Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old July 4th 2018, 12:20 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Default Selling Foo merch collection :( tax help?

Hi!

Myself and my wife are buying a house across the country and will be downsizing significantly to be able to afford it. I'm going to be selling off my significant record/CD collection, including a lot of Foo stuff (sadly rarely used however, we went digital after moving to Sonos for audio). I was wondering if I will incur tax from selling these? I'm expecting a slightly significant amount of money from it all once it's sold, and I can imagine HMRC will want a slice of it I've been using this wage and tax calculator to work out what money we have for the house and added what I'm expecting to get from selling things and it adds another £500 in tax!

Could someone help me out here? Many thanks
Old July 4th 2018, 01:01 PM
Fooper!

Default Re: Selling Foo merch collection :( tax help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanFrost View Post
Hi!

Myself and my wife are buying a house across the country and will be downsizing significantly to be able to afford it. I'm going to be selling off my significant record/CD collection, including a lot of Foo stuff (sadly rarely used however, we went digital after moving to Sonos for audio). I was wondering if I will incur tax from selling these? I'm expecting a slightly significant amount of money from it all once it's sold, and I can imagine HMRC will want a slice of it I've been using this wage and tax calculator to work out what money we have for the house and added what I'm expecting to get from selling things and it adds another £500 in tax!

Your best bet is to sell on eBay or Discogs. Look up what each individual item has sold for in the past. I would imagine you would only have to pay tax if you were a business selling on either platform. There maybe rules I donít know about selling up to X amount & paying tax. If so, declare it. Itís doubtful you would get away with it.
Etihad Stadium,Manchester 2018
Sportpaleis Arena,Antwerp,2018
O2 Arena,London,2017
Nos Alive Festival,Lisbon,2017
Accor Arena,Paris,France,2017
Cheese & Grain,Frome,2017
Krakow Tauron Arena,2015
Milton Keynes National Bowl x2,2015
Lancashire CCC Ground,2015
Invictus Closing Concert,2014
Sound City Players, London,2013
Leeds Fest,2012
Milton Keynes,2011
Wembley Stadium,2008
Manchester City Stadium,2008
Old July 4th 2018, 01:29 PM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanFrost View Post
Hi!

Does this help? The case study is very close to your own situation

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/e...Bay-taxed.html

It sounds to me like wouldn't be considered to be trading and would not be required to pay tax on this. But, not a tax lawyer!
Old July 8th 2018, 09:12 PM
Easy For YOU To Say

In most countries no taxation is payable when selling your own personal items, you paid tax on the money you used to buy them in the first place. this is still true even if you make a profit, with exceptions in a lot of places for land and buildings which can incur capital gain tax

If you are in the business of selling thats a different thing but as a private citizen reselling your own personal items you should not have tax to pay. It would be very very hard to prove the tax amount anyway - as you would have to sell for more than you bought for (make a profit) - and the purchase would be years ago in many cases.

I was there
Old July 8th 2018, 10:02 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Who cares about the tax - WHAT ARE YOU SELLING?
Milton Keynes Bowl, 2nd July 2011
O2 Arena, 18th November 2007
Glastonbury, 26th June 1998
V97 Hylands Park, 17th August 1997
THEM CROOKED VULTURES
Hammersmith Apollo, 18th December 2009
Hammersmith Apollo, 17th December 2009
Brixton Academy, 26th August 2009