Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > Foo Side Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old June 7th 2010, 06:22 PM
Never knowing who to believe

Default Probot - Access Babylon

Alec Empire - 'Tear It Out Remix' (2002)

http://www.we7.com/#/track/Tear-It-Out!trackId=3864561

After listening to Alec Empire's brilliant "Intelligence and Sacrifice" for the first time years today, this hit me for the first time. Can't mistake that guitar riff.

I know that 'Access Babylon' was Mike Dean from Corrosion of Conformity, but did Alec Empire have anything to do with the song, or is there a story/contribution that I've missed?
Old June 28th 2010, 07:26 AM
Cause everyone's just too weird

Default Re: Probot - Access Babylon

Weird.

Sounds like he just ripped it off his own copy of the Probot CD. WTF? Sounds he just added some goofy electronic FX.

EDIT: Found this online.
Quote:
Tear It Out" (Remix) is an alternate version of a track originally intended for Dave Grohl's Probot project. The project consisted of instrumental tracks recorded by Grohl, with vocals provided by several well-known heavy metal singers. When Probot was finally released, Empire's contribution was not used. Instead, the track was re-recorded with new lyrics and vocals by Mike Dean of Corrosion of Conformity and it became known as "Access Babylon".
And this.
Quote:
German techno noise animal ALEC EMPIRE (ex-ATARI TEENAGE RIOT) has issued a statement explaining the absence of Dave Grohl's name in the credits for the ALEC EMPIRE CD "Intelligence & Sacrifice", which features the backing track for what eventually became the PROBOT (Grohl's much-acclaimed "metal" side-project) cut "Access Babylon".

"Dave Grohl and me hung out at the Big Day Out in Australia in 2000," Alec explained in a recent online posting. "We talked about doing a collaboration and later he sent me a tape with a couple of backing tracks. One of these was the backing track for the song which became [the ALEC EMPIRE song] 'Tear It Out'. At the time Dave explained PROBOT was just the collective name he had for a bunch of collaborations he was considering. Later, as the idea developed, he decided he wanted PROBOT to be a platform for an older generation of singers and I didn't really fit in.

"In the meantime we were sitting on our version of 'Tear It Out', which we loved, and it seemed a pity there didn't seem to be any prospect of putting it out. I was putting CD1 of 'Intelligence & Sacrifice' together and the energy of 'Tear It Out' fitted perfectly. We got permission from Dave, but it was so last minute we fucked up the credit on the artwork. While it meant no one would know of his involvement from the sleeve there was another consideration. FOO FIGHTERS and Dave had a very high profile at the time and there were a lot of examples of artists using other artist's names for their own advantage. We could have balanced out the missing credit by announcing to the press but I didn't want to trade on his name. We wanted 'Tear It Out' on 'I&S' because it was a great track, not because it was it was a collaboration with Dave.

"Of course we pay Dave record and publishing royalties on the track and when the time comes to repress we'll change the artwork. We had no idea the same backing track was being used on the PROBOT album but it's cool track on a very cool album."

Last edited by OldFooFan : June 28th 2010 at 07:38 AM.
Old June 28th 2010, 02:20 PM
Have you found your way around

interesting stuff. Certainly not a patch on the probot version!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- Leeds Festival 05 -- MEN Arena 05 -- Hyde Park 06 -- Metro Arena 07 -- Eastlands stadium 08 -
Old July 5th 2010, 03:04 AM
Never knowing who to believe

Thanks for the info, OFF.
Old July 5th 2010, 04:07 AM
Have you found your way around

This makes me wonder if there is other interesting stuff from the Probot period that is unreleased...
Stockholm Stadion, Stockholm 062211

Ullevi, Gothenburg 061215