Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion > Foo Fighters Collections and Recordings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old January 24th 2011, 08:58 AM
Insert Wookie noise here..

Default Re: When/Why did you start collecting?

First of all,

Damn Simon, that's a great list of live shows!

I started collecting from the moment the Foo's started. Just bought the This Is A Call single, then the album, and then all started spinning out of control

Most special and expensive stuff came a while later, when I had some more money. Let's face it, students don't have that much money to spare, and I was like 16 when TIAC came out.

I had the luxury of working in a record store too. So I immediately knew when stuff was coming out and when it was being released.

I have to say it's cool that a lot of you are collecting the real physical stuff. Keep it up! Support your artist for real!

(part of my) Record Collection

http://www.discogs.com/user/boyschouten/collection
Old January 24th 2011, 09:30 AM
I'd rather leave than suffer this

I started with nirvana in 1999 and bought my first Foo stuff in 2001( vinyl singles) on a record fair.
Than a view years i didn't collect but only got to concerts,
the past 2 years i was really starting to collect Nirvana from ebay and the Foos started about a year ago. At the same time i started My Qotsa, Bloc party and Feeder collection. Mainly Vinyl , Maxi singles and promos
But it cost to much to keep all these bands updated.

Some numbers
Bloc party about 50 pieces mainly Vinyl and Promos
Feeder about 80 pieces mainly Vinyl and singles
Foos about 130 pieces I collect everything
Nirvana about 60 pieces almost every vinyl, accept love buzz TO expensive
Qotsa about 35 pieces mainly singles and vinyl albums.
Old January 24th 2011, 02:29 PM
I'll Stick Around

longever

it's nice to see a fellow QOTSA fan out here!
Old January 24th 2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjlocke View Post
longever

it's nice to see a fellow QOTSA fan out here!
Thanks
It's hard to collect Qotsa, the prices are high for original items and there a lot fake, I;m happy the gonna re-issue there first LP.
Old January 24th 2011, 03:32 PM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by longever View Post
Thanks
It's hard to collect Qotsa, the prices are high for original items and there a lot fake, I;m happy the gonna re-issue there first LP.
You're preaching to the choir, my brutha! I only got "Fun Machine..." promo cd and couple of their regular albums. Bought a copy of Japan CD+DVD edition of "Lullabies..." from some Japan dude just last week.

I'm also looking forward to the re-release of their s/t album. Especially on vinyl. I even pre-ordered one through eBay from some british dude, who's promising to hook me and other buyers with copies from the 1st press which is supposed to be on color vinyl. And I really hope they will release it on March as they promise I'm really tired of getting release date postponed. I have a cople of FF vinyls, I have TCV vinyl now I need my QOTSA fix!))

I thought they only faked s/t LPs, is there more fakes I don't know about? Hope they don't fake 'Lullabies' vinyl - that's my next target.
Old January 24th 2011, 05:19 PM

I know there are a lot of Bootleg lp's from Qotsa, like live in amsterdam and so on

here some info about there first LP
http://www.discogs.com/Queens-Of-The...ge/master/3209

I think there is no counterfeit of lullabies but i'm not sure.
The price of it is also a bit high. I got mine for 28 Euro in a record store, but on ebay it;s about 50
Old January 24th 2011, 07:12 PM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by longever View Post
I know there are a lot of Bootleg lp's from Qotsa, like live in amsterdam and so on

here some info about there first LP
http://www.discogs.com/Queens-Of-The...ge/master/3209

I think there is no counterfeit of lullabies but i'm not sure.
The price of it is also a bit high. I got mine for 28 Euro in a record store, but on ebay it;s about 50
Last QOTSA-related question here not to flood the topic with non-foo stuff: does the vinyl have anything special? (I mean it differs drastically from the way CD is designed - front and back covers changed, songs order too, every side has a name) Like, say picture sleeves for records or maybe lyric sheet?
Old January 24th 2011, 07:58 PM
The Boss

My collection has actually gotten less impressive. From like 1999-2002 or so, I've got everything basically.....maybe even earlier if you could having stuff like a Dain Bramage LP, Pocketwatch tape, Scream LPs on vinyl, etc

I've definitely lost the drive....Hell, I'd probably have to hunt around for half the shit
Old January 24th 2011, 08:07 PM
Have you found your way around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
My collection has actually gotten less impressive. From like 1999-2002 or so, I've got everything basically.....maybe even earlier if you could having stuff like a Dain Bramage LP, Pocketwatch tape, Scream LPs on vinyl, etc

I've definitely lost the drive....Hell, I'd probably have to hunt around for half the shit
Not too late to pick it up again.
Stockholm Stadion, Stockholm 062211

Ullevi, Gothenburg 061215

Old January 24th 2011, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjlocke View Post
Last QOTSA-related question here not to flood the topic with non-foo stuff: does the vinyl have anything special? (I mean it differs drastically from the way CD is designed - front and back covers changed, songs order too, every side has a name) Like, say picture sleeves for records or maybe lyric sheet?
i don;t really know mine copy is still sealed
i got the this info tho
Matrix Number (Side A): lullabies rekords rekords A
Matrix Number (Side B): lullabies rekords rekords B
Matrix Number (Side C): lullabies rekords rekords C-RE1
Matrix Number (Side D): lullabies rekords rekords D-RE1
Barcode: 6 89230 09961 1
and its in purple and orange vinyl.
Old January 25th 2011, 06:51 PM
A star burned out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Nick Riviera View Post
Not too late to pick it up again.
indeed. it's like starting over, but already with an amazing head start compared to people starting from scratch ....cofffmecoffcofff...
• Jan 14 2001 - Rio de Janeiro | Jun 24 2006 - Osasco/SP (Jackson United) | Jun 26 2006 - São Paulo (Jackson United) | Apr 7 2012 - São Paulo| Jan 23 2015 - São Paulo | Feb 27 2018 - São Paulo | Feb 28 2018 - São Paulo •
Old March 2nd 2011, 09:15 AM
Have you found your way around

I thought i just bump this thread for our newcomers. Feel free to share
Stockholm Stadion, Stockholm 062211

Ullevi, Gothenburg 061215

Old March 2nd 2011, 09:53 AM
Visiting is pretty...

How I got into them and started collecting bootlegs

I don't exactly recall how it started... my roots lie in Nirvana though. Heard a few of their tracks around 92 and liked them, but was just 7. Watched Unplugged in spring 95 and was surprised to find out it was the band I liked a few songs of, and that I've heard a couple of years ago (In Bloom - man, I thought it's a 60s band, judging by the video, SLTS). Started buying their records.

I think in some music magazine (was it "Bravo", a German magazine?) or somewhere else I heard Dave started a new band. Or I've heard a song on MTV in 95? Don't remember... Took me a while however til I could buy their record. I never had enough pocket money left to buy all the stuff I wanted (spent most on singles). But one day I went into a record store with 50 German marks from my uncle and found their record. Was most likely in June 96, a hot summer Friday. Bought it together with Bleach, since both were only 25.

To be honest, at first I thought: what? I expected it to sound more like Nirvana, cause Dave was in Nirvana... Liked a few songs but was used to all the Eurodance music more, at the time (same with Bleach a bit) A couple of years later (TCATS and TINLTL were already out) I listened to their debut again and was totally blown away. Just lying there, watching the sky, thinking: "Damn, why didn't I find such pleasure in that record before? It's great!" That's how it got into my top 10 of best records ever made! All songs are great and I can listen from start to end over and over again. The rough and energetic sound, with a bit of grunge-rock left and the drums together with Dave's voice... Found it weird to imagine he played all alone. It's still my favorite FF album up to date, even Wasting Light won't change that, I guess, which is kinda weird in a way

In summer 2004 I got my first computer and discovered some mp3 bootlegs on a nirvana site. Not much later I started getting into lossless and Livenirvana. I was surprised how many recordings exist! Never expected such community in existence. I'm not a hardcore Foo Fighters collector, but I collect some shows (older ones prefered, cause some of their songs on IYH and ESPAG disappointed me, after similar experiences with One By One). But I started loving more and more songs from these records the more often I listened. What I've heard from their new record so far blew me away, it's almost like TCAS mixed with TINLTL and their debut... all their great ones. And it's great to still have Pat Smear around. I love that guy. Not that I love the other members any less... they're amazing drummer, guitarist and bassist.

Seen them live the first time on 06/18/2008 in Düsseldorf (will upload my audience recording before or this weekend, which I meant to do a long time ago, when I signed up here around the same time), can't wait til 06/18/2011 (who would have guess I see them exactly 3 years later again?) and 08/23/2011. Still regret I haven't seen them at Bizarre Festival back in the days - was only 30 km away from my home

Why I type so much? Makes me feel like VH1 Storytellers, just without the music
River stones and broken bones scattered on the hill.

Last edited by pathor : March 2nd 2011 at 10:29 AM.
Old March 2nd 2011, 06:33 PM
I'll Stick Around

I got into the Foos around Learn To Fly and it's still one of my favourite songs. Mainly because of the memories I think. I love it when they play it live even though it seems like everybody else complains because it's essentially a pop song!

I bought the LTF singles and the first two albums together. Then I bought TINLTL and the follow up singles. This is what, 99? I'd just gotten into downloading MP3's and I think it all started with Fraternity. I friggin love that song! I downloaded and really wanted a physical copy so I searched and found the Aus version if the album. Ordered. Delivered. Hmm..what else can I buy? Oh the vinyl, free tattoo? kickass!

And then it quickly spiralled out of control lol!

I mainly bought stuff for B-Sides and along the way picked up promos and tapes and stuff.

I mentioned in another thread I gave it all up around 1x1 but then I got back into it. It's nice having a head start and knowing what to look for and at the moment I'm not so bothered with buying standard release stuff. I'm more interested in things that crop up that I've just never seen before and are therefore probably rare.

This time around it's a billion times easier to find what you want, compare a listing on ebay with another collector, get advice etc. It was hella lonely first time round but now there's a community so it's pretty cool.
Old March 2nd 2011, 10:13 PM

It first started with Times Like These which is still one of my all time favorites because it's the first Foo Fighters song I heard. I found the single at Best Buy and since then it has become a hobby to search for anything Foo Fighters wherever I go now I'm getting into collecting the vinyl and tapes.
Aug. 10, 2012-OSL