Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > Tour Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old November 24th 2011, 04:52 AM
I'll Stick Around

Default Open letter to Foo Fighters, LollapaloozaBr, Producers and Sponsors.

Foo Fighters only one concert in Brazil, will it be enough?

Almost eleven years have passed since the Rock In Rio 2001, when Foo Fighters was still becoming a big band in Brazil, even not being the headliner of that evening of 13th January, the band led more than 120 thousands people to madness playing their classics.

Read more...

Old November 24th 2011, 01:45 PM
The Sidekick

Default Re: Open letter to Foo Fighters, LollapaloozaBr, Producers and Sponsors.

There is some flawed logic in there regarding concert to country ratio. Also lots of assumptions.

Quote:
Australia tour: 5 concerts, Australia has 21 million and 500 thousand habitants
New Zealand tour: 1 concert, NZ has 4 million and 268 thousand habitants
Japan tour: 4 concert, Japan has 128 million habitants

Argentina: 2 concerts, Argentina has 40 million habitants
Now, please, look at Brazil’s numbers:

Brazil: ONLY 1 SHOW for 195 MILLION HABITANTS
Australia and Japan are historically big markets for FF. Their records sell massively in those countries, into the millions. I don't know what the record sales figures are in Brazil but I would hazard a guess they aren't as great. The overall population is irrelevant though, it's about how many of those people are fans of the band and buy their records. The UK only has a population of 60million but a large part of that population are FF fans and unlike most countries around the world they can sell out arena tours and stadiums. They can't even do that in the US, so therefore the UK gets a lot of gigs.

Quote:
The pre sale is already sold out, and it’s definitely clear that only happened because Foo Fighters is the main act in the festival and the majority tickets are for Foo Fighter’s fans. The event should change the name to “Foolapalooza”!
Do you have evidence for those claims? You can't say something is "definitely clear" without evidence.

Quote:
The number of Foo fans is massive in Brazil, it can be observed that in social networks.
FF Brazil on FB has around 5000 fans and a similar amount following the twitter. 5,000 isn't a huge amount, especially considering your notes about the population of Brazil.

Quote:
Yes, we are indeed screaming due to the sad reality. In the Lolapalooza tickets pre sale it was reported that the website had 2 million hits. If we divide 2 million hits by 70 thousand people, we come to a number of 28 people fighting for each of the 70 thousand tickets!
First of all that will be total hits, not unique hits. But even if it was unique hits, it's the same in every country for big festivals, for example the Reading Festival in the UK is in huge demand each year, far more than people that want it. They can't put on Reading 2 and Reading 3 though.

It seems weird to me that the band have finally come back to your country and instead of celebrating it all you can do is moan that you only have one show. Just get your ticket and go have a great night.

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Old November 24th 2011, 01:55 PM
I'll Stick Around

Default Re: Open letter to Foo Fighters, LollapaloozaBr, Producers and Sponsors.

Portugal: 10 million habitants, 11 gigs (actually 10, but it would've been 11 if Taylor hadn't OD'd, the little bastard)

Population has nothing to do with it.
Roses are red,
violets are blue,
all that there is,
is all that is foo
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old November 24th 2011, 02:01 PM
It's never ending

You know, consider yourself lucky the band are playing any shows in your country because there's other countries and fans in South America, Europe, Asian and, hell, Africa who would love to have a chance to see the band and probably never will. The fact Argentina has more shows is down to the promoters, venues and current tour/comittments.
Old November 24th 2011, 03:19 PM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studmore View Post
There is some flawed logic in there regarding concert to country ratio. Also lots of assumptions.

Australia and Japan are historically big markets for FF. Their records sell massively in those countries, into the millions. I don't know what the record sales figures are in Brazil but I would hazard a guess they aren't as great. The overall population is irrelevant though, it's about how many of those people are fans of the band and buy their records. The UK only has a population of 60million but a large part of that population are FF fans and unlike most countries around the world they can sell out arena tours and stadiums. They can't even do that in the US, so therefore the UK gets a lot of gigs.

Do you have evidence for those claims? You can't say something is "definitely clear" without evidence.

FF Brazil on FB has around 5000 fans and a similar amount following the twitter. 5,000 isn't a huge amount, especially considering your notes about the population of Brazil.

First of all that will be total hits, not unique hits. But even if it was unique hits, it's the same in every country for big festivals, for example the Reading Festival in the UK is in huge demand each year, far more than people that want it. They can't put on Reading 2 and Reading 3 though.

It seems weird to me that the band have finally come back to your country and instead of celebrating it all you can do is moan that you only have one show. Just get your ticket and go have a great night.

I do not know the exact sales numbers produced by the foo fighters in Brazil.

The "Piracy" (illegal products as false cds) itself has expanded across the country and the number of sales of original products, regardless of the band has moved little.

Entertaining .. it means nothing. Especially considering that the money that moves the band in fact, are the shows in arenas and stages.

Of course I understand your rationale, Simon. But only those who live in Brazil and religiously follows the band, you know what the Astor and FFBr meant.
The fact that FFBR have five thousand followers. It does not mean much. But many people joined a campaign that was produced by ffbr and others foofãs. If people deposited 50 dollars each, we could bring the band .. if 60 thousand people joined the campaign. And more than 300,000 people joined the campaign.

Also bands like U2, Red Hot, Pearl Jam .. that are acclaimed around the world, made ​​by our country spectacular show, moving a lot of fans all over Brazil, for just two shows. And look we are in a time of piracy, downloads, torrents!

Last edited by Deivefake : November 24th 2011 at 03:34 PM.
Old November 24th 2011, 03:23 PM
I'll Stick Around

You know .. I think that this is not a complaint. It is a fact! We're not complaining. We are suggesting that something changes. Countries like Mexico / Argentina never seen the band. I think there, the amount of fans is as large as the population of countries like Belgium or the Netherlands. But that does not make us better fans.

We fans want to have more shows. What's fair ...
Old November 24th 2011, 03:49 PM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:

I've been celebrating like never before, and I am not blind to some interesting points in the text. What's strange to me is the not coming to Brazil for four tours, where their CDs have sold very well. About the population, it was an estimate. We do not measure the amount of fans just by the numbers from the internet. But hey! Nobody is complaining. We are just giving suggestions. The system broke down because the site the amount of hits (2 million people to 70 000 tickets). 2 headliners. Foo Fightters and Arctic Monkeys. We'll definitly enjoy the one concert, this letter it's more like a warning:the band is the one that will lose the most with this situation.
Old November 24th 2011, 03:56 PM
I'll Stick Around

Not to get your hopes up or anything but it is not clear that the Foos will be playing only one night at Lollapalooza (Brasil and Chile). They are playing two nights in the one festival in Argentina and they might aswell do it in Brasil and Chile. The thing is that Lollapalooza won't give away the day by day line-up until later. Keep your fingers crossed and let's hope for the best. Maybe you'll get a surprise.

Cheers!
Old November 24th 2011, 04:06 PM
Visiting is pretty...

That population/gig ratio is a nonsense. Just so you know, many countries which have FF community of thousands guys hasn't experience any Foo Fighters' gig yet - that makes, taken mathematically, your population to gigs ratio in these countries infinite, which is infinitely more than Brazil's 195 million people per gig. Funny, huh?
Old November 24th 2011, 04:57 PM
The Boss

The passion that you guys show is admirable, but you guys are really misguided on the basic logic for this stuff and how these things work.
Old November 24th 2011, 09:52 PM
I'll Stick Around

Perry Farrel clearly said that Lolla is coming to Brazil just because the artist were asking too much money to do just one concert in Chile.
Plus, the tickets to the Lolla BR costs more than twice the tickets to Lolla Chile, and the Argentina one.
That's fucking abusive, I'm probably not attending!!
I believe that we have a stronger economy than much countries, and in a way, they are just using us (Lolla, not the Foo's!!), because we have been having nice festivals recently with quite lower prices for tickets.
I would love to see the Foo Fighters playing live, that would be my highest dream 4 or 5 years ago, but I don't agree with all that shit.
I'm not complaining about the band, but the festival.
But I also think that the band could easily sell out some arenas here, by themselves, it's sad that it probably won't happen.

Those are just my thoughts, good luck to those who will try to go!

It's us!!
Old November 25th 2011, 05:07 PM
A star burned out

Foo Fighters are playing São Paulo in an area that recently got new subway stations nearby. That means that they're not only playing really close to me, but it's now even closer, I can go there in about 30 to 40 minutes. So, after seeing them play all around the world for 11 years, places that would require me different visas, plane tickets costing thousands of my money, to be able to pay about 5 bucks to be where they are, fuck, I'm the most greatful foo fan I have ever known. Fine, the ticket is expensive, but it's one hell of a night, one that you've been waiting for over a decade. If you had the hability to tell the future 11 years ago, if you knew they were coming in 2012 and you knew how much it would cost and you saved that money since then, how much would you have to save? a couple pennies every month? jesus you guys, don't fucking question it, go and have a great time. Sure I'd love to have more, but they're here now and it's all that matters.

I have friends going to argentina as well, just to seem them more times, and it's not that expensive, it's a neighbour country, you don't even need a fucking passport to go there and plane tickets are super cheap if bought a few months ahead of time. If I had the energy I'd do that, but I'd rather appreciate the fact that'll only be a few bucks to see them and I want to enjoy that as much as I can. But still, want to see more of them? go to Argentina, or even Chile as well, it's not like you're going to europe, they're right there really close to us.
• Jan 14 2001 - Rio de Janeiro | Jun 24 2006 - Osasco/SP (Jackson United) | Jun 26 2006 - São Paulo (Jackson United) | Apr 7 2012 - São Paulo| Jan 23 2015 - São Paulo | Feb 27 2018 - São Paulo | Feb 28 2018 - São Paulo •
Old November 25th 2011, 08:10 PM
A star burned out

Gus' response to that: https://twitter.com/#!/tourmanagergu...59314638798849

nice move. ¬¬
• Jan 14 2001 - Rio de Janeiro | Jun 24 2006 - Osasco/SP (Jackson United) | Jun 26 2006 - São Paulo (Jackson United) | Apr 7 2012 - São Paulo| Jan 23 2015 - São Paulo | Feb 27 2018 - São Paulo | Feb 28 2018 - São Paulo •
Old November 25th 2011, 08:33 PM
The Sidekick

So did they just write this open letter or did they actually hassle Gus directly? Bad move if they did, really bad move.

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Old November 25th 2011, 09:08 PM
A star burned out

Quote:
So did they just write this open letter or did they actually hassle Gus directly? Bad move if they did, really bad move.
Astor sent Gus the link to the text via twitter, the response I linked above came just a few minutes after that and among all Gus' mentions, there wasn't any other one even close to the subject of him being responsible or not about where the bands he works with play.

bad move, really bad move.
Old November 25th 2011, 09:31 PM
The Sidekick

Oh dear. Yeah, the whole point of an open letter is you post it openly and let whoever see's it, read it. If you directly send it to someone it's not really an open letter anymore.

--
Old November 25th 2011, 09:42 PM
Foo Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNESS View Post
Gus' response to that: https://twitter.com/#!/tourmanagergu...59314638798849

nice move. ¬¬
Thank you. I follow "tourmanagergus" since a few time, and didnt -but really not- had a clue it was Gus! I soooo feel like an idiot rofl
13 Nov 2011 - Madison Square Garden, NY, USA
06 May 2012 - JazzFest, New-Orleans, USA
24 Aug 2012 - Leeds, England
19 Jun 2015 - Wembley, London, England - Cancelled!
05 Sep 2015 - Milton Keynes, England
03 Jul 2017 - Paris, France
22 & 23 Jun 2018 - London Stadium, England
Old November 25th 2011, 09:54 PM
Have you found your way around

Quote:
and yet,
one person does not a country or continent make.
If that were the case,
Foo Fighters would never play L.A. or New York- since there have doubtless been idiots who have posted over the years,
and I've personally known some from each locale.

Anywho,
here's hopin' this was just a little bit too much exciteability from someone down in Latin America, where I've heard generally great things about the crowds and love for the Rock Shows,
and that as time goes on,
everybody
can just

SIMMER DOWN!

:>
Old November 25th 2011, 10:33 PM
A star burned out

Quote:
Originally Posted by elayblooze View Post
here's hopin' this was just a little bit too much exciteability from someone down in Latin America, where I've heard generally great things about the crowds and love for the Rock Shows,
:>
that's undeniable, the audiences are insanely intense. especially with bands that don't come down here often, so the bands usually go back home with a really special experience in their minds because not all places are like that.

that intensity usually spreads to other aspects too, and that's the sad part about it. the whole country here is in celebration mode, but the rush of thoughts as a result of that might bring some bad vibes too, like people complaining and stuff like that. I just wish people just give it a thought before going out saying bad things. think about it and do a little planning, everything will look swell that way.

I remember LA residents complaining a lot too during the clubs tour, so it's not something exclusive of latin america, it's something inherent to a situation where not everyone might get a chance to see them when they're actually quite close to the band. but it's part of it, if you want it, work hard for it and for a big show like lolla, your hard work is basically keeping an eye out for ticket information and run to buy yours. let's be grateful and have a great show, shall we?
Old November 26th 2011, 04:36 AM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNESS View Post
Astor sent Gus the link to the text via twitter, the response I linked above came just a few minutes after that and among all Gus' mentions, there wasn't any other one even close to the subject of him being responsible or not about where the bands he works with play.

bad move, really bad move.
boo hoo. I just send in a NOT offensive act. He's smart enough to read or not the letter. You people always make a lot of case where there isn't. Many even before reading jumped to conclusions and many media outlets and fans understand the real reason for the letter. Some still can not see and I understand.Even Gus. I forgive them.

Felipe: Read the letter again. I'm sure you don't understood either.