Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion > Foo Fighters Collections and Recordings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old June 10th 2011, 10:32 PM
I'd rather leave than suffer this

Default Re: Australian Releases

Nice one.
I have it to but without the poster
Good to see how it looks.
Thanks for the pics
Old June 11th 2011, 07:19 AM
Easy For YOU To Say

Nice pickup - you dont see these around much any more. I bought my first copy when they were brand new - and it's still sealed I managed to get another mint one some time after that. The weird thing is the standard Aus Cd Single has escaped me ever since - until yesterday! I finally won a nice copy on Ebay... one more down - on to the next one

I was there
Old July 2nd 2011, 09:22 PM
I'll Stick Around

I have the rare Australian Stacked Actors CD. Bought it years ago. Certainly a collectors item now.

14/09/2014, 23/06/2018
Old August 2nd 2011, 10:25 AM
I'll Stick Around

Oh, I also have The One CD single which was only actually released in Australia but was made available by import only in the UK and US. Bought mine in the UK and has an "IMPORT" sticker on it.

14/09/2014, 23/06/2018
Old August 2nd 2011, 11:38 AM
Fooper!

So the Australian cd singles are worth getting? Has anyone compiled a top ten or twenty of the rarest foo CDs to own?
O2 Arena,London,2017
Nos Alive Festival,Lisbon,2017
Accor Arena,Paris,France,2017
Cheese & Grain,Frome,2017
Krakow Tauron Arena,2015
Milton Keynes National Bowl,2015
Milton Keynes National Bowl,2015
Lancashire CCC Ground,2015
Invictus Closing Concert,2014
Sound City Players, London,2013
Leeds Fest,2012
Milton Keynes,2011
Wembley Stadium,2008
Manchester City Stadium,2008
Old August 2nd 2011, 11:43 AM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilshack View Post
Has anyone compiled a top ten or twenty of the rarest foo CDs to own?
That's a good idea we could have the top ten rare promo single CD's and top ten rare retails single CD's.

Surely the Rope promo CD is the rarest promo CD single ?

14/09/2014, 23/06/2018
Old August 2nd 2011, 11:36 PM
Easy For YOU To Say

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgm84 View Post
That's a good idea we could have the top ten rare promo single CD's and top ten rare retails single CD's.

Surely the Rope promo CD is the rarest promo CD single ?
This is the rarest Foo Promo CD, probably the rarest CD period. Australian pressed official silver CD complete with spelling error of Down In The Park. It was almost certainly a promo for the Songs in the Key of X CD which came out in March 1996 and included the song with the correct title. I believe from one source in Australia that it was pressed and then withdrawn when the spelling error was noticed and never even made it out as fully released promo.

This is the copy I have and I know of only one other person to ever own it.

http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/...nTheDark02.jpg

I was there
Old August 25th 2011, 01:46 PM
I'll Stick Around

Does anyone know exactly how rare the Australian "Staked Actors" retail single is ? Like how many copies were released ?

14/09/2014, 23/06/2018
Old August 25th 2011, 02:04 PM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Does anyone know exactly how rare the Australian "Staked Actors" retail single is ? Like how many copies were released ?
Over to you FooZealand.
Old August 25th 2011, 02:05 PM
Easy For YOU To Say

Quote:
It's in the thousands for sure - they were sold new in Australia and here in New Zealand. And a lot made their way to the US new as well. My guess 5000 plus.

I was there
Old August 25th 2011, 02:07 PM
Easy For YOU To Say

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callimnate View Post
Over to you FooZealand.
"Snap" lol

I was there
Old August 25th 2011, 02:55 PM
I'd rather leave than suffer this

Quote:
Oh, I also have The One CD single which was only actually released in Australia but was made available by import only in the UK and US. Bought mine in the UK and has an "IMPORT" sticker on it.
i have that one too lol one of those hmv imports wonder how many they actually imported
Old August 25th 2011, 10:31 PM
Easy For YOU To Say

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeghead View Post
i have that one too lol one of those hmv imports wonder how many they actually imported
Would have been a few hundred - maybe 500 or somewhere around there. Then some of those went on to the USA, and some went to the USA direct - yeah I know it sounds crazy but that's what happened. I've seen copies that were from the US that have a "Made in England" sticker on them.

They were imported because HMV (and maybe a few other similar chains) had branches in both countries and were clever enough to spot that there was a demand and that they could supply it.

I was there
Old August 26th 2011, 11:59 AM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeghead View Post
Yes, I got mine from HMV too. I remember there was only one on the shelf so I snapped it up (not literally

14/09/2014, 23/06/2018
Old August 26th 2011, 12:03 PM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by FooZealand View Post
It's in the thousands for sure - they were sold new in Australia and here in New Zealand. And a lot made their way to the US new as well. My guess 5000 plus.
Well mine is in perfect condition. Of course myself being in the UK I have had to buy these Austrlian releases off the internet (Staked Actors and Generator ). But pretty much every other single I have been able to buy in the shops. The One was an import as already mentioned.

Interestingly The One and Generator only made the top 40 in Australia where they were given a full release.

14/09/2014, 23/06/2018
Old August 26th 2011, 02:26 PM
Easy For YOU To Say

Quote:
Well mine is in perfect condition. Of course myself being in the UK I have had to buy these Austrlian releases off the internet (Staked Actors and Generator ). But pretty much every other single I have been able to buy in the shops. The One was an import as already mentioned.

Interestingly The One and Generator only made the top 40 in Australia where they were given a full release.
Of course on the physical side, you see a CD in the shop, you aren't going to know it isn't available or never will be in other counties - its just a single. The One wasn't an album song, so a lot of people missed it at the time as just a movie track. Generator is a bit more surprising though, although Stacked, Breakout & Next Year did even worse than 31 there. Crappy promotion of Nothing Left was probably part of the problem there, and at the time it was seen by a lot of people as a let down of an album after TCATS. (Definitely never my opinion though )

I was there
Old August 27th 2011, 12:52 PM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Of course on the physical side, you see a CD in the shop, you aren't going to know it isn't available or never will be in other counties - its just a single. The One wasn't an album song, so a lot of people missed it at the time as just a movie track. Generator is a bit more surprising though, although Stacked, Breakout & Next Year did even worse than 31 there. Crappy promotion of Nothing Left was probably part of the problem there, and at the time it was seen by a lot of people as a let down of an album after TCATS. (Definitely never my opinion though )
I think at the time of TINLTL, Foos lost popularity a bit. It wasn't that the songs were not radio friendly enough but it was a change to to what their main fan base were used to. The first two albums being being quite heavy and grungy and TINLTL being all mellow and soft. Still Learn To Fly was their first hit on the Hot 100 and remains their second highest on that chart.

14/09/2014, 23/06/2018
Old August 27th 2011, 01:23 PM
Have you found your way around

For some reason I bought the Australian Generator single in the UK at HMV, not realising there was a UK version with Fraternity on it. I was searching for that for years until I saw it second hand for a few quid.

I picked up the Aus 14-track TINTL in a second hand shop as well, and then got the first three album Aus tour editions from e-bay.

I was kicking myself that I didn't buy the Aus TINTL tour edition as I saw that in the UK shops at the time but for some reason decided it wasn't worth the extra money.

I just need to get Stacked Actors to complete my singles set, but prices have been mental for it.
The Alarm, Glasgow, May
Iron Maiden - Newcastle, May
Iron Maiden - Glasgow Hydro, May
Kiss - Glasgow Hydro, May
Guns 'N' Roses - London, June
Old August 27th 2011, 02:25 PM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Funny how one man's turd is another man's gold.

I was a fan of TCATS but found S/T to grunge for me. And when TINLTL came out, and I though it was perfect mix.

To this day, I can't believe that TINLTL wasn't biigger here in Aust.
Every single was awesome, and even The One was a great catchy Foos tune that just blended in with the album. And they're shows were HUGE!

And yet.....
Old August 29th 2011, 10:01 AM
Easy For YOU To Say

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callimnate View Post
Funny how one man's turd is another man's gold.

I was a fan of TCATS but found S/T to grunge for me. And when TINLTL came out, and I though it was perfect mix.

To this day, I can't believe that TINLTL wasn't biigger here in Aust.
Every single was awesome, and even The One was a great catchy Foos tune that just blended in with the album. And they're shows were HUGE!

And yet.....
I very much agree with all of that, I though the first album had some great songs, but I wasn't a huge grunge fan and a couple never did that much for me. TCATS grew on me pretty quickly as being much more my kind of album, but Left was for me an immediate killer record. I think it was perhaps something about how it sat "at the time" compared to other music being released.

So I find I always end up rating them based on both factors, what the mean to me as songs now, plus what the meant to me back at release. It's still a toss up some days what I'd say I liked more out of TCATS and TINLTL, but usually TCATS would get that vote, the production value was just so high.

I have definitely liked the other albums, but never quite with the same impact "at release". And I would have said it might possibly never happen the same again, especially since over 10 years had passed since then, which is why I think Wasting Light is even more remarkable to me - it has even more of that "first impact" and I honestly cant see that ever changing in time, and I have never ever played a new Foo album more often, and I'm not even a little bit tired of a single track.

I was there