Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old October 24th 2017, 10:24 PM
Normal

Default Re: How We all became mega-fans

Awww Dug, thanks for sharing your story <3
Old October 25th 2017, 12:10 PM
I'll Stick Around

Hmmm... I was about twelve or so I think and a friend gave me and my brother a copy of the Colour and the Shape.

I didn't like it at first, couldn't see why my brother listened to it, then all of a sudden one day it just clicked.
I can't remember now if it was Monkey Wrench or Everlong, but I think it was Monkey Wrench.

I'd gone from not really liking them at all to just having to listen to the song. We bought all their albums and, along with the RHCP, they became the sound track to my life. Got me through all sorts of shit, depression and hard times. I honestly believe I wouldn't be here and the person I am if not for the Foos.
And through the Foos I got into a lot of other stuff, Soundgarden etc. music that really spoke to me in a way nothing more modern did.

Then 10 (nearly 11) years ago I met the most awesome wonderful woman online who liked all the same music I did. RHCP was our first joint obsession but when Wasting Light came out we bought fell in love with the Foos all over again. We've gone to see them every chance we've had since then.
Old October 25th 2017, 12:28 PM
I'll Stick Around

I had heard of Foo Fighters a while before I bought a release by them. The first release I bought was the Big Me single back in 1996 and I loved the B-sides, it was the one with the BBC sessions of Alone + Easy Target, Floaty and Gas Chamber. I didn't actually buy an album until The Colour and the Shape came out and got that, but I also bought all of the UK singles from that album and followed the band closely from there onwards. However, the fact that Dave had been Nirvana's drummer is a lot to do with why I started following them as well if I am being honest, but since then, and quite a long time ago now, Foo Fighters have come into their own and in some ways have out done Nirvana: they might not have had an album that has sold as much as Nevermind worldwide (or Unplugged or In Utero for that matter) but they have successfully headlined many stadium shows and festivals over the years which seems to be their bread and butter, and the longevity of the band's success is what they deserve. To constantly come out with perfect album after album and hold up the flag for real music.

14/09/2014, 23/06/2018
Old October 25th 2017, 03:19 PM
Misbehaving in Rest Home w/ the FOOS

I posted a few days earlier about traumatic events that helped me find the Foos and yes, I geeked out a bit.. no shame in my Foo game. But I'm posting again today, I hope it's 'ok'.
I don't think about those traumatic events as much as I used to. I'm a little older now. A little more mature (prolly because I have takin a liking for dry red wine) I just wanted to say one last thing (before I quit ) ....

I Adore the Foos (I am a mega fan) because they work their asses off, while not actually working at all ; ). They Hit us hard, and when we think they're done with us-they hit us Harder. They're funny. They enjoy their craft, and oh, they're damn GOOD at it. They're so Smart. I can tell they are smart...and I LIKE it. They have the ability to Connect with sooo many people on so many levels. They have the ability to lift us UP. Actually, they possess a very rare gift, to lift us all up. That is inspiring, and it makes me want to do good too. These rare Gifts, are in the right hands, and they use them well. The Foo fighters fight the GOOD fight, and that is why this mature fan is a mega fan. Thank you for the opportunity to share our love and be part of an amazing group of folks. Excellent post topic. Cheers friends. Cheers, Foo family

Last edited by Amy_B_FooHawk_MovedOn : October 25th 2017 at 03:22 PM.
Old October 25th 2017, 05:17 PM
The Holy Shits' #1 fan

The Everywhere But Home DVD.

I was really into concert videos in high school. I had some bootleg Nirvana VHS tapes that i wore out watching over and over. In fact, I basically taught myself how to play guitar watching the Nirvana Unplugged boot I had.

So I got Everywhere But Home for Christmas that year in 2003 and that performance blew my fucking my mind. I was starting to really get into the band right before this, but wasn't a huge fan yet. In fact I only had TCATS and 1x1 at that point. The first time I ever heard Aurora was from that DVD.

I joined the board in September of 2004 after lurking for about 6 months before that. I've been hooked ever since.

October 15, 2005 - Worcester, MA
August 22, 2006 - Boston, MA (Acoustic Tour)
October 9, 2007 - Glens Falls, NY
February 18, 2008 - Worcester, MA
March 17, 2008 - Montreal, QC (St. Patty's Day with the Foos)
June 20, 2014 - Dover, DE Firefly Music Festival
July 4, 2015 - Washington, D.C. (20th Anniversary)
July 18, 2015 - Boston, MA (Fenway Park)
Old October 25th 2017, 05:22 PM
The Holy Shits' #1 fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by offbeatblink View Post
The Foozer tour in 05. I really enjoyed Foo Fighters and Dave and Nirvana and all that stuff before that show, but I was actually a bigger Weezer fan at the time. The Blue album was the soundtrack to our high school lives back then. So Weezer comes on, plays a great set. My friend even gets picked to play Undone on guitar with the band. I thought, nothing is going to top this. Boy was I wrong.

This was back in the day when the band use to tease with the curtains and then WHAM, curtain drop. Full on rock show! I still remember that feeling of actually seeing Dave a few feet away. Weezer was great and all, but these guys fucking rocked. I was 17 and I caught the bug. There's no going back now.
Dude, that was also my first live Foo moment. The opening chord to In Your Honor - the raising of that circular curtain thing that was surrounding the band - and there's Dave standing there, chomping on his fucking Dentyne Ice with that big ol' shit eater on his face. I sure as shit almost fainted like I was a 16 year old seeing the Beatles on Ed Sullivan.

October 15, 2005 - Worcester, MA
August 22, 2006 - Boston, MA (Acoustic Tour)
October 9, 2007 - Glens Falls, NY
February 18, 2008 - Worcester, MA
March 17, 2008 - Montreal, QC (St. Patty's Day with the Foos)
June 20, 2014 - Dover, DE Firefly Music Festival
July 4, 2015 - Washington, D.C. (20th Anniversary)
July 18, 2015 - Boston, MA (Fenway Park)
Old October 25th 2017, 05:32 PM
Have you found your way around

For me it was:
  • Huge Nirvana fan
  • '95, during the Pearl Jam Self Polution radio special,
  • ...Eddie announces he's playing 2 tracks from Dave Grohl,
  • .... Exhausted & Gas Chamber! I added them to my Nirvana b-sides mix
  • Bought FF album when it came out, loved it!
  • Before TCATS came out, heard Enough Space played on TV special (VH1?)
  • I was a mega fan at that very moment!
Old October 25th 2017, 07:10 PM
Lions, and tigers, and bears! Oh, my!

I was a Nirvana fan but wasn't a mega fan so I didn't follow Dave after Nirvana but was aware of some of the FF tracks from hearing them on the radio.

A girl I was working with in 2000 was a huge Foo fan - she gave me copies of the albums (FF, TCATS, TINLTL), I listened to them and I was hooked.

I went through some really shitty stuff in 2000 and those albums got me through some really dark times and the band became more meaningful than just the music.
Old October 25th 2017, 07:13 PM
Normal

All these Nirvana stories make me smile. I was a huge fan myself after all.
Old October 25th 2017, 07:42 PM
I'll Stick Around

I know it started watching Skin & Bones with my wife. I was always a "fan" since the first album, but then something just clicked for both of us. It wasn't even that gradual. From NJ I never got the Bruce adoration and following. I guess I had to find my own band.
Old October 25th 2017, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutador de foo View Post
Dude, that was also my first live Foo moment. The opening chord to In Your Honor - the raising of that circular curtain thing that was surrounding the band - and there's Dave standing there, chomping on his fucking Dentyne Ice with that big ol' shit eater on his face. I sure as shit almost fainted like I was a 16 year old seeing the Beatles on Ed Sullivan.
Exact same deal for me. Losing all but one of my friends in the semi-mosh pit during the Weezer set, refusing to let go of the great spot on the rail... then the curtain coming up slowly and Dave smiling at the crowd as IYH plays. When he started singing, I was pretty much in heaven. Not many moments, if any, will ever top that in concertgoing for me.
2011: St. Paul
2015: St. Paul, Chicago (Wrigley), Anaheim (9/19)
2017: Chicago (Metro), Madison, Des Moines, Sioux Falls
2018: Milwaukee, St. Paul
Old October 25th 2017, 08:33 PM
I'll Stick Around

I've been a lowkey Dave fangirl since around 1996, when I discovered Nirvana as a teen

But to my eternal shame I only became a FF fan recently (ahem this summer ahem). I have no idea why it never occurred to me to get into them before. Total 20-year long brain fart.

Also, like someone else above, what tipped me over from "cool music guys" to "I'm such a fan!" was realizing what an awesome bunch of guys they are. I love their attitude just as much as I love their music.
Old October 26th 2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaInVA View Post
Yeah, theres no club. Follow the FF official twitter and Facebook accounts. Follow threads on this board. Make friends and acquaintances on here (people you feel comfortable with, people you can trust)
If you can get presale codes, tickets almost always pop up the closer it gets to the date of the show. Be sensible, be nice but be careful.

Nobody on this board is an "official" fan, or can do anything special. just follow them on all they official social media accounts. Foo Fighter accounts, Dave isn't on any social media.

Best of luck friend. :-)
I think we can declare ourselves official fans.
Metro, Chicago, Lollapalooza 2012
Milwaukee, WI Wasting Light Tour 2012
Cubby Bear, Sonic Highways Chicago, 2014
Indianapolis, Sonic Highways IN 2015
Chicago, IL Wrigley 2015
Metro, Chicago, Lollapalooza 2017
Madison, WI 2017
Champaign, IL 2017
Indy 2018
Wrigley 2018 x 2
Old October 26th 2017, 02:02 PM
Harriet Jones, MP for Flydale North

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsotime2 View Post
I think we can declare ourselves official fans.
Your statement makes more sense,it doesn't really matter if you saw them in the 90's and became a fan or just started liking them because of "The Sky is a Neighborhood"
Some get the opportunity to see them live more often, but if you're a fan, you're a fan
Old October 26th 2017, 04:02 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Always really liked the songs but never realised how much until they announced the Ullevi show and I just felt "I have to go"!! ...and then Dave broke his leg and the rest is history....
Old October 27th 2017, 03:15 AM
Hanging on here until I'm gone

It was freshman year of high school in 1989 and I was madly in love with my first boyfriend, who happen to be a drummer in a local band and also a senior in HS. So of course being a "basic girl" before the term "basic girl" existed, I instantly crushed on every drummer I was introduced too via music and my then BF.

Billy Berry was the first, as R.E.M was my very first concert with that BF, and as hard I tried, I never felt the connection no matter how much the BF mused about his skill. After that came my favorite dick head in the world, Lars Ulrich, and as much as I loved his attitude and enjoyed many a teenagers nights to "One", there was just something about Lars that felt distant and snobby, regardless of his talent.

Then one weekend in late 1991, I was newly single and in a corn field with about 20 other drunk small town teenagers, I happen to be flirting with the center of the football team when a song came on the radio that wasn't like anything else we were currently listening too. We drank Genesee and listened to BIG HAIR SATURDAY NIGHT! We didn't listen to whatever that was...

But I listened that night, and I felt something that night, so I went home, thanked god that we actually had cable and I watched MTV all night just to see what that song was...well it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what melodic melody that was or who it was by.

Now old habits died hard in young girls, even in young girls who move on from cheating drummers to sweet gentle-giant football linemen. And it wasn't the troubled lead singer that drew me in, it was the skinny kid on the drums with the big grin he was trying to surpress, that kid seemed joyful, and I could get behind joyful.

Now here we are 25 plus years later and I happily married to that sweet lineman for 23 years, and that skinny kid with the long dark hair who wailed on those drums is now the lead singer in a band that has gotten me through some pretty hard times, especially this year, and while the music might not always be joyful, you can see the joy in that lead singer and the band-mates he chose.

So that folks is how one silly girl became a life long fan, would I call myself a mega fan...nope, could I name you every song on every album, hell no! All I can tell you is that there are Foo songs that are just so overwhelming on a deep and personal level and I think having that type of profound connection to someone else's art is more than enough to meet the bare minimum requirement to be called a fan.
Old November 1st 2017, 03:36 AM
Looking for a dime, but found a quarter

As a kid who grew up in a home full of nothing but country radio and TV of the 1990s, I still like some of it, I found modern rock radio as a middle schooler. I knew of Nirvana and Pearl Jam and Soundgarden...and Spin Doctors and Green Day, etc., but never had anything pull me in like the first time I heard Monkey Wrench on 93.7 The Edge in the Twin Cities in May of 1997. I was in 8th grade. It was the beginning stages of the internet in school and I wore out yahoo doing Foo Fighters research.
I didn't know Dave was the Nirvana drummer until then. I had heard This Is A Call on the radio before, but wasn't paying enough attention. **I was very pre-occupied by playing sports and a specific pretty girl at this time** I saw that the band would be on my favorite show to watch with my Grandpa, Letterman, the next night.
Seeing the real life version of Monkey Wrench, being wowed by Hawkins, seeing Dave state the same, learning that The Colour and the Shape would be out the following Tuesday, having my dad drive me 45 miles or so to the nearest Best Buy so I could buy the tape (yes, I loved tapes and refused CDs for a while. Now I love vinyl and tapes and still refuse CDs if at all possible), listening to that tape so many times that I had to replace it, introducing Everlong to my friends before it was a hit, and having my Grandma buy me my first "music shirt", a TCATS t, are all such fond memories.
My excitement for new Foo music has not waned since.

~July 12, 2003 (St. Paul)
~October 2, 2005 (St. Paul)
~February 27, 2008 (Minneapolis)
~September 14, 2011 (St. Paul)
~August 22, 2015 (St. Paul)
~October 18, 2018 (St. Paul)
Old November 1st 2017, 06:39 AM
Button up, don't make a sound

I was a teenager in the 90's and loved Nirvana. Was in shock when it ended and was hoping for more. When I heard Dave was making his own music I was immediately a fan. How bad ass that he made the whole album by himself. I liked it but I never played it over and over as there was Bush, Silverchair, smashing pumpkins and so much more. I was getting into Zeppelin and Floyd. There was only so much time to listen to the FF. I didn't start buying the albums on the release date until In Your Honor and have ever since.

I'm no "mega fan" but I'd love to be one. I'd love to follow them on tour if I could. I became a bigger fan after I had good seats and saw them on the Skin and Bones tour. I saw them in 2000 with the RHCP but don't even have much of a recollection of it as I sat in the lawn. I've only seen one of their rock shows as a headliner in 2008 in an arena. It was the tour for ESPG and I was reading reviews and checking out setlists before hand. I knew they all went down the stage runway to a smaller stage at the other end of the court for the acoustic set. I got GA tickets and was second row at the small stage. At the end of that segment Dave smashed his acoustic guitar and threw it right at us. The guy in the first row in front of me got it. Ohhh what could have been. I've been itching to see them again and have to wait until July but I have my pavilion tickets center stage!

Last edited by Boiler00Hex : November 1st 2017 at 06:41 AM.
Old November 1st 2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked_gravity View Post
For me it was:
  • Huge Nirvana fan
  • '95, during the Pearl Jam Self Polution radio special,
  • ...Eddie announces he's playing 2 tracks from Dave Grohl,
  • .... Exhausted & Gas Chamber! I added them to my Nirvana b-sides mix
  • Bought FF album when it came out, loved it!
  • Before TCATS came out, heard Enough Space played on TV special (VH1?)
  • I was a mega fan at that very moment!
Exhausted so good
Metro, Chicago, Lollapalooza 2012
Milwaukee, WI Wasting Light Tour 2012
Cubby Bear, Sonic Highways Chicago, 2014
Indianapolis, Sonic Highways IN 2015
Chicago, IL Wrigley 2015
Metro, Chicago, Lollapalooza 2017
Madison, WI 2017
Champaign, IL 2017
Indy 2018
Wrigley 2018 x 2
Old November 1st 2017, 03:28 PM
Button up, don't make a sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevgreg View Post
Exact same deal for me. Losing all but one of my friends in the semi-mosh pit during the Weezer set, refusing to let go of the great spot on the rail... then the curtain coming up slowly and Dave smiling at the crowd as IYH plays. When he started singing, I was pretty much in heaven. Not many moments, if any, will ever top that in concertgoing for me.
Hey, wasn't the Skin and Bones show in Auditorium Theatre great? That was the best concert I've ever been to! How was Wrigley Field??
7/26/2018 - Ruoff Music Center - Noblesville, IN (Indy)