Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > Tour Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old December 8th 2011, 12:47 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Talking Sydney Tonight! 8/12

I had to come back here and just scream how incredible Sydney concert was! My ecpectations were supremely high and FF did not disappoint....they soared! Absolutely blown away. I was one of the crusty 40 somethings with the bad seats but Dave might as well been singing in my lounge room. Sound was brilliant and despite the drunken morons this was indeed the greatest rock show i have ever seen. I feel so lucky to have been there!

Cheers sunshines!
Old December 8th 2011, 01:43 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Default tonights show

Awesome as usual, but the sound in the back corner of stadium sucked arse for 40% of the show. When God, sorry I mean Dave was speaking you could really hear it reverberate. You could see the rest of stadium cheer and clap, but back corner, because they couldn't understand, just sat there. Someone needs to be fired. rant over. Yes I just joined now to rant.
Old December 8th 2011, 01:59 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Default Re: Sydney Tonight! 8/12

was awesome show, sound in back corner shitty seats on the left was crap though. Hordon pavillion was(always will be) WAY better to see them. Even ACER kicked arse.
Old December 8th 2011, 02:12 PM
Have you found your way around

Was a good show. Interesting that Dave mentioned they are going to play smaller venues instead of the stadiums when they return. Better idea I reckon.

*23rd January 2003 -Hordern Pavilion

*25th January 2003 -Sydney Showground (Big Day Out)

*30th May 2005 -Channel V Studios.

*1st June 2005 -Metro Theatre

*2nd May 2008 - Acer Arena

*3rd May 2008 - Acer Arena

*25th March 2011 - Sydney University

*8th December 2011 - Sydney Football Stadium
Old December 8th 2011, 02:29 PM
Visiting is pretty...

the crowd was shit, i had an awesome view from my seats and the people on the floor were hardly moving at all. it was only when "certain" songs came on they started to move a bit. there was a section right at the front of the pit that was moving pretty much all the time but behind that, it was dead.

Hell yeah, I remember Aurora
Old December 8th 2011, 02:54 PM
I AM EVERYWHERE

I hate to say it guys, but it just reinforces everything I've ever said about Sydney. Your rock crowds suck. Your security sucks. The only reason I'll go to your city for a show is if it's exclusive (ie Goat Island/Manning Bar). And honestly? I'd debate doing the Manning Bar show again, because the security was absolutely shithouse, and you're not nice to each other when a crowd gets crushy. (I know it's not everyone, but it's the vast majority.)

I got the shit beaten out of me in Melbourne these past two shows, but you know what? Everyone was still NICE. We looked after each other. So despite coming out of both shows covered in bruises and barely being able to stand, I still had a great time. I can't say the same about my northern adventures. Which bums me out, I have a lot of friends up there, I wish they could experience a huge and happy Foo show like the one I did on 3/12.

Having said that, what was the setlist please?
Homer: "Oh Lisa, I just meant that marriage is like a coffin. And each kid is another nail..."
Enter at your peril. I will not be held responsible.

"To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded."-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old December 8th 2011, 03:10 PM
Fooper!

Reading these stories puts me off a bit going GA again if a uk arena tour does get announced! I usually go seated to shows but fancy going GA in an arena even with my experience at MK with the drunks & the lack of security doing fuck all not being brilliant.It sounds really rough at the front of a Foo's gig!
O2 Arena,London,2017
Nos Alive Festival,Lisbon,2017
Accor Arena,Paris,France,2017
Cheese & Grain,Frome,2017
Krakow Tauron Arena,2015
Milton Keynes National Bowl,2015
Lancashire CCC Ground,2015
Invictus Closing Concert,2014
Sound City Players, London,2013
Leeds Fest,2012
Milton Keynes,2011
Wembley Stadium,2008
Manchester City Stadium,2008
Old December 8th 2011, 04:09 PM
I don't have a cofee problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilshack View Post
Reading these stories puts me off a bit going GA again if a uk arena tour does get announced! I usually go seated to shows but fancy going GA in an arena even with my experience at MK with the drunks & the lack of security doing fuck all not being brilliant.It sounds really rough at the front of a Foo's gig!
It can be rough, it depends where you stand to be honest and the luck of the draw of the idiots or otherwise around you. I always find that if you hang on Pat's side it is a lot less rough than Shifty's.

03/06/95 KCLSU 15/11/95 Brixton 28/05/97 Astoria 29/05/97 Astoria 23/11/97 Brixton 25/11/99 Brixton 04/03/00 Scala 24/08/00 Stratford Rex 26/08/02 Astoria 23/11/02 Wembley Arena 24/08/05 Astoria 17/12/05 Earls Court 17/06/06 Hyde Park 18/11/07 02 Arena 06/06/08 Wembley Stadium 23/02/11 Brixton 25/02/11 Wembley Arena 03/07/11 MK Bowl 11/07/2011 Camden Roundhouse 10/09/2014 Brighton Concorde 2 14/09/2014 Invictus Games 06/09/2015 MK Bowl
Old December 8th 2011, 04:14 PM
Fooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCol View Post
It can be rough, it depends where you stand to be honest and the luck of the draw of the idiots or otherwise around you. I always find that if you hang on Pat's side it is a lot less rough than Shifty's.
I plan to go Nate's side if I'm going GA.Mate said I should do it before my knees go! Cheeky bugger, i'm only 37! Seen a twit pic of someone on twitter who went to Sydney & her knees are bruised really bad.Its no wonder she is able to walk!
O2 Arena,London,2017
Krakow Tauron Arena,2015
Leeds Fest,2012
Milton Keynes,2011
Wembley Stadium,2008
Old December 8th 2011, 04:19 PM
I don't have a cofee problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilshack View Post
I plan to go Nate's side if I'm going GA.Mate said I should do it before my knees go! Cheeky bugger, i'm only 37! Seen a twit pic of someone on twitter who went to Sydney & her knees are bruised really bad.Its no wonder she is able to walk!
Well Nate and Pat stand together so you will be a bit safer!

I can remember the old gigs, late 90's, the pits used to be brutal at shows but then the venues were smaller and the crowds younger. A lot of people who go to see the band these days are in their 30's or more and just want to enjoy the music for what it is. I do like mixing it up on occasion - I had a good mosh at Wembley earlier in the year - but there's no way I could do or event want to do it all the time through a show.

I think as long as you don't want to be literally on the barrier you'd be ok. But don't hold me to that!

03/06/95 KCLSU 15/11/95 Brixton 28/05/97 Astoria 29/05/97 Astoria 23/11/97 Brixton 25/11/99 Brixton 04/03/00 Scala 24/08/00 Stratford Rex 26/08/02 Astoria 23/11/02 Wembley Arena 24/08/05 Astoria 17/12/05 Earls Court 17/06/06 Hyde Park 18/11/07 02 Arena 06/06/08 Wembley Stadium 23/02/11 Brixton 25/02/11 Wembley Arena 03/07/11 MK Bowl 11/07/2011 Camden Roundhouse 10/09/2014 Brighton Concorde 2 14/09/2014 Invictus Games 06/09/2015 MK Bowl
Old December 8th 2011, 04:50 PM
Fooper!

Talking Re: Sydney Tonight! 8/12

Anyone know why Bridge Burning is being left off the setlist of late?
O2 Arena,London,2017
Krakow Tauron Arena,2015
Leeds Fest,2012
Milton Keynes,2011
Wembley Stadium,2008
Old December 8th 2011, 07:16 PM
Ready on your mark

The band looked and sounded like they were having a great time up there and I believe Dave even said that this had been the best night of the tour. They were in top form. Tenacious D's appearance at the end was superb!

I don't know what it looked like from the seats but the crowd in the pit certainly did move, or at least they did up the front. My night was ruined by the violence of the Sydney moshers. If you want to dance, jump up and down. I did not line up for several hours in the rain to get the shit kicked out of me and be pushed out of the way by people who showed up minutes before the show started. Three songs into the set, I was sucked down, punched in the face, ribs and other body parts, pulled to the ground, kicked, crushed from all sides and jumped on by countless large, tall men who didn’t give a shit about anybody else. I couldn’t breathe. I was pulled out by security by the time "My Hero" started. For the rest of the show I was forced to stand at the side where my only view of the band was on a screen or when Dave or Chris came over to that corner. I was heartbroken.

Adelaide / Sydney, 2011
Brisbane / Sydney / Adelaide, 2015
Gold Coast, 2015 (Chevy Metal)
Philadelphia, 2016 (Chevy Metal)
Sydney, 2017 (Chevy Metal)
Adelaide / Brisbane / Sydney, 2018
Old December 8th 2011, 09:37 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Setlist was the same as the first Melbourne show except I think they added Long Road to Ruin (not sure if this was played at the first Melbourne gig)
Old December 8th 2011, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matineeidyll View Post
My night was ruined by the violence of the Sydney moshers. If you want to dance, jump up and down. I did not line up for several hours in the rain to get the shit kicked out of me and be pushed out of the way by people who showed up minutes before the show started. Three songs into the set, I was sucked down, punched in the face, ribs and other body parts, pulled to the ground, kicked, crushed from all sides and jumped on by countless large, tall men who didnít give a shit about anybody else. I couldnít breathe. I was pulled out by security by the time "My Hero" started. For the rest of the show I was forced to stand at the side where my only view of the band was on a screen or when Dave or Chris came over to that corner. I was heartbroken.
I hope you are ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara View Post
I hate to say it guys, but it just reinforces everything I've ever said about Sydney. Your rock crowds suck. Your security sucks. The only reason I'll go to your city for a show is if it's exclusive (ie Goat Island/Manning Bar). And honestly? I'd debate doing the Manning Bar show again, because the security was absolutely shithouse, and you're not nice to each other when a crowd gets crushy. (I know it's not everyone, but it's the vast majority.)

I got the shit beaten out of me in Melbourne these past two shows, but you know what? Everyone was still NICE. We looked after each other. So despite coming out of both shows covered in bruises and barely being able to stand, I still had a great time. I can't say the same about my northern adventures. Which bums me out, I have a lot of friends up there, I wish they could experience a huge and happy Foo show like the one I did on 3/12.

Having said that, what was the setlist please?
These are the reasons that after lots of consideration l decided against going to Sydney, sounds like l made the right choice.
Old December 8th 2011, 10:08 PM
Lord of the Seven Kingdoms

I might be a bigger guy and able to handle myself ok, but I was there with my wife who suffers from rheumatoid arthritis pretty badly. We were probably halfway between the stage and mixing tent and one off the runway barrier - apart from the usual dick-move surge at the start of Tenacious D's set and again for the FF, I didn't see any issues.

I've learnt over the years that unless you're going to jump around and be part of the mosh, you either get close enough to the front that the weight of people stops any significant movement, or you hang around the fringes.

I've got my own issues with setlist selection, and I could get into the extended breakdowns of Stacked Actors and Monkey Wrench (plus the need to drop Wheels), but they weren't enough to spoil another brilliant show from the best live rock I've seen - dating back to '98 at Selina's.
Old December 8th 2011, 10:28 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Default Re: tonights show

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiegrohl View Post
Awesome as usual, but the sound in the back corner of stadium sucked arse for 40% of the show. When God, sorry I mean Dave was speaking you could really hear it reverberate. You could see the rest of stadium cheer and clap, but back corner, because they couldn't understand, just sat there. Someone needs to be fired. rant over. Yes I just joined now to rant.
This.

I was one of the people in the back corner too. It sounded like the speaker stack that was 50 yards from we was not properly distance-synched with the speaker stacks at the stage...what do I know? I'm not a sound engineer, but I know that the sound sucked. The sound was bloody awful for a large part of the show and I was really disappointed after looking forward to this for so long.

I just registered to have this rant too.
Old December 8th 2011, 11:22 PM
Visiting is pretty...

It was obvious that the band were trying their hearts out but the sound really did suck.!! A lot of the between-songs banter was an unintelligible mess and the sound where we were just sounded muddy.I know others had a different experience but as one previous poster mentioned,they sounded brilliant last tour at ACER,even though that venues' sound can be ordinary.

However my main problem is with the crowd.We had issues with people complaining about us standing up.We were in the seats upstairs as the GA tickets were all sold out plus, I didnt want to put up with the antics of the drunken twats who come in at the last minute,pissed up and aggressive and barging their way to the front.Long story short it all kicked off and we got ejected.!! For standing up and enjoying music.!! There were plenty of other people around us standing too and they had no drama,s.

Sorry,but sitting down.?? At the Foo Fighters.?? It aint Michael fukn Bubble,its rock n roll.!! I suppose we were just unlucky enough to be sat with a bunch of numpties who view going to see a major rock band as a tick in the box .What a sad state of affairs..
Old December 9th 2011, 12:27 AM
Visiting is pretty...

I hope everybody who got squished and kicked are ok now.. My friend and I was just standing at the side of the ramp near the sound mixers.. I thought that it's the safest part of the GA area.. and I was right.. I don't know about you guys.. but if I was a lot younger.. I'd totally do the mosh.. But sad to say.. my knees and my back are starting to give in already.. But hey.. it was still an awesome one! But I have to agree, the sound wasn't as good.. felt sorry for those who had shitty seats and couldn't hear Dave's wisecracks! Acer in 08 I think sounded a lot better.
Old December 9th 2011, 12:41 AM

I saw them in Melbourne as well as Sydney, I was GA in Melbourne and my experience was so much better sound wise, but both shows were pretty much on par in my opinion. My biggest gripe is that I never got to see Dear Rosemary and Breakdown.

I was fucking STOKED that Tenacious D played a longer set though, Dio, The Metal and fucking BEEZLEBOSS.
Old December 9th 2011, 01:13 AM
Ready on your mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas75 View Post
I hope you are ok
The body will sort itself out but i'm more disappointed that, after such a long day, I ended up at the side feeling so removed from everything that was happening. I can generally hold my own in a crowd (I am from Newcastle, after all) but at times it was getting violent. People beat the crap out of each other in Melbourne, as Lara pointed out, but it sounds like they also looked out for each other. Not so in Sydney. One kind soul did wrap their arms around my waist to keep me up, but it was all too crazy.

As modtang said to me this morning, at least I had a better night in Adelaide and can hold that in my memory. I've also made some new friends on this tour, which is never a bad thing.

Adelaide / Sydney, 2011
Brisbane / Sydney / Adelaide, 2015
Gold Coast, 2015 (Chevy Metal)
Philadelphia, 2016 (Chevy Metal)
Sydney, 2017 (Chevy Metal)
Adelaide / Brisbane / Sydney, 2018

Last edited by matineeidyll : December 9th 2011 at 01:26 AM.