracks. I guess I'm just trying to rationalise the business side of their coming all the way to ANZ with what I would like to hear myself (and how, in regards venue etc). I mean how much more cash do these guys need to make? It's a difficult question. You like to think they're doing it for love (it's what Dave likes to point out), but it would be naive to think the $$ don't drive the majority of the action. Personally, I don't think I would go see them again in the current state of affairs, but then who knows what the case might be 3 or 4 years down the track if that's how long they take to come back?
Old March 3rd 2015, 02:46 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelham Blue View Post
So, I guess they wait until they become less popular (it will happen) and the "generic rock band" crowds stop coming to their gigs, so they play smaller shows which are attended by their most-enthusiastic fans? (notice I didn't say "real" fans). I suppose that's the answer. Then they might play lesser known, less commercial tracks because the majority of the crowd will know their entire back catalogue and will be stoked to hear those tracks. I guess I'm just trying to rationalise the business side of their coming all the way to ANZ with what I would like to hear myself (and how, in regards venue etc). I mean how much more cash do these guys need to make? It's a difficult question. You like to think they're doing it for love (it's what Dave likes to point out), but it would be naive to think the $$ don't drive the majority of the action. Personally, I don't think I would go see them again in the current state of affairs, but then who knows what the case might be 3 or 4 years down the track if that's how long they take to come back?
My thoughts exactly. Someone here speaks some sense.

If they did it for the love, they'd just be playing 4 x club shows per city, playing different sets each night, some fans would probably go to 2 or more shows knowing there's going to be something different each night. But alas, $$ makes the world go 'round. As it stands, if the band continue down this path, Saturday will mark my last FFs show for a long while.
Old March 3rd 2015, 05:23 AM
Grave Rohl

Hobart was my 9th Foo show, and it was hands down the greatest show of theirs I've seen (And I was at the LA Club gig)

There was no walkway and no B stage, no acoustic break (Skin and bones was full band), and they didn't even have thier light rig. The crowd was close enough for actual interaction and there was an actual surprise in the setlist (Hey JP wasn't THAT far reaching, but still).
It was hot and sweaty and sticky and amazing and felt like a fucking gig, not a production.

PAT SMEAR PLAYED LEXICON DEVIL AND I WILL NEVER RECOVER. life highlight. dead.fucking.stoked.

My favourite Face to Face shirt was destroyed and Shifty copped an eyeful (I don't think he minded, and he was generally nice about it, hahaha) and I scored some stuff from the foo crew because they're all fucking sweeties (also, boobs. Thanks boobs)

The massive arenas lose something. Even in the front row in Melbourne I zoned out a few times, I can't imagine what its like in the nose bleeds. I know 5,000 capacity venues are generally out of the question but I wouldn't even mind if it went back to Rod Laver (15-ish,000). Please?

(Kirri, you're gonna hate me tomorrow. I am a notorious whiner. I make wanking motions during excessive breakdowns and I fake yawn through Wheels. It's honestly all in good fun, obviously or I wouldn't fuckin' be there. Just don't get cranky with me )
Old March 3rd 2015, 07:42 AM
Grave Rohl

Dude, you're the one that sounds like a troll.
They referenced a cultural occurrence that happens here at any given pub on any given night, and it was relevant to the thread.
You're making it something it isn't.

And yeah, I'm inserting myself into a a discussion, because it's a public discussion forum. (also I didn't read the whole shebang because I'm not all the interested)

Last edited by geo. : March 3rd 2015 at 07:48 AM.
Old March 3rd 2015, 07:46 AM
Easy For YOU To Say

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post
Move on.
Sure NP
Old March 3rd 2015, 08:01 AM
The Boss

Sigh...warning given.

Follow my dog on Instagram: jackthekeeshond
Old March 3rd 2015, 11:01 AM
Have you found your way around

Can't we all just got along,

can we get alon?

Listen to Ming
rock on, no fights
Old March 3rd 2015, 11:18 AM
I AM EVERYWHERE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo3001 View Post
And no Wheels!

Doesn't read on the setlist but if TLT was all full band that would make the set even better!
It was full-band TLT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo. View Post
Hobart was my 9th Foo show, and it was hands down the greatest show of theirs I've seen (And I was at the LA Club gig)

There was no walkway and no B stage, no acoustic break (Skin and bones was full band), and they didn't even have thier light rig. The crowd was close enough for actual interaction and there was an actual surprise in the setlist (Hey JP wasn't THAT far reaching, but still).
It was hot and sweaty and sticky and amazing and felt like a fucking gig, not a production.

PAT SMEAR PLAYED LEXICON DEVIL AND I WILL NEVER RECOVER. life highlight. dead.fucking.stoked.

My favourite Face to Face shirt was destroyed and Shifty copped an eyeful (I don't think he minded, and he was generally nice about it, hahaha) and I scored some stuff from the foo crew because they're all fucking sweeties (also, boobs. Thanks boobs)

The massive arenas lose something. Even in the front row in Melbourne I zoned out a few times, I can't imagine what its like in the nose bleeds. I know 5,000 capacity venues are generally out of the question but I wouldn't even mind if it went back to Rod Laver (15-ish,000). Please?

(Kirri, you're gonna hate me tomorrow. I am a notorious whiner. I make wanking motions during excessive breakdowns and I fake yawn through Wheels. It's honestly all in good fun, obviously or I wouldn't fuckin' be there. Just don't get cranky with me )
You probably don't want to hear this, but you're me if I'd started 10 years before I did. My first show was when I was 35, so if you keep this up...well...

I'm stoked you loved the show; Daz and I hung up the back and were quite excited by Rope, Hey JP and Dear Rosemary. And were extra-stoked that they dropped the covers set. You play a town you haven't been to for 17 years, you play your songs. Seems logical to me, but perhaps I've been channelling Mr Spock lately.

I loved seeing the crowd go nuts for LTF, My Hero and Monkey Wrench. That's what makes me smile most of all nowadays.

The crowd cleared out and went for a beer for Skin & Bones, CDITS and the latest songs. Then flooded back in when All My Life started up; I had to shove a few tools aside in order to breathe. But all round, I have no doubt it was the best show they'll play on this tour.

It was like seeing them in *insert your local small town here*, because Hobart is as small as our capital cities get. They'll never play a venue that small here again, unless...(and please don't get me started on that, because I'll just go on a "but PEARL JAM DO IT ALL THE TIME" rant and I'll ruin everything...)
Homer: "Oh Lisa, I just meant that marriage is like a coffin. And each kid is another nail..."
Enter at your peril. I will not be held responsible.

"To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded."-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old March 3rd 2015, 11:30 AM
Grave Rohl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara View Post
You probably don't want to hear this, but you're me if I'd started 10 years before I did. My first show was when I was 35, so if you keep this up...well...
Life goal, Lars. Hahaha.
Honestly the only way I'd keep this up is if they did play shit like last night on the regular. Deep down I really am one of the assholes that's getting tired of the same old shit and the soulless arenas/stadiums.

I almost believed I was finally over them until that asshole Shiflett walked out on Saturday and pointed at me and I was instantly 14 again. God fucking dammit.

I will always see them when they're nearby regardless, but I don't envision my show count even hitting 20
Old March 3rd 2015, 11:40 AM
I AM EVERYWHERE

Quote:
Life goal, Lars. Hahaha.
Honestly the only way I'd keep this up is if they did play shit like last night on the regular. Deep down I really am one of the assholes that's getting tired of the same old shit and the soulless arenas/stadiums.

I almost believed I was finally over them until that asshole Shiflett walked out on Saturday and pointed at me and I was instantly 14 again. God fucking dammit.

I will always see them when they're nearby regardless, but I don't envision my show count even hitting 20
If I'd managed to make it to the rail, believe me, I'd still be deeply in love. I'd be taking my photos and pointing at the lesser Shiflett and getting Dave to pose in front of me and I'd be right there with you.

But I think the romance is gone.

There's less than a handful of songs I'd love to hear live, but I know that it's not gonna happen. Now it's all about meeting up with friends I've made thanks to the band, rather than the band itself.
Homer: "Oh Lisa, I just meant that marriage is like a coffin. And each kid is another nail..."

"To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded."-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old March 3rd 2015, 11:55 AM
Grave Rohl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara View Post
If I'd managed to make it to the rail, believe me, I'd still be deeply in love. I'd be taking my photos and pointing at the lesser Shiflett and getting Dave to pose in front of me and I'd be right there with you.

But I think the romance is gone.

There's less than a handful of songs I'd love to hear live, but I know that it's not gonna happen. Now it's all about meeting up with friends I've made thanks to the band, rather than the band itself.
You should have stayed, you would have got in! The dude next to us was rad and let Tania in...And my shirt might've survived if you'd been there to help (lol, lesser. So much has changed since my first show. 10 YEARS AGO)

And I get the friend thing. I think why the club show was as great as it was, was because Cass was there with me (and Tai of course, but it was a legit life goal of Cass and I to get to a show together)
Old March 3rd 2015, 12:14 PM
I AM EVERYWHERE

Quote:
You should have stayed, you would have got in! The dude next to us was rad and let Tania in...And my shirt might've survived if you'd been there to help (lol, lesser. So much has changed since my first show. 10 YEARS AGO)

And I get the friend thing. I think why the club show was as great as it was, was because Cass was there with me (and Tai of course, but it was a legit life goal of Cass and I to get to a show together)
Eh, I was content to meet up with Daz and hang at the back with him. Glad that Tania got to the rail though, she deserved it.