Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old October 20th 2017, 10:28 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Default How We all became mega-fans

I think its fair to say if you are on this forum you are among one of the biggest Foo Fighter fans. I know there is a thread on which song got you hooked but I dont think that will ever adequately explain how we all became such huge fans who are willing to spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars on foo merch and shows.
Old October 20th 2017, 10:36 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Default Re: How We all became mega-fans

I knew in the summer of 2014 I had listened to wasting light and heard a few of their other songs specifically "All My Life" on the radio. Then on vacation I saw their greatest hits at a CD store and realized i had heard and liked most of the songs so i figured why not buy it. I spent the entire 16 hour car ride home listening to that CD and decided I wanted to follow the band to the end of the earth.
Old October 21st 2017, 11:08 AM
Ready on your mark

I'd appreciated them as I grew up but the period that really got me onboard to the mega-fan degree was WL. It wasn't just the music - although the album shook me awake when I needed something to do it and it's a collection that still hasn't gotten old for me. It was what was happening around the music that got my attention. I was tagged in a post with a clip of Dave ejecting that guy from the audience at the iTunes Festival and that moment got me to liking them as people. Then the Westboro counter-protest happened. I still remember where I was when I saw it: I was working as a hostess on a karaoke bus (yeah) and we'd dropped the party off at a pub for lunch, so I was taking a break outside, idly browsing through my phone. This came up and I was cackling on my own on a bench. I had massive respect for that. Knowing that they're a band who are willing not just to make fun of themselves, but to use their platform to refuse hate, sealed the deal.

Adelaide / Sydney, 2011
Brisbane / Sydney / Adelaide, 2015
Gold Coast, 2015 (Chevy Metal)
Philadelphia, 2016 (Chevy Metal)
Sydney, 2017 (Chevy Metal)
Adelaide / Brisbane / Sydney, 2018
Old October 21st 2017, 12:41 PM
A star burned out

I was 15 and TINLTL had just come out which means the Learn to Fly video was on heavy rotation on MTV, I was glued to the channel just to catch the video everytime it was on because it was so funny but I was also starting to enjoy the music as well, it was fun, catchy, well crafted and I realized it was the drummer from Nirvana. I was impressed with his ability to carry a band on his own and such a high quality one, all that combined got me hooked and it just grew from there.

the next step was buying the TINLTL record, I listened to it nonstop for days which took me on another trip to the record store to get the previous 2 albums, then it was the 3 on heavy rotation on my portable cd player, by week 2 I knew all the words to all the songs and then the biggest milestone was discovering Napster and having access to live versions, the first one I got was Learn to Fly because it was the song that got me hooked, I listened to it and it was so wildly different, so raw and real that made me go "that's it, these guys have my fandom for life", of course it wasn't literally like that, I just felt like that, now I'm 33 and that hasn't changed so I guess that was really indeed a very real feeling.
• Jan 14 2001 - Rio de Janeiro | Jun 24 2006 - Osasco/SP (Jackson United) | Jun 26 2006 - São Paulo (Jackson United) | Apr 7 2012 - São Paulo| Jan 23 2015 - São Paulo | Feb 27 2018 - São Paulo | Feb 28 2018 - São Paulo •
Old October 22nd 2017, 04:44 PM
Team Pat

When I was 13, I heard I'll Stick Around on the radio (like within a month of the first album coming out), and thought it was the most awesome song ever. I've been hooked ever since, and loved getting the albums back when release days were a big deal. Saw them live in 2000 with the Chili Peppers and it was a great show. Got married, poor, had kids, and have started going back to shows again. They put on the best concerts ever.

The Colour and the Shape is still one of my favorite albums of all time. I listen to at least a song off of it a day.

2000-Bloomington, IN
Poor or had little kids for 15 years
2015-Noblesville/Indy
2017-Chicago (Metro), Knoxville, Cincinnati
2018-Lexington, Memphis, Nashville, Noblesville/Indy, Wrigley x2, Kansas City, St. Louis, Detroit, Milwaukee, St. Paul
2019 Atlanta

Upcoming:
5/15/19 New Orleans
5/16/19 New Orleans
5/19/19 Sonic Temple Festival
Old October 22nd 2017, 06:05 PM
I'll Stick Around

nirvana live tonight sold out video on vhs. Then foos first album and Live at Brixton Academy 1995 MTV live show. I was hooked! I was very young and from debut to the colour and the shape seemed like 20years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_nLgBQ2-dU
Milton Keynes Bowl 2011
Reading Festival 2012
Manchester - Old Trafford 2015
Lollapalooza - Berlin 2017
London - o2 Arena 2017
Manchester City Stadium 2018
London Stadium 2018

Last edited by dolittle : October 22nd 2017 at 06:13 PM.
Old October 22nd 2017, 09:27 PM
How Do You Do

Fan from Nirvana. Heard drummer had started his own band. Didn't even know his name as was obsessed with Kurt Cobain. "Food Fighters??" I believe were my initial words.

Admin @FooFightersUK
Old October 22nd 2017, 09:49 PM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.B.gene View Post
Fan from Nirvana. Heard drummer had started his own band. Didn't even know his name as was obsessed with Kurt Cobain. "Food Fighters??" I believe were my initial words.
food and fighting. food fighters, would of set a new trend in the mosh hope it was kababs not cakes, not got a sweet tooth
Milton Keynes Bowl 2011
Reading Festival 2012
Manchester - Old Trafford 2015
Lollapalooza - Berlin 2017
London - o2 Arena 2017
Manchester City Stadium 2018
London Stadium 2018
Old October 23rd 2017, 12:52 PM
Have you found your way around

Had 4 older sisters growing up in the 90s. Two oldest were heavy into the grunge/alternative scene. My parents made them take me to their show in 96 in Milwaukee so they wouldn't pull any shenanigans knowing they had their little brother to look out for.

The show was a huge enlightenment for me. Very much like the scene from Almost Famous where the sister gives him her records. I became obsessed as a kid.
Old October 23rd 2017, 02:04 PM
Harriet Jones, MP for Flydale North

I was diagnosed with MS in 2001 and the medicine I had to take was a shot, into the muscle in my thigh once a week, next day I felt like I had the flu. In order to get my guts up to shoot myself, I’d watch Foo videos on the Tivo and they’d make me feel better, make me laugh and then I was able to shoot myself.

First show was maybe 2002 in Northern VA and then in July of 2003 I won tickets, a flight and hotel to Montreal (from Virginia) from a radio station.

I started hanging out on this board, made a lot of friends and acquaintances over the year by being on this board nearly every day.

For me the band is he reason I have all these friends (some don’t really care for the band anymore!)
A lot of us (US, Canana, UK, Aus and Europe) have visited one another in person doing things that have nothing to do with the band.

Every time the band does something clever (garage shows, HBO doc) it make me feel proud to be a fan. They don’t fuck off, they don’t come on stage late, they’re just a fucking hard ass working band and I love them.

PS—I have since been un diagnosed with MS in around 2006. Long boring story.

My friend mj has always been the one person "Oh, come on, Atlanta isn't that far! Lets go see them!!!!" she's my partner in crime for the shows and without her I would not have done 1/4 of the stuff I've done.
Old October 23rd 2017, 02:12 PM
The Sidekick

I just bought the TrueFan™ package a few years ago. Nobody else get that? It upgrades you to TrueFan™ status immediately.

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Old October 23rd 2017, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
I just bought the TrueFan™ package a few years ago. Nobody else get that? It upgrades you to TrueFan™ status immediately.
I got the RealFan™ package. It makes sure that everyone knows I'm a RealFan™ on all social media and forums at all times.
House of Vans, 11th September 2014
Islington Assembly Hall, 12th September 2014
Invictus Games, 14th September 2014
Wembley Stadium, 20th June 2015
o2 Arena, 19th September 2017
London Stadium, 22nd & 23rd June 2018
Future: Pula?
Old October 23rd 2017, 02:38 PM
Harriet Jones, MP for Flydale North

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lharris92 View Post
I got the RealFan™ package. It makes sure that everyone knows I'm a RealFan™ on all social media and forums at all times.
Yeah, but I got mine on the presale
Old October 23rd 2017, 04:27 PM
Raider of Lost Arks

Yeah. TrueFan™ presale is where all the cool kids are

Learn To Fly. And then here. And then I actually made friends with people here. And it's kind of stuck even now.

Old October 23rd 2017, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaInVA View Post

But the RealFan™ answer is:

around 2005 heard My Hero for the first time, got hooked on them, saw them at the first of two nights at Wembley stadium.

As for here? got caught up in the furore of the club gigs in 2014 (was on a different forum mainly at that time), joined up and have stuck around since (really it's the only forum I use). Also since 2015 been collecting shed loads of posters/merch (not on other peoples levels), enough to break a bank balance.
House of Vans, 11th September 2014
Islington Assembly Hall, 12th September 2014
Invictus Games, 14th September 2014
Wembley Stadium, 20th June 2015
o2 Arena, 19th September 2017
London Stadium, 22nd & 23rd June 2018
Future: Pula?
Old October 23rd 2017, 04:55 PM
Visiting is pretty...

As a teenager in the 90's I followed Nirvana religiously, then the mess happened.

Then there was Foo Fighters. Heard their music and was instantly hooked. So my first Foo show was back in 1995 at Rendon Inn in New Orleans, and that was all she wrote. Remember Pat standing outside by the bus trying to light a cig, with a crowd of people nervously standing about 5ft away from him. I whipped out my lighter, said allow me, and we chatted for a few minutes. Good times! Been following them ever since.

My best friend and I have a tradition, we go to at least one show per tour, alternating who travels where. Most recently, we both went down to DC for the Anthem opening. Now with them playing Boston, NYC, and Philly, the "fight" is on to decide who will travel where (I'm in Boston, he's in Philly). God and luck willing, will be scoring tickets on Monday for at least the Fenway shows.

Sidebar: I need a new poster room! I missed out on a poster from the Anthem, but I won't be missing out again!
Old October 23rd 2017, 05:10 PM

I was a Nirvana fan also but for whatever reason never saw them. Biggest regret was not seeing them play small venues in Edinburgh.

Dave and Kurt played a now legendary unpublicised post-gig acoustic set in a pub in Edinburgh called The Southsider I believe.

Anyway, I bought all the Foos singles and albums from day 1 as I wanted to see what the Nirvana man could do. I did similar with Krist's but couldn't get into Sweet 75 or his other projects.
The Alarm, Glasgow, May
Iron Maiden - Newcastle, May
Iron Maiden - Glasgow Hydro, May
Kiss - Glasgow Hydro, May
Guns 'N' Roses - London, June
Old October 23rd 2017, 05:32 PM
Normal

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lharris92 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaInVA View Post
Please can someone PM me the code to any/all of these!
Old October 23rd 2017, 05:35 PM
I'd rather leave than suffer this

Quote:
Originally Posted by wol View Post
Please can someone PM me the code to any/all of these!
No, you've not been a member long enough!!!
24.08.12 Leeds Festival
11.09.14 House of Vans
14.09.14 Olympic Park
27.05.15 Manchester LCCC
06.09.15 MK Bowl
09.11.15 Krakow
24.02.17 Cheese and Grain
25.06.17 Glastonbury Festival
03.07.17 Paris
07.07.17 NOS Alive
19.09.17 O2 Arena
11.06.18 Antwerp
19.06.18 Manchester Etihad
22.06.18 Olympic Stadium
23.06.18 Olympic Stadium

and for the 'we are on a break tour 2019' 19.06.19 Pula Arena
Old October 23rd 2017, 05:36 PM
Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
No, you've not been a member long enough!!!
Oh no But I have all their albums and everything!