Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion > Foo Fighters Collections and Recordings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old October 21st 2012, 01:32 PM
The Sidekick

Default 2011 LP Repressing of TINTL features original Kasper mixes for three songs

Just spinning the 2011 TINTL Vinyl and has anyone noticed 'Learn To Fly' is not the same mix as the CD Album, it's slightly different? I don't have it but I assume it's the same mix found on the 2 track promo CD?

Also I definitely think the mastering is better than the CD on this one, much less harsh on the ears, you can crank it up and enjoy it without that harsh, brickwalled sound.

In fact I think the two other remixed tracks may also be the original Kaspar mixes and not the Wallace mixes, meaning of course that it's the complete Kaspar mix of the album. It may be the better mastering playing tricks on my ears although the artwork also doesn't have the * marks on those three songs as the CD does, denoting they're mixed by Wallace. Do any of the original 99 Vinyl presses?

What do you guys think?

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Old October 21st 2012, 02:11 PM
I'll Stick Around

Default Re: 2011 LP Repressing of TINTL features original Kaspar mixes for three songs?

Mastering vinyl is a completely different ball park to CD, it'll always sound warmer and more 'romantic' so to speak.
Old October 21st 2012, 02:32 PM
The Sidekick

Default Re: 2011 LP Repressing of TINTL features original Kaspar mixes for three songs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalopy.Andy View Post
Mastering vinyl is a completely different ball park to CD, it'll always sound warmer and more 'romantic' so to speak.
It can be if you do it properly, if you do it with the same brickwalled CD master it doesn't sound much better, as is the case with the Wasting Light LP unfortunately. It sounds better than the CD but it's clearly mastered from the same loud CD master. IYH was the same, the person mastering that said online that he recieved the same digital masters as was used for the CD.

Anyway this thread was more about the possible original mixes on those three tracks. If anyone else has some thoughts I'd like to hear them.

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Old October 21st 2012, 03:43 PM
I'll Stick Around

The 99 UK vinyl has the stars next to those three tracks. I don't have the US one or the 2011 release to compare :/
Old October 21st 2012, 04:06 PM
The Sidekick

Interesting, I only have the 2011 Repress and the CDs of course and I'm sure they sound different mix wise, Learn To Fly certainly. The 2011 Repress says the lacquers were cut freshly by Chris Bellman so I would guess he went back to the original masters and used the entire original mixes by Adam Kasper rather than also getting the extra mixed tracks by Andy Wallace.

--
Old October 21st 2012, 08:21 PM
Lets sing a song of life and joy with us

Default Re: 2011 LP Repressing of TINTL features original Kasper mixes for three songs?

would be nice to hear those mixes. though I've not seen the TINTL vinyl repressing. only TCATS and the first album. That is the only one I'd really shell out the money for on vinyl!

Pat Smear is actually an android. During one memorable show in England he short circuited, electrocuting Dave whose hair then caught fire

Chris: "You guys, I couldn't hear myself out there."
Dave: "We all heard ya, man."
Taylor: "Yeah, we heard you just fine."
Chris: "Oh. Well, ok..."
Old October 22nd 2012, 12:01 PM
Have you found your way around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Just spinning the 2011 TINTL Vinyl and has anyone noticed 'Learn To Fly' is not the same mix as the CD Album, it's slightly different? I don't have it but I assume it's the same mix found on the 2 track promo CD?

Also I definitely think the mastering is better than the CD on this one, much less harsh on the ears, you can crank it up and enjoy it without that harsh, brickwalled sound.

In fact I think the two other remixed tracks may also be the original Kaspar mixes and not the Wallace mixes, meaning of course that it's the complete Kaspar mix of the album. It may be the better mastering playing tricks on my ears although the artwork also doesn't have the * marks on those three songs as the CD does, denoting they're mixed by Wallace. Do any of the original 99 Vinyl presses?

What do you guys think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronThumbDrew View Post
The 99 UK vinyl has the stars next to those three tracks. I don't have the US one or the 2011 release to compare :/
Intrigued by this thread,I checked my 4 1999 US vinyls,and they all have the asterisk next to Fly,Aurora,and Skin;denoting mastering by Wallace at Larabee.Now I want to score the '11 repress,as I would love to see if I could discern the difference with those tracks.It reminds me of an anomaly(for lack of a better term)I heard between"My Song"on Jerry Cantrell's Boggy Depot LP and the CD,though the credits did not substantiate what my ears heard.I simply love the sound of vinyl.For me,a laser reading 0s and 1s just can't compare to the aural depth of a needle in the record groove.Thanks Guys.
Old October 22nd 2012, 01:00 PM
The Sidekick

Default Re: 2011 LP Repressing of TINTL features original Kasper mixes for three songs?

Interesting, thanks. So either they forgot to add the stars and notes for those songs on the repressing or they really are the original mixes. I think they are but more opinions are welcome before I go listing it as a different source.

--
Old October 27th 2012, 02:37 PM
The Sidekick

So I asked a few people on another forum who have better ears for this sort of thing than me, they all agreed they were definitely different mixes.

In depth reasoning from someone:

Quote:
Live-In Skin. Some of the differences could possibly be explained by different mastering (the kick drum, the bass), but that piano/synth that runs constantly in the left channel is practically non-existent on the vinyl version, until the bridge anyway. The main guitar in the left channel is EQed a lot brighter on the CD, and a lot more prominent. Wallace's mix is a lot more focused and rockin' in general; it's a chuggin' train of rock. Kasper's focuses more on melody, but as a consequence it loses a lot of its oomph, especially in the bridge. The ending is probably the most blatant difference. The Wallace mix has a much tighter, harder ending, whereas the Kasper mix has the guitars panned farther apart and closer in volume; it's a pretty loose, weak ending, comparatively speaking.

On Learn to Fly, the guitars on the vinyl are mixed drier; on the CD version it sounds like there might be a hint of delay, and the effect really unifies the guitar sound in the verses. Also, the tambourine is a LOT more prominent in the intro to the vinyl version, but it's mixed drier. On the CD it's buried during the intro but really comes out during the verse, and it sounds like it's got some reverb on it. Again, the Wallace mix just sounds a lot tighter and more focused. Kasper's mix just kinda limps along.

On Aurora, Wallace treats the guitar in the left channel with the delay as a blanket; it's prominent, but once the other guitar and everything comes in, it sort of melts into the background and the clean guitar in the right channel takes over. There's a third guitar in there panned left, less prominent than the others in both versions, and it gets more prominent as the chorus approaches. Wallace does a better job of playing the guitars off of each other, in my opinion. It's a lot more dynamic. Kasper's mixes in general are much more static and go for a stable, even groove. Wallace does a better job of identifying the songs' energies and bringing out their potential. That's my opinion of course; some people probably prefer the more natural, "honest" approach of Kasper's mixes.
So yeah, grab the 2011 repressing if you want to hear the original Kasper mixes for those songs!

--
Old October 28th 2012, 02:07 PM
I'll Stick Around

Default Re: 2011 LP Repressing of TINTL features original Kasper mixes for three songs

interesting, i didn't notice when i got the repress but glad you told me
Old October 28th 2012, 03:21 PM
The Sidekick

Default Re: 2011 LP Repressing of TINTL features original Kasper mixes for three songs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellheaven View Post
interesting, i didn't notice when i got the repress but glad you told me
I hadn't even got around to spinning the repress but I was looking at a rip online and someone mentioned that they thought Learn To Fly sounded like a different mix so I got it out and first I noticed the asterisk were gone, then I played it and thought all three were different. Now it's pretty much confirmed.

I wonder if Wallace remixed the whole record or just those three tracks. It'd certainly be interesting to hear the whole thing from his point of view.

--
Old October 29th 2012, 11:04 AM
Easy For YOU To Say

Very accurate review, no question to me they are different mixes. There is just more guitar punch on all three on the repress. It was always said the EU LP sounded better and I desperately wanted to compare, but my only copy is sealed. Likely they tried to take some of the "mud" out of the master to brighten it up. But the repress doesn't just address that it is a different mix on those no question. And to me the louder you play them the more it is noticeable - that dynamic aspect that is mentioned comes out because you hear more of the individual guitars in different places - they aren't "layered" over each other as much. Making the sound cleaner and more aggressive to me.

I agree I'd love to hear the full Wallace mix if it existed, and if it didn't then it should.

I was there
Old October 30th 2012, 03:41 AM

Quote:
So yeah, grab the 2011 repressing if you want to hear the original Kasper mixes for those songs!

Thanks for the info Simon.Hope to hear those different mixes soon!
Old December 12th 2012, 05:12 AM

I have my 2011 issues still closed, does anybody know if I can still download the MP3 mixes from the website?

"If you think about it with an open mind, music can be nameless, it can be faceless - it can just be music"
Old March 6th 2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
I hadn't even got around to spinning the repress but I was looking at a rip online and someone mentioned that they thought Learn To Fly sounded like a different mix so I got it out and first I noticed the asterisk were gone, then I played it and thought all three were different. Now it's pretty much confirmed.

I wonder if Wallace remixed the whole record or just those three tracks. It'd certainly be interesting to hear the whole thing from his point of view.
Could you tell me where you were looking? I'm hoarding Vinyl rips of cds I own but have trouble finding them.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- Leeds Festival 05 -- MEN Arena 05 -- Hyde Park 06 -- Metro Arena 07 -- Eastlands stadium 08 -
Old March 7th 2013, 12:37 PM
The Sidekick

Where I was looking at the comments about the Vinyl rip? It was a private torrent site.

--