Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > Tour Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old November 13th 2011, 02:50 PM
I'd rather leave than suffer this

Default Re: Washington D.C. - Verizon Center

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntgrl View Post
Hello Fierce...hope you recover soon! Which one were you in line? The brother, the other brother or Ashton?
Hey. I was in a group of three guys including a brother, a younger brother, and a friend. I was the younger brother in the gray hoodie that, needless to say, was not warm enough for being in line that long. Also, we had burritos.
Old November 13th 2011, 03:20 PM
Yo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fierce View Post
Hey. I was in a group of three guys including a brother, a younger brother, and a friend. I was the younger brother in the gray hoodie that, needless to say, was not warm enough for being in line that long. Also, we had burritos.
Ah, you were the younger brother. I'm the gal who was wearing the long sweater and boots standing in front of you.
Old November 13th 2011, 03:40 PM
Harriet Jones, MP for Flydale North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara View Post
Hush Tarquin, he might have hurled but he did apologise for his friends being dicks. We're playing nice with this one now.
the boy next to you still needs to be introduced to the modern concept of deodorant.
Old November 13th 2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntgrl View Post
Ah, you were the younger brother. I'm the gal who was wearing the long sweater and boots standing in front of you.
Oh, I remember you of course. I'm Hunter by the way, it was nice meeting you guys.
Old November 13th 2011, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foosfanatic View Post
Had the BEST TIME standing in line freezing my arse off! Wouldnt have it any other way It was totally awesome! But Im beginning to feel a bit of PFD(aka Post Foo Depression;}) It's good to be home(sorta-I guess -missed the "kids" (four legged ones) but missing the fun and anticipation of "the next show". BTW DonnaInVA- did you get the spot you wanted? I have been wondering about ya since the show Good to meet all of you! It was a righteously good time!!!:0
I was very close to where I wanted to be--still on the rail. Tickets got to the box office a bit late and then they held me up in line to take my liscene plate (bummer) but it all ended very well
Old November 13th 2011, 03:51 PM
Yo.

Quote:
Oh, I remember you of course. I'm Hunter by the way, it was nice meeting you guys.
*waves hello!*
Old November 13th 2011, 05:54 PM
I AM EVERYWHERE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaInVA View Post
the boy next to you still needs to be introduced to the modern concept of deodorant.
Yup. He reeked.
Homer: "Oh Lisa, I just meant that marriage is like a coffin. And each kid is another nail..."
Enter at your peril. I will not be held responsible.

"To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded."-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old November 13th 2011, 08:22 PM
Have you found your way around

Im "not getting" the board yet---re: replying to a specific post etc---I dont "get it"?!;D
Old November 13th 2011, 08:23 PM

AH-HA!LOL!;0 just "got it"--lokking forward to my replies?LOL!
Old November 13th 2011, 08:26 PM

Quote:
I was very close to where I wanted to be--still on the rail. Tickets got to the box office a bit late and then they held me up in line to take my liscene plate (bummer) but it all ended very well
Awesome! Good to hear that you got on the railThey TOOK the license plate?OMG! that IS a bummer! but as you said it all ended well-Cool! Hey, do you know if the girl who left to take her calculus test is on here? I wanted to know what grade she got on it!LOL!;D
Old November 13th 2011, 08:34 PM

Talking Re: Washington D.C. - Verizon Center

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara View Post
<3
I second that I heard a little about it but your post kinda just summed it all up!;0 LOL!
Old November 13th 2011, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mingo05 View Post
Yup. Clean up on aisle 3. Security was laughing.
Oh My! haha! That's funny& good thing security was laughing-woulda been way bad if they were pissed. Ah, to be young
Old November 13th 2011, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foosfanatic View Post
Awesome! Good to hear that you got on the railThey TOOK the license plate?OMG! that IS a bummer! but as you said it all ended well-Cool! Hey, do you know if the girl who left to take her calculus test is on here? I wanted to know what grade she got on it!LOL!;D
She was a nice girl, I like her. I am curious as well.
Old November 13th 2011, 10:39 PM
Colors inside the lines

Quote:
She was a nice girl, I like her. I am curious as well.
You didn't get her number? You guys dropped the ball on that one. She was smart, fun and cute.

*wears a helmet at all times*
Old November 13th 2011, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mingo05 View Post
You didn't get her number? You guys dropped the ball on that one. She was smart, fun and cute.
Yeah I was planning on that, but was dragged away after the show. Couldn't say goodbye either. That must've come off really lame, I feel bad.
Old November 13th 2011, 11:38 PM
Yo.

Quote:
Yeah I was planning on that, but was dragged away after the show. Couldn't say goodbye either. That must've come off really lame, I feel bad.
Let this be the one that got away. Don't do it again!
Old November 13th 2011, 11:46 PM

Quote:
she said one of you asked her out.
She thought she did pretty well on that calculus test
Old November 14th 2011, 02:18 AM
Colors inside the lines

Foo old ladies are also matchmakers!

*wears a helmet at all times*
Old November 14th 2011, 02:58 AM
math is fun!

Here is a pretty bland review, doesn't say much about the actual concert, and Dave called the obligatory 20-year Nirvana reference:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Leitko, Washington Post
There can’t be many items left for Dave Grohl to scratch off of his rock-and-roll bucket list. The Springfield-raised musician has been a prime-time MTV fixture since his early 20s, first as drummer for grunge titans Nirvana, then as frontman for his alt-rock band, Foo Fighters.

But, explained Grohl to a capacity crowd at the Verizon Center on Friday night, “This is the first time I’ve sold out the big arena in my home town.” And he promised that the Foo Fighters would perform “every song that we know how to play.” They didn’t quite go that far, but they did deliver a three-hour set peppered with their strongest singles.

The band beefed up its best tunes with expansive, guitar-solo heavy arrangements, drawing out four-minute radio-ready nuggets such as “Monkey Wrench” into ecstatic crescendos. The extra space helped them work the room, supplying extra minutes for Grohl to bound across the stage like Ted Nugent in a fiery loincloth.

This year marks the 20th anniversary and re-release of Nirvana’s greatest and greatest-selling record, "Nevermind,” stoking a wave of early ’90s nostalgia. The Foo Fighters’ most recent record, "Wasting Light,” was recorded with “Nevermind” producer Butch Vig and features contributions from Nirvana bassist Krist Novoselic. But the Foo Fighters have never been a Nirvana sound-alike. As a songwriter, Grohl quickly abandoned grunge, forging his own style of music that owes as much to D.C.’s home-grown punk scene as it does to the Seattle sound of the early ’90s.

Grohl’s biggest rock-and-roll asset is that he’s so likable. He’s a local boy made good — a high school dropout turned superstar, who approaches his job with unchecked vitality, even though he’s been making platinum records since the first Bush administration.
This blog review in the Baltimore Sun is lightweight but has a bit more style and substance:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Trucker
From the opening riffs of “Bridge Burning,” Foo Fighters were locked in, often transitioning from song to song without pause for up to six songs in a row. Grohl, a veteran of the arena setting, and to a lesser extent, drummer Taylor Hawkins, are the showmen of the group.

But rest of the band, including eleventh-hour Nirvana guitarist and smile-machine Pat Smear, are clearly comfortable playing with one another and in front of a large crowd, keeping the pace of each song a half step faster than the album versions without pushing the songs to an unrecognizable tempo.

The band took the stage promptly at 9:02 p.m. (how’s that for timeliness, Axl Rose?) and put on a tight, nearly three-hour set full of the itss extensive catalog of hits. For Grohl, it was a homecoming, as he spent most of his childhood and adolescence in the Virginia suburbs of DC.

After seventeen years and seven studio albums, Foo Fighters' sound has remained constant, so old staples like “Monkey Wrench” and “This is a Call” blend easily with more recent fare like “The Pretender” and “Let it Die.”

Grohl played each of the band’s first seventeen songs with floppy-haired enthusiasm. Unlike, say Trent Reznor’s Nine Inch Nails electronic angst, the poppy grunge sound of the Foo Fighters still works in this setting and with a crowd that likely had to secure child care for the evening before buying tickets.

The audience’s appreciation for Grohl was tested during the encore, which began with the frontman performing by himself on a raised portion of the stage in the middle of the floor. After a few shout outs to local malls and hangouts from his early days, Grohl asked the crowd to do the wave before performing a pair of songs, “Wheels” and “Best of You” on an acoustic guitar.

At this point Grohl’s showmanship and enthusiasm gave way briefly to egotism, as Grohl clearly basked in the cheers from the audience while playing songs, which, stripped of the strength and weight of his professional bandmates, sounded like they could have been performed by any Joe Guitar at your local pub.

Thankfully, the rest of the band returned during “Times Like These” and three more songs. Aftewards, the crowd poured out of the Verizon Center and returned home home, happily drumming along on their minivan steering wheels to “Everlong” just as they had on their hand-me-down Accords 15 years ago.

Setlist:
Bridge Burning
Rope
The Pretender
My Hero
Learn to Fly
White Limo
Arlandria
Breakout
Cold Day in the Sun
Stacked Actors
Walk
Monkey Wrench
Let It Die
These Days
This is a Call
In the Flesh?
All My Life
Encore:
Wheels (acoustic)
Best of You (acoustic)
Times Like These
Dear Rosemary
Breakdown
Everlong
Old November 14th 2011, 04:32 AM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
What do you mean they took your license plate? Did security not let you take it in?